Things you finally noticed on rereading

Discuss the comic here
Amazee Dayzee

Re: Things you finally noticed on rereading

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

To be fair though whenever I had my eyes dilated with the eye drops so everything was a bit clearer for a while I never had light hurt my eyes.

I'm sure when I get older there will probably be some damage then. :lol:
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Kix's eyes are blue, slightly purple. This was only visible in her first appearance if you look VERY closely. These were the last days before eye-color would be completely done away with.

Wait, this isn't the "absolutely useless information" topic...
I specialize in wolf head avatars.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But if you noticed it after rereading, then it definitely fits very well in this topic. ;)
FalinkesInculta

Post by FalinkesInculta »

spade_evidence.png
spade_evidence.png (42.59 KiB) Viewed 9320 times
Bailey's upper chest fur pattern is of a spade
Next up is a song about a beautiful woman i met,

Just kidding,

Its about getting drunk
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Fits with the card theme, doesn’t it? Though I also thought it was Rick making her look feminine without actually giving her noticeable breasts.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought that was why that Rick did it also but I didn't want to say it as a fact when it could be wrong. The only person who knows why Bailey has that now is Rick himself.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It’s also some nice design variety.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

i also like the optical illusion that you end up getting from it in thinking that she has a chest but its just the spade pattern.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I noticed it long ago, but something that struck a cord with me recently is that Max seems to be the only animal so far who could memorize the numbers on his dad's creditcard. Good with numbers?
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I suspect Peanut could do the same.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He just doesn't really feel the need to do it. I wonder if Jeff knows about that though?
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

What Trinket says here.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

She didn't know at the time but now that she's ditched Cory (or Cory ditched her) and partnered up with Steward she knows of one in existence. =D
Crazy_Simone

Post by Crazy_Simone »

In comic 2012-02-17-pageantly-absurd, I finally realized Duches was looking at the Kitsune statue. And she thought that was a trophy.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

However I don't think King saying that meant he was literally in a pageant. I think it means that since Pete forced him to be his avatar, now he was stuck with the statue as a link to how he became a corgi. If that makes sense.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Earl Sandwich has appeared in 30 strips, making him the comic's most recurrent human character who has remained human. King, Marion, Thomas, Lois, and Steward have all appeared more but got transformed into animals (Almost all of whom appeared more after transforming, Marion never appeared before transforming). I guess it pays to be Peanut and Grape's "Dad" and Itsuki's "Boss." Jill Sandwich is the second most recurring human with 19 appearances while Bill, Jeeves, and Celia Milton have 12.
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:12 pm However I don't think King saying that meant he was literally in a pageant. I think it means that since Pete forced him to be his avatar, now he was stuck with the statue as a link to how he became a corgi. If that makes sense.
Entering King in a dog show, especially one with a potentially embarrassing "pageant" angle, to tease him about his altered status is exactly what Pete would do though.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is true too and all of the attempt to try to break King just made him more hateful towards Celestials in the first place.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, that's the downside of growing someone who get stronger with discontent. Like Ares in the video game, God of War. Did everything he could to make the main character, Kratos, as powerful as he could get. It culminated with Kratos killing Ares.
96N64player

Post by 96N64player »

Peanuts reaction to seeing hugs is exactly the same almost a decade later.

Philippians 3:13
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

A careing hug from a furry Celestial, that has to be a great feeling.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He should watch out if he hugs me then because I might never let go.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Just realized that "Heaven is a place on Earth" as the hold music in yesterday's strip is kind of an ironic callback to Heaven is Apace on Earth when Kitsune was explaining how granting Heaven on Earth defeats the purpose of Earth. Seeing as that looks to be exactly what is happening at the moment.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Desperate times call for desperate measures and having two creatures from the Underworld walking among the mortals probably counts as desperate.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

96N64player wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:06 pm Peanuts reaction to seeing hugs is exactly the same almost a decade later.

This is way too similar to be a coincidence. I think Rick did this on purpose as a callback to that strip.
96N64player

Post by 96N64player »

MasterAbsinthe wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:35 am This is way too similar to be a coincidence. I think Rick did this on purpose as a callback to that strip.
I think so to, but I didn't remember how similar the two were until I reread the comic.
Philippians 3:13
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm pretty sure that years later while some of my reaction to things would be the different, stuff would mostly be the same.

