2021/10/22 - Memento Mortalis

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

2021/10/22 - Memento Mortalis

Post by Obbl »

[ Memento Mortalis ]

Title Text: "I technically have more experience being mortal that you do--okay wow that sounds even worse"

What an adorable butt :D
Harry Johnathan

Re: 2021/10/22 - Memento Mortalis

Post by Harry Johnathan »

How dare you spout such a vulgar and indecent word as "butt".
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Honestly, I think it's a really cool development for Kitsune to finally have a moral conscience. Maybe he won't be so Cocky and Mischievous after this ordeal, or just less than how he usually is.
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

Kitsune relearning that to accomplish real things you have to take responsibility for your actions. And that’s hard when you don’t know how your decisions will turn out…
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Gentle words from a gentle soul
put Kitsune back in his place.
Say what you want about our Kix,
she handles him with sublime grace
What Kits wouldn’t be curious
about what parents do in bed?
Perhaps they should lock the room up
and make them watch TV instead?
It’s not so bad being mortal,
people have done it forever.
She’s trying to say the way to go
involves doing it together.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Hmmm....I wonder if this arc will end with Kitsune fully becoming a mortal for good?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Harry Johnathan

This arc might just end with everyone dying.

Hey, then Rick won't have to wrap up any character's stories.... ;)
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Immortal_Requiem

Post by Immortal_Requiem »

Oh wow I didn't vibe at all with this page, it sounds worse the more I look at it.

In my eyes, we see kitsune being open about how he feels, and how he tells is having trouble because he cannot do what normaly he could with all his powers. Yet, every mortal in the story seems to expect kitsune to just solve everything like he just *snap* and voila, everything is solved.
Didn't like the sarcasm in 'How do we mortals manage', it feels so much out of place after he told us about how he feels. Then ofcourse we see kitsune caught ofguard by those words and wants to make sure he is being understood, explaining that he does in fact have way more mortal years of experience that the whole mortal housepets cast convined by far. Just to hear Kix resting importance to all of that by looking at it as 'well, is not so much compared to all your life' ?
... What is the word ...insensitive? Kix looked out of place. Is like ... 'hey, you don't know how being a teenager is, you have 80 years, you have been an adult for way more than being a teenager'.

Guys, do you get what I'm saying?

I still hope for kitsune to learn from the situation and become a better god for the housepets universe, which might just be enough not being soo layback. And would absolutely hate it what some of you suggest of him becoming mortal again. He needs to learn .. let him do so! Give him support, maybe another celestial companion to help him do what he must better. Turning him mortal is the opposite of what he needs! it will only make so that he is losing responsibility!
Hey, maybe next page Kix just tells him that he might just need a refreshment because It might have been too long ago, and she might offer help to him. The most unveliable might be something like instead turning Kix into a celestial and together fight the devils (very quick thought, I did not have looked much into that posibility yet. Unsure how good it would be right now)

Hope my point got to most of you, because I think this is a situation in which we can learn a valuable lesson and apply concepts in our real life.
Also, love the comic, rickgriffin you are doing a very good job in my opinion. Certainly I'm quite invested in the story.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, Kitsune, you said that. We didn't. But, you'll notice, no one's contradicting you.
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

You're aghast that Kix is talking harshy to Kitsune? It wasn't that long ago that Kix beat the crap out Kitsune for forgetting about her kits. Kitsune can take it. Kitsune himself said that there's an extreme power imbalance in their relationship and he lets Kix take out her anger or frustration towards him whenever he screws up. Kix is just pointing out that Kitsune is once again making a mistake and he needs to get his butt in gear. Hopefully Kix won't have to hit him with the mace again.
Harry Johnathan

Kitsune taking advice from Kix and letting her beat sense into him is actually cool of him if you think about it.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

It's interesting to know more about Great Kitsune's past, it's impressive how much times he lived as a mortal, he seems to decide to do that by himself... :roll: Great Kitsune knows more than you what he can do against demons, Kix, and he knows to be limited against them. :| Mortals have troubles, but also demigods have some. ;) So yeah, he lives much more time as a demigod, but I wouldn't call that a state of total ecstasy, it has its negative sides, too. :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So Kix and Kitsune can't see Breel and Keene running for their lives from a deranged demon that wants to gut them like a fish but if Keene were to throw a really heavy object at him would he realize something is up and break the illusion?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:44 pm So Kix and Kitsune can't see Breel and Keene running for their lives from a deranged demon that wants to gut them like a fish but if Keene were to throw a really heavy object at him would he realize something is up and break the illusion?
They can see Keene and Breel fine - the humor arises from GK and Kix's lack of urgency (Which comes from either confident control or blade indifference) in contrast to Keene and Breel's terror and desperation!! :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If that is the case, why don't Keene and Breel just scream it at the two of them that they are being hunted?
ProtoDot

Post by ProtoDot »

Nobody is expecting him to just magically solve it, just to do something whole everyone else is also hard at work.
"BEHOLD! The power of an ANGEL!" - Gabriel, moments before getting beaten up by a GoPro
Cosmacelf

Post by Cosmacelf »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:58 pm
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:44 pm So Kix and Kitsune can't see Breel and Keene running for their lives from a deranged demon that wants to gut them like a fish but if Keene were to throw a really heavy object at him would he realize something is up and break the illusion?
They can see Keene and Breel fine - the humor arises from GK and Kix's lack of urgency (Which comes from either confident control or blade indifference) in contrast to Keene and Breel's terror and desperation!! :)
I don’t think they can see Breel and Keene. That was the whole point of the previous comic strip where Kix and Kitsune were talking about how demons can make really good illusions.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yes, none of the foxes can see Keene, Breel, and Negabreel
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Oh, well .... :oops:
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

She called it...he's nothing but a nine tailed butt.

"He said the B word!!!!"- Cindy Brady, A Very Brady Sequel
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure he would rather be a butt than SMELL like one. :lol:
Harry Johnathan

What has this page turned into.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You not a big fan of what is being done here? :lol:
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

Use a baseball metaphor, Kix, it worked on DS9.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If that doesn't work out too well then I'm sure that there are other nerdy and obscure metaphors that Kix can use to help Kitsune get a clue.
andwhyisit

Post by andwhyisit »

Immortal_Requiem wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:39 amIs like ... 'hey, you don't know how being a teenager is, you have 80 years, you have been an adult for way more than being a teenager'.
It's more like a prince pretending to be a commoner. Actual commoners can't go back to the castle when things get difficult.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hopefully when things get difficult Kitsune will have to deal with them himself rather than just washing his hands of things and letting other people handle it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:48 am Hopefully when things get difficult Kitsune will have to deal with them himself rather than just washing his hands of things and letting other people handle it.
Given that Bahamut seemed to be staring grimly down Kitsune's neck, I'd like to think this time he's going be held responsible by a higher, stronger Power. Yup, I'd like to think that. Sure do.
PhycoKrusk

Post by PhycoKrusk »

ProtoDot wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:29 pm Nobody is expecting him to just magically solve it, just to do something whole everyone else is also hard at work.
Agreed. It's been explained pretty clearly that he can't just magically fix everything; that's not the issue. The issue is that he's not doing anything. Maybe the kits getting left behind when everyone else went to Heaven scared him into inaction, but I don't care. One of the bigger lessons that's been given continuously is that when you have a problem, you can't just sit around waiting for some divine being to fix it for you; you have to take the steps to fix it yourself. Here, Kitsune is doing exactly that; there is a problem, and he's just sitting around waiting for someone else to fix it for him. Someone else that he knows is probably way out of their depth and not properly equipped to handle the situation effectively. He's not doing anything.

It's challenging to feel sympathy for someone experiencing a crisis of faith (of a sort) when that crisis is overshadowed by the hypocrisy of their actions.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hopefully after all of this is over Kitsune will have a massive humbling and start to take his job looking over the world more seriously.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

But what else should he be doing? Since he literally cannot see anything the demons are doing, I'm not entirely sure what people want him to do in the situation. Plus, people also wanted him to take responsibility for the missing kits problem, and he couldn't have exactly been in two places at once.
I just wonder if people aren't expecting something that is literally outside of his capabilities at this moment (ie literally anything until he actually knows where the demons are)
PhycoKrusk

Post by PhycoKrusk »

Obbl wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:15 pm But what else should he be doing? Since he literally cannot see anything the demons are doing, I'm not entirely sure what people want him to do in the situation.
Sit by the phone? I don't remember (and since I have surgery starting in a few hours, don't have the time to check), but was there an explanation given at any point that a cell phone or radio wouldn't work? Maybe that wouldn't count as knowing where demons be, but you have to admit, it sure would be handy if Tarot could call him to say, "A demon had grown to Kaiju size, and has trapped all of us in an automobile while it goes around transforming everyone left in the city. How should we proceed?" Heck, if she knows a Shin Hadouken spell, long range telepathy doesn't seem like that far of a stretch.

