The Hardest Choice

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Saturn381

The Hardest Choice

Post by Saturn381 »

So while I'm working on my Always There fanfic, I decided to go ahead and start a story that's been in the back of my mind for awhile. Enjoy.

----

Chapter 1

Today was a pretty busy day for Fox. Not only did he had a big case to solve at the K-9 unit, but he also had to prepare a birthday party for one of the dogs at the Good Old Dogs Club as well as babysitting his friend Fido's daughter Marie while he and Sabrina were on a date. So he felt that a nice walk down the street of Babylon Gardens while reading one of his favorite books seem like a good way to relax. He was so caught up in the book that he didn't even pay attention to where he was going He continued reading until he bumped into someone and fell down to the ground.

“I'm sorry. I didn't see where I was going.” said Fox.

“Fox?” said a familiar voice.

Fox looked up and saw a familiar tabby cat standing right in front on him. One that he haven't seen in years.

“Allegra?” said Fox as he got up on his feet.

“Fox, oh my gosh it's so great to see you.” said Allegra as she gave him a hug.

“Same here. How have you been.” said Fox, hugging her back.

“Doing great. How about yourself?” said Allegra.

“Doing good. What are you doing her? I thought you and your mom moved to Philadelphia.” said Fox.

“We did but the job she got didn't work out so well, so we had to move back to Babylon.” said Allegra.

“Are you back in your old house?” said Fox.

“Nope. We had to find a new home.” said Allegra.

“Well where are you now?” said Fox.

“You know where Joey is at? Said Allegra.

“Yes.” said Fox.

“My house is right next to his.” said Allegra.

“That's cool. Are you still working at Heathcliff's?” said Fox.

“Actually I just went there today and asked them if I could have my job back. I have an interview with them in a couple of days.” said Allegra.

“That's great to hear.” said Fox.

“By the way, what have you been doing. You look a little more buff since the last time I saw you.” said Allegra.

“Well I joined the K-9 unit last year and became a police dog.” said Fox.

“Really? That's awesome!” said Allegra.

The two walked and talked before making it to Allegra's house.

"Well I gotta get going. Dad wants me to help him out on his motorcycle and I promised to be there by five.” said Fox.

"Okay. It was great seeing you again.” said Allegra.

“Same here.” said Fox as he started to walk away before Allegra called out to him.

“Hey Fox.” said Allegra.

“What is it.” said Fox as he turned around.

“I was wondering if I could come to your house tomorrow and hang out? You know just to catch up on things. If that's okay with you?” said Allegra.

“Sure, that be great.” said Fox.

“Alright. I'll see you tomorrow then. Goodbye.” said Allegra as she walked into her house and closed the door behind.

“Goodbye.” said Fox as he headed straight for home.
HellishK9

Re: The Hardest Choice

Post by HellishK9 »

Interesting chapter. If you dont mind some tips, I would put more synonyms for the word "said" so it doesn't repeat over and over.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Chapter 2

Allegra was in the bathroom drying off from her morning shower. She grabbed her collar, and left the room for some breakfast. She went downstairs and saw her mom Helen in the kitchen.

“Morning mom. What's for breakfast” said Allegra.

“Morning dear. We're having french toast. How'd you sleep?” said Helen.

“Pretty good.” replied Allegra as she sat down and started eating. “Where's Bruce?”

“He's still in bed sleeping.” answered Helen. “So, what do you have planned for today, honey.”

“Well do you remember someone named Fox? ” said Allegra.

“Oh how can I forgot him. He was that little dog that used to play with you right?” asked Helen.

“Yeah. I'm going to visit him in a few minutes.” said Allegra.

“Oh that's sweet. Maybe you should bring invite him over and we could show him those old poems you used to make about him.” teased Helen.

“Moooom. That was years ago.” grumbled Allegra as she started to blush.

“Oh you know I'm just teasing with you, sweetie. Besides, it's just you and I right now. No need to be embarrassed.” said Helen.

Allegra just shrugged as she finished her breakfast, got up, and headed out the door

“Well I'm heading out.” said Allegra.

“Okay dear. Make sure to be home by seven.” replied Helen.

“Alright. Love you.” said Allegra as she headed out the door and made her way to Fox's house. She walk for about ten minutes when she heard a voice from behind her.

“Excuse me!” shouted the voice. She turned around and saw that it was a ferret named Lana who was holding a bunch of envelopes. “ Hi, I'm Lana. Would you be interested in an invitation?”

“Sure.” said Allegra. “What's the occasion?”

