What's Your Favorite Scary Movie?

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Cm4F

Re: What's Your Favorite Scary Movie?

Post by Cm4F »

Quarantine 2 : Terminal
I was surprised b/c it was ten times better than I thought.

Quarantine (1) was not as good but you need to watch it to under stand the second one... :/
ImageImage

I fought dyslexia, and I won!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Iapetus wrote:
Penwrite wrote:
Iapetus wrote:Not even a passing mention of John Carpenter's The Thing? PHILISTINES!

Also,
1. I return!
2. I'm trying a new avatar. :I
John Carpenter's The Thing? I'm sorry, I thought a masterpiece like that went without saying. :P I mean honestly, that movie is a gem. Great pacing, great atmosphere, great music, great story, and absolutely incredible creature effects. I don't think I can recommend it enough, heh.
Hear-hear! ^_^

Speaking of, do you know anything about the upcoming remake of The Thing? All I know about it is what I've seen in commercials. :/
Actually, I know a ton about that movie. First, it isn't a remake, it's a prequel to the John Carpenter film, revealing what happened at the Norwegian base. Yes, I know, it's really kinda dumb that they're calling the prequel the same thing as the movie it's a prequel to, but whatever. According to interviews with the director, the creature effects will be about 70-80% practical, with CGI used here and there to supplement the physical stuff. That makes me really happy, as one of the best things about the John Carpenter movie is the incredible practical effects work.
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

I like the original "The Thing From Another World" "The Thing" not so much. I don't know why, but I just prefer the original.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
D-Singer

Post by D-Singer »

New prequel to The Thing, how could I have possibly missed that?? The first movie as already said, was definitely impressive. Especially for a creature movie that came before we had CGI.

As for my favorite, tough call between Jacob's Ladder and Buried.
Richardson Valley RP: Blood
Edge City RP: Zaya & Cruiser
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Hey, did y'all know that "The Thing" is based off a novel called "Who Goes There?" Yeah, true story.

Also, "Who Goes There?" is an awesomely perfect title for a horror story.
The Grey Wolverine

Id heard that from a friend of mine named Mark, I didn't believe him. Hey did anyone notice that in "The Thing" at one part they showed one guy watching T.V and it was the part from "The Thing From Another World" when they blew the craft out of the water. Also, in Halloween 3 I saw on the T.V one of the characters was watching Halloween 1.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Id heard that from a friend of mine named Mark, I didn't believe him. Hey did anyone notice that in "The Thing" at one part they showed one guy watching T.V and it was the part from "The Thing From Another World" when they blew the craft out of the water. Also, in Halloween 3 I saw on the T.V one of the characters was watching Halloween 1.
I noticed that. It was awesome.
The Grey Wolverine

Yay! High five! *high-fives*
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:Yay! High five! *high-fives*
*high-fives* You know, on a similar note, if I remember correctly, a character is seen watching the movie Scream in Halloween: 20 Years Later. This is funny because the original Halloween is mentioned repeatedly in Scream. I might be remembering this wrong, but I'm certain there's some kind of cross-reference like that somewhere.
1boredcanadian

Post by 1boredcanadian »

Unless it's been said Birdemic!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

1boredcanadian wrote:Unless it's been said Birdemic!
Yeah, that acting is pretty terrifying. *rimshot*
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

The Friday the 13th series was always my favourite series. but if there was one i would recommend to watch because it's just both good and funny?

The original Tremors.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

GameCobra wrote:The Friday the 13th series was always my favourite series. but if there was one i would recommend to watch because it's just both good and funny?

