H-Pets

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Welsh Halfwit

Re: H-Pets

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

There's nothing wrong with Ham and Barbeque Sauce sandwiches!

It's a good, well maintained, chapter, Mr Harry.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:59 am There's nothing wrong with Ham and Barbeque Sauce sandwiches!

It's a good, well maintained, chapter, Mr Harry.
Thanks Welsh.
Thanks Welsh.
national-hugging-day.jpg (252.12 KiB) Viewed 2482 times
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

These chapters are awesome. Great work!
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hope that this convinces you to start work on the next chapters! I do look forward to them!
Harry Johnathan

I feel bad about not being able to work much on this story anymore so here were my original story plans for the entire rest of the fic:

Tiger was supposed to be in this story, and he went cuckoo-crazy because Marvin went missing years ago (implied to be kidnapped by that creepy stranger from Chapter Two, I think.) Poom was supposed to appear as, like, an evil entity that was possessing a teddy bear and influencing Tiger to rob banks and kill people and stuff. The H-Pets get involved obviously and Tiger has this crazy mech suit he built out of literal garbage from the dump he was using as a hideout, and he launched explosive pies at the H-Pets and Fido gets covered in pie gunk because Dayzee. While all this was going down, the now grown up Pete (because we saw him as a mortal teenager in the first chapter) is a successful CEO and runs a corporation called PETA. He's kicked out of his own company by his advisors and he wants revenge so he attacks them using the superpowers Bahamut gave him which his parents forced him to keep dormant for years out of fear. Before he does that he kills his elderly parents so they won't be ashamed of his actions if he gets caught and he's really mopey about it. He attacks and kills the advisors at a parade and things go nuts and there's all sorts of chaos and the H-Pets have to give up trying to stop Tiger escaping a robbery to fight and arrest Pete. The H-Pets put together a plan to catch Tiger and learn about his backstory and acknowledge that it sucks that Marvin went missing. Max remembers that he saw Marvin being stuffed into a van by the Stranger as a kitten and gets freaked out. They confront Tiger in a meadow so no civilians will get harmed and Look reveals his true nature and turns into this eldritch monstrosity that Sabrina defeats but she dies in the process and Fido is so angry and sad that he leaves the team along with Jata. Tiger is put into a psych ward and promises to find Marvin when he gets out. Meanwhile, the thing that possessed Poom finds Pete in his prison cell awaiting execution and reveals who he really is: he's The Forgotten and he escaped from Hell. He makes a deal with him to use his body as a vessel and promises to break him out. Meanwhile, Earl is cleaning when Jill visits him and they make up, get back together and dance around for a bit. The H-Pets launch a full out attack on The Thomasian Mob and have Thomas and Cecilia arrested and later executed.

After that, we see what Kit (Kitsune) and Dana (Dragon) are up to: Kit's just aimlessly kinda traveling the world, helping people while Drana is a trucker who is still in love with Kit and misses him and Pete, because they had a falling out as kids after gaining their powers. Pete ended up attacking Kit, and cursed him with 9 tails of 9 different animals that he hides under his pants. Sabrina meets Bahamut in Heaven and he's all weak because he gave up so much of his power back in the 70s. Bahamut gives the last of it to her and she is resurrected as a white cat, but the problem is she awoke on top of Mount Everest, obviously quite far away from the other H-Pets and is found near death freezing by hikers. Meanwhile, Pete breaks out of prison using his power but as a side-effect the prisoners and guards are all turned into animals, including Joel who becomes a corgi named King and a prison guard/single mom he has a crush on named Bailey. Fido has become a psycho because of grief and is this vigilante who's out killing and torturing criminals. Pete finds and attacks a shelter full of superpowered puppies and kittens, killing them and stealing his souls to feed the Forgotten and this also gives him Jata's super strength. He finds Fido and exploits his grief to recruit him as his sidekick to "avenge Sabrina" and get revenge on the H-Pets for not saving her.

Another member joins the H-Pets: Fido's brother Bino, who hates cats and is just generally cocky and obnoxious. Grape beats him during training and she gains his respect. There's a vampire (Duchess) who is going around eating rich people as revenge for her old owners losing their fortune. They eventually defeat her but she seduces Bino to be her "Renfield'' and he messes up the H-Pet's attempts to stake her in the heart, so he's kicked off the team but by this point he's made friends with Max and Grape and has stopped hating cats. Peanut confesses to Grape he used to have a crush on her and shows her the photo and she's super creeped out and slaps him but apologizes later. Henry Milton is visited by the spirit of Bahamut in a dream who tells him to research The Forgotten; Henry learns that the Forgotten was an angel who was cast out from Heaven by Bahamut and wants revenge and must eat the souls of superpowered beings to achieve this. He can only be defeated by eating the soul of a pure heart which will eradicate all of his evil and kill him. Res wants a cure for his weretiger form after almost eating Grape during an accidental transformation and quits the team to travel the world; Grape admits she crushed on him which makes him happy and she gives him her scarf. Henry tells the H-Pets about the Forgotten and his plans when Fido and Pete attack MiltonTech, literally leveling the building and is captured by Pete in the ensuing battle; the Pets mourn him for a while and decide to set up shop in the same abandoned warehouse Peanut was held prisoner by Dr. Orwell because they don't want Pete to find them in the mansion, and they begin making rescue plans.

Pete tortures Henry and forces him to reveal where the J.E.E.V.E.S supercomputer is. It's in a vault under Milton Manor so Pete breaks in and steals it. He uses it to spy on the H-Pets, revealing to Fido his plan to devour each of the H-Pets but leave Peanut alone, as he is the prophesied "pure soul" who can destroy the Forgotten. The H-Pets find Jata living in a hut outside of the city with Gale and Pueblo, and somewhat forcibly make him rejoin the team. Kevin gets a girlfriend. It's Sasha, obviously, and she helps the H-Pets I guess, I didn't really think her story out much. Meanwhile, Peanut begins having spooky nightmares about the Forgotten, and becomes possessed by it. Tarot is desperate and attempts an exorcism but fails miserably when Sabrina arrives, having found them. After explaining her situation she heals Peanut and casts out the Forgotten. The team confront Pete at his hideout which they just kinda find by having Kevin go around and beat people up for information. Sabrina confronts Fido and they have a heart to heart… so of course Pete kills Fido for betraying him. Sabrina and Tarot cast the Forgotten out of Pete and it appears as an eldritch horror again. Peanut forces the Forgotten to eat him and this kills it but also kills off Peanut. Some other members like an older and transformed Marion/Lois, Poncho, and the real Breel (not the robot from the first arc) join the team after that and other stories happened like Lois getting together with Poncho and they get attacked by ghosts(?), Henry Milton died of old age, there's a nuclear war, Sgt. Ralph is revealed to be Peanut's father, Daisy shows up and reunites with Grape, Grape becomes a lone superheroine, a Max-centric story where he saves some kids and jumps off a crane, a multiverse crossover with the comics' canon, etc. Pete redeemed himself and helped the Pets fight off the Forgotten again in a second fight which ended up destroying their universe and repairing it so the events of the story happened all over again with only Grape and a resurrected Peanut knowing anything about their past life.
Last edited by Harry Johnathan on Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Krytus The Dreamer

Post by Krytus The Dreamer »

It kinda sucks I wasn't here to experience the story as it came out. looking at the dates it was around the time I was having a bad case of burnout and I felt like I needed a break so I visited forums just to check on a few pages and just left immediately.

While I will admit it wasn't my thing on how fast this fic's pacing was I still found it enjoyable. it was fun to see what you interpreted each character's powers to be. Given how mine turned out to also be about gathering a team it would've been fun to see how our stories differed or interacted.

Could've been fun be eh c’est la vie.
Harry Johnathan

Krytus The Dreamer wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:37 am It kinda sucks I wasn't here to experience the story as it came out. looking at the dates it was around the time I was having a bad case of burnout and I felt like I needed a break so I visited forums just to check on a few pages and just left immediately.

While I will admit it wasn't my thing on how fast this fic's pacing was I still found it enjoyable. it was fun to see what you interpreted each character's powers to be. Given how mine turned out to also be about gathering a team it would've been fun to see how our stories differed or interacted.

Could've been fun be eh c’est la vie.
I wasn't expecting you to be here, hi! (Loved your art for the HP Fantasy World fic :D) Yeah, I'll admit the pacing isn't my strongsuit but I'm a very impatient person and I actually would pump out a bunch of chapters in a single setting... not exactly my proudest moment. :oops: Anyway, sorry 'bout your burnout and all, honestly would've loved to do a crossover of sorts.
Krytus The Dreamer

Harry Johnathan wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:51 am
I wasn't expecting you to be here, hi! (Loved your art for the HP Fantasy World fic :D) Yeah, I'll admit the pacing isn't my strongsuit but I'm a very impatient person and I actually would pump out a bunch of chapters in a single setting... not exactly my proudest moment. :oops: Anyway, sorry 'bout your burnout and all, honestly would've loved to do a crossover of sorts.
Oh, you saw that? Thanks! man, that was a lifetime ago. and it's all good taking a break does wonders. about that crossover though it's gonna be a while before we have a fair fight. The downside of how I write is that it takes a while to get steam going but I think the build-up is worth it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Reunions are always fun.
Harry Johnathan

Oh boy, I went back and read through this fic and it's, uh... it's not great, lol, and I'm pretty sure that my rushed "ending" satisfied nobody. I think I'm gonna have to go back and rewrite everything from the ground up now.
Krytus The Dreamer

I'd read it.
Harry Johnathan

My main problem with it right now is that the characters don't really act or feel like the canon characters in a lot of scenes, and the story structure is very loose and watery, so those are the things I want to focus on.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If you do decide to rewrite this I am sure that it will come out improved. Its up to you because I am fine with what you wrote.
Harry Johnathan

Nevermind, I have way too many projects going on as is. Just lie to yourself over and over again that the story is better than it is, lol.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It probably is better than the one story I tried to write. Let it be known I SUCK unless I have a co-writer.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:26 pm It probably is better than the one story I tried to write. Let it be known I SUCK unless I have a co-writer.
... or put Daisy in it. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Can't remember if I did put Daisy in mine. I was trying to break Sasha and Kevin up so Sasha and Fox could be a couple and my OC could be paired with Kevin.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:12 pm Can't remember if I did put Daisy in mine. I was trying to break Sasha and Kevin up so Sasha and Fox could be a couple and my OC could be paired with Kevin.
I still prefer the Fox-Sasha match up, too. Always thought of Kevin as a one-dimensional with him and Sasha as kind of stereotypic teenager-types like something out of Archie.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Admittedly I liked Kevin because I have a thing for buff characters. But for some reason I never took a shine to Mungo. I don't know if it was because the shipping of him and Fox started RIGHT away or something else.

I do kind of like Fox more though now.
Harry Johnathan

NHWestoN wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 5:33 pm
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 9:12 pm Can't remember if I did put Daisy in mine. I was trying to break Sasha and Kevin up so Sasha and Fox could be a couple and my OC could be paired with Kevin.
I still prefer the Fox-Sasha match up, too. Always thought of Kevin as a one-dimensional with him and Sasha as kind of stereotypic teenager-types like something out of Archie.
I actually prefer Kevin and Sasha being together, I like how simplistic and uncomplicated their dynamic is. Fox comes across as kinda creepy and obsessive in some of the arcs he’s in, not all the time obviously or else he’d have literally zero fans. (And I mean obsessive in that “Phantom of the Opera” sense).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can see how people would see him like that. I am glad that he did grow a little bit after accepting Sasha and Kevin were a good relationship.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Harry Johnathan wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:01 am
I actually prefer Kevin and Sasha being together, I like how simplistic and uncomplicated their dynamic is. Fox comes across as kinda creepy and obsessive in some of the arcs he’s in, not all the time obviously or else he’d have literally zero fans. (And I mean obsessive in that “Phantom of the Opera” sense).
... and I have no problem with that, although I gently disagree. Fox has gone through a number of phases, many of them very beguiling and poignant. Instead of "Phantom of the Opera", maybe Sasha is Beatrice to Fox's Dante.
He was King's loyal wingman for quite a while, then crushing on Sasha, and a policeman struggling with his loyalties, his feelings towards his duties and cats and so on, which were very vulnerable and human. He often played a kind of "everyman" sort who tries so hard yet never quite succeeds or is upstaged by someone else (Fido, Mungo, Kevin). On the other hand, some of his sidebar stories did bother me - I found the episodes with Spring and Summer a little ishshy and gratuitous, for example. I'm not sure where Rick is taking the Mungo-Fox relationship, if anywhere. Keene seems to own that territory.

Walt Kelly, whose comic Pogo Possum had about a hundred first, second, and third tier characters, once offered the disclosure that "Most of my characters are based on an aspect of one man's personality - unfortunately, that personality is mine." I sometimes wonder if certain arcs reflect aspects and trends in Rick's life and experience at the time he spun them out. I don't want to go too far with that speculation because such conjectures cannot be substantiated and may lead to places that are unkind, unwarrented, and "unfun". (And, less we forget, Housepets is, first and foremest, a comic and it is about "the Fun"!) Still, until recently Fox has seemed to be one of the deeper "mensch" members of the resident menagerie.

Thanks for the inspiration, Harry. Be well.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

At this point I think its safe to say that there are only two tiers here for characters. The first which is the exclusive tier which has all the characters in this arc and the second tier which is the not important tier which has...everybody else.
Harry Johnathan

NHWestoN wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:35 pm
Harry Johnathan wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:01 am

... and I have no problem with that, although I gently disagree. Fox has gone through a number of phases, many of them very beguiling and poignant. Instead of "Phantom of the Opera", maybe Sasha is Beatrice to Fox's Dante.
He was King's loyal wingman for quite a while, then crushing on Sasha, and a policeman struggling with his loyalties, his feelings towards his duties and cats and so on, which were very vulnerable and human. He often played a kind of "everyman" sort who tries so hard yet never quite succeeds or is upstaged by someone else (Fido, Mungo, Kevin). On the other hand, some of his sidebar stories did bother me - I found the episodes with Spring and Summer a little ishshy and gratuitous, for example. I'm not sure where Rick is taking the Mungo-Fox relationship, if anywhere. Keene seems to own that territory.

Walt Kelly, whose comic Pogo Possum had about a hundred first, second, and third tier characters, once offered the disclosure that "Most of my characters are based on an aspect of one man's personality - unfortunately, that personality is mine." I sometimes wonder if certain arcs reflect aspects and trends in Rick's life and experience at the time he spun them out. I don't want to go too far with that speculation because such conjectures cannot be substantiated and may lead to places that are unkind, unwarrented, and "unfun". (And, less we forget, Housepets is, first and foremest, a comic and it is about "the Fun"!) Still, until recently Fox has seemed to be one of the deeper "mensch" members of the resident menagerie.

Thanks for the inspiration, Harry. Be well.
Excellently worded as always, Weston.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Thank you, Harry. You're very open-minded and kind.
MischaTheWolf

Post by MischaTheWolf »

I’ve always had a particular soft spot for Fox. I don’t condone his possessiveness but I understand how upset he was after Sasha got with Kevin. I think overall though his good traits outweigh his occasional screw ups. I also think Sasha and Kevin are great together. I’m a little indifferent about Mungo personally but I guess some of their ship art is cute.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can feel Fox's pain and I do route for him sometimes in order to be happy. I think that he FINALLY has earned it after all this time.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

We did see him back at the beginning of this arc - maybe we'll flash back to him once the transformation issues get settled.