GRAPENUT SHIP Resurfacing?"

Discuss the comic here
NHWestoN

Re: GRAPENUT SHIP Resurfacing?"

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, in comic strip land, imagination is the only boundary … plus the PG rating, I should add.
22xander

Post by 22xander »

Doesn't mean they couldn't feasably form a poly relationship X3
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Nothing's impossible. Only Improbable." The Mad Hatter. ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

No, I don't think we're going Beastars here yet. ;)
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:43 pm No, I don't think we're going Beastars here yet. ;)
Beastars definately not PG but I thought the various relationships made the Manga, it's a shame that the focus seemed to shift away from this more to big battles towards the end (without giving too much away). Did you finish it Weston If you don't mind me asking?
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was a bit interested in it until I learned that it turned away from slice-of-life. I really SUCK at anything other than that unless its an RP and someone else is doing the action.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

DDeer wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:45 am
NHWestoN wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:43 pm No, I don't think we're going Beastars here yet. ;)
Beastars definately not PG but I thought the various relationships made the Manga, it's a shame that the focus seemed to shift away from this more to big battles towards the end (without giving too much away). Did you finish it Weston If you don't mind me asking?
I'm reading it kinda slowly. It's sort of a "reward" thing - I read the english translation on line with a "Jack-and-Coke" on the side. The artwork is absolutely exceptional which, I assume, is part of the magna's attraction (excpt, since it's a magna, everybody sweats too much.) I'm at about chapter 110 where Legoshi has moved into The Hidden Condo and gotten to know Sebun (Interesting/spunky) and Zeguan (meh but I'll give him a chance).

Like you, it's the relationships that make the story, especially the complexities between Legoshi and Louis. The supporting cast is also generally very strong, especially Juno, Sheila (I was genuinely moved by the side-story of her and Peaches, the sheep), and Pina. (Gohin, who reminded me of my First Sargeant, also had a very tender episode with Ai, the sand fox - wonder if he/we will ever get to see her smile?) I'll always wonder what happened to Juno and Pina's performance of Adler - I assumed Riz kidnapping Pina wrecked it. I haven't resolved my conflicts about Bill yet - I often have mixed feelings about a character but I assume he'll show other sides later as the author seems to like him. Similarly, I haven't really warmed to some of the newer figures, either.

Also, I don't mind the violence although it does seem to go on and on. There's also a bit of a preposterous excess to it - I mean, really, how much smashing and bashing can the human/ursine/lupine body take? When I was in college, I had a friend who wanted to be an army doctor. he'd watch TV fight scenes and give "diagnostic evaluations" of the fight scenes ("Okay, minor concussion with fractured jaw ... Yow, he'll never hear out of that ear again ... likely organic rupture of stomach and ..."). Sometimes, story threads just disappear.

I guess my real problem with the narrative is that I find the Legoshi-Haru relationship a little - how shall I say it? - "unconvincing". Maybe it's just that, at my age and my stage, there are just subtleties in manga cultures and context that elude me. No matter. I learned long ago not to make any definitive judgments on a work before I finish it. (Never walked out on a movie, though I've slept through a few!) Overall, I'm enjoying Beastars and my leisurely wander through a different worls.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now that I am older, I find that watching many anime that is aimed at younger teenagers to be tedious and unrealistic but I guess that is just the allure of them.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Beastars from what I’ve seen is more adult-oriented. Also, perhaps we should try to get back to the topic of the thread here.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

D-Rock wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:23 pm Beastars from what I’ve seen is more adult-oriented. Also, perhaps we should try to get back to the topic of the thread here.
Sounds good.

I'm not against Grapenut by any means, it's a really cute ship, but I also really enjoy Grape and Max/Peanut and Tarot's romantic dynamics in canon.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:23 pm Beastars from what I’ve seen is more adult-oriented. Also, perhaps we should try to get back to the topic of the thread here.
Did I do that? Sorry. :oops: