Character Frequency Infographic

Discuss the comic here
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Character Frequency Infographic

Post by GeckoZY »

Hello guys! I kinda made a character frequency chart of pretty much most of the Housepets character. I'm hoping to add more details and stuff to it in the future. ^^
The colored bars represent calendar years, from 2008 till 2015. This one shows everyone who appears more than 18 times (the image is a bit too long XD).
Well, I hope you guys like it.

EDIT:
Note: These kinda counts the guest comics too. Different Versions of Characters are kinda separate (like puppy Peanut, imagine king or a better example, Joel)
Here's an alternate infographic colored based on an HP year (June to May) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/453 ... y2-hpy.png
And the same one for the earlier and later half.
Last edited by GeckoZY on Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Douglas Collier

Re: Character Frequency Infographic

Post by Douglas Collier »

Wow, great job! :)
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Peanut and Grape own the show!
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looks very nicely done! Though is there a key to the colors so we know which year is which?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Looks very nicely done! Though is there a key to the colors so we know which year is which?
It'd just be in order, right? 2008-2015

Thank you, Gecko, for uploading the mod's "Weapon Against Silly People Complaining About the Lack of 'Original Characters'" or WASPCALOC for short :lol:
I really like infographics. Probably too much for my own good. :D I can't even get this message posted cause I'm so busy looking at it :lol:
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Great job, Gecko! :D
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Nice, someone thought of this. :) Very good work, Gecko! :D Now could be done a graph from it, with the top 20 characters.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Bino gets more screen time than the main antagonist? huh. bet he's proud of that.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Buster wrote:Bino gets more screen time than the main antagonist? huh. bet he's proud of that.
But don't you see? Bino is the main antagonist, we just don't know that yet. Remember, Miles called him a "god trapped in a mortal shell", so that obviously means that Bino well eventually resume his role as a demi god and become the true main antagonist.
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Obbl wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Looks very nicely done! Though is there a key to the colors so we know which year is which?
It'd just be in order, right? 2008-2015

Thank you, Gecko, for uploading the mod's "Weapon Against Silly People Complaining About the Lack of 'Original Characters'" or WASPCALOC for short :lol:
I really like infographics. Probably too much for my own good. :D I can't even get this message posted cause I'm so busy looking at it :lol:
I kinda have a breakdown of earlier half and later half at the links below, it kinda shows something more. >;P

Oh, and made a GIF. It shows character frequency for each month. Forgot to label, but color corresponds to housepets year (June-May)
El Psy Congroo
Douglas Collier

Nice! Hey, do you have a version with all the characters ever tagged (including throw-away characters)? =3
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

Douglas Collier wrote:Nice! Hey, do you have a version with all the characters ever tagged (including throw-away characters)? =3
It's kinda crazy long, but yes. Although... it has non-character tags too like 'Infinite Canvas', 'Christmas' and 'who cares'.
(You can watch Grape and Peanut fight for the top spot up there :D)
El Psy Congroo
Douglas Collier

Wow... How long did it take to make that? :shock:
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

Well, it took me 3 hours to program, 2 hours to collect data and another hour to build basic infographic thing. XD
El Psy Congroo
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

GeckoZY wrote:
Obbl wrote:I really like infographics. Probably too much for my own good. :D I can't even get this message posted cause I'm so busy looking at it :lol:
I kinda have a breakdown of earlier half and later half at the links below, it kinda shows something more. >;P
I noticed :P That's why I finished my post about 15 minutes after starting it :lol:
GeckoZY wrote:Well, it took me 3 hours to program, 2 hours to collect data and another hour to build basic infographic thing. XD
It's nice when you can get the computer to do most of the work ;)
SnuggleKing

Post by SnuggleKing »

