My Little Pony

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Penwrite

Re: My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Post by Penwrite »

Until it's said otherwise in the show or by Lauren Faust, I'm gonna stick with Spike living with Twilight all his life.

Also, a work of genius: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMVvwT35 ... ture=feedf
Jack

Post by Jack »

angelusbr wrote:
Foxstar wrote:
Seth wrote: wellll

it is a kid's show, maybe the writers just aren't looking into it that deeply.

just sayin
You win a pat on the back for the most level headed thing ever.
So, you think it's okay for kids' shows not have a solid writting?
Jack wrote:
also, about spike. lets say it isn't just the writers being lazy. spike dislikes the gala, remember? he only got excited to go because every other pony was going! so even if he was there, maybe he wouldn't find it an interesting topic to talk about?
I agree with you that Spike would think the Gala wasn't a topic he would like to talk about, but it doesn't explain Twilight asked him that because of the reasons I said earlier. He didn't seem reluctant to answer. If twilight had just invited Spike (and not asked if he ever went to the gala) and he had answered "I don't like that fru-fru nonsense". I wouldn't have come up with the conclusion that Twilight didn't raise Spike.
I think he was assigned to her as an assistant BECAUSE she hatched him. And he also has to leave periodically for official business because his primary employer is Celestia or someone else in Canterlot
i really think his just been living with her his whole life. we can ask lauren faust! she might not ever answer, but we can still ask her. :u
Jack PFRG - S-10 P-7 E-2 C-8 I-6 A-4 L-5
Nika PFRG - S-4 P-4 E-6 C-10 I-4 A-6 L-8
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

@Jack: there, I asked her about it. When and if she answers me, i'll screenshot it.
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Kyderra wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:hey guys. my pony meme is on the voting page of My Little Brony. If you didn't vote for it when I posted it before, please do so.
I mean, if you want to, that is.
lol, i seen that one today, no idea idea it was yours
my caption is very true. Why the heck hadn't it been done yet?
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

O god, it's my old favorite show with my new Favorited show.
My life is now complete

also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0sW8KrZF5s
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Dinobot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Shameless advertisement of my fanfics: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/880961/Angelus-alvus
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

As expected today's episode was trash. Why? because they HAD to pull off the turtle and the hare plot. Sure for kids that NEVER heard of it before enjoyed it.
but it was painful for seeing this overused plot device
Last edited by angelusbr on Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

angelusbr wrote:As expected today's episode was trash. Why? because they HAD to pull off the turtle and the hare plot. Sure for kids that NEVER heard of it before enjoyed it.
What are you talking about? The Turtle and the Hare is about slow and steady winning the race. THIS was about how there are more important things than physical ability in a pet. Which is something every pet owner knows. Besides, as the element of Loyalty, are you saying it sucks that Rainbow Dash values loyalty in a pet? Because that seems like it'd be kinda important to her.

Also, did anyone notice Derpy during Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's duet?

Mod Edit: Let's make an effort not to spoil things for those who haven't seen the episode, 'kay? Thanks.
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

1st of all, no spoilers, ok?
2nd of all, Deal With It (the episode).

Now, if you excuse me, I'll look for Derpy, 'cause I missed her.
Derpy, pretending to be Scootaloo (Did I write that correctly?), I won't get you anywhere.
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Sorry for the spoilers.
I guess i should just lower my expectation for he rest of the series, everything went downhill after Lesson zero.
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

angelusbr wrote:Sorry for the spoilers.
I guess i should just lower my expectation for he rest of the series, everything went downhill after Lesson zero.
Come on, man! That's not the attitude! Enjoy what is left of the series! Because it's hard to believe that there will be a season 4... Come on, remember what that song says: "Always look on the bright side of Life!"
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

I'm confused, how is the series going downhill? What's wrong with it exactly?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Penwrite wrote:
angelusbr wrote:As expected today's episode was trash. Why? because they HAD to pull off the turtle and the hare plot. Sure for kids that NEVER heard of it before enjoyed it.
What are you talking about? The Turtle and the Hare is about slow and steady winning the race. THIS was about how there are more important things than physical ability in a pet. Which is something every pet owner knows. Besides, as the element of Loyalty, are you saying it sucks that Rainbow Dash values loyalty in a pet? Because that seems like it'd be kinda important to her.

Also, did anyone notice Derpy during Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy's duet?

Mod Edit: Let's make an effort not to spoil things for those who haven't seen the episode, 'kay? Thanks.
While it wasn't exactly the tortoise and the hare, it was still fairly predictable that the tortoise would win,]. even so, I still liked it. I don't mind if something's predictable as long as they male it entertaining enough, and I was entertained.
and I liked the song. I was just saying that RD needed more songs (though I'd have preferred it be more awesome like her part in At The Gala).
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Penwrite wrote:I'm confused, how is the series going downhill? What's wrong with it exactly?
It wasn't predictable like in Lesson Zero, Party of One and other good episodes. It was PAINFULLY predictable due its overused theme. It was predictable to the point of predicting EVERY SINGLE LINE before a character spoke. The only thing i couldn't predict was the Tortoise's name.
FuhrerVonZephyr

Post by FuhrerVonZephyr »

I thought the episode was fine. At least it wasn't mostly filler like Cutie Pox was.
Hey guys! I make art!
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Now I'm really confused. How can an episode be filler when there's no overarching plot throughout the series? No wait, scratch that, there is an overarching plot for the series. It's the plot called "a bunch of friends learn about friendship and caring, and how to be a better pony." That's what the show is, folks. Sorry if I don't see how "Cutie Pox" and this latest episode failed in this regard.

And angelus, I ask you, how was it's theme overused? For that matter, what was its theme? It certainly wasn't the like the story of the turtle and the hare, because if you look you'll notice that in that story the turtle won the race because the hare got cocky. In this episode the turtle lost the race spectacularly, but got chosen by Dash for a different reason.

And on a related topic, I never understood the story of the turtle and the hare. The moral it supposedly teaches doesn't match up with the events of the story. The hare doesn't lose because slow and steady is better than really fast, he loses because he gets arrogant and takes a nap. The real moral of the story should be "don't get arrogant" for it to make any sense.

Also, I don't know how to do that black line thing, so apologies for that. Oh gosh this is a big post.

Mod Edit: added the spoiler tags for ya.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I just remembered that there is a brony meetup tonight nearby, but I forgot to arrange my ride. So I guess I won't be going. oh well. I'm sure there will be another.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Penwrite wrote:Now I'm really confused. How can an episode be filler when there's no overarching plot throughout the series? No wait, scratch that, there is an overarching plot for the series. It's the plot called "a bunch of friends learn about friendship and caring, and how to be a better pony." That's what the show is, folks. Sorry if I don't see how "Cutie Pox" and this latest episode failed in this regard.

And angelus, I ask you, how was it's theme overused? For that matter, what was its theme? It certainly wasn't the like the story of the turtle and the hare, because if you look you'll notice that in that story the turtle won the race because the hare got cocky. In this episode the turtle lost the race spectacularly, but got chosen by Dash for a different reason.

And on a related topic, I never understood the story of the turtle and the hare. The moral it supposedly teaches doesn't match up with the events of the story. The hare doesn't lose because slow and steady is better than really fast, he loses because he gets arrogant and takes a nap. The real moral of the story should be "don't get arrogant" for it to make any sense.

Also, I don't know how to do that black line thing, so apologies for that. Oh gosh this is a big post.

Mod Edit: added the spoiler tags for ya.
The theme of turtle and hare in this episode was: RD wanted a fast and cool pet and despised the turtle for not being what she wanted. The Turtle even "won" in the end. The moment the tortoise popped in the screen I slapped my head and thought this will be her pet and I was right.
I wouldn't complain at ALL if they hadn't picked a tortoise for the role of "care about RD". It could have been one of the other birds/bat/insects to go around and save her. But they had to pick the "slow" animal to "teach " rainbow dash a lesson, which also reflects on the tale of the turtle and the hare because it shows that speed isn't everything.
Allow myself to make something clear here: for a YOUNG (9 year old tops) this episode might be something new in terms of plot for them. But for an older audience this episode's plot was predictable. I can't blame you guys for enjoying a cliche. I do enjoy a few cliches (but the cliches I like are more mature ones). It's all about taste. I can't bring myself to enjoy today's episode (in fact I HATED IT), but if you liked it, that's okay too.

as for the black thing, all you have to do is to highlight the part you want to put as spoiler and click on the spoiler button.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Oh dear. Oh dear. I have 1 new message. I have no idea why I'd have a message (actually, I do) and I'm too scared to read it.

On to actually relevant topics, I suppose today's episode means we'll be getting a whole new deluge of "Rainbow Dash breaks her wings" stories.

I'm also pretty sure 9 is around this show's target audience, so... *floats away in his zeppelin, never to argue over this particular subject again so as to keep the thread from spiraling out of control*
FuhrerVonZephyr

Post by FuhrerVonZephyr »

Penwrite wrote:Now I'm really confused. How can an episode be filler when there's no overarching plot throughout the series? No wait, scratch that, there is an overarching plot for the series. It's the plot called "a bunch of friends learn about friendship and caring, and how to be a better pony." That's what the show is, folks. Sorry if I don't see how "Cutie Pox" and this latest episode failed in this regard.
Well, I felt that Cutie Pox took too long to get the plot of the episode going. I understand that they were trying to make us believe that Applebloom really got her cutie mark to build suspense, and that would've worked fine if the episode wasn't called 'Cutie Pox.'

Edit: Okay, they would've also have to make the scene at Zecora's hut much more subtle, but you get my point.
Hey guys! I make art!
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

Penwrite wrote:Oh dear. Oh dear. I have 1 new message. I have no idea why I'd have a message (actually, I do) and I'm too scared to read it.

On to actually relevant topics, I suppose today's episode means we'll be getting a whole new deluge of "Rainbow Dash breaks her wings" stories.

