Let's Imaginate! Casting (Game, I guess)

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Bandit1990

Let's Imaginate! Casting (Game, I guess)

Post by Bandit1990 »

So, I was struck with an idea for a fun diversion.
Basically, the concept is to cast an Imaginate production of something we probably won’t see in the comic.

Mine is just a cast list, as I can’t draw and am not much of a writer.

Here’s the one that got me started, I’m casting based on personality.

Let’s Imaginate! Les Miserables.
Cast list:
Jean Valjean: Peanut
Javert: Sgt. Ralph
Fantine: Tarot, or Grape
Cossette: Sasha
Marius: Fox
Eponine: Natalie
Thenardier: “Four Finger Discount” Jack
Madame Thenardier: Elaine
Enjolras: Kevin
Gavroche: One of Rodney’s cubs maybe, Or King but I have a hard time seeing him agree to it

That’s all the main and supporting characters, there is an extensive list of extras and ensemble that would need filling out. I have only 1 suggestion there.
Grantaire: Other Daryl (He’s the only choice)

This started because I had the idea of Jack and Elaine as the Thenardiers, and spiraled from there. Fantine is hard to cast, for me anyway. I also had some thoughts about Marius, I knew I wanted Sasha as Cossette, so at first I thought that would put Kevin as Marius, and while I think he could pull it off, personality wise he is perfect for Enjolras. I think Fox is a good choice, I could definitely see him emoting to Empty Chairs at Empty Tables.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome! Ideally this is kind of like a game, so go nuts with it.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Saturn381

Re: Let's Imaginate! Casting (Game, I guess)

Post by Saturn381 »

Seems interesting. Let's see how it goes.
Krytus The Dreamer

Post by Krytus The Dreamer »

When i first saw this topic i wanted to try something but i didn't know what but when an anime that i followed updated i got an idea. That particular anime is Boku No Hero Academia and I decided to cast Peanut as the protagonist Izuku Midoriya also known as Deku

a few other's I'm planning on sketching on my free time right now are Bino as Deku's Rival Katsuki Bakugo, Mungo as Deku's mentor figure All Might and maybe King as Eraser Head
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

I was actually thinking of how much I'd love an Imaginate of Hamilton (despite the fact it would never happen).

My cast would be:
Peanut as Hamilton
Grape as Burr
Tarot as Angelica
Sasha as Eliza
Max as Laurens
Fox as Laufayette
King as Mulligan
Ralph as Washington
Duchess as Maria
Bino as Jefferson
Zach as Madison
Keene as King George
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Imaginate Dear Evan Hansen.

Peanut as Evan Hansen
Fox as Connor Murphy
Tarot as Zoe Murphy
Joey as Jared Kleinman
Grape as Alana Beck
King as Larry Murphy
Bailey as Cynthia Murphy

I'm a bit stumped as to who should be Heidi Hansen. Sabrina is old so she could fill the role, but I'm finding it hard to imagine her as Peanut's mother hahah.
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

Phantasy Star IV:

Peanut as Chaz Ashley
Grape as Alys Brangwin
Zach as Hahn Mahlay
King as Rune Walsh
Tiger as Gryz
Sasha as Rika
Tarot as Demi
Fox as Wren
Maxwell as Raja
Bailey as Kyra Tierney
Res as Seth
Bino as Zio The Black Magician
Keene as Juza
Pete as Dark Force

Final Fantasy VII:

Peanut as Cloud Strife
Kevin as Barret Wallace
Grape as Tifa Lockhart
Tarot as Aeris Gainsborough
Fox as Red XIII
Sasha as Yuffie Kisaragi
Maxwell as Cait Sith
King as Vincent Valentine
Tiger as Cid Highwind
Pete as Sephiroth
Spirit Dragon as Jenova?
Zach as Zack (Lol)
Bino as Rufus Shinra
Lester as Tseng
Joey as Reno
Dallas as Rude
Squeaky as Elena (Lol, the nerds are the Turks)
Keene as Joe (The dude whpo rides the Black Chocobo)
Mungo as Mukki (The NPC bodybuilder guy)

I have no idea who could be Hojo, though. There's no one evil enough to be him. I also don't know who Bailey and Fido could be.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Let's Imaginate Hello Dolly.

Dolly Levi: Sabrina

Horace Vandergelder: Fox

Cornelius Hackl: Peanut

Barnaby Tucker: Joey

Irene Molloy: Tarot

Minnie Fay: Sasha

Ambrose Kemper: Max

Ermengarde: Natalie

Ernestina Money: Custom Ink

Rudolf Reisenweber: Fido

Waiters: Mice

Mrs. Rose: Grape

Judge: Ralph
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

CanzetYote wrote: Final Fantasy VII:

Peanut as Cloud Strife
Kevin as Barret Wallace
Grape as Tifa Lockhart
Tarot as Aeris Gainsborough
Fox as Red XIII
Sasha as Yuffie Kisaragi
Maxwell as Cait Sith
King as Vincent Valentine
Tiger as Cid Highwind
Pete as Sephiroth
Spirit Dragon as Jenova?
Zach as Zack (Lol)
Bino as Rufus Shinra
Lester as Tseng
Joey as Reno
Dallas as Rude
Squeaky as Elena (Lol, the nerds are the Turks)
Keene as Joe (The dude whpo rides the Black Chocobo)
Mungo as Mukki (The NPC bodybuilder guy)

I have no idea who could be Hojo, though. There's no one evil enough to be him. I also don't know who Bailey and Fido could be.
Well Bailey isn't evil enough to be the Krampus so anyone is fair game ;)
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

The Breakfast Club:

Kevin as Andrew Clark
Sasha as Claire Standish
Zach as Brian Johnson
Daisy as Allison Reynolds
Bino as John Bender

Wander Over Yonder:

Peanut as Wander
Grape as Sylvia
Bino as Lord Hater
Fox as Commander Peepers
Maxwell as Emperor Awesome
Duchess as Lord Dominator
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

ALICE in WONDERLAND The Lewis Carroll original, the book.

