Gratuitous Praise for Rick Griffin!

Discuss the comic here
Amazee Dayzee

Re: Gratuitous Praise for Rick Griffin!

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You can only ever get better the more you keep on doing something.
OctoDoggo

Post by OctoDoggo »

You’ve done a stellar job with the comic so far, and I hope for more to come! Don’t stress yourself, and know that you’re great!
Image Image Image
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hey, just how many people are losing sleep waiting for the next installment oughtta tell you something positive! ;)
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

each panel is a surprise
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:Hey, just how many people are losing sleep waiting for the next installment oughtta tell you something positive! ;)
It has become my habit to wait up until the comic drops, which thankfully is only 10pm local time for me. And it's well worth the wait.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

For me it is 1 AM local time but if I do fall asleep I catch it in the morning when I get up so it really isn't a big deal.

Though if for some reason I am up around that time, I just can't help myself... :mrgreen:
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

I wait everyday for a new panel
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You shouldn't really do that since the comic only updates Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (which coincidentally was my mother's work schedule for her night shift when I was younger).
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

A new strip drops at one in the morning where I live, so thank you for creating something that I love to lose sleep over, Rick!
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

where I live the comic updates about 8am
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I really am a bit jealous for the people that live in areas that the comic updates a little later in the night before bed so I don't have to stay up if I'm interested in the next strip. LOL
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I had my doubts that Rick would be able to pull off a satisfying ending to the My Life As a Teenage Squirrel arc in just one strip, but he pulled out all the stops and was able to make even this skeptic go “daww”.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Douglas Collier wrote:I had my doubts that Rick would be able to pull off a satisfying ending to the My Life As a Teenage Squirrel arc in just one strip, but he pulled out all the stops and was able to make even this skeptic go “daww”.
I agree. Rick did an awesome job wrapping up this arc! Also, everything about this comic is amazing! From the comics, to the plot, to the storytelling.. I love it!
Also, Marion X Lois is now my favorite ship. EVER.
Anyhoo, now that the Marion arc is over, I hope we'll get to see Peanut again. It's been too long since we've seen that good boy!
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

We'll probably end up seeing him even if he doesn't lead the next arc sooner than we actually think. :)
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Comic's pretty 11/10 there Chief

Keep it up
B.E.A.R. PMC
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

characters getting more detailed fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm pretty sure that is exactly what Rick always strives for. Trying to add a bit more details to push the comic over the edge! That is one thing we all admire him for! :D
Pumkin6

Post by Pumkin6 »

I think it really speaks to the quality of the comic that so many of the side characters have such devoted fanbases. It’s not just one or two of them. Almost every character, no matter the amount of time they spend on-screen, gets fans almost immediately.
On second thought, maybe that says more about the fans than the comic...
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It is really nice especially since Marvin who was a straight man to Tiger who wasn't originally a side-character has so many fans and people wanting to see more of him (myself included). :)
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Not to mention, almost all of them serve some kind of purpose.

Heck, I bet What Chicken is gonna some major villain at some point, and he's literally just a joke character that has appeared like 3 or 4 times over the course of the entire comic. And to be able to track these characters, give them a deeper purpose, and write, draw, and color them in within a maximum time period of 3 days is honestly baffling to me. I have no idea how Rick does it.
B.E.A.R. PMC
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just goes to show you how well-thought out Rick thinks up the arcs that he can do it so fast.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So about time overdue to say how much I enjoyed the "Jurassic Park Imaginate"! I loved how the story f!owed close to the actual narrative of the movie but with constant jokes, surprises, and warped twists. It was a particular delight to see "The Pups and Pueblo" come into their own (sorry, first time I wrote "Pueblo and the pups" I didn't like placing the puma cub first but it did sound like a passing acceptable name for a boy band). I've always enjoyed the "Imaginate" format and seeing some of your second and third banana characters take center stage.

Similarly, while I've found the coin crisis narrative interesting, the sudden, jarring introduction of Eudoant, Kitsune, Cerberus, and Bahamet has electrified the whole drama. This ... is ... gonna ... be ... GOOD!

Warm regards and all that........
Were Jack

Post by Were Jack »

I just recently (few months ago) reread the whole Housepets! and I am still amazed with how great it is.
Also I love all the outside the Housepets! stuff Rick is making. Like character poses etc. Just the style is great and it's always so nice to see new content.
Also the story behind the Housepets! is so great. I can't imagine making everything so... fitting? I mean, consistent. Plot makes sense when You see what have happened in the past and happens now. No retcons, so something was explained and now it's different, because it didn't fit the current ideas.