I'm also pretty sure 9 is around this show's target audience, so... *floats away in his zeppelin, never to argue over this particular subject again so as to keep the thread from spiraling out of control*
what i meant by 9 year olds was that the plot device of fast guy being defeated/saved by slow one is somewhat new for them. For older people, they have seen it a million times.
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Awww, I meant to end that topic.
Jack

Post by Jack »

you guys got the "its different people and a new season so it must be bad" syndrome. you got it bad. if you compare this to all the other episodes, then i think you will see its just as good. just look! all the episodes are predictable. all of them! because we have learned these lessons before! because we are well educated adults! really guys, these are just like the others. you just gotta step out of the mindset of the show wearing out.

also, i don't think its the episodes plot thats supposed to be unpredictable, i think its each episodes events. i actually didn't expect fluttershy to get so excited. :3
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Jack wrote:
also, i don't think its the episodes plot thats supposed to be unpredictable, i think its each episodes events. i actually didn't expect fluttershy to get so excited. :3
Right. And I didn't expect Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash to start singing. Or for there to be a Ghastly Gulch. Or Ride of the Valkyries! :D
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

i really don't see what's wrong with this season
i think it's spectacular

flying Tank FTW
Fluttershy Rainbow Dash song is amazing and i want an instrumental
Fluttershy says Yay again
that turtle can lift a boulder with it's head, that is awesome

haters gonna hate

also i love the Gulch Eels, they feel like something out of a Mario game

dork RD is absolutley adorable

look in the chicken coop
Jack

Post by Jack »

omg! yes! fluttershy says yay again! my heart nearly exploded at that moment! XD

(by my fancy mathematics i understand that everypony who uses this thread has already seen the new episode, therefor, no spoilers)

i also really like the little turtle guy. :3
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Holy crap, that looks nice!

Ahem, anyway, I heard that episode 11 will be Christmas related. If it's true, I might do something pony related in X-Mas.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Jesse James

Post by Jesse James »

Since you guys liek Poniez, thought I'd share this with you guys:

It's a Princess Celestia colour themed Marth texture hack.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Looking at the image of "dork" Rainbow Dash, why am I so easily imagining a period of her life where she was an egghead like Twilight? I mean when you think about it, there must be a ton of logistical stuff you need to know to fly well. It also makes me realize that we haven't really had an episode focused on the friendship between Rainbow Dash and Twilight. I mean, we've had ones between Dash and Rarity in the Sonic Rainboom episode, with AJ in Fall Weather Friends, with Pinkie Pie in Griffon the Brush-Off, and with Fluttershy in this latest ep. and a little bit in Sonic Rainboom, and yet no episode for Twilight. Odd.

Also, even Dash knows that bow ties are cool.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

This image gave me so many griomdark ideas...

this game will be awsome when completed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iJIf4qp ... r_embedded
mariomarc

Post by mariomarc »

Penwrite wrote:Looking at the image of "dork" Rainbow Dash, why am I so easily imagining a period of her life where she was an egghead like Twilight? I mean when you think about it, there must be a ton of logistical stuff you need to know to fly well. It also makes me realize that we haven't really had an episode focused on the friendship between Rainbow Dash and Twilight. I mean, we've had ones between Dash and Rarity in the Sonic Rainboom episode, with AJ in Fall Weather Friends, with Pinkie Pie in Griffon the Brush-Off, and with Fluttershy in this latest ep. and a little bit in Sonic Rainboom, and yet no episode for Twilight. Odd.

Also, even Dash knows that bow ties are cool.
rainbow dash actually going through a dork phase in her teen years?
i'd like to see that
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

I just watched a japanese fandubbed clip of this. It was... awhooblawooah.
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Owl City + ponies is awesome.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Russiarules1

Post by Russiarules1 »

Ok gentlemen, I have a problem.
On Monday, 21st, on channel 404- ok let's just skip this... The good news: MLP:FiM in Spanish (It'll suck, but I want to see it, still) at 8:00 AM (Western), cable (On someome Mexican cable service that you guys possibly don't know).
Bad news: There's something going on with my cable! I can't see anything! I want to see Invader Zim... and MLP.
Only hope: Dad fixing up the TV (Hey, I don't watch TV anymore, ok? The only thing I saw on TV was the news, but since everything on it was all about crime, I gave up. I also watched Family Guy, but it is not the same in Spanish)
Bad thing about this hope: My dad not waking up before MLP.

(After removing, plugging, unplugging cables, I finally figured it out! LIKE A BAUS!)

In short, My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic (My Little Pony: La Amistad Es Magia) arrived to Mexico.
It's gonna suck a little bit, anyway...
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Jack

Post by Jack »

anyone watching friendship is witchcraft?

if not, you should.
angelusbr

Post by angelusbr »

enjoy (or not):
Penwrite

Post by Penwrite »

Those are some neat pics right there.

Also, I'm sad. Someone is writing a fanfic shipping Gilda with an older Spike. It's really well written, and the way the writer's doing it makes the pairing make sense, but...I was going to be the first person to ship those two in MY fic! :( It's just so...annoying to get beaten to the punch like this! DX