Things you finally noticed on rereading

Discuss the comic here
Champion Wallace

Re: Things you finally noticed on rereading

Post by Champion Wallace »

Yes. The breed best know for its marks, Dalmatians, are born all white. The spots come in as they get older (though relatively quickly).
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If that is the case for one species of dog then it can be the case for Sasha also.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Sasha has always had that mark, but due to limitations in transferring the images to our universe we just weren't able to see it until the late 2012 upgrade :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey, that explanation works for me. xD
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

This has probably been pointed out before, but Bailey appears in the very first Christmas strip. Before King, even.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Love that call back :D Always been one of my favorites
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

Also, multiple times in the Macbeth Imaginate, Grape (Lady Macbeth) brings up Max’s (Macbeth’s) manhood, including calling his screams girlish when he sees Peanut’s (Banquo’s) ghost. This ties into the actual play’s themes of masculinity. Rick’s done his homework.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Of course he has. I doubt that Rick would even make an arc based on a story if he didn't make sure to get it as accurate as possible.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

I never understood how Herman Steward was able to transform Lois into a bobcat, but then I noticed something...

There's a bird in the sky, which must be trinket who's working with Steward! Must've dropped the coin on Lois's head and flown off with it again.
I specialize in wolf head avatars.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

MasterAbsinthe wrote:I never understood how Herman Steward was able to transform Lois into a bobcat, but then I noticed something...

There's a bird in the sky, which must be trinket who's working with Steward! Must've dropped the coin on Lois's head and flown off with it again.

The idea that it was Trinket came up pretty early in the discussion about this comic. Like a lot of things from that arc, it's never been stated. Also doesn't explain Marion.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

dr_eirik wrote:
MasterAbsinthe wrote:I never understood how Herman Steward was able to transform Lois into a bobcat, but then I noticed something...

The idea that it was Trinket came up pretty early in the discussion about this comic. Like a lot of things from that arc, it's never been stated. Also doesn't explain Marion.
Would if he had any windows or vents open, though that's speculation.
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:

Would if he had any windows or vents open, though that's speculation.
It was late in the school year. It would probably have been nice enough to sleep with the window open.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was going with the idea that Steward got in and touched the coin to Marion's arm while he was sleeping to change him.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I was going with the idea that Steward got in and touched the coin to Marion's arm while he was sleeping to change him.
There's really no situation where a badger can sneak into a house while a bird can't. It would always be more effective to use a bird. Steward probably asked Trinket to find the first house with open windows and curse the sleeping people inside. In one neighborhood there MUST be at least one house with an open window.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is why I sleep with the fan on and not with my windows open. :P
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

Tiger plays The Grinch in the Christmas pageant, Which is probably a reference to the time he improvised a song about killing The Grinch in his sleep.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

MasterAbsinthe wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I was going with the idea that Steward got in and touched the coin to Marion's arm while he was sleeping to change him.
There's really no situation where a badger can sneak into a house while a bird can't. It would always be more effective to use a bird. Steward probably asked Trinket to find the first house with open windows and curse the sleeping people inside. In one neighborhood there MUST be at least one house with an open window.
A badger could cut through or remove a screen without tools which would stymie all but the largest birds.

I also just glanced back at the original arc and Marions window appears in several strips and it always looks closed. I think it's the one mystery from that entire arc that I hope gets answered someday. Was Marion a random victim? Targeted? The world may never know....
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

dr_eirik wrote:I also just glanced back at the original arc and Marions window appears in several strips and it always looks closed. I think it's the one mystery from that entire arc that I hope gets answered someday. Was Marion a random victim? Targeted? The world may never know....
I mean, Steward clearly isn't a mastermind. If he really wanted to turn people into animals as secretly as possible, then he wouldn't be showing off and playing with his coin at all times ESPECIALLY right in front of Marion! Which is why he was busted! With that in mind, he probably just got trinket to enter any random house with an open window, which just so happened to be Marion's. I't doesn't need to be a window in his room, even. It certainly doesn't sound like a mystery to me!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

MasterAbsinthe wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:I also just glanced back at the original arc and Marions window appears in several strips and it always looks closed. I think it's the one mystery from that entire arc that I hope gets answered someday. Was Marion a random victim? Targeted? The world may never know....
I mean, Steward clearly isn't a mastermind. If he really wanted to turn people into animals as secretly as possible, then he wouldn't be showing off and playing with his coin at all times ESPECIALLY right in front of Marion! Which is why he was busted! With that in mind, he probably just got trinket to enter any random house with an open window, which just so happened to be Marion's. I't doesn't need to be a window in his room, even. It certainly doesn't sound like a mystery to me!

I know that we're likely to get more answers down the road, but this is really high on my list of questions I'd like to see answered someday. It might be as simple as there was an open window and either Steward or Trinket came in to change him. But that doesn't seem to work out in my head.