ALICE ... BAILEY. She's calm, gentle, open-minded, a good foil for all the weirdos and dingbats Alice meets.

DINAH, her cat ...MARVIN.

ALICE'S OLDER SISTER ... DAISY.

THE WHITE RABBIT ... ZACHERY. Anxious, kind, always seems on the verge of being overwhelmed, but also resourceful and trustworthy.

THE DODO ... SASHA. What could possibly go wrong... HeeHeeHeeHeeHee....... !!!

THE MOUSE with the "tail" tall ... SQUEEK. Poetic soul and snarky attitude...

Animals in the CAUCUS RACE ... Cory, Ink, Falstaff, Truck, Trinket, the Deer, other "Ferals".

THE CATERPILLAR ... TAROT. She's got the poise, disdain, diction, and those blazing green eyes. And she'd make a wonderful butterfly.

THE CHESHIRE CAT ... SABRINA. Forget Sterling Holloway's leering, bloated lunatic in the Disney cartoon, Sabrina was BORN to play the Cheshire cat! Sophisticated, elusive, beguiling but oh-so-slightly dangerous, she'll show the world how she keeps Fido's devotion with this performance.

THE MAD HATTER ... PEANUT. Well, it's a bit type-casting, but have you seen that "Puzzle-Master" hat?! He'd certainly be as wildly creative as Ed Wynn (Disney 1952 TOON) without all the posturing schmaltz of Depp (The other two not-toons).

THE MARCH HARE ... GRAPE. Truthfully, I could see her better as, say, the Duchess or especially the Queen OF Hearts. BUT...FUNDAMENTAL RULE OF HOUSEPETS HUMOR-THEATRE-EMOTION ... NEVER MISS AN OPPORTUNITY TO PUT THE TWO SANDWICH PETs TOGETHER LIVE, ALONE ON THE SAME STAGE !!! So let the party begin and good luck, Bailey.

THE DORMOUSE ... SPO. A great second-banana, he can hold his own from a teapot.

THE DUCHESS ... BINO. In drag.

THE DUCHESS'S COOK ... JESSICA POSSUM. Like Sabrina, Jessica was born for this part!

THE BABY who turns into a PIG ... TIGER. Type cast but keeps him away from things that go "BOOM!".

THE FROG FOOTMAN ... KEYS.

THE FISH FOOTMAN ... FIDDLER. Gettin' the band back together.

THE GIANT PuPPY ... CERBERUS.

THE PIGEON or MAGPIE ... TRINKET ("Serpent!! Serpent!!")

THE GRYPHON .... KING. Gonna do a little role-reversal here.

THE MOCK TURTLE ... PETE the GRYPHON. Turnabout is fair play, even in a play. King gets even!

OLD FATHER WILLIAM ... RUFUS. He's relaxed, folksy, and he's more than old, he's DEAD.

SON OF OLD WILLIAM ... RES. Sweet, humble, and stressed.

THE THREE GARDENER CARDS: DALLAS (Two of Spades); LESTER (Five of Spades); JOEY (Seven of Spades). The "Painting the Roses Red" trio.

THE QUEEN OF HEARTS ... DUCHESS. Born for this part and ... If I didn't give it to her, she'd hurt me. Bad.

THE KING OF HEARTS ... MAXWELL. King for a day. Max really would bring a sense of fun and panache to the throne, and imagine our favorite alley boy side by side with the conniving snooty saluki.

THE ENCHAINED KNAVE OF HEARTS ... FOX. Brings dignity, melancholy, and a sense of wistful resignation to life's unfairness and defeats, like facing capital punishment over tart pastries.

THE knave's TWO GAURDS ... MUNGO and FIDO. Both look intimidating but, again, good comedians as pofessionals coping with fools.

THE EXECUTIONER ... MILES WOLF for gravitas and a certain bemused detachment; RES could also serve as a sort of reluctant, incongruous sort of headsman.

THE JURY MEMBERS ... Ferrets, Bruno bear, Sophie the Camel, the barn cats, Breel, Jeeves, Thomas and Cecilia Milton

ASSORTED CARDS, COURTIERS, and CROWDFOLK .... K9PD, the Bigglesworth cats, wolves, various humans, Jata, ferals, and (maybe) celestials. Maybe even figures from Pridelands, Spot the Wonderdog, and assorted monsters for forgotten adventures.

Maybe Through the Looking Glass might be a giggle next.
Regards.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

THROUGH THE LOOKING GLASS

Since I just did a casting for Alice in Wonderland, might as well round up the crew and do Lewis Carroll's other hallucinogenic masterpiece.

