Housepets! Tails of Babylon! * Developer's Thread *

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

GreatKitsune

Re: Housepets! The game.

Post by GreatKitsune »

I'm bored and I have Ableton Suite open, so need any custom SFX?
Hello, low order beings!

Community Involvement, peepoll!
Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I was thinking, there are only 10-12 pets cast, we have dozens of people in this forum... why not make the final version fully voice acted?
Last edited by Buster on Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well, that certainly is an idea. It's easier to manage than a radio show. I think we could try it.
Who wants what voice to start?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

SuperStar wrote:How about rubber pellets? "Cause they don't trust K-9 with real guns."

Here are some ideas for how different characters fight:

Peanut will use Balls as his weapons. One of the stronger variants will be of course the Mega Ball.

Grape
will fight using brooms, maybe some other pole weapons later on.

Bino
will fight with Balls similar to Peanut, but his stats will be different.

Max
I'm a little stumped on, but maybe he could use brass knuckles. Admittingly it is a little simple in comparison to other characters, but it works with him being a half-feral, and I think there could be a joke about it being implied that he is de-clawed.

Sasha
I think could use a purse as her weapon, and she throws random junk out of it to harm enemies.

Fox
of course will use a bo-staff, and he'll be a sort of Grape clone, except his stats will be different much like Bino to Peanut.

King
, I have 2 ideas for him. One is a Shovel cause, well you know. Two is a old RPG fashioned Sword, as a reference to him being a more serious character.
not sure how i dodn't notice this till now, but you missed a staple of JRPGs. Every single one of them has a brawler, a martial artist, or both that you can unlock early on. And I kinda wanna try my hand at spriting Kevin and/or North Star. I figure tackles and boxing moves for Kevin, Flashier martial arts type stuff for North.

That and I kinda wana make attack sprites (IE: the characters actually leap on-screen when they attack, instead of just launching attacks from off screen as per RPGmaker default). though I'll need to see what monster set you're using so i can match the camera angle, palette and scale.
Last edited by Buster on Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

I wouldn't mind voice acting. I could probably manage one of the ferrets, Karishad, Kitsune, Bino, Limerick Guy or Peanut (only only one, though, of course. I might be able to double Limerick Guy or Karishad with one of the others, since my crazy voice is different enough, but aside from that-).
Hello, low order beings!

Someone wise once wrote:I wish I could ride a magical girl's purple flying unicorn to Narnia through Lebouff's Shire, the land of trololol.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I would like to voice act. I could probably try King or Bino. I think I could get Bino's personality down, and maybe King's.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I'd like to try out for either the Villain or Bahamut (if he's in the game). I may also try for a Peanut voice, but that's a bit of a stretch because A: Doing that voice hurts when doing it for too long, and B: It takes multiple tries for me to get it "right" :roll:

By the By, do you have an idea as to what the villain looks like? I can draw some concept for him if you guys would like!
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Sprites are looking good, man!

Also, voice acting? That sounds epic! Would be interesting to hear everyone's interpretations of their voices. Just make sure it's the right file type. Played a really short demo a long while back, had a MASSIVE file size, because all of the voices were in .wav format. For those who don't know, that format has really good sound quality, but huge compared to other more commonly used formats.

Chaoko, lower your voice maybe an octave, you'd have a perfect deep villain voice. Regular voice I can see for Bahamut.

In all honesty, I am curious how my own voice would work. Maybe write up a test script for us to try?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

This really is coming along very great! Wonderful job!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

D-Rock wrote:Chaoko, lower your voice maybe an octave, you'd have a perfect deep villain voice. Regular voice I can see for Bahamut.
Yeah it's not very hard for me to make a deep villain voice with how base-y my voice is, making higher voices on the other hand usually makes me loose my voice :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yeah, that's understandable. I just MIGHT be able to pass for a low tenor if I have enough volume backing up my voice, but I can't hold that for long. Odd, six years in a choir, three of which in the Varsity, and I never developed a proper falsetto.

Anyways, back to the possibility of voice acting, definitely come up with a test script, and everyone will be able to do a try-out.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Now just a reminder, I hope I don't seem like a fun killer or anything. But voice acting is one of the most unnecessary and hard parts of any gaming project. By that, I just mean we should only really worry about voice acting near the end of the project. Of course we could still have some fun, and try out our voices right now.
My brother tells me he thinks I can do a voice for either Joey, Bino or Max. However I don't have a mic, so I'll have to get back to you on that.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Right, wouldn't wanna worry about something optional when we need to focus on the current task at hand: making the game. :)
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Very good point, sorry for getting carried away.