#Bino2015
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Xane wrote:
Obbl wrote:Thank you, Gecko, for uploading the mod's "Weapon Against Silly People Complaining About the Lack of 'Original Characters'" or WASPCALOC for short :lol:
...not entirely, seeing as how Grape's numbers have declined with every year and it looks like King matched or outdid her in 2012 and 2014 (2014 gets a partial pass though since it was the wrap-up for the Cosmic game).
Grape's (and Peanut's) numbers decline in proportion to the rising focus given to all members of the cast, which is bound to happen in a comic with the sheer number of characters Housepets! has. ;)
And it continues to make my point that King only barely surpasses Grape in 1 year, and his "second half" statistics only manage to equal Peanut's and Grape's. Those two are still right at the top. King's arcs were individually long, but more or about equal amounts of the comic was still always devoted to the shenanigans of Peanut and Grape alone even given his focus in the "overarching plot".

And now the plot line is over, so we can get back to even more shenanigans. :D
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Obbl wrote:
Xane wrote:
Obbl wrote:Thank you, Gecko, for uploading the mod's "Weapon Against Silly People Complaining About the Lack of 'Original Characters'" or WASPCALOC for short :lol:
...not entirely, seeing as how Grape's numbers have declined with every year and it looks like King matched or outdid her in 2012 and 2014 (2014 gets a partial pass though since it was the wrap-up for the Cosmic game).
Grape's (and Peanut's) numbers decline in proportion to the rising focus given to all members of the cast, which is bound to happen in a comic with the sheer number of characters Housepets! has. ;)
And it continues to make my point that King only barely surpasses Grape in 1 year, and his "second half" statistics only manage to equal Peanut's and Grape's. Those two are still right at the top. King's arcs were individually long, but more or about equal amounts of the comic was still always devoted to the shenanigans of Peanut and Grape alone even given his focus in the "overarching plot".

And now the plot line is over, so we can get back to even more shenanigans. :D
I never really even assumed that King appeared more than the original two, just that he got all this focus and extreme arcs. I never had a problem with "overarching plot"s, it's just that it was all focused on King. I really think that Peanut and Grape could have some amazing super-natural "overarching plot"s if given a chance.
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

Here's another chart with frequency of certain characters to appear together in a comic strip. XD
My program kept crashing because of memory overload. In the end of it all (after adjusting memory allocation and stuff), it spit out a 1.25 MB plain-text file.^^'

And here it is colored and graphed. (as before, each bar corresponds to a housepets year; names are arranged such that in 'chara x charb', chara is before charb alphabetically)

Edit: For folks who want something more visual than that one above, here are two graphs with those relationships:
Legend:
Red - >40 connections
Green - 25-40 connections
Blue - 15-25 connections
Cyan - 10-15 connections
Brown - 5-10 connections
Purple - 2-5 connections

Inner core: (>15 connections)

Main Group: (>10 connections)

Edit: Here's an extra large one for those who want to see more of it.
Almost All: (>5 connections)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/453 ... raphXL.png

Y U Acking So Cray-cray: (>2 Connections)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/453 ... aphXXL.png
El Psy Congroo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That came out really nice! I love how much work you put into it!
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

Thanks! I'm planning on consolidating them all into one bigger image some other time. ^^
El Psy Congroo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Geez that sounds like its gonna be complicated and one very large image!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Wow, you're awesome! The amount of effort fans put into this comic... :P But I love data. That's really cool!

Also: It miffs me a little how King was the most-used character of 2014. Peanut and Grape are supposed to be the main characters! *huffs* (Granted, I know, King has been moved away from the spotlight now, so it's all good.)
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wanna see the people that haven't been used a lot used more.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think that's reasonable, however I do think a comic like Housepets! needs to nonetheless keep to a hierarchy of character prominence. It's fine if more minor characters get an occasional place in the spotlight, but there still needs to be a cast of recognizable "major" characters.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

Sleet wrote:Wow, you're awesome! The amount of effort fans put into this comic... :P But I love data. That's really cool!