The original Tremors.
Oh heck yeah! That movie is awesome, I used to watch it all the time when I was a kid! :D It's a great mix of both horror and comedy, hearkening back to old B monster movies of the 50s and 60s.
The Grey Wolverine

Penwrite wrote:
The Grey Wolverine wrote:Yay! High five! *high-fives*
*high-fives* You know, on a similar note, if I remember correctly, a character is seen watching the movie Scream in Halloween: 20 Years Later. This is funny because the original Halloween is mentioned repeatedly in Scream. I might be remembering this wrong, but I'm certain there's some kind of cross-reference like that somewhere.
You know what I just remembered, in "Son of the Blob" a guy was watching "The Blob" on T.V before being eaten. And how could I forget, I LOVE THE BLOB!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Ya know, I remember hearing that there was going to be another remake of The Blob. But that was a long time ago, so it's probably been scrapped.

edit: well, I just got finished watching Paranormal Activity. Good movie, very scary. Though I don't most modern audiences have the patience for its kind of scary.
valerio

Post by valerio »

we-ell, to be honest, my very first TV scare was the episode Force of Life, from the series Space: 1999. heck, that was also my very first (short) zombi appearance! *shivers*
Totally worth it! :mrgreen:
Rhyzer

Post by Rhyzer »

...28 Days Later. First time I watched it [When I was a little'un], I was freaking out with the nightmares that followed... X.x
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Rhyzer wrote:...28 Days Later. First time I watched it [When I was a little'un], I was freaking out with the nightmares that followed... X.x
*nods* Yeah, that is indeed a very scary movie. Great combination of jump scares and creepy, desolate atmosphere. The sequel, 28 Weeks Later, was actually the first horror movie I ever saw in theaters.

edit: Hey everyone! To breath a bit of new life into this thread, I'm gonna expand it a bit. We can also talk about favorite scary books, shows, and video games. Horror movie soundtracks are also open for discussion. :)

Personally, my fave scary game is the original F.E.A.R. *shivers*
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I was just watching Cabin Fever last night,
forgot how much I LOVE that movie.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Onlythebassist

Post by Onlythebassist »

The Strangers. No aliens, no monsters, just pure unedited brutality :? . I definitely prefer films that sort of ring true to the real world than stuff that's totally out of the question like The Unborn.

Also Orphan - creepy Russian midgets FTW :D
The Grey Wolverine

You know what I discovered today, someone who didn't like The Blob I mean how can you not like it, it may not be an incredible movie, but its fun to watch. Related thought, I never got around to watching Body Snatchers, is it any good.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Onlythebassist wrote:The Strangers. No aliens, no monsters, just pure unedited brutality :? . I definitely prefer films that sort of ring true to the real world than stuff that's totally out of the question like The Unborn.

Also Orphan - creepy Russian midgets FTW :D
That's sort of why slashers and serial killer movies are my favorite horror movies. Anyone, anyone at all can just pick up a knife and gut a complete stranger. The world is a dark and dangerous place, and you can never know what lurks in the heart of a person.
1boredcanadian

Post by 1boredcanadian »

I'll be honest here I am not a consistant watcher of horror movies. I'm thinking about seeing Strawdogs.
However I have a funny story. My brother and his girlfriend watched......hang on I have to check the name of the movie.... Last House on the Left, late at night in the dark. She likes horror movies and my brother hates them. As he watched he said he was terrified and after the movie every sound he heard for the next two nights made him scream like a little girl. What makes this so funny you ask? Well my brother is 29! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

1boredcanadian wrote:I'll be honest here I am not a consistant watcher of horror movies. I'm thinking about seeing Strawdogs.
However I have a funny story. My brother and his girlfriend watched......hang on I have to check the name of the movie.... Last House on the Left, late at night in the dark. She likes horror movies and my brother hates them. As he watched he said he was terrified and after the movie every sound he heard for the next two nights made him scream like a little girl. What makes this so funny you ask? Well my brother is 29! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
That is funny! :lol: Though wait a second, I've heard this remake of Straw Dogs isn't very good. You would probably be better off seeing the original.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

What's funny about that? :(
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
1boredcanadian

Post by 1boredcanadian »

ChewyChewy wrote:What's funny about that? :(
Because he always tries to act like the big tough guy.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

ChewyChewy wrote:What's funny about that? :(
It's funny because it's a defiance of expectation. That's what a lot of comedy is, actually. You think someone's going to react one way, but they react in a completely different way. You think they're going to be upset when something happens, but they act as if it's perfectly normal. Defiance of expectation, you can't live without it.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Watching George A Romero's Diary of the dead right now
it's a found footage zombie movie.
pretty good so far, little cheesy.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Tiggy wrote:I found Insidious reaaally scary.