ALICE ... BAILEY. Well, she got an Oscar for the first performance. She's got that sincerity thing going...

SNOWDROP - THE WHITE KITTEN ... RES. Okay, he's a tabby. But he's so beguiling.

THE MISCHIEVOUS BLACK KITTEN ... SABRINA. Cool, mysterious, and shaping-shifting.

THE WHITE KING ... FOX. Gentle, nervous, dignified, and befuddled.

THE WHITE QUEEN ... SASHA. Dotty, kindly, and sweetly bats.

THE RED KING ... MILES the WOLF. He would look regal even flopped out under a tree.

THE RED QUEEN ... GRAPE. DUCHESS would be type-cast for this role but GRAPE is a real star.

TWEEDLEDEE ... DARYL the WOLF.

TWEEDLEDUM ... OTHER DARYL. "Tweedle-dumber".

THE MONSTER CROW ... PETE the GRYPHON. Well, he can fly and he's a monster...

HUMPTY-DUMPTY ... BINO. Grumpy, stuffy, cracked and sulfuric.

THE LION ... KING.

THE UNICORN ... MAXWELL.

HATTA ... ZACH.

HAIGHA ... DAISY.

LEADER OF THE DRUMMERS ... YELTSIN. You gotta have attitude to "drum them outta town, pal !!!!"

THE JABBERWOCKY ... SPIRIT DRAGON.

THE BOY WITH THE VORPLE SWORD ... FIDO.

THE BANDERSNATCH ... BRUNO BEAR.

BOY'S FATHER ... REX.

THE WALRUS ... TIGER.

THE CARPENTER ... MARVIN. Gotta love a good comedy team!

THE KNITTING SHEEP ... TAROT. She gets to be bossy, prissy, row a boat, and shape-shift.

THE ROSE ..: DUCHESS. Haughty, floral, and proud of her roots. Thorny, too.

THE LILY ... TINY TUM. Child actor required.

OTHERS IN THE GARDEN OF TALKING FLOWERS Custom Ink and the Milton Ferrets.

THE FAWN ..: THE (feral) DEER. I think she can talk

THE WHITE KNIGHT ... PEANUT. Read the book and you'll see why. The White Knight was Lewis Carroll's favorites character in the whole story. PEANUT's kinda the Don Quixote type anyways.

THE WHITE KNIGHT'S NOBLE STEED ... MADE OF WIN. This is the horse that Peanut and Grape meet and ride on Reuben Sandwich's farm.

THE RED KNIGHT ... JOEY. He'd look seriously cool in red armor.

THE RED KNIGHT'S NOBLE STEED ... SOPHIE the CAMEL.

THE AGED MAN ... THE HERMIT.

THE GNAT ... TRINKET. Carroll weirds out on bugs and puns.

OTHER INSECTS
... SQUEEK, SPO, other mice.

THE TRAIN CONDUCTOR ... JESSICA.

PASSENGER DRESSED IN WHITE PAPER ... CILANTRO (CORY) SKUNK.

OTHER PASSENGERS ... Fiddler, Keys, Barn Cats, Lester, the Kangaroos.

FROG GARDENER ... DALLAS.

MASTER OF THE FEAST ... Jeeves.

ROYAL GUARDS .. K9PD.

COURTIERS AND GUESTS AT CORONATION FEAST The Wolves,the Biggleworth cats, humans, and the Ferals.

Regards.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

HIGH NOON

So what would a Housepets! casting for the classic American western be? Realizing, like in any Imaginate, taking this game seriously ignores the predictable reality that the gang will soon make total hash out of the production. Still, attempting a serious flick could be an adventure itself ....

SHERIFF WILL CAINE ... The classic hero standing up for justice against impossible odds. Well, only one salient creature mirrors Gary Cooper and that's FIDO.

Mrs. AMY KANE ... GRAPE. Grace Kelly did the role in the movie so giving this part to GRAPE asks her to play outside her range... But she does get to shoot a bad guy in the back!

HELEN RAMIREZ ... SABRINA ... The logic of the comic would be to switch, pairing SABRINA with her beloved, FIDO as Mrs. Kane and have GRAPE do the Rameirez role. Ramirez, however, is the best female role in the movie; Katy Jurado, one of Mexico's best actresses of the time (and an expert on bullfighting) did the actual movie role. SABRINA could bring a lot of heart and power to the character and, again, she'd be playing against her type. There's also a great confrontation between her and GRAPE'S character and these two would really spark.

DEPUTY HARVEY PELL ... Lloyd Bridges played the part. He tried to get the Sheriff to leave town, and also is jealous of the Kane over Ramirez. FOX would be good in this high angst casting.

MAYOR JONAS HENDERSON ... This is a pivotal role. Addressing a town meeting, the Mayor begins with a powerful statement about the Sheriff's courage, character, and everything the townsfolk owe him. Then he takes a sharp, treacherous pivot, telling the Sheriff that no one will stand with him against Frank Miller's thugs, that the town wants no trouble, and that he and his new bride would do themselves and the town a great favor if he and his wife would just RUN AWAY LIKE A CHICKEN. (walk-on for "that chicken"). Who to cast?
PETE THE GRYPHON if you want snarky and sardonic.
MAXWELL if you want oily and manipulative.
KEENE MILTON Ferret if you want solemn and hypocritical.
MILES WOLF if you want gravitas, dignity, and an unexpected switch to menace. I like MILES.

