Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

KingFan202

Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Post by KingFan202 »

Anything is possible in games, if you know what your doing.

I think this is a really awesome idea. If anyone here is talented at pixel art let me know :D

Edit: changed title.
Last edited by KingFan202 on Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
King as Red (Pokemon) Avatar By CHAOKOCartoons!
ImageImage
D-Rock

Re: Housepets! The game.

Post by D-Rock »

There was a fighting game idea that came up a while ago. I thought it sounded interesting, but yeah, better have a really good story to explain why the entire town became a tournament. There's the web-comic crossover, Thread Bound, which is supposed to be an action RPG. So the question is, what type of game will it be? RPG? Sidescroller? Visual Novel? Definitely a lot of choices.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

D-Rock wrote:There was a fighting game idea that came up a while ago. I thought it sounded interesting, but yeah, better have a really good story to explain why the entire town became a tournament. There's the web-comic crossover, Thread Bound, which is supposed to be an action RPG. So the question is, what type of game will it be? RPG? Sidescroller? Visual Novel? Definitely a lot of choices.
RPG that follows the comic story and stuff!
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Alright, now how the game will play. Play as the existing characters and change up who we play as in different story arcs, or as an original character who manages to be roped into everything (personally prefer the latter)?

And now that we've narrowed down the genre, how about style? Traditional, turn-based, or action-oriented real time battles?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Embarrassingly I must admit that I've had an idea or 2 about a Housepets! game for awhile now... If you guys are okay with it, I wouldn't mind joining the project, though I'd be more of a concept maker.

Unfortunately it would be difficult to create an RPG for a comedy/romance/slice-of-life story, and even harder to follow the story of an ongoing webcomic. I'd suggest crafting an original story while staying within the comic canon (Kind of like an Anime movie).
RemonyRavine

Post by RemonyRavine »

SuperStar wrote:Unfortunately it would be difficult to create an RPG for a comedy/romance/slice-of-life story, and even harder to follow the story of an ongoing webcomic. I'd suggest crafting an original story while staying within the comic canon (Kind of like an Anime movie).
How would that be difficult? If it were in the style of, say, a Mario RPG (more particularly in the style of the first two Paper Mario games) I think it would work with Housepets just fine.

I do agree with the latter, though. It could only really work well if it went off into its own side-story/spin-off sort of thing.
SuperStar wrote:Embarrassingly I must admit that I've had an idea or 2 about a Housepets! game for awhile now...
Don't worry, I'm on the same boat as you, thinking of all sorts of silly ideas for funsies.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Well we could have the slice of life stuff as side quests, and have a bigger storyline thats canon / follows the comic.

Any of you guys have skype?
ImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So this is like an RP but with Housepets! characters and no original characters?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I don't have Skype, though I've been considering it...

If we are going with the RPG idea is have a suggestion for the name.
Housepets! Tails of Babylon
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So this is like an RP but with Housepets! characters and no original characters?
Its an RPG with the housepets characters.
SuperStar wrote:I don't have Skype, though I've been considering it...

If we are going with the RPG idea is have a suggestion for the name.
Housepets! Tails of Babylon
You should get skype, thats a nice name.

I really need a pixel artist, I can handle the non-art related game making.
ImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm starting to think pixel artists and spriters are professions we lack around here. Someone please prove me wrong.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Yeah... Pixel Art is the biggest thing we need to start.

Anyone else here have RPGMakerVXAce? It's a really effective RPG Maker that I have.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Played around with it, actually. Can't really do anything, though.

Yeah, unfortunately, pixel art is one of those things that can take a while to get down, it seems, especially considering that a basic sprite sheet in RPG Maker VX is twelve images. More if we want more expressions and the like.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SuperStar wrote:Yeah... Pixel Art is the biggest thing we need to start.

Anyone else here have RPGMakerVXAce? It's a really effective RPG Maker that I have.

Thats what i plan on using!
ImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

A suggestion. Before we worry about Sprites, we could try to work out how this game is gonna go.
And also, we could technically start development without the sprites, we would just need to substitute with... humans... until we get the sprites.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Superstar has an incredibly valid point. The story needs to be written out before serious work can be done. Changing a sprite sheet shouldn't be too difficult once finished.

Still have the question of who will the player control; an original character, or the existing ones? I'm asking since there are so many arcs that follow many different characters.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I know its an RPG with Housepets! characters, but can we use OCs also?
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Like I said before I highly suggest we try to craft our own plot, while keeping the comic canon. We could reference and bring up certain events from arcs, while also incorporating some of them, but mainly I believe an original plot is the best take.

Also, I suggest we try to refrain from OCs, unless it's necessary for like Villain or something.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

We could do a smaller game, following King during the fight / before. So its not all just slice of life stuff.

I really wanna keep it as close to the main story as possible because thats what makes housepets so great.

