JAPAN hit by an 8.9 earthquake!!

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Keeshah
Game Master

JAPAN hit by an 8.9 earthquake!!

Post by Keeshah »

Japan was hit by an 8.9 strength earthquake at 2:39am EST.
That is the fifth strongest on record!
an 33 foot Tsunami went a shore on the mainland..
an 24 foot Tsunami hit the airport they built out in the ocean, unknown at this time if anything of the airport survived.

At the time of this posting, the Tsunami wave should be reaching Russia right now.
Hawaii is sounding Tsunami warning sirens.
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Aquablast

Re: JAPAN hit by an 8.9 earthquake!!

Post by Aquablast »

Ouch, I can only hope that they are okay...
Alex

Post by Alex »

Oh wow, that's terrible news. I just hope not too much damage is done.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

jopencjusz

Post by jopencjusz »

I've just heard about it in TV, it's very sad news. Hope that the damage won't be very high and there won't be many suffer.
My account on DA (something happens since I'm back here :))

My youtube accoint (with failed attemps to at least pretend I can sing)

Student, basketball referee, activist in old basketball club and official member of this club
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

I hope they're fine, but the tsunami that's followed after the earthquake is a monster. It looks like something out of a movie it's so bad. I hope everything is fixed quickly...
Karl

Post by Karl »

That's horrible. I hope those poor people will be able to manage somehow and they will be fine.
I'm a bookworm!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

One news report I read stated that around 200 bodies have been found already...
ReCreate

Post by ReCreate »

I heard about this last night minutes after it happened. It's horrible. D: Raw footage has been uploaded to youtube of it, http://youtube.com/citizentube In case if you guys haven't seen it yet. I hope they're okay, especially if anybody here lives in the effected areas.
Don't let others define you, Only you can determine your fate
no longer active, sorry
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

We were watching BBC coverage of this all morning during science class, it's really quite chilling.
Do we have any forum-ers from Japan?
Image Image
FlyAwayNow

Post by FlyAwayNow »

I have a friend out on deployment on the USS George Washington, the carrier that I think is docked in Singapore right now. He posted something a few hours ago on my home forum about the flight deck being inoperable due to the conditions during the great waves.
Que Lastima
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

My thoughts and prayers are with the Japanese right now. Seriously, the destuction is scary.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
ShadowMew295

Post by ShadowMew295 »

I feel real bad for Japan, I'm glad nothing like that happens to me.
"Every adventure requires a first step. Trite, but true, even here."

~Cheshire Cat
zeroslash

Post by zeroslash »

This is just awful. First an earthquake, then a tsunami, then a 6-point-something aftershock, and now a nuclear power plant explosion that could lead to a meltdown. This is just insane!
Sinder wrote:So then Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Bino

Post by Bino »

Hopefully things will calm down in Japan soon, they've already suffered enough. I hope that it doesnt continue and hit other places like i heard it was going to do
Bino wrote:I don't have any tricks up my sleeve right now that don't involve roleplaying... :x
So...... *kisses sleet* BOOM! I WIN!
CaptainPea
Extremerator

Post by CaptainPea »

Bino wrote:Hopefully things will calm down in Japan soon, they've already suffered enough. I hope that it doesnt continue and hit other places like i heard it was going to do
I hear the tsunami was supposed to hit the pacific islands, but I haven't heard anything from them since.
It hit Hawaii, but by that time it was only some 6 feet tall (as opposed to 30 in Japan) so the damage was probably minimal.
FlyAwayNow wrote:I have a friend out on deployment on the USS George Washington, the carrier that I think is docked in Singapore right now. He posted something a few hours ago on my home forum about the flight deck being inoperable due to the conditions during the great waves.
At least you got to hear from him, I can't imagine what it must be like for people with families in that area.
Image Image
Liam

Post by Liam »

Apparently the gas the operators of the damaged power plant had to release in order to avoid over-pressure and thus a meltdown irradiated several hundreds of people and breached the 20 km evacuation circle around the plant. I really hope they can contain this disaster.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Bino

Post by Bino »

Several HUNDREDS of people? What an awful way to die too!
Bino wrote:I don't have any tricks up my sleeve right now that don't involve roleplaying... :x
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Liam wrote:Apparently the gas the operators of the damaged power plant had to release in order to avoid over-pressure and thus a meltdown irradiated several hundreds of people and breached the 20 km evacuation circle around the plant. I really hope they can contain this disaster.

