Arcs that would never happen, but are fun to think about

Discuss the comic here
dr_eirik

Re: Arcs that would never happen, but are fun to think about

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:The puppies call up "Uncle" Kitsune and get him to take than on an adventure - and, boy, does he ever !!!
When the pups return, they cause King to pass out telling him about their adventure. Then Bailey asked where Kitsune really took them. "The zoo. I just told them to tell daddy their most imaginative story..."
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Peanut and Grape go to a traveling exhibit at the local museum and find Ptahs hat. Memories ensue.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Bruce and Roosy offer to give King, Bailey, and the pups a tour of the zoo. Old acquaintances are encountered, new ones are made, and King, of course, discovers new anxieties to agonize over.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Reminds me of a Popeye cartoon where he took Swee' Pea to the zoo, and while the baby was having a lot of fun putting himself in every possible dangerous situation, Popeye had to fight off almost all of the animals. Fun time for all, until Popeye scared him with a toy animal back home. Olive Oyl was not pleased.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Speaking of reminder, my dad (ol' navy guy) loved the Fleischer Popeye cartoons. (So did I!).
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Bino has gained so much weight that Jeff puts him on a diet. Max offers to “help” much to Bino’s dismay. They try a variety of schemes including having a work out plan created by Miles and the wolves. Despite how much Max treats it as a joke at first he slowly comes to better understand Bino better and they grow just a little more closer as siblings.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

fenrirblack wrote:Bino has gained so much weight that Jeff puts him on a diet. Max offers to “help” much to Bino’s dismay. They try a variety of schemes including having a work out plan created by Miles and the wolves. Despite how much Max treats it as a joke at first he slowly comes to better understand Bino better and they grow just a little more closer as siblings.
I’d like to see that arc, actually. I’m all for arcs where Max and Bino grow closer. I see Max with a whistle and a clipboard, saying things like “no pain no gain”.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah that would be a very nice arc. Its just too bad that it will never happen and we'll probably never see them growing closer.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Continuing the theme of pets going a diets, Tiger could be interesting to see. Jerry tried once and know what happened then but what if Tiger was put in a situation where he didn’t have immediate access to food. An arc comprised of Tiger doing different schemes to try and get food only to fail. I said before how it would be fun to have Tiger go to camp so that’s one possibility. Tiger runs away from home and finds himself somewhere where he can’t buy food. Tiger goes wild.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Do you mean that Tiger goes wild as in has a full on nervous breakdown or go wild as in him going feral? Distinctions are important. :)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Do you mean that Tiger goes wild as in has a full on nervous breakdown or go wild as in him going feral? Distinctions are important. :)
Both? My thinking was not full feral but stumbling out of the woods half starved and half mad only to have Marvin tell him he's been gone for half a day. Dressed in leaves, covered in dirt with his fur sticking out in every direction with a crazed look in his eye.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

A Series of Housepets: What If? ideas:
1. What If...Joel/King met Dragon first instead of Pete (with Tarot and Sabrina being his avatars)?
2. What If...Sasha actually did kill Keene via drowning?
3. What If...Kitsune and Peanut switched bodies?
4. What If...Grape stayed in the past with Ptah?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Peanut and Grape doze off while playing Monopoly and find themselves emmeshed in the game, playing against Keene, Gale, Duchess, and (shudder) Eudoant.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

SeanWolf wrote:A Series of Housepets: What If? ideas:
1. What If...Joel/King met Dragon first instead of Pete (with Tarot and Sabrina being his avatars)?
1. What If...Joel/King met Dragon first instead of Pete (with Tarot and Sabrina being his avatars)? Dragon wouldn't have changed him into dog to start with so their relationship would not exist.
2. What If...Sasha actually did kill Keene via drowning? Keene would have remained in heaven, Fox would have had a harder time tracking her down but Orwell would still be arrested, and the Temple Crashers 2 arc as well as the Hot Spring Arc would not happen. Actually almost every arc since would not have happened including Marion if the Dino-Demon was somehow responsible for his transformation. Steward would still be human and the coin would still be in still standing temple.
3. What If...Kitsune and Peanut switched bodies? Would Peanut have Kitsune's powers or just his body?
4. What If...Grape stayed in the past with Ptah? Peanut and Max would be heartbroken. There would heiroglyphics in Egypt depicting her rise to power and probably a few monuments in her honor as well as a complete rewritten history of Egypt.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