RETIRED SHERIFF MARSHALL HOWE ... again, casting against type - MUNGO. Howe is an arthritic, burned-out shell of a once monumental lawman. His physical dignity and poise contrast with his bitter words.
MUNGO would convey the bodily strength, but might also project the resignation with conviction.

FRANK MILLER The villain come go town to take back his power and kill the Sheriff who sent him to prison. This major role belongs by right to only one pet .... PEANUT!!!

BEN MILLER ... Frank's gunslinger brother and ally. The movie role was played by Sheb Wooly who later wrote the "Purple People-Eater" song. The stinker for this role ... TIGER

JACK COLBY .... To the role played by Lee Van Cleef ("The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly") ... YELTSIN

JIM PIERCE .... The fourth gunslinger, a mean, murderous sneaky sort. Your turn, LESTER.

JUDGE PERCY METTRICH .... he flees town and tried to get the Kanes to join him. If he doesn't play the Mayor should well be MAXWELL.

DEPUTY HERB BAKER ... RES. He slips out on the Sheriff when no one volunteers to stand with him against Miller's assassins. Res does anxiety and indecision perfectly.

REVEREND MANIM ... A pious ditherer who stands forthright on all sides. TAROT.

SAM and MILDRED FULLER ... Sam's a coward too scared to meet the Sheriff face-to-face, and his wife, Mildred, lies to the Sheriff about his whereabouts. The neurotic KING and SASHA who, having made commercials, has a proven track record performing as a liar.

GILLIS, THE SALOON-OWNER ... An old friend of Frank Miller and all around sleaze-ball. ]l.BINO.

JOE THE BARTENDER ... REX ... has the hang-dog look and looks great in an apron.

HOTEL CLERK ... Another ally of Miller and enemy of Sheriff Kane, whose professional politeness speaks in tones that just shimmer with loathing. JESSICA POSSUM makes sneering an art form.

SAM, MINORITY OWNER IN RAMIRIZ HOTEL ... ZACK RABBIT.

TRAIN STATIONMASTER ... DAISY.

THE BARBER ... MARVIN[/

CHARLIE the DRUNK ... RUFUS.

JIMMY the LAME ... JOEY.

JOHNNY the KID ... Every western in the 50's required a brave kid who wanted to join the hero and had to be sent home. This traditional trope belongs to DALLAS.

COFFIN-MAKER ... delightful, sardonic, and sinister, who else but THE GREAT KITSUNE!

TWO OLD GUYS ON THE HOTEL PORCH ... PETE the GRYPHON and SPIRIT DRAGON.

WEDDING GUESTS ... FIDDLER, KEYS, BAILEY, RACCOONS, CERBERUS, and THE BARN CATS.

TOWNSFOLK in the CHURCH ... BREEL, CILANTRO, TRINKET, THE BIGGLESWORTHS, THE WOLF PACK, and THE HUMANS.

Hope you enjoyed these three cast calls, and my best wishes to all for a first-rate week.

Regards
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, I know, no double posting....
But it's been a while and I got intrigued by a very early strip where Peanut talked about doing Romeo and Juliet with Grape, and how Grape got him to play the role of Juliet. This was before realized the cat was not a male, but was was one of Rick's early forays into gender comedy. It got me to wondering what the play might look like with a full Imaginate cast. So....

PROLOGUE NARRATOR ..... MILES WOLF. You just know he's got baritone for it.

ROMEO ..... GRAPE. She called it. We'll play it her way. She's done drag before.

JULIET .... PEANUT. Experience counts!

FRIAR LAWRENCE ..... MAXWELL. The Friar is a bit of a con.

MERCUTIO ..... RES.

NURSE .... BAILEY. Kinda out of character but she's pretty versatile.

TYBALT CAPULET ... BINO. Resident hot-head, right?

LORD CAPULET .... MUNGO has real stage presence. Breaks stuff, though.

LADY CAPULET .... TAROT.

LORD and LADY MONTAGUE .... FIDO and SABRINA. Keep'n the team together.

BENVOLIO .... FOX. Romeo's pal and a favorite second-banana.

PARIS .... TIGER. Romeo's rival and another nasty.

FIRST SERVANT/WATCHMAN and SECOND SERVANT/WATCHMAN .... SASHA and DAISY. another team.

FRIAR JOHN ... MARVIN.

BALTHASAR .... ZACHERY.

SAMPSON, Capulet Servant .... REX. The dog's an intimidating stage presence needed for the role.

GREGORY, Capulet Servant .... YELTSIN...the perfect wing man to back up Rex!

ABRAM, Montague Servant ... KING. Just the dog to stand up to Rex and Yeltsin. Just not stand very tall.

THE APOTHECARY ... DALLAS. Out of the shadows since his role in Temple Crashers Two.

PETER .... JOEY.

FIRST CITIZEN, Leader of the Citizen Demonstrators .... LESTER. Like Dallas, showing his chops and a role for dog with some bark....

OLD MAN ... THE HERMIT. He's old and he's a man.

THREE MUSICIANS ... KEYS and FIDDLER and DARYL. I don't know what Daryl plays but he'd look handsome with the kitties.

