Early attempts at a spin-off comic (which so far is unnamed)

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Kirby

Fokson wants YOU for character and plot ideas!

Post by Kirby »

I don't think I'm that great, but I've long since decided that I'm not allowed to judge my own work because the artists of the world fall into two categories: those who think that are all that in a bag of chips, and those who think they suck. I'll let everyone else decide how I do, call me out on my mistakes and praise my well-doings.

Either way, praise or criticism, all I can do is keep trying and keep improving my skills. I've never considered myself to be much of an artist, I've always preferred writing, but my writing style is very irksome to readers and publishers alike, so I've strayed from it to compose music and draw.

Aaaanyway, getting off topic. Page 8 will be the conclusion to the first Arc, "Man's Best Friend", and then it'll be time to do a new arc.
Problem is, with all the stress of moving and co. recently, I haven't had time to actually PLAN anything out, so everyone and anyone, since I actually got this project rolling to practice my artwork, I have a proposition.

I recall a couple of people, NaylorFan and Copper specifically (if my sub-par memory serves), saying they would be interested in pitching story ideas for this. Since this is technically a fan project (though I sort of dislike the term, it is what it is), I welcome you other fans to throw me your two cents (or twenty dollar bills if you're feeling generous) on what you'd like to see going on here. Characters, plot ideas, jokes, what-have-you.

I'd prefer as little 'self-injection' as possible, or even using characters from your own fanfics or RPs. My aim is always to try to be as original as possible (though I guess I fell flat on my face on that one when I went and made a spin-off of Rick's comic, hurr hurr), but other than that, I have open ears. If I get insane amounts of input I won't be able to get to all of it right away, because I can only draw so fast and only have so much time in the day, plus I DO have my own story ideas for this spin-off (they're just better suited to happening in a later-on arc, like 6 or something), but don't let that stop you.

So to recap/tl;dr, looking for your input on story and characters. Make your own families and pets, neighbours for Jake and Buddy, other people of the town, etc. I'm not dropping this project without a fight! =)
Last edited by Kirby on Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Spoiler alert: My real name is Kirby.  BAM!

Not quite dead yet, but close to it.
Karl

Re: Early attempts at a spin-off comic (which so far is unna

Post by Karl »

Kirby wrote:I'll let everyone else decide how I do, call me out on my mistakes and praise my well-doings.
It's true that criticism is important for works. But you're the boss of yourself. You decide what is good for you and what path you choose. People are helpful, but they have different tastes and points of view.
Kirby wrote:I've never considered myself to be much of an artist, I've always preferred writing, but my writing style is very irksome to readers and publishers alike, so I've strayed from it to compose music and draw.
Our likings change during our life. It can happen when you are 20, 30, 40 years old. But if you feel that writing is giving you joy, despite that you know you won't use it to live from it, you should keep writing. In some free time for example.

I can tell you that I thought few years ago that my future will be based on writing. I wanted to become a journalist and write articles. But I had an accident that caused me to stop writing. But I also realized that I actually belong to photography. And today, I just write when I feel inspiration and I have free time.

Also, It's really nice from your side that you ask your watchers to share their ideas with you. It shows that you care about them and how much they mean to you. You have a good heart. And a very creative mind. Your srips cheer me up when I feel sick or when I'm upset :)

Maybe I will PM you some ideas if they will appear in my head ;)
I'm a bookworm!
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Loving this comic so far Kirby. X3
I just wanted to let you know on Page 7 the black text at the bottom of the panels is a little difficult to see against the dark navy-blue pants of Jake.
Heh. Look at that... I started an actual Housepets! fan-fic.
https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 70#p131370
Also:
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Yeah, I know. I was reluctant to put it in speech bubbles because I was trying to make it discreet, but I think I might end up having to do it anyway.

lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Kirby wrote:Yeah, I know. I was reluctant to put it in speech bubbles because I was trying to make it discreet, but I think I might end up having to do it anyway.
I wouldn't recommend speech bubbles because I know you were going for discreet, maybe just try changing the font color to something lighter. So it stands out a little better against the darker colors.
Also:
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

You're a genius! =D

Also, Valerio, if you want to PM me the translation for the dialogue at the bottom, I can upload a version with that part translated for you (since I'm sure it's difficult to translate things that aren't in the speech bubbles).

valerio

Post by valerio »

Kirby wrote:......

You're a genius! =D

Also, Valerio, if you want to PM me the translation for the dialogue at the bottom, I can upload a version with that part translated for you (since I'm sure it's difficult to translate things that aren't in the speech bubbles).
will do in one hour, tops.
Thank you a lot!
lightwolf21

Post by lightwolf21 »

Kirby wrote:......

You're a genius! =D

;3 I'm just trying to help out...and the text is much easier to read now. Thank you. :mrgreen:
Also:
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

I really liked this new strip! The little videogame chat was pretty funny!