fenrirblack wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:A Series of Housepets: What If? ideas:
1. What If...Joel/King met Dragon first instead of Pete (with Tarot and Sabrina being his avatars)? Dragon wouldn't have changed him into dog to start with so their relationship would not exist.
2. What If...Sasha actually did kill Keene via drowning? Keene would have remained in heaven, Fox would have had a harder time tracking her down but Orwell would still be arrested, and the Temple Crashers 2 arc as well as the Hot Spring Arc would not happen. Actually almost every arc since would not have happened including Marion if the Dino-Demon was somehow responsible for his transformation. Steward would still be human and the coin would still be in still standing temple.
3. What If...Kitsune and Peanut switched bodies? Would Peanut have Kitsune's powers or just his body?
4. What If...Grape stayed in the past with Ptah? Peanut and Max would be heartbroken. There would heiroglyphics in Egypt depicting her rise to power and probably a few monuments in her honor as well as a complete rewritten history of Egypt.
Well...those were depressing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Sasha did succeed in killing Keene, I'm pretty sure that there would be no more Sasha as she killed a pet who also happened to be very affluent. That would make the authorities deem Sasha a dangerous pet and she would most likely be sentenced to euthanasia. Orwell probably would have gotten a HARSHER sentence in that case but not much more than what he has. Fox and Kevin would be completely destroyed by Sasha's death. The remaining ferrets would have fallen apart without their leader and it could easily lead to Thomas managing to get ahold of their inheritance and leaving them broke. The neighborhood would go on a downward spiral. Complete with Sasha's owner drinking himself to death out of guilt for what happened.

That isn't something that is just depressing. It is 100% nihilistic.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:If Sasha did succeed in killing Keene, I'm pretty sure that there would be no more Sasha as she killed a pet who also happened to be very affluent. That would make the authorities deem Sasha a dangerous pet and she would most likely be sentenced to euthanasia. Orwell probably would have gotten a HARSHER sentence in that case but not much more than what he has. Fox and Kevin would be completely destroyed by Sasha's death. The remaining ferrets would have fallen apart without their leader and it could easily lead to Thomas managing to get ahold of their inheritance and leaving them broke. The neighborhood would go on a downward spiral. Complete with Sasha's owner drinking himself to death out of guilt for what happened.

That isn't something that is just depressing. It is 100% nihilistic.
I have to disagree with some of those. Fox and Kevin being “destroyed” might be an over exaggeration. Fox will throw himself into his work, eventually becoming a renegade cop with nothing to lose. Kevin, bless his heart, will mourn then move on. Lana would take over the Milton household but she would have to wrestle It way from Steward which would be a story onto itself. The neighborhood would go on a downhill spiral? I think the neighborhood will survive. Mr. Hartford wouldn’t drink himself to death out of guilt as much as probably fall apart without Sasha babysitting him. Best case He’ll probably end up arrested and sharing a cell with Orwell.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just think that if Rick ever were to kill off a main character rather than a guest character, it might mean that the comic is coming to an end and having a bad ending.

Unless its somebody's nightmare (since Sasha is dead, I'm going with Fox's). Its just like Halsey said. It's no sweet dream but a **** of a nightmare.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I just think that if Rick ever were to kill off a main character rather than a guest character, it might mean that the comic is coming to an end and having a bad ending.

Unless its somebody's nightmare (since Sasha is dead, I'm going with Fox's). Its just like Halsey said. It's no sweet dream but a **** of a nightmare.
I could see such a thing happening in some kind of "It's a Wonderful Life" kind of way. A character (I suspect Fox works best) who in a moment of despair wishes that he'd never been born. Then, suddenly, he wasn't. It's especially workable in this comic since there is a character who can literally do this. Heck, remove Fox and Kings life goes even worse. He doesn't meet Bailey (or doesn't until he's been stuck a dog for a lot longer) and likely goes off the rails. And the game ends very differently.

On a flip side, there's always the chance to use an antagonistic character (Bino or Duchess) and see how much life would be better without them. Perhaps to Kitsunes embarrassment. "I really thought the world was better with you... sorry..."
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

In the stated scenario, I would assume that Sasha would be exonerated from murder since she was "under the influence" of Orwell's mind-control scheme. Clearly, taking Keene to a higher plane would rewrite several arcs and change the life circumstances of more than a few characters.

Now, if we're thinking of killing a character - which I'd really rather not - then there'd be an interesting ripple effect from doing in Jessica Possum. Her death would reverberate through Babylon Gardens, the feral community, and probably beyond (she'd be a match for BOTH Great Kitsune and Eudoant!). But let's just not..... :roll:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that Rick would go and kill off Jessica simply because that might be cruel to Zach who not only has someone who really cares for him and loves him but someone who can also stick up for him when he needs it. His life might get much worse, especially since as "The Opener of Ways", the ferals might expect him to be able to resurrect Jessica and when he can't, they turn against him and kick him out of the forest. Not to mention his family much like Jeff and Bino don't really seem to be bothered with what happened to him. Does Jerry even know where Zach is? Plus Tiger resents him due to his extreme jealousy and Marvin just wants to have his own arc. So I can't see Jessica being killed off ever.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I just think that if Rick ever were to kill off a main character rather than a guest character, it might mean that the comic is coming to an end and having a bad ending.

I could see such a thing happening in some kind of "It's a Wonderful Life" kind of way. A character (I suspect Fox works best) who in a moment of despair wishes that he'd never been born. Then, suddenly, he wasn't. It's especially workable in this comic since there is a character who can literally do this. Heck, remove Fox and Kings life goes even worse. He doesn't meet Bailey (or doesn't until he's been stuck a dog for a lot longer) and likely goes off the rails. And the game ends very differently.

