Pete's Surrender/Dragon's Defeat

Discuss the comic here
Draj

Pete's Surrender/Dragon's Defeat

Post by Draj »

So, it's been 10 months since King was given a 1 year limit to his doggyness, and it's gone completely from his head.

Now, the current arc is unlikely to have this pop up as a complication, but I figure I might as well revive the speculation.

Pete, of course, is counting on King/Joel's discontent to power him up as a Dark Paladin, to defeat Tarot and win the duel. In my mind, this implies revealing King to everyone (or at least making King think so) and letting him experienc their disapproval, while King is still a dog.

With that much unhappyness, the Dark Paladin is intended to defeat Tarot (I forget her class right now) quickly. Whether he does or not, however, is for Rick to decide.

My question is, what about after? Whichever Cosmic Nerd loses, will be spending a lifetime in a mortal body. Pete will probably try to cheat his way out with suicide, unless someone steps in- and wouldnt it be a twist if king saves Pete's life? On the other hand, if Dragon;s avatar is defeated, she will live a mortals's life... and has a crush on a certian lower order being.

One way or the other, Tarot or Keene will be thrown off by the conclusion of the duel- Without the Spirit Dragon, Tarot will be less powerful, and without Pete's mana, Keene's plans for animal equality may be thrown off. (Then again, we havnt heard from that mana since Keene handed it to a Respectable Scientist(c) type human)

My feel for the story leans toward Pete losing, either by King's defeat by Tarot or by King being unwilling to accept Pete's mantle, (with lots of pathos about Joel from Fox and Baily) and Pete joining the crew at Babalon Gardens. this has the least affect on the other parties- Tarot keeps her powers and Keene goes on as best he can without magic. However, the alternative has potential for a storyline twist, altering the Cosmic nerds (and possibly pete's personality) for the better. King accepting the Dark Paladin mantle and turning on peat or simply not fighting is a third option, but it shouldnt prevent Pete from surrrendering/losing.

King becoming Joel again at this point seems unlikely- at most, a temporary change before Dragon changes him back to corgi, assuming taking his Fate into his own paws doesnt let him stay King in the first place.

There's a lot of plot threads that Rick has been weaving together to this upcoming moment... I've probably missed a few. What other things may be affected by the end of Pete and Dragon's milenia-long feud? What do you think will happen to Pete or dragon if they lose? And what about the winner? Will the Great Kitsune, Cerberus, or Bahamut take a hand in events, and will they visit the Mortal Nerd afterward?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Pete's Surrender/Dragon's Defeat

Post by Sleet »

I'm not sure a lot of that will be expanded on greatly. That arc has kind of been dialed back.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Draj

Post by Draj »

Sleet wrote:I'm not sure a lot of that will be expanded on greatly. That arc has kind of been dialed back.
I'm not sure what you mean. Of course it's not being talked about in comic at the moment- there's other things going on. But are you saying that plot points are somehow retconned away to make the plot simpler?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well anyhoo, the arc after this current Tiger one will probably be a King one, cause all the "End of Year" comics have (seemingly coincidentally) been focused on King/Joel/Pete.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Not retconned, but that's no longer going to be focused on as much as before.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Draj

Post by Draj »

I'm not quite sure how you can "not focus on" what is, for better or worse, one of the major plot threads of this comic, except perhaps in the ostrich way. If there isnt some kind of resolution before the next Christmas arc, Pete's "you have 1 year" is invalidated.

But if Rick doesnt feel like diving back into the war between the cosmic nerds, I see two approaches that could work, depending if he wants to remove most of their infuence or not.
1) Fait accompli, and Pete lied about King's transformation.
(beginning of arc, King answers the door, Tarot informs him Pete surrendered, and to grab his fate- they need to talk. Que resolution of all the CN related plot arcs that dont continue on their own momentum)

2) King Accepts the mantle of Dark Paladin, but isnt discontent enough to fight Tarot. King gets superpowers from being a Dark Paladin (like Tarot gets psychic powers from being a psychic class), and Babalon Gardens continues normally. Almost certiantly some angst drama at the beginning of the arc, as Pete attemts to power king up to win the duel, but once king is past that point it is almost certantly a better choice, IMO.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

As stated here, Rick is wrapping up this plot and then creating a new "jumping-on point" which anyone with no previous understanding of the comic's story could jump into and be fine. Then a few months later he posted this on twitter:
Rick Griffin wrote:Okay I've resolved the very last thing I was stuck on for the cosmic arc of Housepets. It was actually pretty simple . . . you'll see
So, I think Sleet's meaning is that though there are a lot of possible sub-plots and story threads that could be expanded on from the Cosmic Nerds plot, most of them probably won't happen or won't get much attention, because Rick's intention is to wrap it up and move on to something new.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Interesting prospect, Obbl, it would have been great that Rick made a Housepets! spin-off: Cosmic Critters!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Gren

Post by Gren »

Yeah I think the ending of the cosmic game thing will be much simpler than we could have ever thought. That's why I decided to stop hurting my brain with intrincate theories of possible outcomes when there's no way we can predict it. All I can say about the matter is that there's going to be a happy ending for everyone as Pete predicted.
ImageImage
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

All questions have been answered, i'm turning off the lights.