Revive the Wiki

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Amazee Dayzee

Re: Revive the Wiki

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I also wanna find out what gender Jinx is, since somebody said they would like to see Spo and Jinx get together.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

Hard too tell, but since Jinx got his name from Jerry's original one, i always thought it was a male.

Edit: Been too busy, I need to update a lot of humans pics, I will be doing it when get some spare time P=
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I currently have plans to make separate pages for each Wolf, though my progress will be slow cause the com I usually use is being borrowed.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

So, we just passed 200 pages! Yay! What a fine milestone. Any thoughts about small celebration?
So, I've been thinking about whether or not it would be a good idea to make a sister wiki to the Housepets! Wiki, Housepets! Fanon Wiki(or something along those lines). I had the idea since the Housepets! community is so close together and we have lots of fan material, it may be a cool idea to make a wiki where all that fanon info could be stored. I think, if this is a good idea, that it would be a good way to celebrate passing 200 pages. What do you guys think?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think it would be a great idea also. I could put my character and my continuity there!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'd say go for it. Though with all of the fan fics that exist, you're going to need a lot of help.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

The idea is it to be a community work. If someone wants there continuity and characters recorded there, they'll do it themselves, as they would probably be the best suited for giving the needed information, and of course also because of the needed permission. That is not to say that we won't help fix it all up and what not.

Well, if we are gonna do it, what should the name be?
Housepets! Fanon! Wiki?
Housepets! Fanon Wiki?
Housepets Fanon! Wiki?
Housefans! Wiki?
Fanonpets! Wiki?

There's lots of ways we can take this.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'll take Housepets! Fanon Wiki? for 400 Alex.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Fanon implies 'fan interpretation of canon' when most of what you're talking about falls more under fanwork...

the distinction is whether one is analyzing and filling in the gaps in canon, vs. using elements of canon as inspiration for something new.

semantics, and mostly irrelevant ones at that, i know, but it just feels clunky.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Well, Fanon as in Fan Continuity, sense lots of Fanfictions have their own continuity. But I get what you mean.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

Even when Buster is correct, for some reason wikias that list and group fanworks are called fanon

Hoshi is taking about truly talking about fandom wikia but... really dont know why this kind of wikies call themselves "fanon".

I think if u are familiar with this kind of wikias, u just call them fanon instead of fandom.

Since it'll be a new wikia, we can name it whatever name u like.

This is kinda weird since both of u are right somehow, Buster is right in the meaning of fanon, and Hoshi is right naming that kind of wikia with fanon.

For my part since it's already the common trend I think it should be called a fanon wiki, but fanwork/fandom wikia works too

(I will look for why this kind of wikias are called fanon)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

Considering how close the fandom is, maybe we should name it something like "The Housepets! Fan's Wiki"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Or we could just go with Housepets! Fan Fiction Wiki
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Is it really necessary to do that? I mean, we already have a great deal of fan work here on these forums and I wouldn't want to detract from that at all. Besides, I think groups on art sites are better formats for sharing artwork than wikis anyway. I think wiki pages clogged with art would just slow down the wiki and load slowly and I think having pages for every piece of art or every story would just make the wiki far too big to be managed and would essentially turn the place into another awkward kind of art site. So I'm just not sure how feasibly this could be executed.

But that's just my thoughts. Sorry to be a naysayer though.

But congratulations on reaching 200 pages!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

This isn't about the art, so much as all the fanfictions and having one a single database that gives all the necesarry info on all of them. Art can be included of course, but the primary idea was for all the fan stories.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Ah, I see.

That's going to be a lot of fanfic though and I doubt you'd be able to find and include them all. Still, good luck with it if you choose to do it!

What about doing page on the current wiki with a list sorted by genre rather than making a whole new wiki?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I'd say maybe have pages for fan works and fan characters on the main wiki, categorized as fan works to keep them separate from main canon.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

@Brent, That is a possibility, some wikis do do that(Digimon Wiki for one), but I think there's just too much fan stuff to be kept on the main wiki.

