Joys And Sorrows

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Joys And Sorrows

Post by NHWestoN »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:02 am Awesome sauce, Oded! Really digging that retro 90s style of CG.
Yeah, I remember those - they looked like bricks and were very cumbersome. I was on active duty in Wash DC at the time and having one was something of a status symbol. An annoying one because, if you had one, you'd constantly be getting calls from people you didn't like telling you to do things you didn't want to do.

"This is Washington and, in Washington, everyone's important - if you don't believe `em, just ask `em."
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: I'm making progress on the YouTube series I want to watch!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:27 pm Joy: I'm making progress on the YouTube series I want to watch!
What series is that?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It's a walkthrough of a video game that I really enjoyed maybe a little too much when I was kid though this particular walkthrough is kind of taking too long to get through since some of the videos are over THIRTY minutes. :?
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:35 am It's a walkthrough of a video game that I really enjoyed maybe a little too much when I was kid though this particular walkthrough is kind of taking too long to get through since some of the videos are over THIRTY minutes. :?
Basic. I watch hour long documentary vids on a regular basis.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: Got to see my cousin's wife and their children again!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Packing to go to Buffalo, tomorrow. Finally got the car back from the garage. We bought Sophie a little "doggie baby carriage" - long walks tire her out now sometimes.

With all the ka-rap we pack, you'd think we were moving to Idaho!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:22 pm Packing to go to Buffalo, tomorrow. Finally got the car back from the garage. We bought Sophie a little "doggie baby carriage" - long walks tire her out now sometimes.

Shuffling off to Buffalo, eh? Hope you have a great time.

Joy: My cousins and her family all got there COVID vaccines so it’s looking like we’ll see them this summer.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: My mother has Lyme Disease and the 26th was 7 years since my grandfather died.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:22 pm Packing to go to Buffalo, tomorrow. Finally got the car back from the garage. We bought Sophie a little "doggie baby carriage" - long walks tire her out now sometimes.

That's quite touching she has her own carriage now :-), very regal.
Disproportionately Dappled
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

One of the renters for my parents shore house had a stroller for their cat. Cat really seemed to like it.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Hope you enjoy Buffalo, Weston.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sophie took a while, but once we put it in the back seat, she decided it was a first-class tram apartment. We did stop at Syracuse University to see the Carnegie Library and took her along. She got fussed over a lot - that happens to three-pawed dogs who look like foxes, smile, and wag poofy tails.

And now we're at my daughter's home and it's raining like ... April in western New York.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: The cases of COVID in our state aren't getting worse!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:05 pm Sophie took a while, but once we put it in the back seat, she decided it was a first-class tram apartment. We did stop at Syracuse University to see the Carnegie Library and took her along. She got fussed over a lot - that happens to three-pawed dogs who look like foxes, smile, and wag poofy tails.

And now we're at my daughter's home and it's raining like ... April in western New York.
Sophie sounds like a lovely and good natured dog, dogs used to scare me as a fawn but I like them now. just reading up about Carnegie libraries, I've heard the term but didn't really know how they were founded, very intetesting, it is a real shame that the internet means libraries are in decline, I still prefer a book I can hold, I'll always buy a physical copy if I can and second hand bookshops are a magnet to me (Mrs Deer is very tolerant, I'm on my 4th large bookcase now and have books everywhere! ).

Daunted
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I've sometimes said that i was raised by three parents - Mom, Dad, and the town public library. Long before other media, the library served as my ashram for dreaming and adventure. Guess you'd expect a history guy to say that but then it's true. 8-)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: We have four wild cats in our backyard!

Sorrow: I don't know if they are wild or abandoned though.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Never seen a wild cat. Don't they look wuite different from domestic pets?
NHWestoN wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:45 pm I've sometimes said that i was raised by three parents - Mom, Dad, and the town public library. Long before other media, the library served as my ashram for dreaming and adventure. Guess you'd expect a history guy to say that but then it's true. 8-)
Ah so you are a History buff? I like reading historical texts but never took it as a subject, got quite a few on ancient rome, greece, the world wars and, strangely, political figures (I'm not really in to politics but how chatacters shape events interests me). Currently reading Burying Caesar, all about Churchill and Chamberlain. Do you have a particular area of History that interests you? Glad you like a good book.