I think we'll find out there is either an unknown connection or a third party involved.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... er-figure/
In this comic, Kitsune is existing in multiple places at once. Either that, or he's teleporting.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You know that it is easy for him to do that because he is omnipotent and can bend reality to do whatever he needs it to. LOL
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Zach's color switched from light pink to light violet, then again to gray around Real Stories of the K9PD, but in Wabbit Season his color is something close to his original light pink shade. It then goes back to gray in his next appearance.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That might be a case of Rick trying to see which style works the best for Zach and not him purposely going back and forth with the color. I don't think we were meant to notice it. It obviously worked because I never noticed it. :lol:
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Sir Chestnut wrote:Zach's color switched from light pink to light violet, then again to gray around Real Stories of the K9PD, but in Wabbit Season his color is something close to his original light pink shade. It then goes back to gray in his next appearance.
And despite this, he has always been reffered to as a "gray rabbit" by the characters

In "Jungle Fever", Jata flexes so hard that he not only explodes his shirt, he also explodes his jacket that he had already taken off and left behind at the altar

I was wracking by brain because I just couldn't understand what it was, but then I realized Rick was doing some high-level irony.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Rick just wanted to show that Jata was gonna be tough and that aura was so powerful it destroyed his jacket as well as he would have beat the tar out of Fido had the Wolf Pack not stepped in and Deadeye dislocated his arm.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Rick just wanted to show that Jata was gonna be tough and that aura was so powerful it destroyed his jacket as well as he would have beat the tar out of Fido had the Wolf Pack not stepped in and Deadeye dislocated his arm.
Carp, now I want a hunk aura
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If you want that, then you have to start doing push-ups, sit-ups and drinking plenty of juice.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Marion's surname is "Ward".

(big font because this is groundbreaking information)
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

MasterAbsinthe wrote:Image

Marion's surname is "Ward".

That's been known since his second comic.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Because of his last name when it was revealed for the first time, a lot of people thought that he was somehow related to Steward because his last name has "ward" in it.
Champion Wallace

MasterAbsinthe wrote:Marion's surname is "Ward".
I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but it's not very groundbreaking if other people picked up on it at the time. Besides, it doesn't tell us much other than he's not related to anyone with a known last name (except Julia). Again, I know how good it feels to discover something you missed and wanting to share that, hence why this topic exists.

Continuing this thread's topic, I finally noticed the title of Or Belong To PETA was a continuation of the line in the last panel ("I don't think I've ever seen a fat guy run so fast" or belong to PETA). I guess I missed it because I hadn't heard the stereotype that all PETA members are skinny before reading Housepets!.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Champion Wallace wrote:
MasterAbsinthe wrote:Marion's surname is "Ward".
I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but it's not very groundbreaking if other people picked up on it at the time. Besides, it doesn't tell us much other than he's not related to anyone with a known last name (except Julia). Again, I know how good it feels to discover something you missed and wanting to share that, hence why this topic exists.
I'm sorry to rain on your parade, but I was being ironic.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Hm. This is more intended for actual epiphanies.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Crazy_Simone

Post by Crazy_Simone »

i know some of you have already posted this, but without pictures.
The name "Pete" was given by "Peanut"(for I don't know if that's the real Peanut"). The original name of the griffin appears in 2010-07-09-and-nothing-but Image
His name on the ref-sheet was spelled in some accent symbols and changed to Pete just like they changed the map from "Babylon" to "Babylon Garden".
Latter in 2017-09-11-dunununununununun, when they face the puzzle and supposed to spell the griffin's name on the floor. There was a path to spell that name correctly and also a path to spell "PETE"(if you don't need to step on close by bricks)
Two pages later, Grape realized Pete was not the answer, though it was too late for Peanut. Actually, none of them, many even King himself, knows the griffin's original name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would think King would know it because he saw it but probably not know how to pronounce it.

When Pete appeared in the dream to Peanut and Grape, he also told them his name but Peanut said it was too hard so he christened him "Pete". Even if they were woken up there is nothing to indicate that they forget anything they learned from their "dream".
Champion Wallace

In her dream Grape met someone who looked like Peanut, but the question is was that the real Peanut or part of the dream like the trees and the rocks. Whether Peanut doesn't remember the grove because he forgot or he wasn't there, he had no recollection of the events and was skeptical when Grape told him.
As you say "there is nothing to indicate that they forget anything they learned from their 'dream'.", that would indicate it wasn't the real Peanut that named Pete "Pete".
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

It was Grape’s dream, so she likely told Peanut about, especially after finding the feather.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If Peanut didn't believe Grape when she told him, he would when he found the feather. Also because Grape told him about what Pete's real name was (and dream!Peanut renaming Pete), it proves that she remembered the dream even though she was told to wake up.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Grape never learned Pete's real name. In the dream, Pete was about to say it, but was interrupted by Dream!Peanut about why he preferred "Pete." In my mind, this was the demi-god's roundabout way of saying "just call me Pete, everyone else does." Or perhaps us seeing every other deity call him that is really just language convenience for the readers. Perhaps they all come up with something because they know mortal languages can't replicate their true names? But that's getting in Wild Mass Guessing territory.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Well at least now we know the first 5 runes of Pete's real name! Not that we can pronounce them or anything...