Things you finally noticed on rereading

Discuss the comic here
Amazee Dayzee

Re: Things you finally noticed on rereading

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm pretty sure that is because it is in some language that has been lost for many millennia. XD
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Not exactly something that I noticed after rereading, but something that I didn't fully understand until now:

In this strip, King is shown unconditional sympathy and love after being forcefully removed from his old life, transformed into a dog, and abused by Pete for many months. He's definitely fighting back tears!
I specialize in wolf head avatars.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I didn’t notice that either, it shows Miles’s kindness.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Honestly when I saw that I thought that he was tearing up due to his injuries at first.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Took me a while to realize Jaser is a reference to Tom(from "Tom and Jerry").
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In that vein though I would like to see some shows where Jasper wins over Jinx because there were times when Tom won over Jerry.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Can someone please help me understand what the punchline is? This was discussed earlier in this thread but they didn't say exactly WHAT King thought Boris wanted from him. Apparently it's a cold war reference?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am thinking that when Boris told King that he wanted to see his papers that King thought he meant papers that would prove his citizenship and that he is in the country legally since the Cold War had some spying and espionage going on. However I can't be too sure.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

We can't know if it's Sabrina or Mungo talking about their family, It could be either of them. Before, I thought it was Mungo talking, which would be another indication that he's related to Satau. But at the same time it makes more sense if it's Sabrina talking, since she has very clear associations with Africa (born in Malta, close to Africa, and spent six months in Feraga, wears an egyptian symbol around her neck). It looks like Rick made this piece of dialog deliberately ambiguous so we can't know who's family is from Africa.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

With that strip admittedly, I always believed that it was Mungo talking. Sabrina could have been born stateside then when she was adopted by Stanley D'Angelo, she ended up going all over the world with him.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Houndstooth from Chapter: 128. The Identity Of Spot actually premiered in Chapter: 97. The Spot-tacular Spot, yet his name hasn't ever appeared outside the tags and in the comic itself.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:With that strip admittedly, I always believed that it was Mungo talking. Sabrina could have been born stateside then when she was adopted by Stanley D'Angelo, she ended up going all over the world with him.
I've said my take on that strip in the Mungo's Heritage thread and with the little information we have it's still subjective, but at the very least we know Sabrina wasn't born stateside because she was born in Malta.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now that I know that, you are right and it could go either way and it is just a conclusion that readers have to come up with for themselves. I thought that it was Mungo talking since after Mungo closed the door he turned to Sabrina and she asked the question.

Also, I tend to associate Malta with being more Italian than a part of North Africa.
CuriousCnidarian

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

It's not rereading, but it's related to the comic and not worth an entire thread, so I'm posting this here:
Isn't Marion a girls' name? Everything I've found points to it being so. Which is strange to me as to why any loving parent in this day and age would name their son Marion. I know John Wayne's original name was Marion Morrison, but he changed it for a reason.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Marion is actually a unisex name and it can be used either way but you are right. In the past it might have been a name for a male and more trendy but now its more associated with a female. However it seems that there are still some holdovers who like the name enough to give it to their son. They probably think that the spelling being changed makes it more masculine. For a female, its either "Marian", "Marianne", "Maryann" or "Maryanne".

The youngest person and the only one that was born in more recent times who has the name and is a male is a Brazilian profession football (soccer) player who is 28.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

I just realized that "Bruce" and "Roosevelt" are both pronounced with "roo" in them. LITERALLY ANOTHER KANGAROO PUN THAT COMPLETELY FLEW OVER MY HEAD FOR YEARS

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You aren't the only one. I was actually in the same boat. Then again a LOT of things end up flying over my head. At least you caught it.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I was just skimming some older comics and only just realized that Uncle Reuben is a member of the Sandwich family. I think that qualifies as me not paying attention for 10 years.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is how Rufus is Peanut and Grape's pet cousin. Reuben and Earl are brothers. Rufus isn't blood related but it looked like Reuben treated him just like Earl treats Peanut and Grape.

Also, the names have something to do with sandwiches. Earl was named after John Montagu, the 4th Earl of Sandwich who held various military and political offices and claimed that he invented the sandwich. Reuben is named after the sandwich that contains corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing and is grilled.