Daunted
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, you could say that, Daunted. After dancing with a number of alternative majors (geology, psychology,) at the University, I got degrees in history. My areas were Middle East and general medieval. In the Army, I had an assignment teaching the subject at West Point for four years. That enabled me to get a Doctorate and, after I left the military, I taught at a small southern university for the next quarter century. Since it was a small department, I wound up being "available Jones", teaching world history, middle east, ancient, medieval, India, Africa, Byzantine, and doing some janitorial work besides. It was fun, it paid the bills, got to travel, and retired before the Covid hit.
When I left, our little college had grown from 2, 500 students to around 6, 600, and a very diverse bunch besides.

So, I call myself a history guy although, now, I'm just an old Yankee pensioner. Life's not treated us badly. :D
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 8:49 am Yeah, you could say that, Daunted. After dancing with a number of alternative majors (geology, psychology,) at the University, I got degrees in history. My areas were Middle East and general medieval. In the Army, I had an assignment teaching the subject at West Point for four years. That enabled me to get a Doctorate and, after I left the military, I taught at a small southern university for the next quarter century. Since it was a small department, I wound up being "available Jones", teaching world history, middle east, ancient, medieval, India, Africa, Byzantine, and doing some janitorial work besides. It was fun, it paid the bills, got to travel, and retired before the Covid hit.
When I left, our little college had grown from 2, 500 students to around 6, 600, and a very diverse bunch besides.

So, I call myself a history guy although, now, I'm just an old Yankee pensioner. Life's not treated us badly. :D
That's an impressive CV Weston, when I first started frequenting the forum I had the feeling you may have Lectured for some reason, nothing wrong with being able to teach such a wide span of history in my humble opinion. The Middle East through the ages is a fairly meaty historical topic I should imagine.

Daunted
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: At least in the US most places won't have it be mandatory to wear masks outdoors anymore!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I have a good life, Daunted, particularly because more than a few good-hearted folks gave me some serious opportunities (along with a couple of second and third chances!). I've gotten to do most of what I wanted to do. Not everybody can say that. And, having been a teacher, I had the privilege of helping others along their roads.

And, on top of all that, I get to be on a forum like this one with a wild bunch like you'uns, celebrating a great artist/bard like Rick. Tain't half bad. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not sure that we can call Rick a bard because don't they usually sing and play an instrument? Not sure if he does that. :lol:
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:57 pm I have a good life, Daunted, particularly because more than a few good-hearted folks gave me some serious opportunities (along with a couple of second and third chances!). I've gotten to do most of what I wanted to do. Not everybody can say that. And, having been a teacher, I had the privilege of helping others along their roads.

And, on top of all that, I get to be on a forum like this one with a wild bunch like you'uns, celebrating a great artist/bard like Rick. Tain't half bad. ;)
I'd say I'm pretty tame even for a Deer but yes, great to be on the forum and to chat with you and others.

Daunted
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 11:13 pm Not sure that we can call Rick a bard because don't they usually sing and play an instrument? Not sure if he does that. :lol:
True, but they also recite and create epic sagas and stories. Dunno how musical Rick is - Keys and Fiddler haven't favored us with one of their originals for years.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Plus even with that he can say that they sound good but if we heard them in real life they could SUCK.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Here's a pretty big sorrow:
It's finals week. I'm working on my MBA. The final project for my capstone class, I though was due 5/5. It said that on the syllabus. But I had forgotten he had moved up a few due dates, including for the final. It was actually due 5/3 at 11pm. I didn't realize this until 5/3 at 9:30pm. As this is the capstone class, I need at least a B to graduate; This is only my first semester in the program, but I plan on getting through by December. If I don't get a B in this class, I'll have to retake it before graduating, but as this is a Spring semester only class, I'd have to stay an extra semester. And with the rushed, and frankly insultingly bad product I turned in, I don't think I'm gonna be making the grade I need.

