Things you finally noticed on rereading

Discuss the comic here
dr_eirik

Re: Things you finally noticed on rereading

Post by dr_eirik »

Gael wrote:I feel like I'm missing something here....
I think the idea is that I'm a raccoonish eye doctor. Which I am. Without the raccoon part. Darm it.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was just joking around with him but now its ran its course. I will stop it before the topic gets even more derailed.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... cks-twice/

I'm embarrassed to say I never realized that the dog here was Tiger. Minor thing, but just makes me think poor dog.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You would think because of that Tiger would make sure to watch his weight so in the future he DOESN'T meet up with Cerberus again after he drops dead from a massive coronary (or accidentally eating human chocolate...)
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

That's an understandable mistake. Maybe it's just the lighting, but he does look unusually pale ;) :lol:
I hope Rick does more of these "large panel" one-offs in the future. Everything looks better in hi-res.
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

dr_eirik wrote:http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... cks-twice/

I'm embarrassed to say I never realized that the dog here was Tiger. Minor thing, but just makes me think poor dog.
You did better than me. I failed to notice what animal was there. I didn't look at that spot though.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

I didn't realize the meta-funny about Marion mentioning Winnipeg a while ago, which is that I live in Winnipeg half a block away from Marion street.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oooh. So if that is the case, you can go and meet him in real life. XD
errassw

Post by errassw »

bailey appearing in christmas 2008, ~3 years before the arc where king goes to kansas with fox
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We knew she existed. We just didn't think that she would be important down the line. =D
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Both Maxwell and Gale have injured (bitten? ) ears.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We can assume how Gale got her ear bitten which might have been in the confrontation with the Wolf Pack she had in the forest after learning that after Miles said not to bring in anymore animals, he knocked Lucretia up.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote:Both Maxwell and Gale have injured (bitten? ) ears.
Maybe it's a feline fashion statement.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Maybe, they’re two of my favorite characters, so if it is, I approve.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm not sure that it is because I imagine unlike ear-piercing it would be painful because of the shape we know its not and that it was a big bite.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

This isn't specific, but I was looking back at a couple of arcs and realized that there seems to be an eye problem amoung ferals There is a disproportionate number of them that need glasses Miles, Gale and (if you count her) Lois. The only other animal I can think of that has glasses is Fido, and I don't think those are for prescription.

The optometrist closest to Babylon Gardens must have a really odd clientele.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Marvin wore reading glasses once or twice. But other than that Steward is the only other I can think of with glasses.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think it is a majority of the ferals with eye problems but it just seems that way and even if they did, you think they would know what an optometrist is? I didn't know until I was 14 because we always called them the "eye doctors".

But hey, maybe Dr. Raccoon will be able to set up a practice for ferals that have eye issues.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I don't think it is a majority of the ferals with eye problems but it just seems that way and even if they did, you think they would know what an optometrist is? I didn't know until I was 14 because we always called them the "eye doctors".

But hey, maybe Dr. Raccoon will be able to set up a practice for ferals that have eye issues.
Bringing this up has kind of triggered a story idea that I'm noddling on, though not an animal eye doc since that would barely make sense in the HP setting (Even if things are in the future, no enough time has passed for that to happen). If I can get it to go anywhere, I'll post it.

Going though the ECP seems to be the equalizer for this. I haven't seen a feral wearing glasses in the strip that didn't have that connection, and even Miles doesn't start wearing them until after he moves to BG. So I suspect that it would be adjacent to some kind of entry medical visit ("Cover one eye and tell me the animals you see on the wall." "Bear, Eagle, Uhh.. Elk?")
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I actually thought that Miles wore glasses because they made him look more scholarly.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I actually thought that Miles wore glasses because they made him look more scholarly.
I don't think it's been mentioned in the strip, but that's certainly possible. There are humans who do that. Glasses are sometimes fashion items.
Foxfan2164

Post by Foxfan2164 »

So I noticed when Fox got saved by Grape in the Housepets babies! chapter, Fox was very greatful for Grape saving him. Then later in the K9PD arc, when Mungo mentions how Fido got in trouble for his interspecies relationship, Fox blushes. Is this a hidden arc?

or am I wrong?
My Characters (Links and all)
Just your average Fox, Max and Marion fan.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Foxfan2164 wrote:So I noticed when Fox got saved by Grape in the Housepets babies! chapter, Fox was very greatful for Grape saving him. Then later in the K9PD arc, when Mungo mentions how Fido got in trouble for his interspecies relationship, Fox blushes. Is this a hidden arc?

or am I wrong?
I don't think so. I think he was just very embarresed about the whole Fido/Sabrina thing and was still having a very hard time dealing with it. He says as much to Sabrina later in the arc that he was never good with dealing with his feelings and he didn't want to feel the way he did about Fido and Sabrina. Mungo bringing it up just was more than he could handle.

