2021/06/02 - I’ve Done Every Other Cliche As A Webcartoonist, Now Get Ready For: The Hiatus Notice

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2021/06/02 - I’ve Done Every Other Cliche As A Webcartoonist, Now Get Ready For: The Hiatus Notice

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that when he comes back that he will dive right back into that story but for now he needs time to take a break and figure out the best way to do the comic now.
valerio

Re: 2021/06/02 - I’ve Done Every Other Cliche As A Webcartoonist, Now Get Ready For: The Hiatus Notice

Post by valerio »

As of now, I dealy hope to see a massive trove of guest comics incoming to keep the site alive and funny. Let's all show our love for Rick, guys!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Doesn't look like we are getting any tonight. Really do hope that we do get some soon.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Well. With the comic in hiatus, maybe it's about time I start working on that fan story I've been mulling over off and on for the last few months...
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

the kangaroo looks very cuddly though
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would be careful saying things like that since its Rick's fursona and people don't take kindly to saying how adorable and cute they are and obsessing over them.
asaguda

Post by asaguda »

It's always been my opinion that one should take the time they need when they need it, and I've never felt like I'm owed an explanation as to why; So I respect and understand the decision to take a hiatus. Especially after 13 years of consistency! The reason why isn't very important for me to know either.
Burn out or RL drama or whatever, doesn't matter, you need a break, you take one.

Here's to hoping the hiatus does for him what he hopes it will.
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

So, like, I'm sure Rick has heard it a million times before, but can we talk about how cute that roo is? <3
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."
DustinR

Post by DustinR »

Sadly I won’t be sticking around for this comic as I have seen too many artists say they are taking a break, to find out later on they abandoned the series they had worked on for years. Shame I’ll never see how this arc would have eventually ended as well as how the whole series would ended.
Were Jack

Post by Were Jack »

You can say we've been... Rick rolled... 😂

But seriously, if anyone needs to take a time and think of things, let it be. Housepets! is probably my favorite webcomic and I understand that it's not always easy to come up with something, especially having deadly deadline over Your head. I create worlds, characters and stories too, so I understand even more. But I am never chased by time, I just do things when I want them to do.

What I want to say is that Rick deserves any kind of break. I'm not even sure if there was any break in Housepets ever (I'm not talking about things like "comic will be ready next time, sorry", because that can happen and it's really understandable), while other comics had things like that... maybe not regularly, but while I read other webcomics, I see they are often getting breaks. Sometimes long long breaks. Namely Prequel (Making a Cat Cry) or GaMERCaT. Everyone needs to take a time some days. And we've been getting Housepets strips since forever now. And who would ever think that some simple thing as antropomorphic pets can have bigger plot in it?

DustinR wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:27 am Sadly I won’t be sticking around for this comic as I have seen too many artists say they are taking a break, to find out later on they abandoned the series they had worked on for years. Shame I’ll never see how this arc would have eventually ended as well as how the whole series would ended.
Rick is proud of his creation. It's like his child. If those artists did that, then shame on them. And other Rick's artworks are very similar to Housepets, so it's not like he will be doing anything different. have a little faith in him. Look at the comic after a month, maybe two and it will be back before You will notice.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

We'll just see, mates. I suspect he'll be back by summer's end. No harm in hangin' around.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Rick isn't the kind to walk away and leave a comic he worked on for 13 years in limbo. He did that with his other works but this one is different because he has gotten awards for it.
valerio

Post by valerio »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 2:44 pm Rick isn't the kind to walk away and leave a comic he worked on for 13 years in limbo. He did that with his other works but this one is different because he has gotten awards for it.
Also, he did that with works still into their infancy and that were going on erratically. Rick was still finding his way back then.
I'd say that as of now he's got a whole highway going on and he's on a roll! And like with every multiproject one-man artist, he needs and deserves to take a decent break.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that this break he is taking will be very rejuvenating and he will get back into doing the comic immediately with renewed vigor!
tomindex

Post by tomindex »

Ricks leaving us :( I'm so sad you were so good rip. rest in pepperonni. (cries). I should have DROVE. I knew he was drunk but I didn't take the keyyyys!
Ok for real im thankful for this comic I started reading it 2019 and read the whole thing in like 3 weeks. It's a masterpiece I haven't read anything else by him I guess I have time to now. I know a few awesome things about writing from this group I joined. I think really, he needs some time to think about how he wants to end this arc cause it's the biggest one he's done I think in housepets. or at least pretty big. Whether it's predictable or not I always say, it's o.k. to be predictable and if people guess what's going to happen: still do it anyway. Cause they guess it to be proven right. and if it's unpredictable even better. I alway go into theories about things and sometimes I'm right but I still like seeing it play out cause all the little nuances and character traits make things unique.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Don't worry, Tom. He'll be back.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:40 am Don't worry, Tom. He'll be back.