“My brother Duke has a birthday in a couple of weeks, and he want us to throw a big party for him.” Lana replied as she handed her the.

“Thanks.” said Allegra. “Um, is it too much to ask for another invitation?”

“Of course not.” said Lana as she handed her another one. “May I ask who's it for?”

“It's... it's for a friend of mine.” said Allegra.

“Alright. Well take care?” said Lana.

“You too.” said Allegra as she putted the invitations in her collar and headed towards her destination.

----

The Lindberg Residence

Fox was looking around the house to make sure that everything was both clean as a whistle and in a certain place he wanted it to be. As he was looking through the living room, his cousin Bailey walked in to check on him as she and her husband King helped him out.

“Is everything all set?” asked Fox.

“Yes.” answered Bailey. “But Fox, don't you think you're getting a little too excited about this?”

“Maybe, but I haven't seen her in years.” said Fox. 'I don't want her to think I'm some slob.”

“Well if you keep this up, you're going to have a heart attack. I don't this girl of yours would even care if this house was a little bit messy.” chimed in King as he entered the room. “By the way, didn't you have to bring something to Peanut today?”

“What are you talking.... Oh right, I forgot. His books.” said Fox as he headed his way to the living room table and grabbed a stack a stack of books standing there. “Maybe I still got time.”

Just then, all three heard a knock at the door.

“I'll get it.” said Bailey as she headed over and opened the door.

“Hello.” greeted Allegra. “Is this the Lindberg residence?”

“Why yes it is.” said Bailey. “You must be that Allegra girl my cousin Fox's been talking about.”

“I guess. Is he here?” said Allegra.

“Yeah he's right here.” said Bailey. “Hey Fox, someone's here to see you.”

“Thanks Bailey.” thanked Fox as he grabbed his bomber jacket and walked towards the doorway.

“Hey Fox.” said Allegra.

“Hey Allegra.” said Fox. “Hey listen, can you wait for a couple of minutes.”

“What's wrong?” questioned Allegra.

“I borrowed some books from someone and I was supposed to bring them to him today.” said Fox.

“Well I can go with you.” suggested Allegra.

“You sure? I mean it'll just be quick.” asked Fox.

“Of course.” answered Allegra. “I've got a lot of free time on my hands.”

“Alright then. Well be right back.” said Fox.

“Be careful you two.” said Bailey.

“We will.” Fox responded as he and Allegra headed out the door.

----

The Sandwich Residence

“Here we are. Peanut's house.” said Fox as the two walk towards the door. Fox gave it a couple of knocks and it opened, revealing a purple cat named Grape holding a paper bag.

“Hey Grape.” said Fox.

“Hey Fox.” said Grape. “Who's your friend?”

“I'm Allegra. Nice to meet you.” greeted Allegra.

“You know you look familiar. Have we met?” asked Grape.

“Well I used to work at Heathcliff's.” answered Allegra.

“Okay now I remember, you were the waitress there. I knew I've seen you some where before.” said Grape.

“Oh by the way, I almost forgot. We came here to returned some of Peanut's books that I borrowed.” said Fox as he handed them to Grape.

“Thanks Fox.” said Grape. “He's been looking for these all day.”

Allegra took notice what was going on inside the house and saw a bunch of other pets wearing paper bags on their heads.

“What's with the paper bags?” asked Allegra.

“Oh, we're playing imaginate Into the Woods.” said Grape. “Care to join us?”

“Sure.” said Allegra.

“I don't know. “ said Fox. ” We were going to....”

“Come on, it'll be fun!” interrupted Allegra.

“Well.......Alright.” said Fox.

“Well come on in then.” said Grape as Fox and Allegra went inside.

----

A few hours later

“Hey thanks for letting us join guys.” said Allegra.

“No problem.” said Peanut. “Maybe you two can join us again next time.”

“Sure, that be great.” said Fox as he and Allegra headed out.

“Man that was fun.” said Allegra. “How come you didn't tell me about those games?”

“Well to be honest, I only went to them more recently, thanks to Bailey.” Fox responded.

“Speaking of which, who is Bailey.” asked Allegra. “I don't I've ever seen your cousin before.

“Well that's because she used to live far away from Babylon.” answered Fox. “Her family had to move to somewhere else and were forced to give her up, hence why she lives with us now.”

“And what about that corgi I saw in your living room. Who's he?” said Allegra.

“Oh that's her husband, King.” said Fox. “He and I had been friends for awhile now.”

“Oh okay.” said Allegra. “Well we better get going. It's getting late and I promised mom I would be back by seven.”

