Housepets search engine!

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

MasterAbsinthe

Housepets search engine!

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Hello Housepets fans! Today I'm starting an ambitious project to create the Housepets Search Engine™, potentially a very powerful tool for anyone who would like to study Housepets!

Let me introduce myself: I'm an editor over at the Housepets! Fandom Wiki. As you can imagine, writing about the comic requires alot of research into the different story arcs, characters, and so on. For each page that I write, I need to have a full picture of the subject in order to faithfully represent the comic. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to effectively navigate the comic to find specific comic strips or information on overarching plot points like the Cosmic Game for instance. I've had to make up for this by memorizing a lot of the comic and just being able to remember things, but I've always thought: "I wish there was a better way to search the Comic!!"

And I came up with the dream of the Housepets Search Engine™, a website like Google where you can search the Housepets comic for any comic strips you'd like: search by character appearance, search by comic title, search by publishing date, and so on.

And today I start making that dream come true! How do I do that I hear you say? I have recently gained a lot of knowledge in what's called "web scraping", which is the art of programming a bot that can go to a website and "scrape", or gather, the information inside, so that I can get huge amounts of data very fast. Basically it involves a lot of this:

Yes... it can be a headache sometimes... but web scraping is a very powerful tool indeed.
My idea for the Housepets Search Engine™ is that I start by writing a bot that goes to the Housepets comic website and goes through ALL of the comic strips, every single one, and gathers all of the information possible from each comic: the title, publishing date, which characters appear, and which story arc the strip is from (and more!), all this information can be put together in a HUGE database, and essentially this can be used as a look-up table to search the comic. It would look something like this:

With this Housepets Database, specific searches can be done. For instance, it's possible to search for every comic strip that includes two characters, in order to see how the two characters have interacted throughout the comic. If you remember part of a comic strip title, you can search by that and easily find it! And even better, I'm also planning on using a text-recognition algorithm so that I can make a transcript of the text inside the comic strips. This way, you can search the comic by what words the characters have used, expanding your ability to navigate the comic.

So yeah, very big ideas indeed! Now to actually make it though... The first step is, as mentioned, making a complete Housepets Database. This would take the shape of a table like the one in the example above. The next step would be to make a website or application that any Housepets! fan can access and search with. This is the tricky step that I'm not sure how to solve... but I'm sure there is a solution. In any case, stay tuned for the progress!
Last edited by MasterAbsinthe on Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I specialize in wolf head avatars.
Harry Johnathan

Re: Housepets search engine!

Post by Harry Johnathan »

It seems like a lot of headache for little results.
It seems like a lot of headache for little results.
41892193d0fe7652ff8a415ce6a9afb9.jpg (86.7 KiB) Viewed 3435 times
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Hagus

Post by Hagus »

Personally I think it's a really cool idea, especially for people who are looking for specific strips or characters and don't know the comic itself all too well. It does seem like a lot of work though, and I wish you luck on the development :D
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 11:36 am It seems like a lot of headache for little results.
Well, I will admit that this is something that will mostly be beneficial for niche users like me, who need to search the comic regularly and specifically.

And additionally, think of it like shooting a rocket to Mars: it won't necessarily lead to great rewards, but the process of scientific discovery and development is huge!

Basically, I'll be pouring dozens of hours on a furry webcomic in the name of science.
Hagus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 7:48 am Personally I think it's a really cool idea, especially for people who are looking for specific strips or characters and don't know the comic itself all too well. It does seem like a lot of work though, and I wish you luck on the development :D
Thank you!

Time for our first update!

I decided to start the project by solving the hardest part: making an algorithm that can "read" the comic strips and find the text inside the speech bubbles, and turning that into computer text (that you could search for). To do this, the algorithm needs to first edit the image to make it black-and-white, so that the text is as clear as possible, here's Custom Ink illustrating the point:

Then, it can use a so-called Optical Character Recognition engine that does the actual "reading". After some tweaking, I found the best settings that seem to work well on most comic strips:

The resulting text is on the left, and as you can see it's not a perfect job, but it seems to work well on most cases. Here's another example that works splendidly:

I will do some more testing of this text-recognition, and then I will move on to actually making the algorithm that goes to the Housepets website and gets the information we need. Stay tuned!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

I'm sure some will find this useful, clever stuff Absinthe!!
Disproportionately Dappled
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am liking what you are showing us so far! Keep up the good work!
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

DDeer wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 12:36 pm I'm sure some will find this useful, clever stuff Absinthe!!
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 4:24 pm I am liking what you are showing us so far! Keep up the good work!
Thanks guys! I'm having a lot of fun with this

Time for our second update!

I wasn't happy with the text recognition results that we got last time, sometimes the text wasn't recognized at all, which is a shame! I decided to really dive into the programming and make a near-perfect text recognition.

To do this, I made a program that recognizes speech bubbles inside a comic strip. Luckily, speech bubbles are usually the only things in a comic strip that use 100% white pixels, so I can just tell the program to find all the white pixels (and add some finishing touches, of course!):

I then separate the speech bubbles from each other and remove the black background, which in this case gives me three different images:

With these, we have the perfect images for the text recognition engine to read! Here is the reading result:

DON'T BE
SAD, FOX!

YESH!
WE’LL SEE
YOU AGAIN

REAL SOON!
BYE BYE!

I JUST HEARD THAT THE MAARTEN
DECIDED TO STAY! WHY CAN'T YOU
GIRLS STAY!

So it's still not perfect, but like this we will at least guarantee that there is a reading for every speech bubble! And it only required like 10 hours of programming!! lol

Since this runs 100% automatically, I can start making the program that goes to the Housepets website and goes through all the comic strips, and then run the text recognition for each strip. Stay tuned!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This does look like it is very convenient and is coming together perfectly! Wonderful work once again!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Cool and interesting project, great update since the first time. It can come useful search through balloons speeches. Great work! :)
MasterAbsinthe wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:56 am Luckily, speech bubbles are usually the only things in a comic strip that use 100% white pixels, so I can just tell the program to find all the white pixels (and add some finishing touches, of course!):
Celestials used to talk with colored balloons, and for few times there are also rectangular third-person speeches with yellow background, though, like in here.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Cesco wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:08 pm Celestials used to talk with colored balloons, and for few times there are also rectangular third-person speeches with yellow background, though, like in here.
Yes, I have thought about this and I think I have a solution. Each comic strip has character tags that the program can detect, so I could be able to run an additional text-recognition on the image if there's a celestial tag present: CERBERUS, GREAT KITSUNE, and so on. If CERBERUS is present, I tell the program to find white AND blue speech bubbles, if KITSUNE, red speech bubbles, and so on. And this wouldn't take up that much code since I can just use the same text-recognition function, except with different color inputs... We'll see!

As for the third-person narration boxes... well they can file a complaint here if they have an issue not being picked up :D

EDIT: Welp, just realized that Pete's speech bubbles are black. That's going to be a doozy...
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Okay time for update number three!!

With the text recognition done, I have moved on to fully develop the bot that goes to the Housepets website and gathers information. After working on this for a while, I now have a list of all the relevant data that I'd like to gather for each comic strip, which are:

IMAGE TRANSCRIPTION: the text inside the speech-bubbles of the comic, which I explained in the earlier posts.

IMAGE LINK: the direct link to each comic strip PNG image file. This is the link you go to when you left-click an image and select "open image in new tab". This is useful to find the image directly without having to access the whole comic strip.

ALT-TEXT: this is the text that appears in the small white box when you hover the mouse on top of the comic strip. I didn't know that this was a thing for a long time, but Rick actually writes some quirky comment in the alt-text for each comic strip!

TITLE: The title of the comic strip.

DATE: The date the strip was published. Because I'm not a silly American, the dates are written down in the format DD-MM-YYYY

DESCRIPTION: Some comic strips have a "description" under the title where Rick sometimes puts a link to a forum discussion page, or for instance in guest-strips where he credits the artists that drew the comic.

TAGS: The tags for the characters that appear in the comic strip

COMIC LINK: Just the link to the comic strip.

Now let's look at an example of a comic strip an let the algorithm loose, for this I have chosen Lesson Learned

So yeah! Now I just need run the algorithm on the first comic strip (When Boredom Strikes) and tell it to click on the right arrow button and repeat the process, for as long as is required for it to get to the latest strip! This can take many many hours, I'm not really sure, so I need to make the algorithm as foolproof as possible so that it doesn't run into any crippling issues in the middle of the process.

The last bit of data that I would want to have is which story arc the comic strip is from, or if it's a guest strip, valentines card, or a one-off in that case. This I can't do by moving through all the comic strips individually, because the comic strips don't actually have that information. I will have to add the corresponding story arc after I'm done with all the other information, because then I can go to the story arc page in the Housepets website and find all the comic strips that are listed in it, and then add that information to the database. You'll see when we get there...

So next time you hear from me, I'll be done with all the data gathering, and you'll see the full database in all it's glory! Wish me luck!

EDIT: Okay so I started to run the algorithm and it's currently taking like 8 seconds for each comic strip. Given that there are now thousands of comic strips on housepets... that's going to take a while! But actually the reason it's taking such an obscene amount of time for each strip is that the first comic strips were not colored, and most of the strip is pure-white... that means the text-recognition algorithm is trying to "read" every single patch of white pixels in the comic strip, not just the speech-bubbles. Hopefully we'll get to christmas 2008 (the first strip in color) in not such a long time, and the process will get a bit faster.

EDIT EDIT: well we've crossed into color territory and it's now taking 6 seconds or so on average, not much better, but now that I've started the progress there's no stopping it! I will have to sleep tonight with the computer turned on and hopefully it's done working tomorrow morning...

EDIT EDIT EDIT: I took the time for the bot to do a whole year of comic strips, from June 2009 to June 2010, which took 15 minutes, times 11 more years... 2.5 hours! We'll be done in no time!

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Okay so I made the mistake of not making the code save any of the progress while the it was running, so the moment I ran into an error on a strip sometime around 2017, the code just stopped and erased all of the data it had gathered so far... so now I have adapted the code to save the data externally in an excel sheet, so that any errors don't delete the already gathered data. This time I swear it's gonna go through!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

All of the updates in that post right there sound like they are really magnificent! I'm glad that you are still working on this project and giving us updates! ^_^
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Looks like this is taking shape well, impressive programming skills, clever use of automation,

Daunted
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

I hope you have snacks because the data is finally in! Update number four!!

Now the algorithm has finished it's algorithming, so we can move on to playing with all the raw data we have! How does the data look like finally? I have formatted it into a simple table, here is a random selection of rows from that table, from comic strip #914 to #935:

So as you can see, each row corresponds to a single comic strip, with collumns for the title, publishing date, and tags, and other (the other information is outside this screenshot). Looking at this information, you can see that the first strips are featuring ROCK and TIGER and CHAUNCEY, while the last half of the comic strips are featuring BAILEY, KING, and PETE. If you know your Housepets lore, you'll guess correctly that here we have selected the strips at the very end of the story arc Tiger's Very Own Super Special Television Show! and the comic strips at the very start of the story arc Heaven's Not Enough, Part 1

So what are we interested to know first? The first question I had was: How many comic strips are there in Housepets exactly??? That's a very simple thing to find out, I just have to ask my computer to print the length of the database, like so:

And the answer?

So tell your friends! There are exactly 2101 comic strips currently posted in the Housepets website!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That really is a lot of comics and this project is really cool! Keep it up MasterAbsinthe!
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:03 pm That really is a lot of comics and this project is really cool! Keep it up MasterAbsinthe!
Thanks, I'm just getting started!!

Update number five!

After gathering the data, I went to the Housepets Wiki Discord and told the other editors the good news, and one of them suggested that I check which comics have the same name. So after a bit of tinkering, I was able to detect the duplicates and put them in a new table. There are 65 duplicates in total:

# --- Date ------- Title
0 --- 06-02-2009 Terrible Consequences
1 --- 31-10-2018 Terrible Consequences

2 --- 24-07-2009 The More Things Change
3 --- 14-08-2015 The More Things Change
4 --- 25-04-2018 The More Things Change

5 --- 25-11-2009 Whoops
6 --- 06-11-2015 Whoops

7 --- 07-04-2010 I Need A Hero
8 --- 05-03-2018 I Need A Hero

9 --- 19-05-2010 Little House In The Woods
10 --- 14-03-2016 Little House In The Woods

11 --- 25-08-2010 Actually Nevermind
12 --- 04-12-2020 Actually Nevermind

13 --- 27-08-2010 Water Water Everywhere
14 --- 30-11-2015 Water Water Everywhere

15 --- 22-10-2010 Alone In The Dark
16 --- 29-10-2014 Alone In The Dark
17 --- 05-09-2018 Alone In The Dark

18 --- 06-12-2010 After These Messages
19 --- 07-03-2016 After These Messages

20 --- 30-12-2010 Guest Comic By Teh Brawler
21 --- 01-04-2011 Guest Comic By Teh Brawler

22 --- 01-01-2011 Guest Comic By Kyderra
23 --- 06-01-2011 Guest Comic By Kyderra
24 --- 30-03-2011 Guest Comic By Kyderra

25 --- 02-02-2011 Going Down
26 --- 01-06-2016 Going Down
27 --- 01-02-2021 Going Down

28 --- 15-04-2011 Things Fall Apart
29 --- 12-03-2018 Things Fall Apart

30 --- 10-02-2012 Cats In The Cradle
31 --- 23-11-2015 Cats In The Cradle

32 --- 21-09-2012 Split The Party (Don’t Split The Party)
33 --- 03-02-2021 Split The Party (Don’t Split The Party)

34 --- 15-11-2012 Guest Strip By Karishad And Stu
35 --- 12-06-2013 Guest Strip By Karishad And Stu

36 --- 21-11-2012 Seasons Greetings
37 --- 13-01-2020 Seasons Greetings

38 --- 29-03-2013 Here’s Your Sign
39 --- 28-03-2014 Here’s Your Sign
40 --- 18-01-2019 Here’s Your Sign

41 --- 24-09-2014 Home Again Home Again
42 --- 09-04-2018 Home Again Home Again

43 --- 24-04-2015 The Secret
44 --- 13-03-2020 The Secret

45 --- 31-08-2015 Splish Splash
46 --- 12-01-2018 Splish Splash
47 --- 08-04-2020 Splish Splash

48 --- 12-09-2016 Speech Impediment
49 --- 20-04-2018 Speech Impediment

50 --- 05-12-2016 Unwarranted
51 --- 08-04-2019 Unwarranted

52 --- 28-04-2017 Nuts To You
53 --- 31-05-2019 Nuts To You

54 --- 05-05-2017 Meanwhile In Canada
55 --- 28-12-2020 Meanwhile In Canada

56 --- 14-07-2017 Concerned
57 --- 27-08-2018 Concerned

58 --- 27-11-2017 Sneak Attack
59 --- 03-08-2018 Sneak Attack

60 --- 07-03-2018 Of The Essence
61 --- 20-01-2021 Of The Essence

62 --- 29-04-2020 No Comic
63 --- 27-11-2020 No Comic
64 --- 21-05-2021 No Comic

so yeah, just a little taste of the power of the database!
Last edited by MasterAbsinthe on Thu Oct 28, 2021 12:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is all just so cool and it is astonishing that you are able to do this! Hope to see more soon!
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:27 am That is all just so cool and it is astonishing that you are able to do this! Hope to see more soon!

And more you'll see! Here's update six!

Although there is lots of fun stuff to do with the data as it is, this time I decided to start working on a way to add "Story arc" information to the database. What I mean is, I want the database to have a collumn telling me which story arc the comic strip is from, like I explained very early on with this example image:

As I mentioned some posts ago, the comic strips in the housepets website don't have a link to their respective story arcs, so it's impossible to extract that information just with the link to the comic strip. Because of this, I need to find a workaround.

I start with this little window, which you'll find in the housepets website. Each line here is a link to a page dedicated to the story arc, which looks like this:

This page lists every comic strip that's part of the story arc, and this is the key to solve this problem! I can create a list of all the comic strip titles that are listed up in the page, and then I can go through that list and compare it to the original database: if there's a comic strip with the same title, we have a match! I can then add the name of the matching story arc in a column next to the title of the comic strip!

So, I created another bot that does all this information-gathering. It was surprisingly fast despite having to go through so many story arcs, although I guess that's easy when we're not talking about 2000+ comic strips. I took a video of it but I couldn't figure out how to put it directly in the post, so I'll have to just put a direct link to it: https://i.imgur.com/p6Dhw9I.gifv Look how fast it's going!! Beautiful.

And with that information, we can work out which story arc corresponds to each comic strip! Here is part of the revised database!!!

DDeer

Post by DDeer »

This is truly impressive, I take my hat off to your programming skills (hard to do with antlers). The comics with common titles is interesting, I can see this is going to be a really useful tool.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If this gets implemented on the main site they should make you a mod or an admin. Just because you made this and you seem to have put it together really well!
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:19 pm If this gets implemented on the main site they should make you a mod or an admin. Just because you made this and you seem to have put it together really well!
Oh my god that would be awesome! I might be able to make a compelling case to the Housepets team if I manage to turn the database into a website that anyone can access... Crossing my fingers!!
DDeer wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:22 pm This is truly impressive, I take my hat off to your programming skills (hard to do with antlers). The comics with common titles is interesting, I can see this is going to be a really useful tool.
Yes I have more things in mind for the database, and I'm sure I'll have even more in the future!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I definitely would vote for you if you could make a case for becoming a mod! I think you would be a great one!
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Ready for update seven??

I did one of the most exciting things that I thought of before I even started this project: making a graph that shows the appearances of characters over time!

Okay so, we now have information for every single comic strip, including the tags. With the tags we can run through the database and "count" every time and date that a tag has been used, and when were done, we just* plot the information in a graph!!

*not "just" lol I still had to spend hours figuring out how to even do that

But here it is in all it's glory! I used random colors for each line, or I would be sitting for an hour hand-picking colors for each character...
01 first character appearances 720p JPEG.jpg
01 first character appearances 720p JPEG.jpg (107.32 KiB) Viewed 2446 times

(Here is the image in a bigger resolution for you to zoom in)

How crazy is that! Here we can see how Grape and Peanut are pretty much the stars of the show by a large margin, but their presence in the comic has actually dropped since the very start of Housepets (their graphs grow faster at the start, but then become more flat), which makes sense since they were pretty much the only main characters in the show at the start, but now there are more characters involved. Next we see that King is the next-biggest character followed by Max, Tarot, Fox, Keene, Sabrina, and all the other secondary characters. Notice the graph for Bino in blue, he hasn't appeared since mid-2019 (I haven't figured out how to show all the years properly yet...)

And at the bottom, there is a whole mess of lines and names for the one-off tags and characters that haven't appeared more than like 50 times, characters like Delusional Steve, Celia Milton, and so on, but you can just barely make out characters like Marion and Karishad and Great-Kitsune.

There is a lot that needs to be done with this graph! I don't want to show anything else yet, though, because I need to really get the hang of the graph software that I'm using so that I can make really nice graphs, you just wait!
Last edited by MasterAbsinthe on Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

That is just impressive as ... welllllllll ... um ... it's REALLY FREE`KIN' impressive !!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I love all the work you are putting into this here! It is really awesome and will be very helpful! To think. Some didn't even see the worth in this and thought it was a waste of time. :P
gforce

Post by gforce »

This finally gives me the opportunity to see just how many times Peanut has loudly interrupted Grape’s naps.
That sounded better in my head
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

For Grape I feel like it would be too much for her to deal with. :P