@Hlaoroo, well the idea isn't for us to add(at least not for the ones who's authors are still around), but for their authors(that is if they are still around) to add it if they want it to be archived.

EDIT: On another matter, we have started a poll to decide a matter about certain character pages.
https://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com/wi ... n_pages%3F
I know not all of you have wikia accounts, so if you don't have one, just give your vote as a post on this thread.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I think there should be pages on the individual wolves and the Wolf family as a unit.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yes I think that they should because not having one for some characters makes them seem like they are insignificant.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

you actually don't need to log in to vote
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

OH yeah right, you just need an IP address. Heh, forgot.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think I was logged in though I'm not sure. My username should be SoapFan63 or 64.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Don't worry guys! I fricking love Housepets and my autism is making me kinda obcessed so I've been working on adding a LOT more to the wiki and it's gonna be awesome!
I specialize in wolf head avatars.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just make sure that the information you add isn't too wordy which is my problem as I tend to go on and on and ramble.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

It's nice to see someone get the wiki up and running again.
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I've been tempted to edit it, but my skills at that are not great. The Wiki does need two big additions: Marion and Lois. I'm not sure where they fit in the character categories. They aren't humans, they really aren't forest critters, they aren't pets. Its like they are in their own category.

EDIT:

Oh, and I'd like to request that the text in the "Info" boxes get a change. Yellow on light blue is not that easy to read.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

For much of the arc, Lois and Marion were listed under "Humans" on TVTropes, I think. Now they're listed under "Former Humans" with Steward, Thomas, and a footnote for Joel. Previously, King and Joel had the same slot under "Dogs."
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:For much of the arc, Lois and Marion were listed under "Humans" on TVTropes, I think. Now they're listed under "Former Humans" with Steward, Thomas, and a footnote for Joel. Previously, King and Joel had the same slot under "Dogs."
The Wiki had a slightly different organizational style, likely because it was set up long before anyone but King had been transformed and the ones that were we had met as humans first. The wiki either needs a new category or Lois and Marion need to go under humans (I think)
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since they are in the same boat as Joel and Thomas, they should probably go under the same classification as them.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Regardless, I would love to write their wiki pages. Do I need special clearance to add pages? I've never done that before. In any case, I will get started on the writing.

EDIT: Great to see that people are still alive and kicking around these parts. Who is administrator/moderator for the wiki page? Are they active?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

MasterAbsinthe wrote:Regardless, I would love to write their wiki pages. Do I need special clearance to add pages? I've never done that before. In any case, I will get started on the writing.

EDIT: Great to see that people are still alive and kicking around these parts. Who is administrator/moderator for the wiki page? Are they active?

The idea of a wiki is anyone can add pages, but anyone can edit or remove them. There is someone doing basic updates, becsusrme the arcszare getting input. It's been six months since Marion appeared, it personally say to go for it. But I am not nor have ever been a wiki editor.
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Nice. In that case, I'll just go ahead and fill the wiki to my heart's content! Trust me, I'm a great writer.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Go for it!
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I look forward to seeing how much information you are able to add to the pages and how up to date you can get everything!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Be a good thing, says I.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

If u something to help ur work in the wikia, I’ll be happy to work along ^^ I’m still and admin there.
Just for future record, here are others that worked on the wikia back then:

Wikia Name // HP Forum Name // Roles
Kitch // Macsen // ADMIN, BUREAUCRAT
HoshinoKaabi // SuperStar // ADMIN
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Neat! I'm currently reading through Housepets a second time and working on some stub pages, so I'm taking my time. What things can an admin do?
MasterAbsinthe

Post by MasterAbsinthe »

Also, I'm really confused on how signatures work and how to use them in the wiki for talk pages?
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

MasterAbsinthe wrote:Neat! I'm currently reading through Housepets a second time and working on some stub pages, so I'm taking my time. What things can an admin do?
Protect Articles
Ban Users or IPs
Do Rollbacks
Delete pages or images (including their story)
And have access to some special pages
MasterAbsinthe wrote:Also, I'm really confused on how signatures work and how to use them in the wiki for talk pages?
Back then we used to to do that with a template, We just changed a little on it to fit our tastes