Things you finally noticed on rereading

Discuss the comic here
Amazee Dayzee

Re: Things you finally noticed on rereading

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I still think it would be too weird but to each their own.

Also, where was it stated that Terrence had an accent that was canonical in the comic?
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I choose to refer to that as referring back to the happier memories that Keene had which was as a child rather than anything else like heaven just being insane.

I'm pretty sure when my mother passes on, which will hopefully be when I am competent to live by myself, when she meets my grandfather, she'll become a 12-year old girl, based on the massive picture she has of her and him in the parlor.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I still think it would be too weird but to each their own.

Also, where was it stated that Terrence had an accent that was canonical in the comic?
All the King’s Men, part 1
Near the end, one of the paragraphs reads: “This is bogus,” said one who didn’t get a turn, an English Spaniel with a proper accent, “Come on, let’s see what video games they have.”. Terrance is the only English Spaniel we've seen on the force and his collar charm is the Union Jack, further implying he's British.
The cape comes with the promotion.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I'm not sure if I didn't notice this, but I think my brain has been chewing on it for a while.

Kix says her owner bought the farm, then clarifies "fur farm". She is also looking significantly at Kitsune at the time.

Did Kitsune... do something... to her old owner?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I doubt Kitsune would have gotten involved and had anything happen to her old owner so it could just be a coincidence. After all, the reason why Kitsune turned Pete and Dragon into Craig and Draig is to punish them for interfering with mortal lives so I doubt he would do the same thing.
MiGFulcrum

Post by MiGFulcrum »

The darker subtext in some of the cheerful/happy-go-lucky dialogues is one of the main reasons why I started reading Housepets after stumbling into it at the random, I think that when I'll be done reading all of what already exists, I'll re-read it within a couple months, to see if some things "appear" that I didn't notice earlier.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Reading everything and re-reading everything again might end up taking a long time, like over a year. Unless you are saying that you are a fast reader or skipping over the filler comics, then you might be able to get it done in a little under a year. :lol:
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... things-up/

So then where did Bino get catnip when he pranked King?

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... eeky-joke/

And there's somebody falling out of the sky in the last panel.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... jacked-up/
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/2008/08/01/

So was Bino the one who had the overdose?
Last edited by LunarFox on Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Champion Wallace

LunarFox wrote:https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... eeky-joke/

And there's somebody falling out of the sky in the last panel.
The "somebody" falling out of the sky is Professor Killbody himself. That is the entire (Incredibly Geeky) joke of the strip. He goes back in time, but Spot (Superdog) was right. His location three seconds after the last panel is up in the air relative to the planet at the time of the last panel.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm surprised the fall didn't kill PeabodyKillbody (ironic name, LOL) since the Spot comics tend to be darker and feature a lot of people dying. But he does show up again so I;m assuming after YEARS of painful rehab, he is (relatively) back to normal. :mrgreen:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Something I only realized just now, Pete is not actually the gryphons name. I was skimming though the Temple Crashers arc when they were on the puzzle and Peanut starts to spell out Pete. After he's rescued by Mungo, they cheat on the puzzle.

For the first time I went back to look at Petes introduction and realize that Pete starts to remind Peanut that isn't his name, but Peanut cuts him off and tells him that he can't pronounce it. Interesting that he adopts it from then on.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I also loved the little detail that when we get a glimpse of Pete's character sheet (here), it has a name in unknowable writting and then "(Pete)" scrawled in underneath just to show that he really did adopt the name :D
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Obbl wrote:I also loved the little detail that when we get a glimpse of Pete's character sheet (here), it has a name in unknowable writting and then "(Pete)" scrawled in underneath just to show that he really did adopt the name :D
The link isn't working
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

I wonder if Kitsune and Dragon have actual names or if they're just known by their species.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

dr_eirik wrote:
Obbl wrote:I also loved the little detail that when we get a glimpse of Pete's character sheet (here), it has a name in unknowable writting and then "(Pete)" scrawled in underneath just to show that he really did adopt the name :D
The link isn't working
Ha :lol: appears I copied the URL from the wrong tab. Should work now :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am tempted to try to find his original name and put it into a text-to-speech translator and see what I get. XD
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I am tempted to try to find his original name and put it into a text-to-speech translator and see what I get. XD
If reading transformation fiction online for years has told me one thing, it's that you're likely to suddenly be in the presence of one annoyed demi-god.

I say go for it!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'll have to find his real name and figure out how to put the characters in the text-to-speech translator myself.

Also, since Pete is currently kit'd, I doubt I would have to worry about a gryphon making an appearance. :D
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I guess in the current arc people are saying now that Marion hasn't actually changed genders at all and it's just a running gag that everyone keeps mistaking him for a female. Taking that approach the story line still works and it does add some extra humor.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We would just need someone like another squirrel to point it out. I think the other squirrel that knocked him out of the tree might be able to help as I'm not sure he would have done it if he thought Marion was in a female squirrel's body.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

When we first meet Thomas, he's wearing a camel coat. Coincidence, or was Rick planning that far ahead?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So trench-coats are called camel coats because I always assumed it was just a trench-coat. The more you know.

Also, I wonder how much older Celia is than Thomas as Celia has wrinkles and Thomas looks like mid-40ish. My grandmother was in her late-50s when she got her wrinkles so it might just depend.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

CunningFox wrote:When we first meet Thomas, he's wearing a camel coat. Coincidence, or was Rick planning that far ahead?
Hard to say, he does seem to plan pretty far ahead. Remember that Tarot told Sabrina that she would almost drown three years down the road. It was a throw away line that could easily have been forgotten, except that she does almost drown three years later.