Things are looking grim.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

sorrow: I can't believe I have OCD
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CuriousCnidarian wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 am Here's a pretty big sorrow:
It's finals week. I'm working on my MBA. The final project for my capstone class, I though was due 5/5. It said that on the syllabus. But I had forgotten he had moved up a few due dates, including for the final. It was actually due 5/3 at 11pm. I didn't realize this until 5/3 at 9:30pm. As this is the capstone class, I need at least a B to graduate; This is only my first semester in the program, but I plan on getting through by December. If I don't get a B in this class, I'll have to retake it before graduating, but as this is a Spring semester only class, I'd have to stay an extra semester. And with the rushed, and frankly insultingly bad product I turned in, I don't think I'm gonna be making the grade I need.

Things are looking grim.
Cnid, a quick thought from an old proff - go see this instructor pronto. Explain what happened and take responsibility for, to use your characterization, "an unwittingly bad product". At best although unlikely, you'll get an "incomplete" and a "do-over" opportunity. However, as a minimum, you want the instructor to know that you are "The Three S's" - serious, sincere, and sorry. Grad school is partly keyed on relations and reputation, and you don't want this person to think you're a "s**t it and forget it" student. At least, if you have to take the course over, you'll have made a better impression than just what the paper suggests. Good luck!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I agree with Weston on this one, sometimes you have just got to own your mistakes, I had to re-take one module after making a right horlicks of it at Uni so it can be done provided you learn from this.

Oded, do you mean you just found out (not sure how to read that)?

Daunted
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

NHWestoN wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 9:22 am
CuriousCnidarian wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 12:58 am Here's a pretty big sorrow:

Things are looking grim.
Cnid, a quick thought from an old proff - go see this instructor pronto. Explain what happened and take responsibility for, to use your characterization, "an unwittingly bad product". At best although unlikely, you'll get an "incomplete" and a "do-over" opportunity. However, as a minimum, you want the instructor to know that you are "The Three S's" - serious, sincere, and sorry. Grad school is partly keyed on relations and reputation, and you don't want this person to think you're a "s**t it and forget it" student. At least, if you have to take the course over, you'll have made a better impression than just what the paper suggests. Good luck!
I did send the professor an email with similar sentiments shortly after submitting, but I have no way of knowing if he has seen it, nor can I visit in-person as he is not on campus. I've done what I can, all I can do now is wait.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorrow: It has been dreary out for the past several days. I need sunshine ******* it! :x
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

I feel like the end is coming. Maybe it's my anxiety, maybe it's something else, I just gotta a bad feeling about the state of the world rn.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:21 am I feel like the end is coming. Maybe it's my anxiety, maybe it's something else, I just gotta a bad feeling about the state of the world rn.
We live in anxious times, Rydr, but be not dismayed. For thousands of years, hundreds of people have predicted the end of the world and they were all wrong. I expect that trend to remain unchanged. Meanwhile, Sophie wants her walk ... and, at her age and her stage, I can predict with riveting accuracy what will transpire if that does not occur.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

Joy: I'm having fun learning at 3D computer animation class
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

OdedZeituni98 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am Joy: I'm having fun learning at 3D computer animation class
Joy: Delighted to hear it, Oded!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

OdedZeituni98 wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:51 am Joy: I'm having fun learning at 3D computer animation class
Always great when you find a subject that you find interesting to learn about. Your 3D skills are comming on I see, what programme do you use?
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

DDeer wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 2:40 pm
Always great when you find a subject that you find interesting to learn about. Your 3D skills are comming on I see, what programme do you use?
I'm using Autodesk Maya 2022
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

Sorrow: I hallucinate graves for some reason!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Joy: My sibling is getting a new kitten and we picked it up so it will be spending one night at our house!