Again, the issue isn't that he's not doing anything about the problem (although that doesn't help), is that need not doing anything. Even if he can't do anything directly, this is still his circus.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

We don’t even know if the other team has any long-range communication on them.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Immortal_Requiem

Post by Immortal_Requiem »

Obbl wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:15 pm But what else should he be doing? Since he literally cannot see anything the demons are doing, I'm not entirely sure what people want him to do in the situation. Plus, people also wanted him to take responsibility for the missing kits problem, and he couldn't have exactly been in two places at once.
I just wonder if people aren't expecting something that is literally outside of his capabilities at this moment (ie literally anything until he actually knows where the demons are)
That a good explanation of what I mean kitsune can't solve this even though so many (or everybody) expects him to.
Funny thing? He is already doing the propper thing of telling the information he has about demons. Until they come up with an idea that could work they are in not much of a position to do much else. And for those desperate that think of "Don't think, act!" well ... first that isn't a very smart thing to do, but also they are back to earth trying to come up with something when they still don't have a clue.

So ... what exactly are you expecting kitsune to do? what would you do in this situation?
PhycoKrusk

Post by PhycoKrusk »

Immortal_Requiem wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:49 am So ... what exactly are you expecting kitsune to do? what would you do in this situation?
Sit by a phone.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

PhycoKrusk wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:54 am
ProtoDot wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:29 pm Nobody is expecting him to just magically solve it, just to do something whole everyone else is also hard at work.
Agreed. It's been explained pretty clearly that he can't just magically fix everything; that's not the issue. The issue is that he's not doing anything. Maybe the kits getting left behind when everyone else went to Heaven scared him into inaction, but I don't care. One of the bigger lessons that's been given continuously is that when you have a problem, you can't just sit around waiting for some divine being to fix it for you; you have to take the steps to fix it yourself. Here, Kitsune is doing exactly that; there is a problem, and he's just sitting around waiting for someone else to fix it for him. Someone else that he knows is probably way out of their depth and not properly equipped to handle the situation effectively. He's not doing anything.

It's challenging to feel sympathy for someone experiencing a crisis of faith (of a sort) when that crisis is overshadowed by the hypocrisy of their actions.
Sounds more like a crisis of self-confidence... Maybe he should review some of his interactions with Tarot and Res when they had to deal with The Forgotten. Or has he forgotten? :?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

PhycoKrusk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:10 am
Immortal_Requiem wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 5:49 am So ... what exactly are you expecting kitsune to do? what would you do in this situation?
Sit by a phone.
SO do nothing in a different location? Tarot has a 'phone. She doesn't know if Kitsune has or, come to that, Jessica's number.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure that he does have a way to get in touch with Tarot if only to tease Tarot about her failing to play the hero again. I think this time though he and Tarot might have a reversal of fortunes.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

PhycoKrusk wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 7:10 am
Sit by a phone.
So, this is starting to sound like you've pre-decided to find something to criticize Kitsune for and are looking for any tiny mistake/flaw to fill that, which is kinda whatever, but also, there's not even a need for a phone. The plan was always: When you find a demon get away from them and when you're out of their zone of influence Kitsune will immediately know everything you know about where the demon is and what they're doing. The problem is, no one's managed to get away.
And I suppose the new flaw that could be held over Kitsune's head would be that there's no back-up plan and that Kitsune should still be sitting directly next to a phone (as if phone's don't ring) just in case, cause apprently Kitsune has to be doing something wrong currently (enough to be upset at him for) as opposed to just simply that he made a big mistake earlier and demon's got in and now he's doing whatever he can to fix it including getting over his anxieties over failure... No compassion at all?

and to be clear, it's totally 100% fine to be upset at him for accidently letting literal demons into the world and then trying to get things taken care of quietly at the beginning so as not to damage his rep, cause yeah, not great, but when you gotta go criticizing him over perfectly reasonable choices made in the moment, the lack of charity and willingness to recognize good faith efforts becomes a real bummer
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

To be fair to Kitsune he thought the plan was an easy one and would work out well and could wrap things up because if they spot the demons it will be because they are actively looking for it. I don't think Kitsune realized that the demons would know about the group coming down from Heaven and hunting them.