Something I only noticed the other day. When the ferrets are first introduced at the reading of the will, they are all in a box with "for sale" written on the side, crossed off, and then it say "free". I'm guessing Thomas and/or Ceilia was trying to get rid of them thinking they were just property to dispose of and not the intended heirs.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Either that or they just wanted to get rid of them before the will reading by any means necessary except murder to get their hands on Henry's millions.
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... and-dolls/
In this comic, the dice Big Nate are holding have no spots, exactly like the ones Big Julie uses in the musical.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Even though this was back in 2016, I wonder if this might be the actual cursed coin behind Marion's transformation and Trinket might even be hinting at it.

If the coin was stolen from Karishad during the Flip this Den arc he would have had to have gotten it during Temple Crashers 1. It may be circumstantial, but during Twilight Zone Twist, Karishad was reading a cook book and the last time we saw that same joke was during All That Glitters when they were in the money pit talking to Pete. Then in the very next strip there is a shadow of what appears to be Cory when Marion asks about transforming species.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

The crazy old man who only speaks in limericks was actually mentioned in the second comic strip with Pete, long before his first appearance
Last edited by furrygamer793 on Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rp characters
Champion Wallace

After Cory swindle's Zach out of his collar, Trinket is painting his white stripe black to complete his black cat disguise. More importantly however, when we see him out and in public later, even when he has a collar, his trademark skunk stripe is still visible.
dr_eirik wrote:
CunningFox wrote:When we first meet Thomas, he's wearing a camel coat. Coincidence, or was Rick planning that far ahead?
Hard to say, he does seem to plan pretty far ahead. Remember that Tarot told Sabrina that she would almost drown three years down the road. It was a throw away line that could easily have been forgotten, except that she does almost drown three years later.
"Could" is the operative word in "could easily have been forgotten". I can't link all the times someone theorized "maybe this is where Sabrina almost drowns", so I will leave you with this:
rickgriffin wrote:
Sleet wrote:The suspense here is kinda killed by the fact that Tarot talked about her nearly drowning. :P
That's ONLY because you guys completely ruin any sense of discovery by never forgetting anything
(link)
dr_eirik wrote:Something I only noticed the other day. When the ferrets are first introduced at the reading of the will, they are all in a box with "for sale" written on the side, crossed off, and then it say "free". I'm guessing Thomas and/or Ceilia was trying to get rid of them thinking they were just property to dispose of and not the intended heirs.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Either that or they just wanted to get rid of them before the will reading by any means necessary except murder to get their hands on Henry's millions.
I don't think either of you are wrong (though it could've been the estate attorney that boxed them), but I feel the shot of the ferrets in a box with the price reduced to free was primarily a reference to Oliver & Company.
furrygamer793 wrote:The crazy old man who only speaks in limericks was actually mentioned in the second comic strip of Housepets, long before his first appearance
Um... no.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I meant the second one with Pete, I just forgot to type in that part
Rp characters
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I bet Rick wanted people just to think that he was a throwaway character and then he would introduce him when we were all lulled into a sense of security. He is right, the forum DOES completely ruin any sense of discovery by never forgetting anything. XD
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Champion Wallace wrote:
"Could" is the operative word in "could easily have been forgotten". I can't link all the times someone theorized "maybe this is where Sabrina almost drowns", so I will leave you with this:
rickgriffin wrote:
Sleet wrote:The suspense here is kinda killed by the fact that Tarot talked about her nearly drowning. :P
That's ONLY because you guys completely ruin any sense of discovery by never forgetting anything
Makes me wonder if he planned the long, drawn out establishment of Marions characters (who has no apparent ties to any of the previous HP comics as of this writing) in order to mess around a bit with the forums.

Mind you, not a complaint. Just sometimes wants me to have a "Choose Your Own Adventure" Housepets comic at times. Or to enter a coma and come out when I can read them all the way though. :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

God I hope he doesn't do that. I'll still read the comic but I'll be rolling my eyes at every contrivance that he throws out there to keep Marion from Lois, Fox and Fido.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Not so much a question, but I feel like there is a joke or reference I'm not getting here.

Wall Chicken

Fox attacked a wall and chicken fell out?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Earliest reference I know of is Castlevania. Certain walls can be destroyed by attacking them, often dropping food as a healing item. Many interpret it as "wall chicken," and has become a staple in the series.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Champion Wallace

We do have individual threads for every comic (after Butt Of This Joke). If you have a question I find it's useful to check them first as there is a good chance someone has already asked the question or made an observation that tells you what you want to know. If not, then that thread is the perfect place to post a question, even if the last comment is years old. In this case, D-Rock already wrote a very succinct explanation for why the strip was titled "Wall Chicken", though there are other theories presented in that thread. For example, someone suggested it was a reference to 'Dust: An Elysian Tail'.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I imagine the Dust entry was a reference to Castlevania, anyway, considering the time difference and the popularity of Castlevania, which Dust seems to take notes on with the "Metroidvania" style of gameplay made popular with Symphony of the Night.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If that is where the evidence is pointing to, then it must be a theory that is correct.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

In two instances where Max breaks down and cries water is prominent.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well I would assume so since when someone does cry and its genuine, you always get tears for showing your emotions at least in humans. I'm not sure about animals but since in the HP! world, animals are basically almost like young children I would say that this also applies to them.