Don't tell me I'm the only one here that found it scary.
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Tiggy wrote:

I've never seen it before, what is it about?
Rhyzer

Post by Rhyzer »

Penwrite wrote:
Tiggy wrote:

I've never seen it before, what is it about?
I second that notion. I heard it was pretty scary, though, it's just from what I heard. I've neva'h seen it yet, so who knows. o.o
Iapetus

Post by Iapetus »

Penwrite wrote: Actually, I know a ton about that movie. First, it isn't a remake, it's a prequel to the John Carpenter film, revealing what happened at the Norwegian base. Yes, I know, it's really kinda dumb that they're calling the prequel the same thing as the movie it's a prequel to, but whatever. According to interviews with the director, the creature effects will be about 70-80% practical, with CGI used here and there to supplement the physical stuff. That makes me really happy, as one of the best things about the John Carpenter movie is the incredible practical effects work.
Practical effects? Hot-dog! :D Now you've got me itching to see it! Come to think of it, it comes out this weekend, doesn't it?

I hope they do it justice.
Avatar taken from Nuzlocke Comics without permission.
Dominus Vobiscum
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Iapetus wrote:
Penwrite wrote: Actually, I know a ton about that movie. First, it isn't a remake, it's a prequel to the John Carpenter film, revealing what happened at the Norwegian base. Yes, I know, it's really kinda dumb that they're calling the prequel the same thing as the movie it's a prequel to, but whatever. According to interviews with the director, the creature effects will be about 70-80% practical, with CGI used here and there to supplement the physical stuff. That makes me really happy, as one of the best things about the John Carpenter movie is the incredible practical effects work.
Practical effects? Hot-dog! :D Now you've got me itching to see it! Come to think of it, it comes out this weekend, doesn't it?

I hope they do it justice.
Same here. I'm going to go see it this weekend, I'll tell you how it is.
DismayWolf

Post by DismayWolf »

IT (the movie based on a Steven King novel)
ImageImageImage
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

DismayWolf wrote:IT (the movie based on a Steven King novel)
:shock:
^pretty much my face throughout the movie
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Oh yeah, that movie always freaked me out when I was a kid...

but now, rewatching it when I'm older, the only thing I can think about is "Why are balloons supposed to be scary".
TensaZangetsu

Post by TensaZangetsu »

I loved Rec. the movie series Quarantine was based on. It's way better than quarantine by miles!
My favorite was REC.2. When that Demon worm crawled into that chicks mouth and down her throat was very creepy.
(shudder) I still vet chills from that. I can post the movie if you guys want.
Scratch that they took it off YouTube. D:
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
Jimmy Jazz

Post by Jimmy Jazz »

I'm not really sure if you could define mine as a "Scary" movie, and I probably can't write it or link it here, but its set the in post-Apocalypse after (presumably) the bombs fall. I'm not sure if I should say it outright since it's a pretty heavy R, even though some of the other movies listed here could be considered just as bad.

Although game-wise Amnesia takes the cake. that game stresses me OUT. Penumbra was just barely playable for me.

what what? Jolly good time.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Jimmy Jazz wrote:I'm not really sure if you could define mine as a "Scary" movie, and I probably can't write it or link it here, but its set the in post-Apocalypse after (presumably) the bombs fall. I'm not sure if I should say it outright since it's a pretty heavy R, even though some of the other movies listed here could be considered just as bad.

Although game-wise Amnesia takes the cake. that game stresses me OUT. Penumbra was just barely playable for me.
Aw, come on, now you've got me curious!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

you can mention R rated movies unless the title itself is inappropriate. just don't mention what makes it R rated.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets