Operation Homecoming - A K9 Story

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

trekkie

Re: Operation Homecoming - A K9 Story

Post by trekkie »

Good job on this. I like how you’re weaving Ralph’s backstory into the current events.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Don't worry about your upload rate. This story's fantastic! Ralph's history with Sarah is more complicated than I expected.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Wow, that's quite a backstory you've given Ralph. Great job!
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I still wanna know if Ralph and Sarah are love interests or siblings though. ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I still wanna know if Ralph and Sarah are love interests or siblings though. ;)
Me, too.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Because it is not unusual for siblings to make each other blush.
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Wow I just did a quick search to see if this was an actual operation irl

Turns out it was an operation to release Vietnam POWs and bring them home.
B.E.A.R. PMC
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I guess that is a good thing and the operation now has positive connotations so you can use it here.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I guess that is a good thing and the operation now has positive connotations so you can use it here.
yeah, it fits.
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Testing to see if I can post
B.E.A.R. PMC
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Yep, you’re fine.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

It appears to be working.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It is working but the forum is still a little broken and needs to be recoded. I hope it can be fixed soon!
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Chapter Four - First Leak

- [4:52 PM] -
Babylon Gardens K9PD

Fido stands as he is dismissed. As he walks to the door, Ralph looks over to him just as the Agent calls him back. "Sergeant, can I have a word with you?" Ralph, with an agitated expression, slowly turns back, and Fido promptly leaves the room.

Fido moves for the office area as one of the security detail, a cat, runs over.
"Hey, wait up!" Fido stops. "My apologies, but I don't believe I've introduced myself. I am Sergeant Holland. I've not heard much of your unit and so I am making an effort to acquaint myself." The Sergeant speaks with a thick Mid-Western European accent that corroborates his surname, and he offers his paw for a pawshake to Fido.

Taking his paw, Fido nods and replies,"Fido." He asks,"So, do you know what the rosters will be?"
"I think it may be a mix. Or eh...what is the word? Tailored? Tailored to whom Agent Lindsey deems competent. And speaking of, who is the Grey one? Hehe, he really ticked off Mr. Bruce." Fido laughs nervously as he answers in the same manner.
"Ha...that's...that's Fox. He's not about to die, is he?" At that moment, the large one appears from the corner of the hallway. "Absolutely not!" He lies with a rather blatant grin that screams the contrary.
"And you must be Bruce. Fido." He extends his paw similar to Holland, only this time a much stronger shake, well, shakes him off of his balance. "Woah!"
"Haha! Nice to meet ya!"
"Okay you brute, let's get back to the others and go over our plan." The two Guard-Agents disappear around the corner towards their squad.
Fido yells out,"U-uh, goodbye then! Goodness...", as he gains his balance.

After his encounter with two of his new co-workers, Fido approaches his own circle. In the bullpen, Kevin is at his desk with Fox in front and Terrance at his own. Fido comes with a rather benign offer,"Hey, I'm getting a late lunch. I'll cover tabs."
"Oh hey! I'll get the usual!"
"Say, what's the usual anywa-..."

Should I do this? Agh I've already asked about lunch...I might as well...
I-I'm perfectly justified for all of it...they need the money. Yes, they need the money...

Before Fido leaves the station, he ducks out towards "Evidence Lockup and Storage" when the others aren't looking. When inside, he rifles through a few closed case files and profiles. He decides for a moment which of the several he's selected is going to be taken. He chooses two de-classified documents. One is a profile of a notorious criminal, the other is a cracked case. Fido takes the folders and leaves the lockup.

- [5:23 PM] -
K9PD Briefing Room

"So, current roster puts us at...well, a total split. I don't think they'll like this..." Ralph says, speaking of the roster drawn up by his partner, Lindsey.
"Well I figured not, but I also thought this would be a good opportunity to get your boys used to working with mine. You never know, we could end up working together more."
"If you say so...alright, sending the memo." Ralph stands and turns to Lindsey. "Alright, what now?" Lindsey rises.
"...Meet me and Davis in the garage. Ten minutes." She turns to the door and leaves the room.

Ralph sighs deeply before he follows suit towards the door.

Ralph leaves the station to find he's been inside the station for the duration of the morning and late into noon, which he then takes as his queue to pick up the pace to the garage.
Sarah calls from a cruiser,"Eight minutes. You're getting old, Sergeant."
Ralph hurries his stride to the passenger door and ducks into the car.
"Alright. Where are we going?"

Davis speaks up from the backseat,"A stakeout. Hope you're not hungry, heheh. We're lookin' for the dealers the agency knows of around town. If we get a tag, we follow them, watch for any sorts of deliveries."
"What if w-" "No. Action. Ya see somethin', you let the two of us know. We call it, we get backup, and THEN we move."
"...Got it, then."

The engine starts, and the now three detectives leave the station.

- [5:07 PM] -

Fido exits his patrol car outside of "Liesel & Brooks Financial Brokers" with an envelope in hand. Inside, he sees himself past the secretary to one of the offices.
Inside is a woman; dark hair, hazel eyes, sharp suit. "Hey! How's my favorite K9 today? Come, take a seat."
He puts on a smile despite her surprising attitude. "...Of course."
"What brings you here today?"
Fido reveals his contraband, sliding it in front of her on her desk.
"Two this time. There are a few more...unexpected ferals. Just showed up a few days ago, but regardless, they still need money."
"I'm sorry Ralph, but I can't just double the price. Especially not on such short notice. I can offer $1000."
His eyes flare,"What?!" As to not attract attention, he hushes his voice, but not his tone. "That's even less than last time! Besides, you still owe from when you shorted me last month! Come on, these anima- these people...they need the money."
"...Look. Next time, if you can bring a few more files, of any significance, I will get you what I owe you and then some. For now, I can only offer you $1000."

Fido sulks, but agrees with a heavy sigh,"Alright, fine."
The woman hands him another envelope, and he quietly leaves her office.

"Sir, we just got more case files...yes, they'll be sent with the next shipment."

- [5:26 PM] -
Parking Lot of "L&B Finances"

"Fido, check your phone. Memo went out a few minutes ago. We're split. Meet your team back at the station."
"I'll be there. Gotta make a pit stop first..."

End of Chapter Four

Author's Note: Welp, it's been a month. A rather eventful month, but a month nonetheless. Gotta get back into a schedule because it's been too long. Action's starting to pick up though. Let's see where it goes from here.
As always, please let me know what you think, positive, negative, or otherwise. Thank you for reading!
Last edited by Dogglar on Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.E.A.R. PMC
Nathan Kerbonaut

Good to see this story again. Whatcha up to, Fido...?
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Nice job, hope Fido is still on the right side of the law.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Really great job with this chapter! I still wanna know how Ralph and Lindsay know each other though. (I'm still hoping that they are just siblings.)
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Hold up... Fido, what are you doing?
Nice job on this chapter!
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Took a while to get back to your story - glad I did.
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Thank you
Last edited by Dogglar on Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
B.E.A.R. PMC
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Soon

A few more days, give or take
B.E.A.R. PMC
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I look forward to seeing what else you have planned and the rest of the story and the reveal that Sarah IS Ralph's biological sister! xP
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Okay for real this time, very soon. I know I'm starting to sound like Valve about HL3 xd, about one day, maybe two

I apologize for going back on my previous projection, but procrastination set in (which is no excuse). But, this chapter is going to be the longest one yet and I've at least had a lot of time to try to make it higher quality (which probably isn't hard to do lol)
B.E.A.R. PMC
Nathan Kerbonaut

Don't sweat it. The wait will be worth it, I'm sure :)
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Chapter Five - Deluge

- [7:22 PM] -
Parking Lot of "VIDEO PALACE"

Sitting in the nearly abandoned parking of the Video Rental is an unmarked SUV. Unbeknownst to bystanders lay three Agents in wait. Though the identity of their main target is known, his location is not. Though they may be detached, the agents are not alone. Alongside them works two other squads across the rest of their small town in an effort to locate the criminal Ring Leader: "The Bear".

"So...," Kevin's squad was the earliest to arrive at their location, and thus the first to start. "...when exactly do we call off a stakeout?"

The other agent responds,"Wouldn't know. I've never had to."
"Okay then..."
"..."

A brief silence passes.

"I never got your name. Or...anyone else's for that matter."
"Well, you weren't exactly keen on introducing yourself either, you know."
As Kevin is about to retort, Fox peps up, "He's Kevin, and I'm Fox. Forgive us, but we didn't expect any of this. I'm STILL confused. A little skeptical. I just can't see Babylon Gardens as the location of a massive terrorist operation."
"Well, Fox, thank you for speaking up. I'm Kayla. And to answer your qualms, we didn't think so either, but logistically speaking, it's the place of highest activity."
And thus the night begins for Kayla, Kevin, and Fox.

- [7:39 PM] -
Abandoned Gas Station on the Outskirts of Town

In much of the same style as their colleagues, Sergeant Ralph, Agent Lindsey, and the as-of-yet unknown agent sit in a similar vehicle overlooking two hotel complexes. These complexes could pose as an enticing center for criminal activities due to their anonymity and their ability to hide in plain sight. Even in such a small town as Babylon Gardens, these things are possible.

The other agent in the car had chosen the third shift and was promptly asleep at a moment's notice.

"Sarah, I still feel terrible about it to this day, that I didn't come back after...when were you offered the position?"

"Okay, if I answer this, you have to stop apologizing or else I might snap. Only an hour after you left, the Commissioner came in and explained exactly what you said...and he handed the badge to me. I took it and he left me to my own thoughts."

"I'll be honest, I felt like a jerk after that. Anyways, it's my turn to sleep. You know the drill."
She immediately shuts her eyes.
"Sarah..."

Two Hours Earlier...

- [5:36 PM] -
Fido's House

As time ticks on, Fido drives faster. The longer he is away from his colleagues, the more questions they'll have. Fido arrives at his house and races inside. He quickly stashes the envelope collected earlier and darts out of his house.

Back in the station, everyone waits with impatience (specifically for Fido) before they're dismissed. A few of the agents leave the office area with hushed voices, and Kevin challenges Bruce to an arm wrestle. It is around the time Kevin calls for a second rematch that Fido walks into the station. All of the agents have returned by this point, and he's met with a few glares.

"Hey pick up the pace! Come on, we're already an hour late! It took your buddies long enough just to get packed!"

"It's not my fault you barged in so suddenly with your "secret mission"! We had no idea any of this was even happening, so I don't know what you expected!"

"Listen, just calm down, alright? Davis, we aren't working with professionals here. Up until today, this town has been real quiet and peaceful, and we just came in and told them that they've got everything wrong, so expect some confusion. Fox, I understand everything's happening really fast, but you need to keep up."

Fox leaves the office area, presumably towards the garage.

"Oh, and Fido, do hurry it up. Davis is right on this one, we can't waste a second. On that note, we're fifteen minutes behind deployment, so everyone moves out now, if you're not prepped by now, you're out of luck." She walks off. A moment later she calls out to Ralph and Agent Davis from down the hall,"Come on boys!"

Fido hastily grabs some equipment from the armory and makes way back to the bullpen. Ralph, Davis, and Lindsey are gone, and the rest of his companions have left with haste as well. Left with him is only Agents Bruce and Holland, the Bulldog and Hound. With his thick mark of German, Holland breaks the silence,"Well, I suppose we're it. Okay...Fido, was it? We're posting ourselves at...," he very closely peers over his phone's map. "...Liesel & Brooks Finances. Hmmph, guess I'll take out a loan for mein Traumauto while we wait, eh? Haha!
"Maybe I can get in on the exchange!"
"Hehe, yeah, yeah...s-sure." Fido very nervously laughs. What if one of the employees recognizes him? More worryingly, what if she recognizes him? He'll be thrown in prison! Ruined, at the very least. What will Sabrina think? He focuses on this, "What would she think, if she knew?"

A million thoughts of disaster and downfall plagued his mind for the duration of his ride to their post.

-[8:08 PM]-
Parking Lot of "Liesel & Brooks Financial Brokers"
"Here we are, Fido. You can stop chasin' yer tail back there, it's a simple assignment."
"S-sorry. I guess it's just...the first big assignment," he lies.

Bruce snidely remarks,"Hmmph. You really are a small-town boy, huh? Well, no matter, we'll at least get the job done, hehe."
"Leave him alone, Bruce. It's understandable for him to have fear. My squadmate had a very similar fear at home with the GSG9. Look, Ralph, I will be honest. We are very probably going to be shot at and we will also be expected to keep as calm as we can in such stressful situations. You may even get hurt in your line of duty, but you must remain vigilant. We will watch you so long that you watch us in battle.

"Yeah, we've got ya. Look Ralphy, we've got this, but only if we go about it right. If we see any of these lot act up, we're all goin' in. We've suspected this to be a major export for the Bear for a while, but we've only been able to hit it now due to a lot of more pressing issues going on at the time." Bruce jokes,"Heh, Just a tiny coup, nothin' serious."

For a while longer, the three squads sit in silent attentiveness. Watching, waiting for their target. Until...

-[8:51 PM]-
Parking Lot of "VIDEO PALACE"

In the parking lot of the old rental VHS store,
"ZZZZZ" Kevin fails in his vigilance and succumbs to his fatigue, but Fox and Kayla continue to watch.
"So how many crimes have you stopped over the course of your FBI career?"
"Three." Fox, taken aback, responds rather baffled,"Whaaaat? Nah, I don't buy it."
She smiles, but looks away. "Yeah...hmm, I guess you could say I'm the new one, but I don't really know why they chose ME."
"Trust me when I say I know how you feel. I worked hard to join, but I just...mess up. It's very discouraging, but..."
"I'm sure we'll be fine. I'm sure your Sergeant is a good person, and I know mine will at least pick me up off the ground..."

-[9:00 PM]-
Abandoned Gas Station on the Outskirts of Town

Sarah remains in her slumber as the other agents sit in silence, though who incited it is clear as Agent Davis rarely responds to any of Ralph's attempts to converse.
"So, Agent Davis, when did you join?"
"..."
"...Do you know what exactly we're looking fo-?"
"-Are you deaf?" Ralph fires back,"I know, I know, I'm talking about specifics. If you won't talk to me as me, at least talk to me as your uninformed inferior."
"That's not what I- okay, fine. They usually show up with a few vans, maybe two or three. It's just like all the cliches you've seen before, only, it's real this time and not some cheesy movie. Like we mentioned before, we know this place is a hotspot, but we wanted to wait before busting it to see if it is in any way connected to our larger target."

Ralph shifts his focus back to the window and continues speaking.
"Well...thanks."
"Yeah I-"
As he looks over, he spots three vehicles coming around an intersection. *CLICK*"Visual at the Good Omen Hotel. Got a convoy showing up here, get over here." *KSSCH*

"Sarah. Sarah, get up!"
"...Mmmmhmm. Wh- Oh!" She reaches for the radio in a half-asleep hurry. *KSSCH*"K-keep your radios on and wait for our signal when you get here!"

The Vans pull around into the left alleyway of one of the main buildings as the car behind them parks on the street curb. All the while, Ralph watches intently as the other two fumble with gear.
"Alright, they've parked in that alley over there. What do we do now?"
"When the others get here we are going in first. Hmm..." She picks up the radio again.

-[9:06 PM]-
Downtown

Kayla has the pedal floored as they race to the other side of town when her Captain comes through.

*BEEP*"Kayla, are you there?"*KSSCH*
"Hey, Fox, get that would you?
*CLICK*"We're here!"*KSSCH*
*BEEP*"Alright, when you get here, park quietly in the gas station across from the motel. When you get our signal, you'll move in behind us, got it?*KSSCH*
*CLICK*"Got it. Pull around into the gas station and move in with you."*KSSCH*
*BEEP*"After. Also, you're now Team B. Out.*KSSCH*
"Told ya I won't call off a steakout."

-[9:07 PM]-
Parking Lot of "Liesel & Brooks Financial Brokers"

By now, both Fido and Bruce are awakened from Ralph's message, and very suddenly, the radio barks out Agent Lindsey's voice.
*BEEP*"Listen up Holland! When you get here, park in the gas station across the street from the motel and wait for our signal. You're going to secure the cargo and hold down the parking lot, got it Team C?"*KSSCH*
*CLICK*"Verstanden. We'll be there in ten minutes."*KSSCH*
"Get your things ready, we will attack without delay!"

-[9:20 PM]-

Over the last ten minutes, every squad has prepared themselves with almost no words to each other, only questions pertaining to procedure. Sergeant Holland is the first to arrive, parking on the side of the gas station opposing that of Team A, with Team B arriving shortly afterward.
With everything in place, Ralph asks,
"Everyone's here...," he looks over to his colleague. "What's the signal?"

Captain Lindsey opens the door.

"That's us!" Davis quickly disembarks from the SUV.
Ralph follows suit,"What th- al-alright then!"

The agents hastily arm themselves and move deftly across the street, making an effort to keep their forms low. Lindsey leans on a corner, waiting for the other two.
As soon as they get on the wall next to her, she whispers,"Alright let's go."
She lifts her sidearm up as she turns the corner, now facing the vans. At this moment, she waves to the other teams and continues moving along the alleyway.

Team B leaves their vehicle, and Fido pulls out his radio as he does so. "Team B is moving into place."
In a similar fashion, the team members race across the street, surrounding the parked vehicles. Looking through the windows, Ralph and Holland report.
"Got anything over there?"
"Nein."
"Nothing."

Team C makes their way to the same wall Team A rallied on, but turns the opposite corner leading into the central parking lot of the motel.
On the second floor catwalk is three animals bearing the same uniform: a heavy leather jacket in jeans. One has a handgun tucked into their pants, but the others do not have a visible firearm. Team C hides behind the hedge in the center of the complex as Holland pulls out his radio.
"We're in position."

Ralph stays close behind Lindsey as they move down the alleyway, darting across windows to avoid detection. At the end of the alleyway, the agents start up a set of stairs leading to the balcony and turn onto the main catwalk for the second floor.

Fido looks over the hedge to see...Ralph? "Hey is that Ralph and Lindsey?"
Holland looks over the hedge and pulls out his radio. "Oi, wait a sec. Don't use the walkie, those lot'll hear 'em."

"Hold it." She waits for a moment. The three thugs in front of her are in conversation, but one of them suddenly turns away, leaving the other two to each other. "Okay, Davis you take the one closest. I've got the one behind him." She signals a countdown. Three. Two. One. Lindsey charges one of them, taking him to the ground, while Davis drags the other to the ground. *CLICK*"Two down." Ralph watches in amazement as they cuff the two and drag them behind the corner by the stairway. They secure them in the corner and Lindsey continues down the balcony. Ralph, blushing, gets a tap on the shoulder from Davis, and he keeps moving.

Kayla sits in front of the first van in the alleyway, looking out for anymore after hearing her Captain's message. Fox, behind the van, gets curious. "Kevin, spot for me."
"What're you doin'?"
He tries to open the back door of the van, but it takes some effort. The van, being old enough, budges eventually, but only with Kevin's help, as they both had to tug it open. Inside of the van are a dozen crates. Fox motions to open one but as he moves...

*BANG* *BANG*
"We've been spotted! Everyone hold your positions!"

End of Chapter Five

Author's Note: Ayyy longest chapter with the longest wait! Man I gotta stop doing that...
Well, from here, it's definitely going to start ramping up. Part of the reason its so long with an even longer wait is because I did not want to return without some amount of action, but, I also didn't want to wait another week adding on a whole new completed scene. So, for now, I will compromise. As always, any and all criticism and feedback is greatly appreciated. I don't think I've mentioned it before, but this is my first foray into creative writing with an audience, so thats why I ask for feedback every time :) . Anyways, hope you all enjoyed, and I will see you all in the next chapter.
Last edited by Dogglar on Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:01 am, edited 3 times in total.
B.E.A.R. PMC
Nathan Kerbonaut

Amazing chapter! Love the anticipation of the stakeout, the thrilling action, and Fido's building mystery. I'm a big fan, looking forward to what's next :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I hope that everybody will be OK. Things just have gotten serious.
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Attached to this message is the reference for the motel

(I did not create the image. As nerdy as it is, it's from a video game (Payday 2))
Attachments
plan.JPG
plan.JPG (38.17 KiB) Viewed 7598 times
B.E.A.R. PMC
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Dogglar wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:00 pm Attached to this message is the reference for the motel

(I did not create the image. As nerdy as it is, it's from a video game (Payday 2))
"Guys, the thermal drill. Go get it." Couldn't resist :)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Nathan Kerbonaut

Surprisingly close to what I imagined in my head. And I've never played that game :P
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Okay so basically, its a two story motel. The alleyway on the right is where the van is. The "hedge" is the bush at the top of the parking lot (It's a hedge and the motel sign surrounded by a brick wall).
B.E.A.R. PMC
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

This was certainly worth the wait, very exciting chapter.

Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Thanks!
B.E.A.R. PMC
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Sorry fellas but I've got a bit of a setback; for those of you on the discord, you've probably heard me say it before so apologies for repeating myself.

In short, bad ear infection, already on Antibiotics. I've been set back about a week and it'll continue for a few more days, so expect a delay.

Hope the rest of you have been in good health. Thanks :D
B.E.A.R. PMC
Nathan Kerbonaut

Sorry to hear that, those aren't pleasant. Get well soon, Dogglar!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

OW! A remarkably bad time to get an earache. Get well soonest, chum!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Sorry to hear about your bad ear infection because I know those can be extremely painful. I hope you are able to feel better soon.
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Okay so I've finally gotten used to the rhythm of school now, and progress is good on Chapter Six.
B.E.A.R. PMC
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm glad that you got it all figured out! I can't wait to see how chapter 6 is gonna go! I am still hoping that Lindsey is Ralph's sister or other relative though. lulz
Dogglar

Post by Dogglar »

Perhaps. Without saying too much, I'm staying kind of basic in my writing with it being my first publication of any personal writing. I mean, I made something in a video game universe, but it didn't last long, and I don't necessarily know what medium it would be posted in. Otherwise I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm trying to get that idea.
B.E.A.R. PMC