Also: It miffs me a little how King was the most-used character of 2014. Peanut and Grape are supposed to be the main characters! *huffs* (Granted, I know, King has been moved away from the spotlight now, so it's all good.)
Thanks. ^^ If you guys have any suggestions on what kinda of data can I add to these, do tell. ^^

I think there should be more Fox or police K9 centered arc. :D They're kinda seen all around, but they;re never the focus of an arc lately. XD
El Psy Congroo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wanna see a Kevin arc where Sevin break up and Sasha gets with Fox and Kevin gets with ME!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I feel like you've said this before... and probably in the "future arcs" thread even :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You think that it could possibly mean something? ;)
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I'm going to make sure that this doesn't go unnoticed for a while.
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

I've been keeping track as well, we have a list on the wikia
(As of March 16th 2015)

Peanut - 308
Grape - 305
King/Joel - 185
Maxwell - 123
Fox - 110
Tarot - 109
Sabrina - 106
Bino - 101
Fido - 95
Bailey - 78
Zach - 77
Keene - 74
Pete - 62
Spot (Superdog) - 56
Sasha - 53
Miles - 50
Spo - 45
Tiger - 44
Karishad - 43
Marvin - 43
Joey - 41
Rock - 41
Ralph - 39
Kevin - 37
Daryl - 29
Earl Sandwich - 27
Rex - 27
Spirit Dragon - 25
Cerberus - 24
"Four Finger Discount" Jack - 22
Jessica - 21
Jill Sandwich - 21
Duchess - 20
"Other" Daryl - 20
Great Kitsune - 19
Lucretia - 19
Lana - 14
Mr. Bigglesworth (various) - 14
Squeak - 14
Bill Lindberg - 13
Duke - 13
Res - 12
Jerry Arbelt - 11
Poncho - 11
Itsuki - 10
Bruce & Roosevelt - 9
Jeeves - 9
Pit - 9
Uncle Deadeye - 9
Cousin Rodney - 8
Natalie - 8
Keys - 7
Fiddler - 6
Simon - 7
Elaine - 5
Jeff - 5
Lucretia's mother - 4
Ryan - 4
Snow - 4
Delusional Steve - 2
Jake - 1
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Kevin needs to be seen more. xP
Douglas Collier

Don't forget about Jasper, Jinx, and the crazy old man who only speaks in limericks, among quite a few others.
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

I have the list of every single one tagged so far. XD Though it's a bit messy with really minor characters and the occasional non character tag.

Anyways, here's that list. But it's kinda last updated on March 13, I think. Doubt that would be much different though.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/45302791/List.html

And here's a similar list, but with the seen together pairings instead. (1.25 MB) XD
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/453 ... t-rel.html
El Psy Congroo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You certainly have a lot of time on your hands! I envy your dedication to this project! xD
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

GeckoZY wrote:I have the list of every single one tagged so far. XD Though it's a bit messy with really minor characters and the occasional non character tag.

Anyways, here's that list. But it's kinda last updated on March 13, I think. Doubt that would be much different though.

And here's a similar list, but with the seen together pairings instead. (1.25 MB) XD
The other day I was just thinking "I wish the site allowed us to search for two tags that share comics", and now you have this! Thankyou, you are awesome!
Was it hard?
GeckoZY

Post by GeckoZY »

SuperStar wrote:
GeckoZY wrote:I have the list of every single one tagged so far. XD Though it's a bit messy with really minor characters and the occasional non character tag.

The other day I was just thinking "I wish the site allowed us to search for two tags that share comics", and now you have this! Thankyou, you are awesome!
Was it hard?
Nah, not really, but my first code was kinda buggy initially, so most of the difficulty was on that.
El Psy Congroo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really envy your dedication to this project. I wish I could be dedicated to something! Whenever I feel like I make a mistake on something, I tend to just quit what I'm doing.
Civilization

Post by Civilization »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I really envy your dedication to this project. I wish I could be dedicated to something! Whenever I feel like I make a mistake on something, I tend to just quit what I'm doing.
At least you start, I am never brave enough to even start. Hey GeckoZY, are you planning on making anymore Info-graphs, they are are so great!
Currently traveling across the United States. Still up for any conversations though.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah that is a good point. At least I have a leg over you!