PRINCE ESCALUS, Ruler of Verona ..... KEENE MILTON. He gets the final benediction that closes the play. If the play went pretty serious, having the diminutive ferret get the last words would be rather humorously incongruous. If, like most Imaginates, the play went completely off the rails, having the self-important Keene curtain the mayhem with a dead-pan serious finale would close with an unexpected solemnity and a final moment of textual accuracy purists might find reassuring.

Well, anyhow, I had fun. Regards.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

OKLAHOMA!

It's been over a year so I thought I'd try to revive an old thread that's still got some wool left. Friend of mine saw an updated version of "Oklahoma", we got to talking about it, and I thought it might be a good "Imaginate" for the gang. So ….

CURLEY McLANE - The hero who gets some of the bellowing ballads. Just for giggles, let's give this role to KING.

LAUREY - The heroine. Naturally, BAILEY. SABRINA would be an interesting choice, too. GRAPE ... maybe; she could match the others in emotional range.

AUNT ELLER - The sorta wise old lady type. Both GRAPE and SABRINA could handle it. TAROT would be fun - she's stuffy enough to unconsciously satirize the old trope which characters like Eller represent. If you wanna go way off the farm - JESSICA possum!

ADO ANNIE - The "girl who can't say no" role obviously belongs to SASHA. Just listening to her mangle the lyrics would be worth the price of admission.

WILL PARKER - The cowboy with the crush on Ado Annie. FOX, of course. To break the conventional, ZACHERY or even YELTSIN.

ALI HAKIM - The Wandering Persian peddler with a wandering eye for Annie. MAXWELL seems type cast. If we want to go to left field and pick a feral, how about FALSTAFF?

JUD FRY - The "Bad Guy". TIGER would do a wonderfully over-the-top job. BINO would be okay; menacing sorts who might actually surprise with a good performance include MILES, YELTSIN, and especially REX. Bet REX has a terrific baretone.

ANDREW CARNES - Annie's hyper-protective father as well as a judge and a rancher. PEANUT could make a delicious mess of this part. KEVIN might be fun, too.

GERTIE CUMMINGS - Farm girl with a crush on CURLEY. TAROT, DAISY, or even CUSTOM INK. Best choice, though, NATALIE WOLF.

CORD ELLAM - Sheriff. FIDO. MILES, if you want a Gregory Peck type; if you want a more off-the-wall choice, try BINO, JOEY, or MARVIN. Or how about a female sheriff (think GALE PUMA!)?

IKE SKIDMORE - Big wig rancher. MILES or REX. If you're feeling satirical, DALLAS.

SLIM and FRED - Cowboys with some lines. How about KEENE and BREEL? BREEL rocks the "Dude look".

There are named parts for males (CHALMERS, MIKE, JOE, and SAM as well as unnamed walk-ons. There are also named parts for females (ELLEN, KATE, SYLVIE, Aggie, and ARMINA) as well as unnamed females. It's a crowded stage but actually few major characters.

Lotta good plays and movies out there, folks. (Certainly better than an old chestnut like this one!)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So did you just take over this topic for yourself or can anybody post?
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

As the creator, I'd say it's still open to anyone. :)

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Yeah, Amazee, I bet you could think of a bunch of books or plays or movies. It's kinda fun.... ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm sure I could but when the time comes to put my ideas down, I don't have any. ^_^;;;
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm sure I could but when the time comes to put my ideas down, I don't have any. ^_^;;;
Well, it helps if you've seen the production a couple of times … and liked it. You can get plots and cast lists off the internet, often with reviews of the movie/play/show/novel if you want to get really scholarly. Make a list of the cast from the main player down to as many of the walk-ons as you can. A long list insures you can get as many of the "Housepetians" into the cast as possible which is (sort of) part of the fun.

Then comes the thankful part, trying to pair a character with a Housepet. Now I know a good actor can play any part assigned to him or her, but my temptation is to assign a character to someone who matches the personality of a pet. Peanut's our hero so he's kinda all-purpose, and I tend to think of him as a lead. Or Fido as the heroic, action sort. Sasha, you naturally go for the ditzy gal type or also a mystery lady. Bino is a natural villain which is kinda unimaginative, I admit. Sometimes, a group of characters, like the "nerds" say, lend themselves to a good supporting group. Then it's fun to plu in folks like Rex, Daisy, Itzuki, Bruce Kangaroo and explain why.

It is a bit time-taking so might not be your cup of tea, but I've enjoyed it. Might do "The Godfather next.... :lol: Regards.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Casablanca

Rick: Maxwell- Like Rick, Max is a decent guy under his sarcastic exterior. Alternatively King would be a good choice

Ilsa: Grape-Rick’s former lover and Lazlo’s wife, Grape would be a good choice for this role. Alternative: Sabrina

Lazlo: Peanut- Just an overall very decent character, Peanut would be a good choice. Alternative: Fido

Captain Renault: King-I can just see our grumpy corgi taking to this role. Alternative: Maxwell

Major Strasser: Fox-Going against type but I think Fox could play the menace of the role very well. Alternative: Kevin

Ferrari: Jack-He May be a crook but he isn’t a bad guy under it all. Alternative: The other Daryl

Ugarte: Lester-Ugarte is kinda slimy and villainous, I considered Bino but I don’t know if he do an Imaginate. Alternative: Tiger

Sam: Mungo-Our kindly K-9 Officer would make a good choice for Rick’s pal and pianist. Just make sure the piano is sturdy. Alternative: Res or Marvin

Yvonne: Tiger- A gender bending role but Tiger could do it. Alternative: Daisy

Carl: Dallas- Another kindly sort, I think our Dalmatian would make a good choice for Rick’s waiter. Alternative: Mungo

Sacha: Joey-Rick’s bartender he’s a little more cynical than Carl. I think Joey would do well. Alternative: Dallas

Annina Brandel: Sabrina-A Bulgarian refugee she turns to Rick after Renault offers to help her for certain “favors” in order to get out of Casablanca. Alternative: Grape

Jan Brandel: Fido-Annina’s husband he believes that he has to win at roulette to get the money to leave Casablanca,
Rick lets him win. Alternative: Peanut

Singer: Bailey The singer in Rick’s cafe her songs provide cover for people to do not so legitimate business. Alternative: Squeak

Berger: Sgt. Ralph-Norwegian member of the Casablanca underground, who better to play a crook than the head of the K-9 squad? Alternative: Spo

Tonelli: Yeltsin-A bufoonish Italian Officer, he tries to get Strasser’s attention. Alternative; Sgt. Ralph

Émile: Marvin-Rick’s croupier he helps the Brandels get the money to leave Casablanca. Alternative: Res

Abdul: Res-Rick’s doorman. Alternative: Rock Milton

Pickpocket: Keene Alternative: Daryl

Narrator: Miles Alternative: Fox
Last edited by trekkie on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Good flik choice and nice casting!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Thanks, West, i like your the casting choices you made as well.

The Wizard of Oz

Dorothy: Grape or Peanut
Toto: Pueblo or Tarot
Hunk/Scarecrow: Rufus(if he can come down from heaven) if not Mungo
Hickory/Tinman: King or Maxwell
Zeke/Cowardly Lion: Maxwell or Rex
Glinda The Good Witch: Tarot or Sabrina
Miss Gulch/Wicked Witch of the West: Duchess or Bailey
Nikko: Boris or King
Uncle Henry: Miles or Sgt. Ralph
Auntie Em: Gael or Lucretia
The Munchkins: Mice
Mayor of Munchkins: Squeak or Spo
Prof. Marvel/ The Wizard: Keene
Last edited by trekkie on Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm thinking it would be better if it was Grape that was Dorothy because I can picture her more as the main character rather than Peanut and I know playing the opposite gender is a thing but I think Grape might bring her own special brand to the role. :mrgreen:
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Yeah, Grape is my first choice to play the role of Dorothy, because I could just picture her in the role.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I actually can see Peanut as more of the Tinman to be honest with you.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Nice casting call on the classic.
I do like the idea of Grape as Dorothy, but Peanut would be my preference for the Scarecrow. You know, Rex as the Cowardly Lion is also really inspired. Maxwell would be a good Tinman, but if you wanted "a little off the wall", you could choose Joey or even Dallas. Similarly, Sasha would be an interesting Glenda, but I do like Tarot or Sabrina.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

I've been studying Hedda Gabler at college, and wondered what an Imaginate of it would be like.

Hedda: Grape
Tesman: Peanut
Lovborg: Fox
Thea: Tarot
Brack: Maxwell
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CunningFox wrote:I've been studying Hedda Gabler at college, and wondered what an Imaginate of it would be like.

Hedda: Grape
Tesman: Peanut
Lovborg: Fox
Thea: Tarot
Brack: Maxwell
intriguing casts, cunningFox. Why these choices?
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

NHWestoN wrote:intriguing casts, cunningFox. Why these choices?
I think I first got the idea when I momentarily connected Tesman [absent-minded scholar] with Peanut, who is not the smartest, but can read through a book quickly and has artistic ambitions [if not talent].

I think that of the main characters, Fox would be the best at playing a passionate, troubled character.

I considered having Tarot be Hedda, but that would have meant Grape would be Thea, and it didn't seem right to pair Fox with a cat. [Yes, I know Hedda and Lovborg had a thing in their past, but Thea's his main love interest during the events of the play.]

I think Max would love playing a suave, manipulative character, plus he and Grape would just nail the Hedda/Brack scenes.

So there you have my strange thought processes that led to those choices.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CunningFox wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:intriguing casts, cunningFox. Why these choices?
I think I first got the idea when I momentarily connected Tesman [absent-minded scholar] with Peanut, who is not the smartest, but can read through a book quickly and has artistic ambitions [if not talent].

I think that of the main characters, Fox would be the best at playing a passionate, troubled character.

I considered having Tarot be Hedda, but that would have meant Grape would be Thea, and it didn't seem right to pair Fox with a cat. [Yes, I know Hedda and Lovborg had a thing in their past, but Thea's his main love interest during the events of the play.]

I think Max would love playing a suave, manipulative character, plus he and Grape would just nail the Hedda/Brack scenes.

So there you have my strange thought processes that led to those choices.
I think having a sense of how casting choices get made is just part of the fun. Thanks!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

12 Angry Men,

Juror #1( Foreman) : Takes his responsibility as foreman seriously he is respected in his position of authority wants the deliberations to be fair. Sgt. Ralph or Fido
Off the wall choice : Joey

Juror #2 : Sort of a meek guy he slowly adjusts and speaks up more as the play/movie goes on. Dallas or Joey
Off the Wall choice: Grape

Juror #3 : Loudmouth who is determined to find the defendant guilty. He can be quite abrasive. Spo or Tiger
Off the Wall choice: Dallas

Juror #4: Logical, calm, respects the rules. Can be insensitive without meaning to be. Tarot or Marvin
Off the Wall choice : Tiger

Juror 5: Grew up poor, he is at first reluctant to speak up but gains confidence as the play/movie continues. Maxwell or Grape
Off the Wall choice: Duchess

Juror 6: Lacks self confidence, and is unsure of himself but is generally principled fair. Res or Maxwell
Off the Wall choice: Lester

Juror 7: Loudmouth, wisecracking and conceited. Some consider him the true villain of the piece because he doesn’t care about his duty as a juror. Lester or Spo
Off the Wall choice: Sgt. Ralph

Juror 8: Principled and fair he is the only one to originally vote not guilty. Compassionate, and clever. Fido or Peanut
Off the Wall choice: Duchess

Juror 9: Elderly and observant he is the first to back up juror 8, he wants justice and he defends 8’s decision to vote not guilty. Miles or Gale
Off the Wall choice: Pueblo

Juror 10: Loudmouthed bigot who assumes the defendant is guilty because he comes from a slum. Duchess or Bino
Off the Wall choice: Peanut

Juror 11: Naturalized citizen he takes his responsibility seriously and gets angry when others don’t. Itsuki or Mungo
Off the Wall choice: Bino

Juror 12: Easily distracted, introverted, may not relate well to people, goes along with the group. Peanut or Fox
Off the Wall choice: Fido

Guard: Kevin or Mungo. Off the Wall choice: Jack

Defendant: Young man accused of murder. Rockstar Hawk or Darth Vader Sanchez. Off the Wall choice: Miles

Judge: Keene or Miles

trekkie

Post by trekkie »

The Music Man

Prof. Howard Hill: Peanut or Maxwell

Marian: Grape or Sabrina

Marcellus Washburn: Maxwell or Peanut

Mayor Shinn: Bino or King

Mrs. Shinn : Duchess or Bailey

Mrs. Paroo: Lucretia or Gale

Winthrop: Pueblo or Spo

Zaneta Shinn(mayor’s daughter) : Squeak or Tarot

Amaryllis: Tarot or Squeak

Tommy: Rockstar Hawk or Darth Vader Sanchez

Charlie Cowell (anvil salesman) Lester or Bino

School Board: Fox, Mungo, Kevin, Terrance

Constable Locke: Sgt. Ralph or Fido

Pick-a-Little ladies: Barn cats or Mr. Bigglesworths

Salesmen: K-9 squad or Good Old Dog Club

Train conductor: Miles or Daryl

Townspeople: Neighbor cats and dogs, neighborhood mice plus salesmen, school board, and pick a little ladies

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

GRAPENUT STORY (West Side Story)

So, "West Side Story" might be fun to recast as "Grapenut Story" with our favorite Sandwich siblings in the lead roles. As a plot imposed constraint, the Jets would have to be Dog Characters and the Shark would be Sharks. That does make selection a little trickier since there are more dog characters than cats but, heck, let's play....

ROLE: CHARACTER. Thoughts, if any.

MARIA - GRAPE - The Star's gotta star, right? Grape as Natalie Wood.... gotta love it!

TONY - PEANUT - The logic is inescapable.

RIFF - FIDO - Obvious choice for strongman backup. FOX is another possibility and, if you want to get a little crazy, KING. Bet that little Corgi's got great pipies!

ANITA - SABRINA - She's slinky, sensuous, and articulation. Probably sings and good stage presence. (Again, going outta species - wish I could cast BAILEY, too.)

BERNARDO - MAXWELL or MARVIN. Kinda tough call. Bernardo is the major "Shark" character, but he's MARIA's brother, not her suitor. CHINO, Maria's betrothed is a secondary and rather weak character, unassertive, shy, not many lines (but he does shoot TONY at the end). Housepets logic is that Max is Grape's suitor so he should be CHINO, not BERNADO. I think MARVIN could handle BERNADO as well but perhaps with less flash. So, making the call, MAXWELL plays BERNADO. Done.

ICE/DEISEL - REX - Riff's right hand strong arm, big guy, needs good pipes for his number and has to convey silent menace. Sounds like .........................

ACTION - BINO - Uptight, explosive, fiercely angry member of the Jets and leads a couple numbers. BINO or TIGER.

BABY-JOHN - DALLAS - Youngest member of the Jets, vulnerable and unaggressive but trying to fit in.

A-RAB - LESTER - Jets member. No real character, few lines.

SNOWBOY - FOX - Jets member. No real character, few lines.

ANYBODYS - SQUEAK - tomboy girl trying to be one of the Jets, tolerated, wiseacre; Squeak would be an interesting choice and has the chops.

GRAZELLA - SASHA - Riff's girl.

VELMA - DAISY - Ice's Girl.

Other JET's GIRLS - Duchess, Colleen, Natalie, etc.

DETECTIVE SCHRANK - YELTSIN - He ain't got a right but he's got a badge! Wanna get real crazy? JESSICA!