Fox nodded as they made their way to his house.

----

The Lindberg Residence

“Hey sorry this didn't turn out the way we planed.” Fox apologized.

“There's no need to be sorry.” Allegra responded. “I thought today was fun, and I got see some people I haven't seen I a long time.”

“Yeah I guess you're right.” said Fox

“Oh that reminds me.” said Allegra as she pulled out an invitation out of her collar. “There was a ferret who was handing out invites to her brother's birthday party. And I asked if I could have an extra just for you.”

“Aw, thanks Allegra.” said Fox as he took the invite from Allegra.

“You're welcome.” said Allegra.

“Well, I'll see you later.” said Fox as he headed towards his door.

“You two.” said Allegra as she headed for home.

Fox entered his house and saw King and Bailey in the living room watching TV.

“Hey guys, I'm back.” said Fox.

“Hey Fox.” said Bailey. “What took you so long?”

“Yeah sorry about that. Grape and Peanut were doing their imagination session again and we decided to join in.”

“That's okay. As long as you were having fun with your girlfriend.” teased Bailey.

“Oh ha ha, very funny.” said Fox. “By the way, did anything happen while I was gone?”

“Yeah you got message from Bino about some meeting at the club.” said King.

“Oh that's right, we're talking about fire hydrants and mail men.” Fox muttered to himself as he placed his jacket on a coat hanger. ”I'll call him about it tomorrow.”

----

Finally got this chapter done. Sorry it took awhile guys.
Last edited by Saturn381 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Krytus The Dreamer

Post by Krytus The Dreamer »

I've always thought that Fox had great potential as a character. I'd like to see what happens next.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Chapter 3

The next morning, Fox made sure he was prepared for today's meeting at the Good Ol' Dogs Club. Once he was finished, he grabbed his jacket and headed out the door, making his way to the club. When he got there however, he saw that no one was there, with the exception of Bino of course.

“Bino?” said Fox.

“Oh hey Fox. Sorry I forgot to inform you this morning, but today's meeting has been cancelled.” said Bino.

“Why? Where is everybody?” asked Fox.

“They're not coming. They all said they had very important things to do.” answered Bino. “One of them even said he had plans to see the new Star Wars movie today. Personally though, I think they just didn't wanna go.”

“Why is that?” said Fox.

“I don't know....” mumbled Bino. “Maybe everyone is getting sick and tired of the club.”

“Oh don't say that Bino. If they're were tired of the club, why do they still attend. I'm sure they care about this place just as much as we do.” encouraged Fox.

“Yeah, I guess you're right.” said Bino.

“Well unless there's something else you need, I guess I'll be on my way.” said Fox.

“Actually Fox....” said Bino before he stopped himself. “Never mind.”

“What is it? questioned Fox as he headed towards the door.

“Well there was something I wanted to talk about with you, but we can do that some other time.” said Bino.

“You sure?” said Fox.

“Yeah I'm sure.” said Bino.

“Alright. I'll see you later” said Fox as he walked out of the club.

----

Later that day Fox made his way to the park and decided to go for a stroll. Something was bothering him though.

“What did Bino want to talk to him about?” he thought to himself. “I mean if it was something important, why couldn't he just talk about it right there?”

While he was still thinking, he heard his phone starting to ring. He pull it out from his collar and answered.

“Hello?” said Fox.

“Hey Fox, it's Allegra.” said Allegra

“Oh hey Allegra.” said Fox. “How are you?”

“Doing good.” said Allegra. “Hey listen, I'm thinking about going out tonight and get a birthday gift for Duke. Care to join me?”

“Sure, that'll be great.” said Fox.

“Great. So I'll see you after dinner?” said Allegra.

“Got it. I'll see you then.” said Fox.

“Alright. Bye.” said Allegra.

“Bye.” said Fox as he hung up the phone.

“I'll deal with the Bino stuff later.” he thought. “For now, time to think about shopping.”
Last edited by Saturn381 on Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Now I'm guessing it's a choice of loyalty with the title.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Chapter 4

Later that evening Fox, King, and Bailey we're just finishing up diner and start to clean their dishes. Since Fox's dad was going to work later that night, he ordered a pizza for them to eat.

“So what are you doing tonight Fox?” asked Bailey.

“I'm going to Walmart. Allegra asked me to come with her to get Duke a birthday present.” answered Fox. “What about you two?”

“We're going to go watch Jungle Book.” said King.

“That's cool.” said Fox. ”Well it's almost time. I better get going.”

