Some thoughts on Steward and the last arc...

Discuss the comic here
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Some thoughts on Steward and the last arc...

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

So, I just binge red through Temple Crashers 2.

Steward (if that really is his name) apparently getting turned into a badger at the end was an interesting character twist. It's really making me think of some of the implications here, the first one being that I bet he really regrets interfering with Keene's animal rights campaign.

Of course, I kept thinking that he was working for some larger outside organization, and the part where Thomas shows up is evidence against that, but doesn't rule it out: I'm considering it as still entirely possible that he was working for some anti animal rights organization and that Thomas was just a convenient way to screw with Keene. If he was part of such an organization though, why hasn't he contacted them yet? The thought I have at the moment is that maybe he has not only failed but been turned into an animal, so maybe he assumes (probably correctly) that they would either lock him in a cage or possibly kill him to keep their secret safe, as they certainly wouldn't have any more use for him as he is. In any case, the idea that there is a shadowy organization working against Keene is intriguing to me.

On another note, I like how Steward realizes that Karishad, with his Pinkie Pie esque understanding of things, is probably the only character who could still recognize him without even being told that he was a badger now. What I'm really wondering though is what he said to Jessica. Did he offer her that gold and she just didn't take it? Did he give her some sort of explanation, and was it true? Why has he chosen to stay so close to Keene if he can no longer expect Keene to allow him to do anything?

I'm also wondering if this ties in with the Wolves no longer being the security guards, because if the ferrets higher humans, or worse, no one at all, they might not be able to catch a badger sneaking in. I feel like they are making a big mistake on that one: the wolves are not only incredibly capable, but incredibly loyal, especially since it would be very difficult to drive any of them, especially for an anti animal group like the ones that the ferrets probably need protection from. And speaking of why they need protection, I kept wondering what Rick Griffin was going to do with Lana, seeing as she is the most capable of the ferrets after Keene, but without his megalomania type thing. The question I have, is how much does she actually know? Is she aware of the supernatural stuff? Has she seen the videos of Steward? Does she know that he's a badger now?

Anyway, I had an odd idea for how Rick might continue this character art with Steward. He's now living with a group of semi civilized animals, a couple of whom have children. What if, over the course of whatever his next scheme is, he starts to realize that Keen was probably doing the right thing? I sort of pictured him showing up at Keane's new house, apologizing to him, and giving him that gold coin that people are discussing in that other thread. The other possibility is that he has an angry Outburst on them, and gets kicked out, and / or the coin is just stolen from him. Either way, I think an arc where we figure out what stewards deal was and eventually get some closure with him would be a really worthwhile read. I think it's clear that Rick intends to bring him back in some major capacity.

And what's the deal with Pete and Dragon? Clearly they still remember their old lives completely, those are goal seems to have shifted from an ideological battle over how things should work to be shared desire to get out of this situation. The other possibility of who could use that coin is definitely them, and since they are celestials, this is where I think Breel could really come into play.

Anyway, just a long rambling dump of my thoughts after reading through all of that at once. I may have missed a few comics before that, and not realized it, so please tell me if I've missed some crucial detail here.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Fanfiction Character: Vallerie Nightengale (female, idiot)
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Re: Some thoughts on Steward and the last arc...

And of course, the thing that I missed was the fact that they caught the guy who nearly murdered Keene.
Hey guys, I'm one of the RP section mods. Feel free to bug me any time: I'm not strict and I try to be very approachable.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

RockstarRaccoon wrote:Steward (if that really is his name)
In his first appearance, it is explained that Steward really is his real name. The ferrets hired him back when they had just inherited Mr. Milton's fortune and were spending money like no tomorrow. They hired him because "A steward named Steward? LOL let's do it!"
What smart decision it turned out to be....
RockstarRaccoon wrote:Of course, I kept thinking that he was working for some larger outside organization, and the part where Thomas shows up is evidence against that, but doesn't rule it out: I'm considering it as still entirely possible that he was working for some anti animal rights organization and that Thomas was just a convenient way to screw with Keene. If he was part of such an organization though, why hasn't he contacted them yet? The thought I have at the moment is that maybe he has not only failed but been turned into an animal, so maybe he assumes (probably correctly) that they would either lock him in a cage or possibly kill him to keep their secret safe, as they certainly wouldn't have any more use for him as he is.
While this is possible, the whole idea of the organization going "You are one of them now. You are no longer of use to us." might be a tad too dark for the comic.

It's more likely that he was just embezzling money from the ferrets, then got even greedier and decided to team up with Thomas to steal the temple's treasure, and now he's just plotting his revenge on Keene for: 1) Telling him the treasure was cursed, letting him go into a wild goose chase. 2) Rating him out to the police. 3) Letting him out to dry when he got turned into a badger.