Though in the dark time that we are in now my reaction to hugs would be more extreme because I wanna feel comfort. :(
OrWasIt.EXE

Post by OrWasIt.EXE »

A small thing, but I often notice these days how well Tarot's comments about the death card in "The Real Culprit" fits King surprisingly well.

Firstly, "resisted transformation" should be obvious.

"But we must embrace change! It is a thing to overcome, and not to fear. For only in overcoming our fears can we face the greatest challenges of life and reap the greatest rewards."

By embracing his life as a dog and overcoming his fears regarding it, King faced against an outright demigod, and reaped the rewards of a happy, peaceful life with Bailey.
What do you get when you cram a shapeshifter, a dog-dragon, two wolves, a human, a robot, a bear, and a fox into one vessel? (They/Them pronouns)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just hoping at least for his sake the adversities and troubles that he faced won't come back and he can enjoy all of his lifetime now.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

King was actually motivated to work once lol.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I want to know more about that special late-season event that the zoo held that made King look so horrified in the last panel.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It was the deal to get groups of people in at a cut cost. They’re visit to the zoo, as Miles stated there, wasn’t the best.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Bit random on my part: I was looking at past HP characters and strips, just to see who I could add for HPZ admittedly (HousepetZ) and I was looking over the Forgotten for a bit (Spoilers for those who haven't read it: In HPZ, the Forgotten is destroyed by Bino first then Zach) and I realized something. I could be wrong but didn't Breel accidently create The Forgotten when he cried into the mana pool? So, technically, it's Breel's fault for said creature's existence. Again, could be wrong but fun to speculate.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I thought that it just manifested when anything ended up contaminating the pool and was kept in another dimension until something ended up corrupting the mana pool and its job was to drag it to Pandemonium.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Sir Chestnut wrote: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:02 pm I highly doubt King would have understood, but I think Bailey would have. Although, being from Kansas maybe she just assumed that sort of thing might be normal in Babylon Gardens? Both of them did nervously look at eachother when Fox found out though.

And it's a little thing, but Fox was so shocked that he dropped the remote.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

I don't think King and Bailey are looking at each other. Rather, they are looking nervously at Fox, whose idol just turned out to be a cat-lover. King and Bailey had at that time spent years in the Babylon Gardens pet community, where they know Fido is revered as a hero and anti-cat sentiments are painfully normal. No way they would have missed it, they understand that Fido revealing his love for a cat is easily the most disastrous thing that could happen in the neighborhood.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

.... which is further underscored by the reactions of Bino and Duchess in the last panel - Bino being the resident cat-loather. (Not sure Herself has ever expressed any sentiments about felines one way or the other, but they probably come under the routine disdain in which Duchess holds everyone who is not her.)
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

I have just reread up to Jungle Fever, and this comes right after the Gallifrax Protocol and Dragon isn't mentioned. Later, Sabrina mentions ex-boyfriends as part of her complaints towards Dragon and this is presumably included, but Dragon's absence always makes me think that this happens after Heavens Not Enough.

Also, Peanut not caring is adorable. Even Tarot seems a bit surprised while Peanut doesn't even glance up from his game.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Leotamer wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:53 am I have just reread up to Jungle Fever, and this comes right after the Gallifrax Protocol and Dragon isn't mentioned. Later, Sabrina mentions ex-boyfriends as part of her complaints towards Dragon and this is presumably included, but Dragon's absence always makes me think that this happens after Heavens Not Enough.
Jungle Fever definitely takes place before Heaven's Not Enough. Fox doesn't seem to know King's secret in Jungle Fever, and in Heavens not Enough he knows to go to Fido to see Sabrina.
Last edited by CunningFox on Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Fox doesn't know that King and Joel are the same until Joel calls him over after he changes back to human. Prior to that moment, I don't think the concept even entered his brain. But Fox is learning. When he would later meet a possibly insane squirrel that claimed to be a former high school student who had gone missing, he was at least willing to entertain the concept.
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

In the hot springs saga, Tarot mentions how see wants to be more like Peanut. When Max rebutes why she is controlling him so much, she says that of course she is controlling because she loves him.

This is played off as a gag, but then you remember one of the strongest influences on Tarot was Dragon.