I started thinking, how many playable characters do we want for now?
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

In my opinion a party of around 4 would be good, but that is just my opinion.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

As much as I'd like to say all the major characters, redundancy could be an issue, so how about the most unique characters (Peanut, Grape, Kerishad, Keene, Zach, King, Bailey or Fox, King, Tarot, Bino, Ralph, Fido & Spo, Joey, and Tiger would all be good examples) whoever isn't used should definitely a least appear as an NPC.
Hello, low order beings!

dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Maybe there can be different teams with different points of view that you can play as. Not sure how much extra this would take, but it is an idea.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, there's been mention of the pets that already have powers, particularly tarot, being there at least temporarily. with tarot later becoming more of a mentor/tactician/quest-giver/something or other.
there's the seven from superstar's 'fighting styles' post that keeps getting quoted.
and there's the two I want to add...

so i guess that means we have twelve planned... ten if superstar says no to my wanting to add Kevin and North Star.

Unless you mean active party size, in which case I'm pretty sure RPGMaker's engine only does 3-man and 4-man parties without heavy modding.

EDIT: and aparently these two already beat me to it.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Yeah, I was thinking that it would be neat to assemble our own team from a decent selection.

Each team having a different vantage of the story would be interesting, too.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

dtlux1 wrote:In my opinion a party of around 4 would be good, but that is just my opinion.
4 is about average party size. 3-5, more specifically. Though I'd suggest doing something more like Warriors the Game and making parties unlockable a little while into the game, and making useable members further unlockable (because let's face it: Keene or Rock would be too OP for early game).
Hello, low order beings!

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Well maybe it's like regular JRPGs with the whole 'everyone's a ridiculous bullet sponge' thing when it comes to the ferrets?
because their attacks are slightly absurd real world weapons rather than "Silly attack + powers!" they look like they should be overpowered, but wind up being comically underpowered?
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Buster wrote:Well maybe it's like regular JRPGs with the whole 'everyone's a ridiculous bullet sponge' thing when it comes to the ferrets?
because their attacks are slightly absurd real world weapons rather than "Silly attack + powers!" they look like they should be overpowered, but wind up being comically underpowered?
Well, I guess that would be the case for Rock, but you know Keene would have a superweapon, though he might need Karishard to fire it.
Hello, low order beings!

Mickey

Post by Mickey »

So is this like Scott Pilgrim v.s. The World type of game? Or more like Castle Crashers?

Also, I gotta high voice that might pass for Lana.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

@Greatsune, I always thought MAx covered the "brawler" stereo-class.

I have had ideas for alternate story modes, focusing on different characters, but I'm not sure how it'll work out. I've already thought that you'll be able to recruit a lot of characters(10+), but most of them are only playable at like two points in the game. I was thinking maybe after you win the game you can build a party of any characters you want and go out on bonus missions.

@Mickey, I would love to make a game that plays like Castle Crashers, but at this point I cannot. Right now the game is just an JRPG.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

@Superstar

Alright. That works fine.
Hello, low order beings!

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

@Superstar
Your description implied max was less proper brawler-type character, more comic relief fighter...

You know like Alistair from Dragon age. He initially looks like he'll be 'the knight' but that turns out to be Sten, and Alistair is actually kinda mediocre and really just there for the sake of jokes.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

@Superstar

I love that idea for parties, I think it would work out well. :D
I guess we are doing an @ thing now.
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

Whatever happened to KingFan202?
Hello, low order beings!

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, Max could be a Lethal Joke Character.

I rather like the idea of him using brass knuckles, as I finished reading through the fancomic Housepets 1X, where he uses that.

And yeah, thought KingFan202 would like to see that this project is picking up steam. They were the one who started the ball rolling, after all. Maybe send a PM.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Maybe he didn't subscribe the topic?
ImageImageImageImage
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Possible. But I checked his profile, he apparently hasn't logged on here since December.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Somebody try and message the guy.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Okay, okay, I'm on it geez! I was just speculating. :roll: :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Don't sass us, boy.
My characters!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I've sent the message. He should reply next time he's online.
ImageImageImageImage
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

D-Rock wrote:Well, Max could be a Lethal Joke Character.

I rather like the idea of him using brass knuckles, as I finished reading through the fancomic Housepets 1X, where he uses that.
I don't think it'd be a good idea to include noncanon, tho'.
Hello, low order beings!

CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Well it's not like parts of the story or continuity would be from 1X, it'd just be a nod/reference to it. And it's not like he has many other examples as a weapon.
ImageImageImageImage
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would just love it if we could see Max using brass knuckles! That would be so cool!
GreatKitsune

Post by GreatKitsune »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Well it's not like parts of the story or continuity would be from 1X, it'd just be a nod/reference to it. And it's not like he has many other examples as a weapon.
I'LL FIGHT YOU WITH WORDS!!! lol.

Also, I've been casting for an animated webshow of the comic, so if we decide to use voice acting, maybe we could bring that cast on. You know, for continuity.
Hello, low order beings!

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Sorry for not posting a lot recently. I've been on the road and haven't had a lot of internet access.

@Greatsune, it would make since to use the same voices. But we aren't worrying about voices at this instant.

@1X, 1X Max uses brass knuckles? I had no idea(I know nothing about 1X). And here I thought I was being all original and stuffz, :P

@AnyoneTalkingAboutMax'sStatusAsTheFighter, well what exactly makes him end up as the joke character?