RockstarRaccoon wrote:On another note, I like how Steward realizes that Karishad, with his Pinkie Pie esque understanding of things, is probably the only character who could still recognize him without even being told that he was a badger now.
So THAT'S why he was covering his face in that one panel! HAHAHA! Nice catch, RockstarRacoon!
RockstarRaccoon wrote:I'm also wondering if this ties in with the Wolves no longer being the security guards, because if the ferrets higher humans, or worse, no one at all, they might not be able to catch a badger sneaking in. I feel like they are making a big mistake on that one: the wolves are not only incredibly capable, but incredibly loyal, especially since it would be very difficult to drive any of them, especially for an anti animal group like the ones that the ferrets probably need protection from.
Oh, yeah. The new guards that will likely replace the wolves will be human! That might be a problem with that coin around.
RockstarRaccoon wrote:The question I have, is how much does she actually know? Is she aware of the supernatural stuff? Has she seen the videos of Steward? Does she know that he's a badger now?
[/quote]
All the ferrets know Breel was dead and had returned to Earth, so yeah, I assume they know everything else.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
RockstarRaccoon
Worst Mod EVER!

Silly Zealot wrote:
RockstarRaccoon wrote:Steward (if that really is his name)
In his first appearance, it is explained that Steward really is his real name. The ferrets hired him back when they had just inherited Mr. Milton's fortune and were spending money like no tomorrow. They hired him because "A steward named Steward? LOL let's do it!"
What smart decision it turned out to be....
I am aware. We still cannot say for certain that that is his real name though, partially for the reason you just said: if an organization wanted to plant an agent in Henry Milton's organization after his death, why wouldn't they fake his name?
While this is possible, the whole idea of the organization going "You are one of them now. You are no longer of use to us." might be a tad too dark for the comic.
Having personally discussed this sort of thing with Rick Griffin at length back when I was more involved here, I can assure you that it's not. Rick has actually had stuff like that in the comic several times in the past, and I'm surprised at how good he is at slipping it under the radar.
RockstarRaccoon wrote:*compares Karishad to Pinkie Pie*
So THAT'S why he was covering his face in that one panel! HAHAHA! Nice catch, RockstarRacoon!
Yeah, I thought it was a nice little touch.
Oh, yeah. The new guards that will likely replace the wolves will be human! That might be a problem with that coin around.
What happens when you have a pile of guards get turned into squirrels and ducks and stuff in the workplace? Do the Ferrets have to set them up for life now to prevent an issue?
RockstarRaccoon wrote:The question I have, is how much does she actually know? Is she aware of the supernatural stuff? Has she seen the videos of Steward? Does she know that he's a badger now?
All the ferrets know Breel was dead and had returned to Earth, so yeah, I assume they know everything else.
That's true. Maybe she is aware of all this stuff, and we don't know for sure that Keene isn't still running schemes...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay so for the last month I’ve been racking my brain trying to figure out what Stewards plan could possibly be. I kept running into the same problem of “he has a magic coin so what?” Then it hit me. The answer is so obvious that I can’t believe I didn’t see it even after watching eight straight seasons of Criminal Minds. The answer is taking someone hostage.

Okay, so we know that Pete and Dragon need to get to Egypt. Well, Steward uses the coin to turn one of the humans into some animal, for the sake of this theory let’s go with Mrs. Sandwich. Since she and Earl are like the only human couple we’ve ever seen (really). So Earl is forced to take Steward, Pete, and Dragon on a plane ride to Egypt because Pete and Dragon tell Steward that they can use the mana to change him back. Steward uses this info to blackmail Earl. If he wants Jill to go back to normal then they all take a road trip.

After that who knows. This isn’t my story, I already have a convoluted plot taking place in this universe.

Speaking of crimes, I need someone to explain what Steward’s crime was? He was packing to make his grand escape and Keene “caught everything on camera” but what exactly? As far as I can tell his only crime was almost stealing the gold from the temple or assisting in stealing the gold? If that’s true then, what!? Wasn’t he like strealing the Milton’s money and sending it to an off shore account or something like a real crime? It doesn’t make sense to me. If his only crime was plotting to steal the gold, there is no way that would hold up in court. The temple is gone so is any evidence that there ever was treasure. Even whatever Keene caught on camera would not be much help. A half decent lawyer could easily keep him out of jail or at least get him a slap on the wrist. Steward didn’t even go into the temple and again it’s a magic temple. Try explaining that in a court. I feel like Steward’s involvement in the temple arc was not well planned or explained. What was he doing that was so illegal?
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.