It's hard to not like the characters. They are just so well written and You can feel bad for them sometimes. And sometimes You want somebody to get the karma back!

Also I recently realized... Tarot had become Peanut's girlfriend and when King arc has been going on, they went to some cosmic dimension, where Kitsune, Dragon and Pete were discussing rules (because Pete forced King to become dog etc). And they asked Dragon why he is still around Peanut and she answered that her avatar (Tarot) is still attached to him. What is funny here, I mean hilarious, is that Pete and Kitsune laughed when she said that, because she is in love with a lower being, and she denied in anger. But she actually fell in love in Peanut as we've seen it in another arc. Rick, You are a genius. It may be subtle, but when I realized that I was excited about that little fact. It's really cool!

You are doing great job, Rick!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Even I thought it was quite ironic that Tarot who didn't care about Peanut was forced to get with him by Dragon who did care for him but then Tarot fell in love with him for real.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Y
Last edited by Harry Johnathan on Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... and you got Book 11 to press! Major league congradz!! :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It really does take a lot of talent and determination to be able to get 11 books printed and released physically so you are an inspiration to us all! Hope you keep on writing the comic until you have to leave for heaven!
valerio

Post by valerio »

And once again the enemy bites the dust and HOUSEPETS! wins the Ursa Major Awards for Best Comic Strip!

The awesome SciFi Anthology "Tales of Hayven Celestia" wins a honorable 3d place.

The A&H Club ends up 4th, but hey, our favorite gals measured against a purebred like "Beastars".

Kudos again, Rick, for all the emotions and the wholesome!^^
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is definitely how you can tell that someone is a great comic creator that they win awards and Rick is one of the best! Hope that he will always keep it up!
Harry Johnathan

valerio wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 10:57 pm And once again the enemy bites the dust and HOUSEPETS! wins the Ursa Major Awards for Best Comic Strip!

The awesome SciFi Anthology "Tales of Hayven Celestia" wins a honorable 3d place.

The A&H Club ends up 4th, but hey, our favorite gals measured against a purebred like "Beastars".

Kudos again, Rick, for all the emotions and the wholesome!^^
Horray! The Holy Trinity of Rick Griffin pieces! 🤩

Beastars, the only comic I'm okay with a work of Rick's losing to. (And before any weebs get on my case, manga ARE I don't care what anyone tells me!

Also, hello Val! :oops: :D
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm just going to be looking forward to whatever Rick plans to put up next to surprise us and to win once again!
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Congrats to Rick and the entire Housepets! team for the 11th Ursa Major Award! Not everyone can keep their audience so engaged for so long, cheers to that! (Also the story and characters are great, but we knew that already)

ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It also goes to show how talented he is that he already has almost a dozen of these awards also!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Well done Rick! I can attest that his Hayven Celestia books are well worth a read.
Disproportionately Dappled
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Congratulations, Rick! Well deserved.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

he makes the characters so cuddly I would cuddle each and every housepet on this comic
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He definitely knows how to tell a good story and he is in touch with his readers!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Rick, this may not be the place or time to write a message like this but the forum is all I have. (I don't do twitter/facebook/TikTok - Doctor's orders (Dr. Mrs. NHWestoN).)

I am deeply grieved about Apollo. His pictures on twitter show him a handsome, thoughtful creature, a beautiful, enchanting animal with a poet's soul. I know his absence will leave a space in your heart which, while it will heal, will never entirely disappear. My own Sophie, eighteen years at least, is now in her twilight and despite her joy and resilience, the slowness, the hesitancies, the little whimpers and sighs foretell her departure. But, for a dwindling time we have her until her true Master's voice calls her home. I will never again go to the beach without thinking of her delight in its wonders. So, at my age, I will try to go more often.

Thank you for sharing your gifts with us. I give thanks for all that Apollo brought you in your lives together, and pray foryour comfort and renewal. As Housepets whispers and reminds us, we are more humane and more human because we share this world with animals. How lucky you were to have Apollo - and he you. Peace and comfort, chum.

Warmest
Weston
Harry Johnathan

R.I.P Apollo. I may have lost a lot of respect for Rick this past year... and I still have some lingering resentment. But I also lost my puppy this year. I know how it feels and it's awful. Grief is... difficult. In my case I felt at first hopeful that it was all just a joke, then I was ambivalent, then I broke down, I was angry... it sucks. I'm sorry for your loss.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Sorry for your loss, Rick.