SRP: STEELHAVEN - OOC

Put down the character sheets and walk away!

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

TheWolfShepherd

Re: SRP: STEELHAVEN - OOC

Post by TheWolfShepherd »

Well, according to the wiki page on Warrant Officers...
Warrant officers are highly skilled, single-track specialty officers.
And I think it fits quite nicely to Wolfe.
His status as a naval aviator fits quite well, and not to mention that most Army Aviators are warrant officers.
The U.S. Army utilizes warrant officers heavily and separates them into two types: technical and aviation. Army Aviation warrant officers are Army Aviators (aircraft pilots - helicopter and airplane)

I figured it would be possibly pretty similar in the Navy, no?

Ignore the underlined part. I messed up a bit and I'm trying to fix this post.

I had also once considered Wing Commander and Squadron Leader as Wolfe's rank, but then he would be in the Air Force instead, and this won't make sense.
Qualified as a Navigator on all capital-class starship
Not to mention that these rank technically outrank captains in Air Force hierarchy, and I think Lego said there shouldn't be anyone higher than the rank of Commander. I need Wolfe to be able to lead at least a flight, but there doesn't seems to be the rank for it though...

Hmm... How about a compromise? I could lower the pay grade of Wolfe so that he won't have to be appointed directly by the President. How's that?

(And W-1s are appointed by the President? The Wiki says otherwise...)
For appointment to warrant officer (W-1), a warrant is approved by the Service Secretary of the respective branch of service (Secretary of the Army, or Secretary of the Navy for USMC warrant officers), while chief warrant officers (W-2 to W-5) are commissioned by the President of the United States, both warrant officers and chief warrant officers take the same Oath of Office as regular commissioned officers (O-1 to O-10)
Last edited by TheWolfShepherd on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
-He Who Shepherd His Flock-
Deske

Post by Deske »

Depends on where he's from. CWO's in the US Navy are ranked about enlisted and are considered officers only in qualification. Subordinate to the rank of O-1 but above the highest enlisted rank of E-9. I'm assuming this version since he said "Naval Aviator." Problems that come with that are: You are an advisory position. You fly a fighter ship as your main job as it seems and the bridge is staffed by full officers 99% of the time. As a CWO-3 "Naval Aviator" your designated duty is to lead fighter squadrons and or train new ones on how to not run into an asteroid.

As a general guide, I would use the ranks laid out in the introductory post of this OOC. Specifically the officer rank structure from Star Trek in the 24th Century, added note "Crewman" is an additional rank below Chief Petty Officer. Not saying it's wrong or anything, just saying it doesn't really have anywhere to be placed in the hierarchy. Rest of your sheet looks nice though, large and beautiful and detailed.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Sorry. Minor error on my part there. You are correct that, in the U.S. Warrant Officer Class Ones are NOT appointed by the President but Class 2 and above are.

In the U.K. You become a Warrant Officer Class 2 first, then Class 1. So my father did tell the tale but he must have ben class 2 when it happened.

A thought. We do need another player on the bridge. We have Lego as the Captain and Ensign Seena at Navigation - but she's a lightly used character of mine and I have a lot. We don't have a first or second officer. One who, in terms of Babylon 5, for example, can lead the fighter squadrons into battle. Might I suggest that as a role?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
TheWolfShepherd

@Deske: Umm... I think WeirdGamer had a character which is a warrant officer himself...
Desmond born in a warehouse. He was adopted by one of the workers, and learned everything about the job. He eventually grew up and joined the Republic navy, mostly to get away from his home. His wanderlust was calling. He did exceptionally well with clerical tasks and was quickly placed in the quartermaster program and made his way up to Warrant Officer.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

TheWolfShepherd wrote:@Deske: Umm... I think WeirdGamer had a character which is a warrant officer himself...
Desmond born in a warehouse. He was adopted by one of the workers, and learned everything about the job. He eventually grew up and joined the Republic navy, mostly to get away from his home. His wanderlust was calling. He did exceptionally well with clerical tasks and was quickly placed in the quartermaster program and made his way up to Warrant Officer.
Hm. I don't recall that character turning up.

It's time to turn it to Lego for a ruling, though. Essentially it's a minor point but it's the old "Seperated by teh same language" thing and, although Corp is outside of the Rank Structure (because you cannot arrest a Superior Officer - that's called Mutiny), a ruling on the structure could be helpful.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Sorry, I thought I responded. I say as long as you figure out the ranking issue, you should be fine. Welcome aboard.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
hackle

Post by hackle »

.. I never thought there would be so much talk & debating on military rankings in an Rp OOC thread lol
Social media, is just as much of a curse, as it is a blessing, & our government doesn't like being filmed so keep filming
Hackle V. Tremor ~Friendly foxy foo!! ^o^
TheWolfShepherd

@Welsh:
Hm. I don't recall that character turning up.
I think it is the second character in this post.

@Deske:
Problems that come with that are: You are an advisory position. You fly a fighter ship as your main job as it seems and the bridge is staffed by full officers 99% of the time. As a CWO-3 "Naval Aviator" your designated duty is to lead fighter squadrons and or train new ones on how to not run into an asteroid.
Sorry I forgot to answer this.
Well, as I said in my previous posts, the Army uses warrant officers as Army aviators as well, so I don't see how being a warrant officer would turn into an advisory position.
As I said before, perhaps lower Wolfe's pay grade would help with the problem?

@Lego:
I say as long as you figure out the ranking issue, you should be fine.
Does that means Wolfe is good to go?

Also, other than the Security team onboard, are there any other military detachments on board? Just curious.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

TheWolfShepherd wrote:Also, other than the Security team onboard, are there any other military detachments on board? Just curious.
Corp did assemble a fast response strike squad for assault missions, comprising security and other members of the crew. Most of those players have left. A new squad can be called on or, Lego permitting, a military presence could come on board due to the unusual amount of altercations between STEELHAVEN and INSIGNIA.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
TheWolfShepherd wrote:Also, other than the Security team onboard, are there any other military detachments on board? Just curious.
Corp did assemble a fast response strike squad for assault missions, comprising security and other members of the crew. Most of those players have left. A new squad can be called on or, Lego permitting, a military presence could come on board due to the unusual amount of altercations between STEELHAVEN and INSIGNIA.
Hmmmm......... That could work. They'd still have to obey the Captain and Corp, but otherwise they could be outside the chain of command. Might even give me a chance to use some abandoned character ideas I had.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Legotron123 wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Hmmmm......... That could work. They'd still have to obey the Captain and Corp, but otherwise they could be outside the chain of command. Might even give me a chance to use some abandoned character ideas I had.
There, I think, we have it. A W.O. in charge of a military team for assault purposes. He can command the ground forces from an armed ship which can be used as a fighter/bomber craft. How's that sound?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
TheWolfShepherd

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote: Corp did assemble a fast response strike squad for assault missions, comprising security and other members of the crew. Most of those players have left. A new squad can be called on or, Lego permitting, a military presence could come on board due to the unusual amount of altercations between STEELHAVEN and INSIGNIA.
There, I think, we have it. A W.O. in charge of a military team for assault purposes. He can command the ground forces from an armed ship which can be used as a fighter/bomber craft. How's that sound?
I'm 'fraid not.
Sorry for being so troublesome, but the question is actually intended for my next character, who should be a Marines/Army guy.
*sigh* Back I go to brainstorm more backstory ideas...
hackle

Post by hackle »

Sorry for being so troublesome, but the question is actually intended for my next character, who should be a Marines/Army guy.
*sigh* Back I go to brainstorm more backstory ideas...
Don't be sorry it was a simple misunderstanding & too many unknown variables to count. Least it's getting patched with different POV's who I hope knows their stuff lol
Social media, is just as much of a curse, as it is a blessing, & our government doesn't like being filmed so keep filming
Hackle V. Tremor ~Friendly foxy foo!! ^o^
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

And so we have a bridge officer. Who can command fighters if need be. Works for me.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Just in case you were wondering, in cases like these, the Steelhaven is supposed to prioritize self-defense first, and only move to assist the station once that task has been cleared, or if the station signals that they need the help more. It changes depending on multiple variables (such as VIPs, the presence of civilians, hostile environments, etc.), but to put it simply, you don't help your neighbors deal with a wasp's nest when your house is on fire.

TheWolfShepherd

@Lego: I assume you're talking about Wolfe's question.
Before his time as a test pilot, he served on a frigate with a legitimate military presence, i.e. a Marine/Army strike team on board, and so he wasn't accustomed to STEELHAVEN's position as a non-combatant.
And crew morale may take a hit, as I think this is the second time STEELHAVEN is not doing anything while a station is attacked.
Also, I thought Corp already said he already cleared the ship?

P.S. I'm just wondering... Is it alright to kill off minor characters that I created?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

TheWolfShepherd wrote:@Lego: I assume you're talking about Wolfe's question.
Before his time as a test pilot, he served on a frigate with a legitimate military presence, i.e. a Marine/Army strike team on board, and so he wasn't accustomed to STEELHAVEN's position as a non-combatant.
And crew morale may take a hit, as I think this is the second time STEELHAVEN is not doing anything while a station is attacked.
Also, I thought Corp already said he already cleared the ship?

P.S. I'm just wondering... Is it alright to kill off minor characters that I created?
Did he? I thought the ship was still swarmed with them. Plus Hackles last post implied there was still some stealth troopers around.
As for the killing, go nuts. Just don't go too into detail or make it too disturbing. This site does strive to be PG after all.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

To clear it up. Corp has sealed the ship because enough people are back on board. Right now he needs to make sure no new enemies get on board. As for numbers? Part of the terror of stealth troops is you don't really know if there are five on board or just four... Once he makes sure of the ship - his responsibility - then he'll concern himself with the station. Unless ordered to earlier, of course...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
TheWolfShepherd

organising teams of security but there seemed to be no more opposition here.
Well, guess I misinterpreted this then.
And this implied to Wolfe that the ship is already safe.
We think it's a squad of four. All accounted for
So, feel free to have any crew member rebut him.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'll sort as much as I can out in my next post but, for continuity's sake, Lego needs to post first.

EDIT:- Or not.

Did that help with some of the holes?

Incidentally, there's no trouble with people pointing out errors. Lego and myself need to know things like where we could be clearer and the only way to know is to be asked.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
TheWolfShepherd

Somewhat large post incoming as Wolfe explore tactical options.
Would like some description on the station though.
It is like the Yorktown in the recent Star Trek:Beyond or is it like some traditional sci-fi space station with only halls, rooms and corridors?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

TheWolfShepherd wrote:Somewhat large post incoming as Wolfe explore tactical options.
Would like some description on the station though.
It is like the Yorktown in the recent Star Trek:Beyond or is it like some traditional sci-fi space station with only halls, rooms and corridors?
I'd guess more the latter. Personally I've not yet seen Beyond but the stations I tend to recall had maybe a small arboretum if they were lucky. We know this one has shops and a museum but I doubt it's on the Babylon 5 scale (Ceremonial gardens helping to produce oxygen in a 5 mile long station with 250,000 inhabitants at any one time) But over to Lego.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
TheWolfShepherd

Well, Yorktown is the size of a small planet, so guess that won't be the correct size.
*sigh* There goes my intention of having Wolfe providing air support...
Eh. Will post something pretty soon.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I think we can say that's enough Barbarox for now.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I brought in the Barbarox because A. I introduced them at least a year again and had been waiting to use them, and B. I thought we had been using too much Insignia. But if that's how you feel, I guess we'll just go back to constantly reusing the same terrorist villains for every plotline. *obvioussarcasmisobvious*

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I was meaning on this attack, Lego.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Oh.

But yeah, I don't have any plans for them for at least a while.
Also, I realized that I haven't really established during what time of the year this is taking place. I was think March, you guys okay with that?

Deske

Post by Deske »

Does it matter too much what time it is? So far we've been to a few space stations and hyperspace a number of times. I don't really think it gets any colder in space depending on what month it is.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

So, in other words, Deske, March is good?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

No way, Mid December is where it's at.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Corp doesn't do mid winter pagan festivals.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

It's been 2 years since I left. You guys think you can catch me up on the important happenings in Steelhaven?
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Oh geez. Um........ Actually, not that much that I can think of. We had a movie night, we went to another station, and we just finishing up a Barbarox attack. Can anyone else think of something I've forgotten?

Deske

Post by Deske »

We had a Barbarox invasion, Movie night, Visited a station (It went well), Visited another Station (Is currently not going well), Subsequent Barbarox invasion.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Oh dang .3.
2 years only got that far!

Nobody liked Barry last time, so I'm going to make a new mech suit pilot. I may bring back the crazy doctor, though.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

MrNeonShot wrote: Nobody liked Barry last time, so I'm going to make a new mech suit pilot. I may bring back the crazy doctor, though.
Corp doesn't like anyone really.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

Colorado likes pretty much everyone.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

MrNeonShot wrote:Oh dang .3.
2 years only got that far!

Nobody liked Barry last time, so I'm going to make a new mech suit pilot. I may bring back the crazy doctor, though.
Please bring back the crazy doctor. Please?

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Do we need two mad medics?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

The doctor wasn't a medical doctor x3