More than that, I don't think he's going to slow down his other projects. He was recently streaming his monthly Patron picks as he normally does and he even mentioned two that are continuing in his message. Even if he comes to decide that it's time to end HP (which I don't for a second believe he's going to do) I think he would at least return for bit to finish the current story and wrap things up.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Rick be like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY9jQq7U85c

Also, I just now realized HousePets will probably end one day...
CuriousCnidarian wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:11 pm Well. With the comic in hiatus, maybe it's about time I start working on that fan story I've been mulling over off and on for the last few months...
I feel the same. I really need to write more entries in my fanfics.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

FireworkFox wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:49 pm I feel the same. I really need to write more entries in my fanfics.
Says nothing (bar my stories not really bing fabrics(!))
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Do you mean that your stories are not really fanfics? Not sure how your stories can be some sort of fabrics. XD
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 1:51 am Do you mean that your stories are not really fanfics? Not sure how your stories can be some sort of fabrics. XD
That is the worst autocorrect error I've had for some time. (Word before being 'being', of course)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I'm surprised i haven't posted here yet, but I'm looking forward to what direction Rick is going to take the story. He's at that moment now in Housepets where the timing feels just right.

I believe Rick has been planning for some serious storytelling for awhile ever since the K9PD arc, but I felt the way it was back then that the comic was making more misses than hits back when Rick did something like the K9PD arc. However, now that the story is moving into what I believe to be some hardcore story telling and Rick has been moving most of his stories in this direction, I think this would be a welcome change to the way the story is written.

I'll miss the three comic a week method, but i'm looking forward to what Rick is planning from here on.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We don't know 100% if Rick is going to drop that format though I am thinking that he might end up doing that because its less pressure.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

He does have a lot of irons in the fire and the "slice of life" dimensions of Housepets seem to be giving way to progressively longer narratives, new characters, and variations on older themes.

I understand. I taught a set of history courses for decades and loved doing it. Every now and then, though, I'd dream up a new course just for a change. Sometimes one of the new ones would eventually replace an old one even though there was still an audience for the one set aside (Hey, haven't seen Bino, Tiger, or Marvin for a while, right?). So let's just see where he goes, eh?
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Whenever he gets back I'll be ready- until then, like Viktor Navorski, I wait.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't want to sound like I am complaining but I do really wish though that he had guest strips while we wait. Though I understand why he isn't since he needs a full Housepets! break.
Sand424

Post by Sand424 »

Nothing on rick, I also do think them taking a break is a good idea of they're having a hard time with stories, but after being abandoned by my best friend, and now this?... Just hits hard man... Hits WAY too hard... Again, nothing on rick, this is legit only me, they're doing what's best for all of us, and especially them, it just, pulls the metaphorical rug under my feet while I'm already falling...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sorry that you were abandoned and left by your best friend. That is tough and pretty much why I always believe that somebody is gonna turn their back on me also.
AlyxVixen

Post by AlyxVixen »

Just hoping Housepets doesn't become another Bristled, Gamer Cat or Wayward Sons.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

AlyxVixen wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:18 am Just hoping Housepets doesn't become another Bristled, Gamer Cat or Wayward Sons.
It won't. I mean, after all, Housepets! is great and Bristled is awful.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that the comic will ever eventually fall into the depths of never being finished but it sounds like Rick wants to change it up a bit in his announcement. I'm sure the changes won't be that much different though.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Stop looking for hovertext,
I don't think I will,
And may Rick get enough rest
To fill
His creative brain up
Once again,
Full pages of inspiration
To flow from his pen.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It may have taken longer than 2 months but hey he is back. Plus if you weren't obsessively checking back time just flew by!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

And we're back ... kinda! Yay!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Even though we might get only one update per week that is better than nothing!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:54 am Even though we might get only one update per week that is better than nothing!
Agreed ... still, I'll miss the Mon-Wed-Friday sequences. Good pacing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It might just take a little bit to get used to. Especially as seeing as of now its only being updated once a week because Rick has to focus on other comics at the moment.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:34 pm It might just take a little bit to get used to. Especially as seeing as of now its only being updated once a week because Rick has to focus on other comics at the moment.
I was wondering about that - well, Rick did say it might take a while and the backlog's probably pretty hefty.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I hope in the future he can do 2 comics a week and maybe even go back to his old schedule but I'm just glad he came back. I can't imagine how much work it is to run a successful web comic.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 4:43 pm I hope in the future he can do 2 comics a week and maybe even go back to his old schedule but I'm just glad he came back. I can't imagine how much work it is to run a successful web comic.
.... let alone several of them.