We could throw in a bunch of references to other arcs as well.
ImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

How about a side-scrolling beat 'em up (like Double Dragon or The Simpsons Arcade)? We could have Peanut, Grape, King, and Fido be playable, and have characters like Pete and Jata be bosses.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I like the slice-of-life idea better than a beat-em up. And to go and create our own plots. As to what sort of plots we do, I have no clue.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

Regarding plot, SuperStar and King make interesting points that can change the whole tone of the game. Although following closely to the comic's storyline could create appeal for players, an original storyline that references the main comic could create the possibilities of alternate endings, action-based influence, etc., which would raise the re-playability rate for players, causing a skyrocket in both appeal and popularity of the game.

Regarding a pixel artist, I do have an acquaintance that has experience in it. If this idea does take off, I'll gladly speak to him in interest of the game.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

SergeiTheFox wrote:Regarding plot, SuperStar and King make interesting points that can change the whole tone of the game. Although following closely to the comic's storyline could create appeal for players, an original storyline that references the main comic could create the possibilities of alternate endings, action-based influence, etc., which would raise the re-playability rate for players, causing a skyrocket in both appeal and popularity of the game.

Regarding a pixel artist, I do have an acquaintance that has experience in it. If this idea does take off, I'll gladly speak to him in interest of the game.
A pixel artist? Well thanks, we'll remember to ask you about it if we get anywhere.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And despite what people have been saying, I do not think that Karishad should be the antagonist of the game. He's weird, yes that is true. But it doesn't make him evil.
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SergeiTheFox wrote:Regarding plot, SuperStar and King make interesting points that can change the whole tone of the game. Although following closely to the comic's storyline could create appeal for players, an original storyline that references the main comic could create the possibilities of alternate endings, action-based influence, etc., which would raise the re-playability rate for players, causing a skyrocket in both appeal and popularity of the game.

Thats a great point, I'd love to talk to your friend about some pixel art too!

im not gonna quote everything everyone said, but you guys have good ideas.

Also the antagonist in my opinion would be Pete, since hes the evilest person we've come across in the comic thus far. Some will probably argue immature and not evil but you get the point lol.

I love it when theres tons of references in a game. Like Pokemon X and Y had internet meme's in it.

An original story would great if we have a great writer, I myself am not a great writer. Adding references to the housepets getting drunk on orange soda or bino getting punched in the face would be great.

Anyways. Vote here for your choice of original story or follow the comic!
http://strawpoll.me/2874952

So we can get this started.
ImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

KingFan202 wrote:

Thats a great point, I'd love to talk to your friend about some pixel art too!

im not gonna quote everything everyone said, but you guys have good ideas.

Also the antagonist in my opinion would be Pete, since hes the evilest person we've come across in the comic thus far. Some will probably argue immature and not evil but you get the point lol.

I love it when theres tons of references in a game. Like Pokemon X and Y had internet meme's in it.

An original story would great if we have a great writer, I myself am not a great writer. Adding references to the housepets getting drunk on orange soda or bino getting punched in the face would be great.

Anyways. Vote here for your choice of original story or follow the comic!
http://strawpoll.me/2874952

So we can get this started.
I voted for Original Story, I could write the story, I've been having multiple ideas, Brainstorming is one of my occupations :D
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Wel the Poll is currently 50-50, So we'll give it a day or two more and see where we land.

If we get original story, superstar you can write it. I wanna help though xD
ImageImage
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

KingFan202 wrote:Wel the Poll is currently 50-50, So we'll give it a day or two more and see where we land.

If the vote leads to an original story, if possible, I would like to also assist in its creation. I have experience in writing extended storylines and character creating/editing.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So you are good with character personalities? That would be very great for this especially if you can get it as close to personality that they have in the comics. I would enjoy it very much!
KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SergeiTheFox wrote:
KingFan202 wrote:Wel the Poll is currently 50-50, So we'll give it a day or two more and see where we land.

If the vote leads to an original story, if possible, I would like to also assist in its creation. I have experience in writing extended storylines and character creating/editing.

Sounds great, we should make a skype group for writing this.
ImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Skype Chatroom right? That's free right?
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I do not own a working Skype...
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SuperStar wrote:Skype Chatroom right? That's free right?
SergeiTheFox wrote:I do not own a working Skype...

Skype is free to download. If you guys cant do that we can figure something else out.
ImageImage
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I can download Skype, but I can't remember my Skype or e-mail passwords.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

SergeiTheFox wrote:I can download Skype, but I can't remember my Skype or e-mail passwords.

Make a new one lol
ImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Wait, I remember this site called www.Chatzy.com , try that place out. It's free and easy to access.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think it would be better to do this on Skype, but it is your decision.
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

Is that site friendly for mobile devices? The only device that I own with a camera/microphone on it is my iPod.
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

KingFan202

Post by KingFan202 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think it would be better to do this on Skype, but it is your decision.
Guys just use skype. its fast, free easy and mobile accessible.

Also, Original story won the poll. So thats what we will be doing!
ImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can't wait to see the water balloon arc. Though I have a quick question about a page. The water balloon that was gonna hit Ralph and Kevin, was it gonna land ON TOP of them and was there water in there?