Jill was named after a dumb joke in Resident Evil which I don't get at all. But she does sort of look a bit like Jill Valentine originally.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Bad line plus bad delivery means you got a meme on your hands. Capcom has since embraced it. Several easter eggs in future Resident Evil games make reference to it. Even the first entry of the Dead Rising series had a restaurant in the food court called Jill's Sandwiches.

Scene in question.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Ah yeah that makes sense. I didn't know the gist of it except that it was from Resident Evil. A series I somehow ended up getting into a roleplay in despite the fact that I had NEVER played any games and that wasn't what I asked originally. Then again the person I was doing the roleplay with did go all over the place.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

This might be an odd one, but I just noticed for the first time that when King becomes Joel, the comic tags change, then change back when he's King again.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

LOL Well of course they are going to change because when he is a human he's Joel and when he's a corgi he is King. :3
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

The alt text in "Record Contract" is a comment from one of the cubs saying that they were born "well after the DS era". The Nintendo DS had it's height in sales around 2008-2009 and the cubs were first introduced in October 2009. So, the cubs must have been born somewhere between 2008 and 2009.

Is there any other evidence of their age that we know of?

PS: Alt-texts are always 100% percent correct and state nothing but the truth about the in-universe canon. Don't you dare give me excuses like "alt-text is usually just minor funny comments" or that "they aren't necessarily true" or "stop reading into it so much you pinhead"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is your opinion but unless it is stated IN dialogue I don't believe it. :lol:
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

MasterAbsinthe wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:43 am Image
Can someone please help me understand what the punchline is? This was discussed earlier in this thread but they didn't say exactly WHAT King thought Boris wanted from him. Apparently it's a cold war reference?
Given his criminal past, maybe it's a reference to probation papers for being out on parole.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:20 pm
Given his criminal past, maybe it's a reference to probation papers for being out on parole.
I assume that he was asked "Your papers, please", which would imply ID papers. It's an old movie trope, especially for WWII movies or those set in old Communist Russia.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

"Mouth-Frothing Adorability" ... that Duchess sure can spin a phrase!
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Another thing I noticed when seeing this strip agaib is that King building the snow dog with Rook at the end of "Be Mine" might be a callback to the "Show Business" arc seeing as both arcs deal with King's loyalty to Bailey being tested.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is a very stunning observation! I just thought that it meant that King liked building snowdogs. Honestly a detail like that would go very much over my head.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Jack seems to become "Five Finger Discount" in the last panel
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

It's an Openerness miracle !
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Noticed this when it came out, but King's ring was on the wrong paw for a panel.

CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

No wonder Bailey looks surprised.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It shouldn't be that surprising as if king was in a rush when he took it off he put it on the wrong finger and Bailey probably didn't bother to tell him. Bailey would REALLY be surprised if the ring changed fingers mid-sentence. LOL
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Deevee is the only wolf who isn't featured in "Here Come Da Bride" (check the tags)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think he might be somewhere else in the church but not on the panel at the moment.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

The tiger that appears in the strip "Secret Santa" is specifically tagged as "not that tiger", which is a direct reference to the only other tiger that has ever been featured in the comic: Shardul
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

MasterAbsinthe wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:47 am the only other tiger that has ever been featured in the comic
Unless you count Res.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The only tiger other than Shardul to actually have been born a tiger. Lets put it that way because then that makes it accurate. :lol:

Also, I thought that tiger had a name somewhere if only it was an unofficial name the forum gave him?
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

CunningFox wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:19 pm
MasterAbsinthe wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:47 am the only other tiger that has ever been featured in the comic
Unless you count Res.
A werewolf isn't a wolf, and a weretiger isn't a tiger!

In "Idylls of the King", while assisting Bailey's birth, Elaine comment's that "everyone's just having three lately", which implies that at least two of the most recent births in the wolf pack have been litters of three, which must be Snow's litter and Lucretia's. This confirms that Rodney and Snow have exactly three cubs and that Miles' cubs are from the same litter (non-indentical triplets)
Last edited by MasterAbsinthe on Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.