On a flip side, there's always the chance to use an antagonistic character (Bino or Duchess) and see how much life would be better without them. Perhaps to Kitsunes embarrassment. "I really thought the world was better with you... sorry..."
For what it's worth, I did a scenario in my fan fiction where I played with the idea of what would happen if Joel was never King. It was kind of fun. Pete chose serial killer to be his avatar but still lost to Dragon. Fox never joined the K9-PD and Bailey never moved to Babylon Gardens. Joel had a son. It got crazy. Demons showed up, it got real crazy.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You know there was someone else who wrote another fanfic about that same scenario though King accidentally chose to wrong item that defined his destiny when Kitsune gave him the opportunity to decide what kind of life he wanted. That author wrote in another pet named "Rook" to be King's stand-in. I wonder whatever happened to that fic?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:You know there was someone else who wrote another fanfic about that same scenario though King accidentally chose to wrong item that defined his destiny when Kitsune gave him the opportunity to decide what kind of life he wanted. That author wrote in another pet named "Rook" to be King's stand-in. I wonder whatever happened to that fic?
actually, his name was Bishop, and he wasn't a king substitute, he was an amnesiac de-powered pete (though none of the characters knew that yet at the time the fic fell apart). i was playing it as if ending the game that way undid the game entirely, but then i got stuck on one part for a while and by the time i had untangled it the ancient history arc started and i realized continuing down that rabbit hole was going to mean a lot more work than id bargained for, as i now had to figure out how thousands of years of history had changed, rather than a few decades. (yeah i know the hints had already been there for some time, but pete trying to justify his actions in trial is easier to gloss over as hyperbole, than actually physically being there is.)

the idea was that by the time Joel figured out what bishop was, and had sorted out the repressed memories from the ever-shifting timeline, he's left with a bit of a sadistic choice: see, he and bishop are really close by then, and bishop, despite learning of his and Ripley's (His littermate as a corgi, easy guess who she is) heritage, doesn't want to go back to who he was, but it's the only way for joel to go back.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Wow. Sounds like a great idea, really, especially that ending. In reading what you had, never would have guessed who Bishop and Ripley used to be.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Wait a second? You were the one that wrote the fanfic Buster? The corgi's name that Joel got was Bishop? Wow shows you how good my memory is that I didn't realize that. I thought the author was someone who vanished from the forums. Why did you ever stop writing it?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

...i LITERALLY just explained why...

but if you want details, i was having a hard time deciding if showing how much the Game had changed due to paradox and the active interference of the outsider, should come before or after joel starting to put the pieces together. finally decided that later worked better for joel and had an idea for an encounter with fox that would really mess him up, since bishop's different personality from king reinforces bino fox and rex's dynamic instead of breaking it, leading to a character who has started to develop in the other direction.

by the time i had gotten all of that worked out and an outline drafted, canon events had become a bit of a frustrating monkey wrench in my plans. since the outsider's interference was supposed to be right from the start of the game, which now meant centuries instead of decades.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Pugfanatic7708

Post by Pugfanatic7708 »

A persona 5 like housepets arc. you'd only get it if you played or understand the persona games
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Pugfanatic7708 wrote:A persona 5 like housepets arc. you'd only get it if you played or understand the persona games
Interesting, though I'm pretty sure most of the readers (like me) would be confused at everything if they never played the game, as you said (like me). What about a Banjo-Kazooie style arc, with Peanut as Banjo, Tarot as Kazooie, and Gruntilda being played by Jessica?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that a video game style arc would end up being more suited for an "Imaginate" play that they put together and thus far they have only did books so they would have to move to other media.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Well then why not a Jojo imaginate?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just saying that I am fine with any sort of "Imaginate" although more often than not, I won't have any clue what the storyline is if it shifts to video games or anime.

Which actually is quite the same as the "Imaginate" plays for me now. :|
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Just saying that I am fine with any sort of "Imaginate" although more often than not, I won't have any clue what the storyline is if it shifts to video games or anime.

Which actually is quite the same as the "Imaginate" plays for me now. :|
Ditto.
I get the feeling Rick has lost interest in "Imaginates" anyways. They're probably a little research-intense.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Watch the comic now because after you just said that after Marion's arc is over, there will be an "Imagine" arc. :mrgreen:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Watch the comic now because after you just said that after Marion's arc is over, there will be an "Imagine" arc. :mrgreen:
I feel like I've said this before, but assuming that Marion is still furry after these various arcs, it would be fun to see him somehow roped into the next Imaginate arc, acting under a paper bag, and trying to work though the insanity that can occur during those parts.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that he would need a little time because he is still getting over the craziness of THIS arc. :mrgreen:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think that he would need a little time because he is still getting over the craziness of THIS arc. :mrgreen:

Oh, he only just hit the crazy in this one. In comic time, he's been involved for a couple hours or so and has only had the crazy bomb just dropped on him. I'm sure it's going to get really nuts once things pick back up.

Hey, if the Celestials get involved here, maybe there's a chance he'll get to see them again.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Has he ever seen the Celestials now up until this point? :?:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Has he ever seen the Celestials now up until this point? :?:
Sure, he went to Heaven with Joel after meeting Cerebus. He was also in the diner in Australia when the Game ended. And in the Temple he would have at least seen them.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was actually talking about if MARION had seen the Celestials yet.