Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by NHWestoN »

Long walk alone through the forest. Leaves are starting to turn finally but it was warm today and lots of birds out. Saw a pair of foxes and an old wood turtle plodding along, but not much wildlife otherwise. Maybe we'll all take a drive tomorrow before the tourists flood in......... :)
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

NHWestoN wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:38 pm Long walk alone through the forest. Leaves are starting to turn finally but it was warm today and lots of birds out. Saw a pair of foxes and an old wood turtle plodding along, but not much wildlife otherwise. Maybe we'll all take a drive tomorrow before the tourists flood in......... :)
Wonderful.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: My sister's birthday is coming up and we are going to have dinner at my aunt's house for her.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:40 pm Joy: My sister's birthday is coming up and we are going to have dinner at my aunt's house for her.
yay, birthdays! Enjoy!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Found the wine that I had on my birthday to bring over to my aunt's house for my sister's party.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

.... and, four hours later, my health policy is renewed. Now for a quiet evening trying to get my blood pressure down to normal. :evil:
Harry Johnathan

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:42 pm .... and, four hours later, my health policy is renewed. Now for a quiet evening trying to get my blood pressure down to normal. :evil:
That sucks, man. It's a nightmare for all of us at home when my grandma has blood pressure problems.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:08 pm
NHWestoN wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:42 pm .... and, four hours later, my health policy is renewed. Now for a quiet evening trying to get my blood pressure down to normal. :evil:
That sucks, man. It's a nightmare for all of us at home when my grandma has blood pressure problems.
... and half the day today playing phone games with the Veterans Administration - Your "Benefits" if you can get at `em!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: I have my windows open and I'm listening to the sound of neighborhood children play outside! That is always nice.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Good to hear people having fun.

Joys: Wild Deer have been sighted in fields near me, we've never had wild Deer this close before, looks like I may have some new neighbours ! :D
Also in an unrelated cervine themed coincidence a small heard of tame deer has turned up in a field (a different species to the wild one) in another village near me, will have to have a wander over when I have time.
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: We have wild turkey that seem to be coming closer because first my mother spotted them on the street and now she spotted them in the neighbor's yard.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:59 pm Joy: We have wild turkey that seem to be coming closer because first my mother spotted them on the street and now she spotted them in the neighbor's yard.
There's a lot in the woods around here. They're something new to me, never saw them back in the 50's and 60's.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

My mother is of the opinion that since humans are building everything up everywhere in the wild that animals have no place to go and are forced to move into human civilization.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:07 pm My mother is of the opinion that since humans are building everything up everywhere in the wild that animals have no place to go and are forced to move into human civilization.
Your mother has a sound point. As one example, over the years, I've often seen deer in downtown cities. I'll never forget being in a car in Madison, Wisconsin, waiting for a light change on Lake menona drive. I look across the highway and there's a doe walking up the sidewalk like she's shopping for a blouse. I mean, amazing - calm and stately, walking like any other pedestrian. Then, just as I saw two young women coming up the side street, the stinkin' light changed and I had to move on. I will wonder forever what the reactions were when they and the doe came face to face when they turned the corner ...

You could probably start a thread here with others sharing similar episodes. :) Some probably not so charming.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since most deers are actually spooked and really skittish when they see people or have them get close to them, I am assuming that the deer took off though I am hoping in its fright it didn't cause any accidents or get hit by a car.

How Daunted managed to become so adjusted and calm around people and marry a dog I will never know. :geek:
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:03 am Since most deers are actually spooked and really skittish when they see people or have them get close to them, I am assuming that the deer took off though I am hoping in its fright it didn't cause any accidents or get hit by a car.

How Daunted managed to become so adjusted and calm around people and marry a dog I will never know. :geek:
I would have loved to have know what the Does and Humans reactions were Weston, you can never be sure.

Years of Practice I guess Dayzee, I'd say I'm still the same as I was, still naturally nervous and skittish on the inside, just got good at portraying being relatively confident and calm when dealing with people (I've had to) even though I still find it hard (I am tempted to take flight at times ;) ).

I was scared of dogs as a youngster, guess things have changed a bit in that department :)

Still pretty wary of Cows, they just seem too unpredictable to me. I'm fine as long as there is a solid fence between Daunted and said beasts.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Prudence dictates. I'm always careful encountering animals, wild or domestic, because you can never be sure how receptive they are to interaction. That goes double for animals that are large or dentally endowed. I like cows and calves but they can accidentally step on you or knock you over - and an 800 pounder critter can be intimidating no matter how docile.

When I was seventeen, my father took me hunting - a sport I destested (please, this is NOT an invitation to a debate). For Dad, hunting was a verb which was why he went charging around and never got "his deer" - unless you count the one he killed by accident with his Subaru. Me, I used the excuse of "lying in wait" to avoid the chase and spent my time on a comfortable log. Well, one time, I'm sitting on a stump in a small clearing and out of the bush stumbles a ten-point stag. Jaw-dropping gorgeous! Well, I moved so he could see me and he starts walking in front of me very slowly ("Mom always said bipeds are very dangerous and easily provoked..."), heading for the safety of the brush. He coudn't have been more than fifteen feet from me. What a show.

But, yeah, I took the safety off. He could have charged me. Thankfully, he didn't and gave me the gift of a wonderful moment in nature with a fellow traveler. But it coulda been otherwise.

No, I didn't tell Dad.

Respect is always a wise tactic in life... as well as passing good manners. ;)
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:54 am Prudence dictates. I'm always careful encountering animals, wild or domestic, because you can never be sure how receptive they are to interaction. That goes double for animals that are large or dentally endowed. I like cows and calves but they can accidentally step on you or knock you over - and an 800 pounder critter can be intimidating no matter how docile.

When I was seventeen, my father took me hunting - a sport I destested (please, this is NOT an invitation to a debate). For Dad, hunting was a verb which was why he went charging around and never got "his deer" - unless you count the one he killed by accident with his Subaru. Me, I used the excuse of "lying in wait" to avoid the chase and spent my time on a comfortable log. Well, one time, I'm sitting on a stump in a small clearing and out of the bush stumbles a ten-point stag. Jaw-dropping gorgeous! Well, I moved so he could see me and he starts walking in front of me very slowly ("Mom always said bipeds are very dangerous and easily provoked..."), heading for the safety of the brush. He coudn't have been more than fifteen feet from me. What a show.

But, yeah, I took the safety off. He could have charged me. Thankfully, he didn't and gave me the gift of a wonderful moment in nature with a fellow traveler. But it coulda been otherwise.

No, I didn't tell Dad.

Respect is always a wise tactic in life... as well as passing good manners. ;)
Agreed, always pays to be wary of animals. I'm jealous, that sounds like a sight to behold, I'm glad you let him be (and likewise him, you). I'm no expert but I'm not sure if a using a 4x4 counts :D . Cows are surprisingly fast and agile when they want to be I've know a bull to jump clean over a hedge once (not at me thankfully).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: I finally have an interview for a job on Tuesday!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:36 pm Joy: I finally have an interview for a job on Tuesday!
Wow! Hooray for gainful employment!!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

This is an update I don’t want to give.

My mom may be nearing the end of her life. Despite everything we’ve tried and the progress she’s made, the infection came back, and the cancer in her liver has progressed. It’s already reached a point where the excess toxins that have built up have left her in a confused state of mind. We couldn’t do a thing about the cancer due to the previous infection leaving her immune system much too fragile, which is what gave the affliction time to get worse. Today, my dad said that she was asleep for most of the day, only barely interacting with visitors.

The doctors are still trying what they can, such as administering antibiotics and pumping out excess fluids in her abdomen, but her oncologist told us that he can’t promise her much time. At the moment, the only wish we can respect of my mom is to keep her out of hospice. She had been adamant about that since this entire ordeal started, and for now, she is staying at the ICU.

I’ve been having time with my dad, brother, and aunt trying to come to peace with the ordeal. I just never imagined I’d have so much of my life journey without someone who I could always go to. We all did everything we could do with the situations that arose.

Right now, only a direct miracle will ensure that she stays with us. In any case, please continue to pray for her and my family.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

My thoughts are with you and your family D-Rock.
Good luck with the interview Dayzee.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am so sorry about what is happening with your family Rocky. I know its something you do not want to go through. I will keep you all in my thoughts.
Harry Johnathan

:( Hearts and prayers. I know it's cliched but it's all I have to give right now.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I'm so sorry and saddened by your situation, D-Rock. My prayers and hopes for you, your mother, and those you love.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

I'm so sorry to hear this D-Rock. Keeping your mother in my thoughts.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Worry: My mother is starting to do 12 hour shifts again without trying to get the proper sleep after them. My big fear about that is if she falls asleep while driving and something like THIS happens again.
Attachments
Crash.jpeg
Crash.jpeg (128.33 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Okay, yeah, that's mildly terrifying! :o
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I am so sorry that you and your family are going through this D-Rock. You all are in my prayers.

Dayzee, maybe you can see if your mom will take an Uber or something when she is tired. That car is pretty torn up.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I didn't think the car accident was actually as bad as it looked now thinking back and it could have been a lot worse. Though to be fair we had our seatbelts on and while they saved us they also bruised our ribs. A few months later while she was using my car my mother got into ANOTHER minor accident though this one really was minor because all she did was hit a curb and it destroyed the axle on the wheel.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Sorrow: just found out one of my friends from primary school (elementary school to you Americans) committed suicide, leaving behind a wife and four kids. I haven't spoken to the guy in about 20 years but it's still sad.

Please, if anyone out there is struggling, get help. There's no shame in it and there are people out there ready and waiting to help. Suicide is never the answer!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Sorry to hear that Hlaoroo, and I totally agree with you. As a person who has struggled with suicidal feelings, I will say it is hard to realize that you are worth saving and that life is worth living. For me, in addition to talking to people taking walks in the countryside near my home helps, remember that it always seems darkest before the break of dawn.

You have a point, Dayzee . Cars are made nowadays to absorb a lot of the energy of the collision so that people absorb less, still, make sure your mom takes care of herself. It can be easy to forget things when you are drowsy or tired.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

At 2:30 am, we received word that my mother went to be with God. Her passing is and will continue to be painful, but we take solace knowing that she is no longer suffering from her ailments. She died in her sleep, and appeared to be at peace.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Deeply sorry for your loss, D-Rock. May God comfort you and your family in this grieving time. May she rest in peace and rise in joy.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

I'm so sorry to hear this, D-Rock. I'll be keeping you and your family in my thoughts. You have my deepest condolences.
Harry Johnathan

D-Rock wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:59 pm At 2:30 am, we received word that my mother went to be with God. Her passing is and will continue to be painful, but we take solace knowing that she is no longer suffering from her ailments. She died in her sleep, and appeared to be at peace.
I'm sorry.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I’m so sorry, Rock. I’ll keep you and your family in my prayers.

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

D-Rock wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:59 pm At 2:30 am, we received word that my mother went to be with God. Her passing is and will continue to be painful, but we take solace knowing that she is no longer suffering from her ailments. She died in her sleep, and appeared to be at peace.
I'm so sorry, Rocky. Praying for all your family.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

gforce

Post by gforce »

So sorry to hear that Rock.
That sounded better in my head
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Once again as I had said on the Discord I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts will be with you and your family during this time.