Remember I said I would do a family tree for The Wolves

Discuss the comic here
Dissension

Re: Remember I said I would do a family tree for The Wolves

Post by Dissension »

Champion Wallace wrote:Previously, people have mentioned that Jack and Poncho are brothers and that Jack has an alleged coyote cousin, but I don't remember either being stated in the comic. Could someone please refresh me as to where those are.
They're not.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Nothing has been explicitly said about Jack and Poncho being related, though honestly I thought that, too. I was just wondering if that was the case or he's a sort of tag-along. Also, Darryl has a coyote cousin, not Jack.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I finally found where the coyote cousin was referenced.
I guess the coyote would also be Miles and Other Daryl's cousin because that's how the title cousin works (though it's hard to tell how to interpret this because taken literally it disregards genetics. On the other hand this is Housepets! with sapient animals and intersperses dating. Maybe they are actually his cousin-in-law).
The cape comes with the promotion.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Actually, wolves hate coyotes. They'll chase and try to kill them whenever they meet. There's a theory - I don't know now accepted - that the spread of coyotes eastward is due partly to the revival of wolf populations in the west....

But, as we know from reading Housepets, " love is a wonderful thing!". So why not a coyote cousin?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

We directly saw Natalie with romantic crushes on domestic dogs, and Miles seems pretty okay with it as well, so in this universe, a wolf and coyote getting together doesn't seem unlikely. It can actually happen in our reality, but seems that it's a result of a changing environment.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

NHWestoN wrote:Actually, wolves hate coyotes. They'll chase and try to kill them whenever they meet. There's a theory - I don't know now accepted - that the spread of coyotes eastward is due partly to the revival of wolf populations in the west....

But, as we know from reading Housepets, " love is a wonderful thing!". So why not a coyote cousin?
In several regions wolves will crossbreed with coyotes, presumable due to low population groups. They're called coywolves.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I got the "wolves hate coyotes" line from a Yellowstone ranger long ago. Coyotes interbreed with domestic dogs, as well. Love's a wonderful thing, eh? (I know ... I said that ... Always worth repeating.)