I doubt that he and Grape ever had any kind of relationship beyond friendship.
Foxfan2164

Post by Foxfan2164 »

Foxfan2164 Wrote:
So I noticed when Fox got saved by Grape in the Housepets babies! chapter, Fox was very greatful for Grape saving him. Then later in the K9PD arc, when Mungo mentions how Fido got in trouble for his interspecies relationship, Fox blushes. Is this a hidden arc?

or am I wrong?

I don't think so. I think he was just very embarresed about the whole Fido/Sabrina thing and was still having a very hard time dealing with it. He says as much to Sabrina later in the arc that he was never good with dealing with his feelings and he didn't want to feel the way he did about Fido and Sabrina. Mungo bringing it up just was more than he could handle.

I doubt that he and Grape ever had any kind of relationship beyond friendship.
True, but you honestly never know.
My Characters (Links and all)
Just your average Fox, Max and Marion fan.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

I noticed King and Bailey knew about Fido & Sabrina almost a year before anyone else did except for Grape & Peanut.

dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

An interesting question there is, first, did Bailey see (Likely) and did King fully understand the implications of what he saw? King was still new-ish at being a dog (even if he was about to propose to Bailey in that arc) but while he might have found it odd, would he have understood the risk the two of them were taking socially?
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

I highly doubt King would have understood, but I think Bailey would have. Although, being from Kansas maybe she just assumed that sort of thing might be normal in Babylon Gardens? Both of them did nervously look at eachother when Fox found out though.

dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I don't think they were looking at each other, I think they were both looking at Fox.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

errassw wrote:Image

bailey appearing in christmas 2008, ~3 years before the arc where king goes to kansas with fox
This Christmas arc sets up several key character themes which run over a number of years (some Rick apparently let languish).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Unfortunately Rick is not gonna be able to use all the character themes that he has set up in past strips or else he wouldn't be able to move the comic along.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Kari's rant in https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... y-lifting/ is a direct quote of Willy Wonka's in the movie Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.... well, slightly different, but close enough.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I haven't watched that movie in YEARS and somehow I still managed to get it when I saw Kari going off on Dallas. LOL
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

Not really important at all, but I just noticed that Sten's collar is too big for him and that is so gosh darn adorable-

You know Rick's good at making characters when even the most minor of them like Griswold, Sten, and Devo can still be endearing.
Attachments
sten crossfire.png
sten crossfire.png (214.23 KiB) Viewed 18363 times
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I haven't even noticed that when the comic was first uploaded to the website and just glanced over it. Nice find!
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

I've pronounced it "Beano" in my head all this time! And it's the second time I'm reading it! I have gone too far to go back on it...
Also, Sasha had a slight change of appearances in 2012:

Long hair on her head, pink bracelets, pink earring, and a heart-shaped spot on her hip.
Last edited by D-Rock on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod Edit: Please use the Edit button on the top right corner of your post if you wish to immediately add more.
I specialize in wolf head avatars.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would like to think of that as her both getting older as well as just changing her style but then I realize that a heart-shaped spot wouldn't just appear.

As I said, ignore me. I'm only good for welcoming people.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Sometimes Rick's style changes come with relatively drastic character redesigns. One thing he was testing was a new way of lining in that second image of Sasha. It didn't see much use after Rick returned from a health flare-up. I think it was only used in two strips, that one included.

I still somewhat recall when he was releasing character sheets for the update. He's been doing more to individualize everyone this whole time.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know that there is no reason inverse for the heart-shaped mark to appear on Sasha, but it would be really awesome if Rick did make something up other than that's the way he draws Sasha now. :lol:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I know that there is no reason inverse for the heart-shaped mark to appear on Sasha, but it would be really awesome if Rick did make something up other than that's the way he draws Sasha now. :lol:
I have wondered about the in-universe explanation for the heart on her hip. It's not like things like that can't happen, I have a dog that, when he was younger, had a small heart on his chest (It's vanished as he's turned grey). I suppose the most likely thing is that she draws it on herself. All it would take is a Sharpie in the right color, after all.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Have there ever been marks that suddenly appear on dogs as they get OLDER?