Problems with Me

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Harry Johnathan

Problems with Me

Post by Harry Johnathan »

I've often wondered why barely anybody except Dayzee ever comments on my stories. Are they just bad? Is there a problem with my writing? Do I not upload enough? I really wish comments would go just beyond like saying "Nice Job!" or something. Like, stuff when Leotamer asked about the priest in my story? People commenting about events in the story and even criticising me when needed? I need criticism! Good Lord, even the sparse comments I DO get I feel like they might be fake! I know people read them, I see the view-counters! What do I lack other writers have?
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Harry Johnathan

Re: Problems with Me

Somebody respond!
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Harry Johnathan

I've been bottling this crap up forever now!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Its not that people don't read them its just that people don't usually comment on stories as much as they used to. I'm sure they take a look at them but it seems like its too much effort to comment. I had the same issue with my story and I had a talented writer (dryideabat) helping me!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:44 pm I've often wondered why barely anybody except Dayzee ever comments on my stories. Are they just bad? Is there a problem with my writing? Do I not upload enough? I really wish comments would go just beyond like saying "Nice Job!" or something. Like, stuff when Leotamer asked about the priest in my story? People commenting about events in the story and even criticising me when needed? I need criticism! Good Lord, even the sparse comments I DO get I feel like they might be fake! I know people read them, I see the view-counters! What do I lack other writers have?
It's not just you, trust me on that(!)
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

I am not the best person to get writing advice, but from what I seen you tend to jump around from project to project a lot, while also trying to keep a chapter formula. I would recommend trying to write self-contained story stories. It is great to experiment, but you also need to know the format you are writing and have it work with you rather than against you.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The only thing harder than writing stories is critiquing them, Rydr, which is why I didn't become an English or a foreign language teacher. Your writing is very energetic, vivid, and the plots are well crafted. Part of your challenge is that you strike themes that are kinda familiar to forum readers over the years. There's just so much originality to be had with fighting demons, vampires, space aliens, using superpowers and so on. Some folks may get put off by how certain characters are depicted but that's literary license, I figure. And many of your readers aren't writers. It isn't that they don't enjoy your stories; it's just that they haven't much to say. Others would rather do role-playing and aren't interested in stories.

Leotamer also pointed out a problem you have in telling your stories and a wise possible solution. Fix on a very limited number of stories to tell, tell them in three or four chapters, and then close them and move on to another one or two. You've probably noticed yourself that you've got a number of stories that have kinda gone dead. It often helps to start a story by first devising a conclusion - know where you're going. You'll notice most "quests" start with a destination in mind and, even though the journey's the story, getting there provides a climax to let you close the book. Or, maybe, as you tell the story, the purpose of the voyage will change.

Who are your favorite authors? Read some biographies of those you like, especially those that talk about their writing style.

Just some thoughts. Happy Easter.
Harry Johnathan

Happy Easter.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Gathering my thoughts for critique takes a while, and I often don't have the time to do it. I also get very anxious making comments. These two points make it hard for me to say anything. If you're okay with me commenting even when I have nothing of substance to say, I can try, but I won't promise it consistently ;)
One the other hand, if you ever want feedback on something in particular, feel free to PM me :D
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I think Obbi just put my thoughts into words. So much of helpful critique is open dialogue between the writer and reader and so much relies on inflection, which is very hard to do on the page. Words written in kindness can be read in frustration and their meaning lost.

Where I comment I do try and be structured but you don't write the way I do. You do short, snappy, sections and you do them well whereas I tend to do a scene over a page or two. A little slower than yours maybe. And I often have parts where not much happens so I can draw the characters out through interaction but you concentrate on telling the story. And it works for you. Never did when I tried it, I can tell you. I can't write a story, with beginning, middle and end, in 1000 words. You can.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Hagus

Post by Hagus »

I'm probably going to end up repeating some stuff but I'll put my two cents in.
throws two pennies onto the floor
So you have a LOT of projects going. More than I've seen anyone else do on the forums. That's not bad at all. It is difficult however, for people to follow and stay engaged with that many stories at once. Most of them aren't finished as well, so when people see you are starting a new story, they may not want to read it until it's done. If I were you I would focus on one or two before moving on. If you're constantly coming up with new ideas (I have new ideas all the time), write them down! You can always come back to them later. But starting something and leaving your readers stuck midway through the story to start a new one isn't the way to go.
I am guilty of this (Minepets! Comic and The Griffin's Champion), but I decided to prioritize the project I find the most importance in (the animated series and the Hunger Games). This doesn't mean you aren't capable of doing more than two, but maybe start with two just so people can follow your content better, and give more genuine comments.
It just takes time, and sometimes people may honestly have nothing to say! I usually don't have comments for any fanfics or works I read, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy them. Just don't give up, you are a very creative, motivated, energetic person and I love what you do here! You honestly remind me of myself when I was a bit younger and it makes me happy to see :D
Harry Johnathan

Hagus wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:02 am I'm probably going to end up repeating some stuff but I'll put my two cents in.
throws two pennies onto the floor
That made me laugh! Thanks for the advice. :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

So... feedback? Any of these thoughts at all helpful? 8-)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:39 am So... feedback? Any of these thoughts at all helpful? 8-)
So... you want feedback on the feedback?

To be honest that can be something special (the visuals for the first 'Doctor Who' titles were mostly created by feedback as a camera was pointed at the monitor showing the output of that camera) but is there the possibility of 'critception'? :D

That theme, if you want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDFvoRNpOM
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Harry Johnathan

NHWestoN wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:39 am So... feedback? Any of these thoughts at all helpful? 8-)
Yeah. Thank all of you for taking time to deal with silly old me. Thanks for the writing advice, and your critiques. Thank you Trekkie especially. And Thank you, Leo, Obbl, Hagus, Dayzee, West, Welsh for taking time out of your lives to write responses to a post I wrote while feeling mad, and helping me out. You guys are the reason this forum is a happy, great place to be. You guys rock.
Harry Johnathan

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 am

To be honest that can be something special (the visuals for the first 'Doctor Who' titles were created by feedback as a camera was pointed at the monitor showing the output of that camera) but is there the possibility of 'critception'? :D
Yeah, old Dr. Who was great.

FUN FACT! Nine lost "Dr. Who" episodes taped from the 60s were found in the basement of a London church. Others were found in a desert in Nigeria and another in a child's beloningings.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:51 am

To be honest that can be something special (the visuals for the first 'Doctor Who' titles were mostly created by feedback as a camera was pointed at the monitor showing the output of that camera) but is there the possibility of 'critception'? :D

That theme, if you want to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjDFvoRNpOM
NEAT! (The missus is a Fan!)
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

There's also not a whole lot of members on this forum it seems. Then again, I wouldn't be privy to that. Only been around since April of last year and even at that my activity here has been sparse at best.
B.E.A.R. PMC
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It isn't just you when you say that about the forum. We HAVE actually been seeing less and less activity as time goes on. I'm sure that we will get more at some point though.
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Rydr,

For my part don't take my lack of comment as a criticism I'm just not great at keeping up with posts and my free time is pretty limited (the fact I've just seen this tread speaks volumes).

Daunted
Disproportionately Dappled
Harry Johnathan

Thank you all for repsonding. It makes me feel a heck of a lot better. :D
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

How are things of late, Rydr? You've seemed pretty upbeat of late.
Harry Johnathan

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:34 pm How are things of late, Rydr? You've seemed pretty upbeat of late.
Alright I guess. I have other places to vent if I need to --- I don't want to make y'all feel downbeat.