Aw! He really needs a friend!

Can't wait for the next one!
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Okay, so mostly moved in now. Still have some stuff to move over to the new place, and a whoooole lot of unpacking to do, but I'll get back on this project as soon as I'm settled in! =)

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Awesome! Just a couple more weeks, then. Can't wait!
My characters
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Fun fact: Job searching + poor economy = way harder than I like.

Also, I'll hopefully be done the last page of Man's Best Friend for you guys soon (finally), sorry for the wait.

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Yay! I can't wait, kirby! I haven't forgotten how good this is.
My characters
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Well here you all are, I FINALLY finished the first arc (after two weeks of being lost in a ditch). Sorry it took so long, but things haven't been quite as easy as I thought they'd be. I barely made my first month's rent, and now have no money left in the bank, so I really gotta "pound the pavement" as my Dad would say and find another job!

That said, refer to a few posts up where I suggested that you guys come up with some writing material for this humble spin-off! Copper, NaylorFan, this is your time to shine, as well as anyone else who would like to give it a shot!

Buddy (and Jake too!) needs some friends, so let's see what the Housepets community can do for him! I'll try my best to keep up with you all and update as often as I can while job-searching, and once I'm back on my feet I'll get to writing my ideas for the later arcs!

Thanks again for your support, too... if not for you guys, I'd have probably been like "forget this, I am way too busy to bother". =)

And for those of you who missed it, this is the post outlining the details of helping me with this spin-off.

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Oohh! This sounds like fun! I'll PM you with an idea for the next arc. Hope you like it. Please don't hate me!
My characters
Blue Braixen
Ms. Sunshine

Post by Blue Braixen »

Comic 7: They're playing Tales of Symphonia :lol:
Comic 8: Poor Buddy, he can't stop thinking about stuffs...

This is getting really good, Kirby. Keep up the great work and I'll try to make up a character or two for you if I can. :D
YingBlanc

Post by YingBlanc »

sent a PM with a good character idea loving the comic so far.
I'm a brony now, Bronies are cool - Doctor Whooves =3
Karl

Post by Karl »

Poor Buddy can't sleep. How he's supposed to meet new friends if he won't be rested :)
I'm a bookworm!
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Copper, YingBlanc, thank you very much for your input. I am very fond of both of your ideas, and will be sure to have them in the spin-off! ^^

Housedog, I'm looking forward to your character ideas! =) (And yes, they're playing Symphonia XD)

I have the baseline for Arc 2 planned out, I now just need some diverse characters for Buddy to meet. Bring it on, people! =D

Kirby

Post by Kirby »

Hello everyone. I'm really sorry about how I've not updated in a really long time, and moreover just disappeared without a word. I'm really only here to make more excuses, so I hope you'll forgive me.

Things have been kind of messed up for me in the last month and a half. I have been unable to find a job out where I live, for starters, and one of our roommates ended up having a disagreement with the other, and she left, leaving us with only two people and raising our rent-per-person by about $200. I've been forced to work at every possible opportunity, and I waste even more time commuting all the way back to my old town just to get to my job. On top of that, my best friend got Falcon Punch'd by a car and was hospitalized, so I have to go see him often. The rest of my spare time pretty much goes into house cleaning and sleep.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear, but I felt that you deserved to know why I just up and disappeared off the face of the earth. I can't promise anything other than that I won't forget about this project, and will get back on it as soon as hell stops raining on me.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Please do NOT spend any more time working on this comic than ABSOLUTELY necessary!

As much as we love reading your story, we would much rather you handle life.
Thank you for informing us of what's up. I'll be praying. :)
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Aww, that's too bad to hear, I loved your comic. It was simple and nice, a thing that I could NEVER do. I'm too much for complicated plots, stronger than me.

But, your life comes first, you know. Take your time and don't worry, comrade ;)
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Karl

Post by Karl »

Sorry to hear that life is recently tough for you. But don't worry about updating. Make sure you'll settle your things first :) And I hope your friend will cure soon.
I'm a bookworm!
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

You know, I was just wondering where you went. I am sorry to hear that things aren't exactly going well for you. I hope things go better for you and your friend. Don't worry about us, we are a very patient bunch, We can wait a couple years, if need be. :lol:
My characters
Russiarules1
Location: By Strawberry Fields, on a flying Yellow Submarine, eating muffins.

Post by Russiarules1 »

Don't worry, man. Do what you have to do.
I hope everything turns out ok, yeah? I wish you luck.
Doing dumb things is what makes us normal humans.
Made by Alex M. Spasibo!
CCCP

Today's World Domination Is Provided By: Ponies
OBEY THE FRIENDSHIP
Vote for TOBUSCUS!!!
Arjay

Post by Arjay »

first page links are dead :(
Staying focused is a full time job at minimum wage.