“Alright.” said King as Fox headed for the door. Be careful.”

“You too.” said Fox.

“Tell your girlfriend we said hi.” teased Bailey.

“Very funny.” said Fox as he closed the door behind him.

----

The Williams Residence

Fox made his way to the porch and knocked on the door. The door opened revealing not Allegra, but a huge saint bernard. Fox's eye shrunk in fear as the dog towered over him.

“Uh, hi.” said Fox. “Is...Is this the Williams residence?”

The dog nodded. “You that husky Allegra's been talking about?” he said.

“Well um, yes. My name is Fox and I was suppose to pick her up and....” mumbled Fox before he stopped. The dog's face got more angrier. Fox could only hope that today was not his last.

“I'm just messing with ya buddy. Come on in.” said the dog as he grabbed Fox's leaded him into the house. His mood changed to something more cheerful. “The name's Bruce by the way.”

“Hey Bruce...” Fox said quietly as he followed behind. “So uh, where's Allegra?”

“She's just getting ready.” answered Bruce. “Here take a seat. I'll go get her.”

Fox did as he was told and sat on the sofa. He waited for a couple of minutes till he heard Allegra's voice.

“Hey Fox.” said Allegra as she came down the stairs. She was wearing a different collar this time. It was purple with a green book symbol as the tag.

“Hey Allegra.” said Fox. “Where did you get the new collar”

“Oh this thing? I've had it for awhile now. Only took till now to finally wear it.” Allegra replied. “Now come on. We better get moving before Walmart closes.”

“Alright, let's go.” said Fox.

“Just remember, mom says to be back at eleven.” said Bruce.

“You know we will.” said Allegra as the two headed out.

“So um... Who was that dog in there?” asked Fox.

“Oh Bruce? He's my housemate. Mom adopted him while I was still in Philadelphia.” answered Allegra.

“I see...” said Fox.

“Oh don't you worry though. He may look menacing, but once you get to know him more, you'd want him to be your best friend.”

“I'll try to remember that.” said Fox.

----

Walmart

“So what do you think he would like?” asked Allegra as the two made their way in.

“Well I've only met Duke a few times, but from what I've saw, he did seem a bit on the younger side.” said Fox.

“So you think a toy would be good.” said Allegra.

“Probably.” said Fox. “Hey why don't you get a birthday card? I'll get the toy.”

“Alright, I'll see you there.” said as she head for the card isle.

Fox made his way to the toy isle. While he's trying to figure out which one to get, he heard a very familiar voice.

“Hey Fox.” said the voice. Fox turned around and say his friend Fido.

“Hey Fido.” said Fox in a quite tone. While Fox has helped Fido on several occasions like babysitting his daughter and things like that, in terms of just the two of them hanging out, they hadn't done much since the incident a few years back. “So um, how's Sabrina and Marie doing?”

“They're doing good.” said Fido. “What about you.”

“doing good.” he answered. The two stood there quietly for a few seconds .“So um, you here to get Duke's birthday present?”

“Oh no. Marie wanted me to get her a little stuffed bear.” answered Fido.

“Hey Fido.” yelled Allegra from behind with a card in her hand.

“Oh hey um.... Allegra right?” said Fido.

“Yeah that's right.” said Allegra. “You're getting a birthday present too?”

“Well actually my daughter wanted me to...” answered Fido before he was interrupted.

“You have a daughter?” gasped Allegra. “Fox why didn't you tell me. I would love to meet her.”

“Sorry. I guess I forgot.” said Fox.

“Well I'm going on a date tomorrow night to see a stage play and my dad is having a D&D session on that day. Unless you guys are busy...”” said Fido.

“Oh of course we're not. We can take care of her.” said Allegra. “Right Fox?”

“.....Sure. Well do it” Fox answered.

“Okay. Then I'll see you guys tomorrow night.” said Fido as he grabbed on of the stuff bears. “Later.”

“Later.” said the two as Fido walked off.

“Is something wrong?” asked Allegra. “You seemed hesitant.”

“Oh no, Nothing's wrong.” said Fox as he grabbed one of the toys off the shelf. “Well I guess we better get going.”

Allegra nodded as the two headed out.

----

The Lindberg Residence

As they made their way to Fox's house, he noticed that Allegra had a worried look on her face. As if she really wanted to talk about something.

“What's wrong?” he asked.

“Are you sure there's nothing wrong?” said Allegra.

“Of course.” answered Fox.” “Why do you ask.”

“Well the way you and Fido talked tonight seemed like you didn't wanna talk to him at all.” said Allegra. “Did something happen to you two?”

“Well.... Sort of.” said Fox. “It's something I don't really want to talk about right now...”

“Okay.” said Allegra. “Well I guess I'll see you at Fido's tomorrow then.”

“Alright, I'll see you there.” said Fox as he head towards the door. “Night.”

“Goodnight.” said Allegra as she headed back to her house. “What happened to them while I was away?”
Last edited by Saturn381 on Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

It continues! :D
Fox, quit bottling it up! You gotta resolve this stuff eventually :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Okay, Saturn, you got me hooked. When's the next episode.

Like Krytus, I think Fox is an extremely rich and complicated character. He prides himself on t he strength of his loyalties, but so often they've led him into conflicts, humiliations, and agonies of conscience. So I'm eager to see you take us further.

Regards.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Chapter 5

“I should tell you right now, Marie can be quite the trickster." warned Fox as he and Allegra made their way to Fido's house. “You'll never know what she'll say or do to get her way.”

“Oh don't worry, I use to take care of Bruce when he was just a puppy. This shouldn't be too hard.” said Allegra.

“Alright, but don't say I didn't warn you.” said Fox as he stepped it on the porch and knocked on the door. It immediately open to reveal a small chartreux kitten.

“Bonjour les amis.” said the kitten named Marie as she greeted them with a gesture.

“Hello to you too.” said Allegra. “You didn't tell me she's french.” she whispered with a giggle.

“Well actually she's...” said Fox before he was interrupted by Fido as he walked in.

“He guys.” greeted Fido. “Thanks for coming over. Again if guys had something to do..”

“And again, we'd be more than happy to do this.” answered Allegra. “Right Fox?”

“Yeah.... Sure.” said Fox.

“Good. Well I'm gonna go, if you need have any questions just call me.” said Fido as he kneeled down and kissed Marie on the forehead. “Bye sweetie.”

“Bye papa.” said Marie as Fido got up and walked out the door.

“So what do you want to do Marie?” said Allegra.

Just then Fox’s phone started to ring. He pulled it out from his collar and looked to see who was calling, revealing that is was Bino.

“Sorry I gotta take this.” said Fox as he left the room and answered his phone.

“Hello?” said Fox.

“Fox, It’s Bino!” said Bino.

“Hey Bino, how are…?” said Fox before he was interrupted.

“Where are you?!” said Bino.

“Excuse me? “said Fox.

“We’re having a meeting today and you’re not here!” said Bino.

“Oh yeah, sorry Bino I forgot about that.” said Fox. “I had to do something for someone.”

“Doing what and for who?” asked Bino.

“Umm, I’m doing a D&D session with Joey.” Answered Fox.

“You’re not even into Dungeons and Dragons!” said Bino.

“Hey Fox, Marie wanted to show you something.” yelled Allegra.

“Who was that?" said Bino.

“Sorry Bino, I gotta go.” said Fox

“DON’T YOU HAN…” yelled Bino before Fox hung up the phone and walked back to the living room.

“So what did you want me to see?” he asked.

“A little drawing Marie made.” said Allegra.

Marie handed him the drawing, he looked a saw it has him.

“Aww, thanks Marie.” said Fox.

“De rien.” said Marie.

----

The three played for a good long while till later that night when a young man open the door and let himself in.

“I'm home.” said the man, revealing himself to be Fido's owner/father Ryan.

“GRANDPA!!!” yelled Marie as she ran up to him and gave him a hug.

“Hey Mr. Bryon.” said Fox and Allegra in unison.

“I thought you were in a D&D session.” questioned Fox.

“Well one the players started to get sick so we decided to end the game a little bit early.” said Ryan. “I hope Marie wasn't too much of a hassle for you guys.”

“Actually she was easy to handle.” said Allegra. “Do you want us to stay a little longer.”

“Nah, I'll take things from here.” said Ryan. “Thanks for your help guys.”

“Don't mention it.” said Fox as he and Allegra headed out the door. “By the way I almost forgot, who was on the phone just awhile back?” asked Allegra.

“Oh just a friend of mine.” said Fox.

“What was it about.” said Allegra.

“It was just something about a meeting. Nothing important.” said Fox.

“You sure?” said Allegra.

“Yeah I'm sure. Anyway let's keep going. It's getting late.” said Fox as he took her hand and headed their way to his house.
Allegra looked at her hand and started to blush.

“Are you alright?” said Fox.

“Y-Yeah, I'm fine.” said Allegra as she looked away, still blushing.