OFFICER KRUPKE - DARYL - The infamously mean cop celebrated in the very famous song.

DOC - ZACHERY - The gentle storeowner, surrogate uncle to many of our youngsters. ITZUKI might be a possibility, too.

SOCIAL WORKER at THE DANCE - CUSTOM INK - She's such a sweetheart, which is what the role calls for, and also a bit overwhelmed - like many social workers.

BERNARDO - MAXWELL - Discussed above. Leader of the Sharks and Maria's brother.

CHINO - MARVIN - Betrothed to Maria.

PEPE - JASPER - Bernardo's right hand man, and I haven't got many cats to recuit from!

INDIO - DELuSIONAL STEVE - out of madness, theatre!!

ROSALITA - GALE - Okay, "ROSALITA leads the big "America" dance-song number, she's fast on her feet, bet she can belt it out with the best of them, and a puma is a cat.

ALL THE OTHER SHARK GANG MEMBERS AND GIRLS - THE BIGGLESWORTHS - `cause we're pretty much out of cats except for Sabre-Cat (who's dead), Ptah (also no longer with us) and - only maybe - Eudoant (who looks more like a nightmare deer).)

So, how's that Leonard Bernstein?
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I like it. I might switch Marvin and Maxwell were I casting the show, but I understand your reasoning for casting them as you did.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I remember watching that movie in 8th Grade music class which was 13 years ago.

I have to admit, at the end I was kind of annoyed that Anita and Chino got off without ANY consequences for causing the end. I hope that they lived with the guilt for the rest of their lives.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote:I like it. I might switch Marvin and Maxwell were I casting the show, but I understand your reasoning for casting them as you did.
Yeah, on the surface, Maxwell seems more versatile, but then he's had so much more exposure than Marvin. Marvin, however, comes off as more grounded than Max, a lot less vulnerable and insecure. Bernardo's gotta project confidence and swagger which, coming from Marvin, might come off more authentic. On the other hand, since the whole concept of an "Imaginate" is to reduce the whole performance to a smoldering rubble, maybe Max serve better the farcical purpose.........

And, again, Marvin is another one of Rick's first year characters (like Daisy and Rex), I'd like to see get more stage time. But that's a whole nuther issue, eh?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Bring back Marvin! Show him more! Give him an important position in a plot!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Rio Bravo

John Chance: The sheriff and main hero-Fido
Dude:Ex-deputy who now has a drinking problem, Chance deputizes Dude as long as Dude stays sober(replace alcohol with catnip, maybe?)-Maxwell
Colorado Ryan: A young gunslinger he later joins up with Chance and Dude-Peanut
Feathers: A female gambler she can hold her own against a man-Sabrina
Stumpy : Chances's aged and game-legged deputy he has a grudge against the Burdettes-King
Joe Burdette: He kills a man in a saloon, and Chance arrests him, he comes from a wealthy family- Lester
Nathan Burdette: Joe's wealthy brother-Bino
Carlos: Amiable owner of the town's hotel, helps out the lawmen-Marvin
Conseulo: Carlos's wife, she also tries to help the lawmen-Grape
Pat Wheeler: Chances's friend who drives a wagon train-Joey

NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote:Rio Bravo

John Chance: The sheriff and main hero-Fido
Dude:Ex-deputy who now has a drinking problem, Chance deputizes Dude as long as Dude stays sober(replace alcohol with catnip, maybe?)-Maxwell
Colorado Ryan: A young gunslinger he later joins up with Chance and Dude-Peanut
Feathers: A female gambler she can hold her own against a man-Sabrina
Stumpy : Chances's aged and game-legged deputy he has a grudge against the Burdettes-King
Joe Burdette: He kills a man in a saloon, and Chance arrests him, he comes from a wealthy family- Lester
Nathan Burdette: Joe's wealthy brother-Bino
Carlos: Amiable owner of the town's hotel, helps out the lawmen-Marvin
Conseulo: Carlos's wife, she also tries to help the lawmen-Grape
Pat Wheeler: Chances's friend who drives a wagon train-Joey
Nice casting. I laughed loud when I read casting King as "Stumpy" but after a little thought, the choice struck as a pretty astute call.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Thanks, West!

It’s a Wonderful Life

George Bailey: Peanut or Max( also young George)
Mary Hatch: Grape or Sabrina (also young Mary)
Potter: Duchess or Bino
Clarence: Max or Peanut
Mr. Gower: Tiger or Marvin
Harry Bailey: Fido or Sgt. Ralph
Bert the Cop: Sgt. Ralph or Fido
Ernie the cabbie: Marvin or Res
Uncle Billy: Daryl or The Other Daryl
Sam Wainwright: Joey or Dallas (also young Sam)
Violet: Sasha or Daisy (Also young Violet)
Annie the maid: Bailey or Tarot
Mr. Martini: Dallas or Zach
Mrs. Martini: Daisy or Jessica
Ma Bailey: Lucretia or Gale
Pa Bailey: Miles or Poncho
Nick the bartender: Fox or Kevin
Ruth: Sabrina or Sasha
Bailey Kids: The Milton Ferrets
Real Estate Salesman: Kevin or Fox
Cousin Tilly: Tarot or Jessica
Cousin Eustace: Truck or Zach
Potter’s Bodyguard: Boris or Rex