What happened with the nuclear plant..

The nuclear plant went into full shut-down, at the start of the quake, the control rods were fully deployed into the pile stopping the nuclear reaction in the four reactors, however it takes a very long time for the reactors to actually cool down.
The quake knocked out the electric grid, which supplied the power to run the main cooling pumps.
The following Tsunami wave, took out the back-up diesel generators leaving the plant with only battery power to run the pumps.

As the battery power ran down, there ability to keep the piles cool started to fail...
the #1 reactor had a partial meltdown, ( the same thing that happened at Three mile island )
an the containment building filled with radioactive gases along with hydrogen gas, as the pressure built-up, they tried to vent the building like the Americans did at 3 mile island, but the building exploded.. altho the reaction chamber remains intact. only a brief low level radioactivity was released.

They started pouring sea water on the reactors, to try to keep them cool.
it's the last ditch way to keep them cool.

Later last night they reported that they believe that the #3 reactor was experiencing a partial meltdown like the #1 reactor did.. later, it's containment building also exploded from the hydrogen gas build-up. #3 reaction chamber also remains intact.
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Bino

Post by Bino »

Are the radioactive gasses released enough to cause significant harm to anyone?
zeroslash

Post by zeroslash »

As far as I know, the radiation is not at an exceedingly dangerous level, but the Japanese government is not taking any chances and called for evacuations. They also say a meltdown is possible, yet nothing is certain.
Sinder wrote:So then Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Bino

Post by Bino »

I also heard something similar to that. The government ordered an evacuation just in case of some form of explosion or anything. The company also evacuated all "non essential personnel" from the facility.

I also heard something about a minor explosion catapulting some nuclear debris onto a nearby US Navy ship. Can anyone confirm this?
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Bino wrote:I also heard something similar to that. The government ordered an evacuation just in case of some form of explosion or anything. The company also evacuated all "non essential personnel" from the facility.

I also heard something about a minor explosion catapulting some nuclear debris onto a nearby US Navy ship. Can anyone confirm this?

Yes the carrier task force was stationed downwind of the radioactive cloud, but it has since been moved farther north.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Though apparently the radiation levels outside the evacuation zone are negligible. As in you'd pick up more radiation from a chest x-ray (50 μSv) than is being measured in Tokyo currently (23 μSv). When you hit 1 Sv (10,000 μSv) is when you start panicking.
I mean, you obviously don't want to go outside and just play around in the stuff, but if you try to keep your skin unexposed when outside and stay indoors as much as possible (which is exactly what they are suggesting), it really isn't going to do you much harm.

And I've heard that the Japanese government has asked the other governments of the world to stop over-hyping the news on the Fukushima power plants, so things probably aren't quite as bad as we're hearing.
Regular Bird

Post by Regular Bird »

I heard we're expected to have a huge earthquake over in California, I hope its not true.
Can't think of anything witty.
dA. / FA.
Karl

Post by Karl »

From what I know, they currently have sixth degree of risk. Skale is from 1 to 7. Seven means catastrophe compared to Chernobyl.

Twenty years have passed since Chernobyl. Since then, I heard many opinions that nuclear power plants are safe now because technology has highly advanced. Seems not yet.

Poor people. So many died because of earthquake and flood. And now, they live in fear because of the radiation. I really feel sorry for them. No one should experience such thing. If there was only some way to help those people.
I'm a bookworm!