The Big Bang Theory

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Agent Sandwich

The Big Bang Theory

Post by Agent Sandwich »

Bazinga!
Yes, I support catlovers! You got a problem mate?

Thank you Housepets! Forum. I've accepted myself.
Dissension

Re: The Big Bang Theory

Post by Dissension »

This thread's kind of off to a rocky start, but as long as it doesn't get spammy, it's fine.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
exranio

Post by exranio »

So are we talking about the show or the (as far as I'm concerned) ridiculous theory.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'm pretty sure it's about the television show.

Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

TBBT

Best television show ever.

At least in the comedy field.

In my opinion |3
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Daggy wrote: Look a shadowpriest, what a cutie.... POW
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The original post is a reference to the show. But this is the benefit of posting more to start a thread. *giggles*

This is the kind of show I'd probably like, but my tendency to not watch live action TV kinda prevents me.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

Watch it on zhe internet somewhere!

maybe..xD
Jason Mraz wrote: My goal is to show everyone that they, too, can do what they love to do.
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

I've seen a couple of episodes, pretty good show. Though, I don't watch TV enough to get into it.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlhHTdDqoBc <--- I laughed so much at this it's stupid XD
Liam

Post by Liam »

Watching this and other sitcoms I wonder if writers have forgot how human beings work or if it has just become mandatory to populate your show entirely with stereotypes.
exranio wrote:the (as far as I'm concerned) ridiculous theory.
Well, in its defense, it is the model that describes reality the most accurately according to the scientific evidence collected in the last 100 years.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I've never actually watched a full episode of the show before. From what I've seen, it's really funny, hehe.
exranio

Post by exranio »

Its supposed to be a show about people with autism right? I have autism. I feel respected.
Well Asperger's syndrome actually. I forget which the guys on the show are supposed to have.
So check out my Deviant art http://exranion.deviantart.com/ It has ponies, furries, and the link to my tumblr!
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

What? Where did you hear that?Oo
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

exranio wrote:Its supposed to be a show about people with autism right? I have autism. I feel respected.
Well Asperger's syndrome actually. I forget which the guys on the show are supposed to have.
no, it's just about antisocial geeks. (well, Sheldon may have something going on in the Asperger's department)

as for the stereotypes, they tend to make for fairly good comedy. would it be that funny if it were two average geeks living together next to a blonde who never acts dumb? I don't think so.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

I love the Big Bang Theory! It's one of my favorite shows!

.......Also, is it bad that my parents compare me and my friends to the characters off the show? :P
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
theblackcateyes

Post by theblackcateyes »

Beagle wrote:I love the Big Bang Theory! It's one of my favorite shows!

.......Also, is it bad that my parents compare me and my friends to the characters off the show? :P
Hey, my parents do that too!!!
Say my name... and every color iluminates...
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

theblackcateyes wrote:
Beagle wrote:I love the Big Bang Theory! It's one of my favorite shows!

Hey, my parents do that too!!!

Haha, yeah! *hi-five*

I get compared to Leslie Winkle because I look a lot like her. Personality wise, it doesn't match very well.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sadly, I get compared to Sheldon. he's my favorite character, but I don't want to be like him. T_T
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Liam

Post by Liam »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:as for the stereotypes, they tend to make for fairly good comedy. would it be that funny if it were two average geeks living together next to a blonde who never acts dumb?
It would be if they a) got into funny situations and b) cracked jokes about it. You know, like a situation comedy is supposed to. Or was, given the current trends among their typing monkeys department.

Stereotyping is pretty bad for any kind of fiction (and outside of it, too, come to think of it), 'cause it's bad, bad writing that at the end of the day appeals to the audience's basest instincts. Back in the days you laughed about greedy Jews and lazy Blacks, nowadays about those always-and-ever socially dysfunctional geeks and, if I understood Two And A Half Men right, those subhuman objects called women.

It's just lazy, vacuous and occasionally ethically questionable writing.

But then, I'm just one of those ever-cantankerous, backwards-minded die-hards who just don't get the new wave of comedy that such luminaries as Seth McFarlane with his "Oh look! Random, needless 80s reference! LOL!!1" and Parker & Stone with their "Oh look! Cripple embryos in concentration camps! LOL!!1" *cough* "humor" heralded in.

You know, one of those backwards-minded guys who think such turd building only on offensiveness and intentionally invoked bad taste is sick and twisted, treats even stuff like the Holocaust as comedy material, thus downplaying the hellishness of the various subjects and creating a social climate in which it's far more likely people will eventually perceive them as equally innocuous as portrayed and is therefore an honest-to-goodness active force of social corruption.

