How to Navigate Thread Pages while the Forums are still Wonk

What are we doing!?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

How to Navigate Thread Pages while the Forums are still Wonk

Post by Obbl »

Thank you to Champion Wallace for researching the actual method

Look at the URL. After the ? you will see a list of "variables" in the form X=Y (e.g. f=16, t=5072), with each variable separated by an &.
The way pages are navigated is by using the variable "start" and some offset. For example "start=0" means that you want to start with the first post in the thread (computers always start at 0 for math purposes), "start=1" means you want the second post in the thread. Each page has 40 posts, so if you want the first post of page 2, you want "start=40". And if you want the first post of page 3, you want "start=80".

Thus to navigate through the pages, simply add an & to the end of the URL, then add the keyword start followed by = and the offset which can be calculated as (<page> - 1) * 40
Page 1: &start=0 (or nothing, because 0 is assumed)
Page 2: &start=40
Page 3: &start=80
Page 4: &start=120
Page 5: &start=160
etc.

If you want the last page, check how many pages there are and calculate, or you can overshoot (in which case the last page of posts will be shown)
Last Page: &start=4000 (as there is no thread with more than 100 pages)

Thank you for bearing with us while this gets sorted out :D
Amazee Dayzee

Re: How to Navigate Thread Pages while the Forums are still Wonk

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Of course and we can definitely understand how this is also a very difficult time for you in the administration team also. I hope that you can get everything up and running smoothly soon!
Neko

Post by Neko »

Dang, where was this post 24+ hrs ago when I needed it, heh. Just went through a 150 page thread reading over old stuff after I figured out how to change the URL on my own, testing and figuring out which number to change and by how much.

Hopefully this all gets fixed soon!
ImageImage Back after 7 years to GM once more.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Persevere, mates. We can do patience. What in Pawtucket did happen anyways??
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

<_< ...Don't blame us for the forum screw ups. We didn't have anything to do with it. It must have been something gave out on the forum. Everything has to be fixed manually to get it back unless we just move to a new forum. Who is to say the problem didn't happen north of Boston? ;)

XD
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Carrying over what Welsh Halfwit contributed, you can click the triangle in a circle icon to the right of the usernames in the last post column to jump to the last page. Additionally, you can click the red icon to the left of the topic title to jump to the first post you haven't seen (which may or may not be on the last page). Lastly, the URL trick works the same on forum sections, the only difference being there are 25 topics per section, not 40.
Neko wrote:Dang, where was this post 24+ hrs ago when I needed it, heh. Just went through a 150 page thread reading over old stuff after I figured out how to change the URL on my own, testing and figuring out which number to change and by how much.

Hopefully this all gets fixed soon!
Here in Ask A Moderator.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

No one's blaming you, Amazee, so calm down.
NHWestoN wrote:Persevere, mates. We can do patience. What in Pawtucket did happen anyways??
Long story short, we were moved to a new server which meant our old software that ran the forums didn't work. We updated the software and that meant the theme (the bit that makes the forums look the way they do) also stopped working. Unfortunately the person that created our theme no longer has anything to do with it and there wasn't an updated theme ready to go with the updated everything else. So our IT person has had to make the theme again from scratch.

Basically, it's like a chain of dominos. One knocked the rest down because we weren't ready and now we have to stand up all 10,000 again. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wasn't being upset when I said that or taking offense to his statement. I was joking when I posted that since that is the city I live in (for now). XD
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Hlaoroo wrote:No one's blaming you, Amazee, so calm down.
NHWestoN wrote:Persevere, mates. We can do patience. What in Pawtucket did happen anyways??
Long story short, we were moved to a new server which meant our old software that ran the forums didn't work. We updated the software and that meant the theme (the bit that makes the forums look the way they do) also stopped working. Unfortunately the person that created our theme no longer has anything to do with it and there wasn't an updated theme ready to go with the updated everything else. So our IT person has had to make the theme again from scratch.

Basically, it's like a chain of dominos. One knocked the rest down because we weren't ready and now we have to stand up all 10,000 again. :P
I find it ironic one of the things that did not carry over with the theme was the banner, instead reverting to the original banner. It's as if it's sending the message the forum is no longer in HD. :lol:
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It really stinks that it isn't but hopefully that can be rectified after everything is back up and running. :)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

Obbl wrote: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:10 pmLast Page: &start=4000 (as there is no thread with more than 100 pages)
actually, the welcome thread and probably a few of the RP threads have more than 100. probably safe with 40000 though
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

In my position when I need to get to get to the last post in a topic when I am on a different page I just overshoot it just to be safe that I do get there. 8-)