TL;DR The Big Bang Theory, Two And A Half Men, Family Guy, American Dad and Southpark are violently unfunny, garbage and bad for you as well as everybody else, so you shouldn't like them.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

TL;DR: statements that are insulting the sense of humor of other forumites, which wouldn't be so bad if you hadn't gone into as much detail as you did and left it as "I find these particular shows offensive, so I don't watch them." or you could have just ignored a thread about a show you object to and not posted at all.

Though I respect your opinions, Liam.

I like it because the comedy isn't derived exclusively from the main character being a complete idiot, like a lot of sitcoms. They make intelligent jokes.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
exranio

Post by exranio »

I can understand your dis taste in the that kind of humor.

However sense of humor isn't logical. What makes you laugh makes you laugh and there is no way around it. Whether its millions of people dieing or a pie to the face. Its just what makes you laugh. I understand the depravity of old disasters of human life, but I also understand that the past is the past and I move on.

Maybe it is the sense of comedy that has driven me into such an uncaring attitude. Its not that I don't think 9/11 was horrible because I do and it was. However that's not gonna stop me from laughing when some one puts the GAME OVER YEAH from that one sega game over it. So I do care, but I don't care enough to let it affect my emotional state. Lack of moral? Maybe. I do think its better to be unaffected than to be sad and distraught.

Then the jokes about women, geeks, and races and all that I just don't care. They can say the cruelest most insensitive thing and I don't care. Simply because I know it doesn't actually mean anything and is only played for the laughs of those who either don't care or can get over it.

End.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I agree with the above post. but let's get back on topic before Diss comes in here.

I like that the anti-social geeks we've been discussing are able to have somewhat normal relationships. Even Sheldon has Amy. and Penny isn't stereotypically shallow like most pretty girls on TV. in short, the show is simultaneously perpetuating and going against these stereotypes.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Liam

Post by Liam »

Don't get me wrong, I (sometimes) like crude humor like many others, too. It's just that it can go from crude, yet harmless to sick and twisted in no time, and then things might turn out ugly in the long run.

Also, don't read "[X] is bad" and parse it as "[Y] who like [X] are bad" or "[X] can make you go daft" as "[X] makes [Y] definitively go daft", at least not with me.

So right, back on topic. Don't hit me, Diss.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

So this thread just about got closed. :)

We'd do well to remember some forum rules, specifically those relating to creating an inflammatory environment and the lesser regulation of chat speak including "too long; didn't read" statements which encourage members not to read the entirety of longer posts.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Ten four, Diss.

At least Kaley Cuoco essentially reprises her character from King of Queens (just apparently somewhat more down to earth), which is a thing in its favor.
Agent Sandwich

Post by Agent Sandwich »

It's even better when you understand the nerdy jokes (eg maths and physics jokes) Sheldon tells.

This post has been edited by a moderator.

Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

This is my most favorite show ever. They're going to do a furry episode. It's inevitable.
Tiggy

Post by Tiggy »

...they are?o.o
Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Wow. I had no idea my favorite TV show besides Doctor Who was so controversial. XD
Tobee wrote:...they are?o.o
Seems unlikely, if you ask me. But you never know.
Agent Sandwich

Post by Agent Sandwich »

Anthroguy101 wrote:This is my most favorite show ever. They're going to do a furry episode. It's inevitable.
I doubt Sheldon and Penny are furries. But I guess Rajesh and Leonard are, I'm not sure about Howard though. I just wonder whether this will be a clean episode. I hope it is lol! Don't want anymore hating after the CSI episode......
Last edited by Agent Sandwich on Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

this show is awsome. this is one of my favorite moments
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kov2G0GouBw
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Agent Sandwich wrote:
Anthroguy101 wrote:This is my most favorite show ever. They're going to do a furry episode. It's inevitable.
I doubt Sheldon and Penny are furries. But I guess Rajesh and Leonard are, I'm not sure about Howard though. I just wonder whether this will be a clean episode. I hope it is lol! Don't want anymore hating after the CSI episode......
Well, the show is about geeks, and furries are the ultimate geeks, so chances are they're somehow going to run into them.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Please don't use spoiler tags unless you're actually spoiling something.

MartinSS

Post by MartinSS »

I remember the episode with the friendship algorithm, I actually copied it down. ;)
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

Agent Sandwich wrote:It's even better when you understand the nerdy jokes (eg maths and physics jokes) Sheldon tells.
Oh God, yes. :lol: I literally busted out laughing at one of the nerdier jokes when I was watching it with my parents. You can imagine their faces: o_O; :lol:
When is this?! *prepares to watch* :lol: