Housecraft! (or Minepets!)

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Render
Wanna play a game?

Re: Housecraft! (or Minepets!)

Post by Render »

May I suggest to restart the map with not using a flat but a normal map? With the normal map you (we?) have a more different terrain. If everything is flat, it is very boring, some hills might improve the look of everything, we experienced it on our map that following the terrain while building the main city let everything look much more realistic. A large plains or forest biome would be perfect, I think. If you look at the comics, you'll see that Babylon Gardens isn't all flat. As you have WE on the server, it is easy to make a flat place for the buildings.

What came to my mind during the day is that, if I recall it right, the builded houses along the street were all bungalows, but in the comic most houses have a first floor, for example Zach lives upstairs as you can see in the opener of ways arc. So why not taking this map as a test, how everything is working and starting new?
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Cam-Mac

Post by Cam-Mac »

If we're going to restart the map without using Superflat as the default as Render suggested, may I recommend we use WorldPainter?
It's an easy way to 'draw' custom environments and biomes in a set area in Minecraft. http://www.worldpainter.net/

There might be a way to apply WorldPainter to our existing map so we don't have to restart (we just draw hills in around the existing buildings) but I don't know.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Yeah, a large plains map seems nice.
I think we should squeeze Lego I to the builders slot.
The random guy is either my brother, or someone completely different.
Either way, get a forum account, or get out. :/

Remember the temple.

Also, we were going to use gold nuggets as currency.
But if it's easier, we can use a currency plug in.

We should restart the map.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Do you want to include the survival aspect with mining for the ressources for building the houses or will building be still in creative? What do you want to do with the currency? If you include the mining, then the currency of gold nuggets is to small. Somebody finding a patch of gold has plenty of nuggets - each ingot equals 9 nuggets. If building is in creative, the currency is worthlessas long as it is a vanilla item.
Last edited by Render on Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Evaliae

Post by Evaliae »

Did you still want me to help with building? (In game I was Homshabom)
Cam-Mac

Post by Cam-Mac »

Do you want to include the survival aspect with mining for the resources for building the houses or will building be still in creative? What do you want to do with the currency? If you include the mining, then the currency of gold nuggets is to small. Somebody finding a patch of gold has plenty of nuggets - each ingot equals 9 nuggets. If building is in creative, the currency is worthlessas long as it is a vanilla item.
In WorldPainter you can control the number of caves and the amount of minerals that are underground. You could make gold scarce if you're worried about the money-on-trees issue.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Cam-Mac wrote:
Do you want to include the survival aspect with mining for the resources for building the houses or will building be still in creative? What do you want to do with the currency? If you include the mining, then the currency of gold nuggets is to small. Somebody finding a patch of gold has plenty of nuggets - each ingot equals 9 nuggets. If building is in creative, the currency is worthlessas long as it is a vanilla item.
In WorldPainter you can control the number of caves and the amount of minerals that are underground. You could make gold scarce if you're worried about the money-on-trees issue.
That depends, what the money should be used to. If you make valuable ores to rare, mining for them is no fun anymore.
Are these WoldPainter maps limited? There need to be a possiblity to prevent users to extend the map to far for finding the ores in new regions.

If you start this as a survival map, I like to suggest using gold ingots as currency, that works well on the server I'm on and has the effect that you have your money in your hand instead of some imaginary credits that only exist in a display. This gold can be used in a servershop for buying building materials that are not easy to get in large quantities like colored wool.
If you later like to include rewards for quests, there are some items that cannot be obtained in normal gameplay and also not via the creative inventory, like for example the cocoa plant or glowing redstone ore or farmland or or or...

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Cam-Mac

Post by Cam-Mac »

Are these WoldPainter maps limited? There need to be a possiblity to prevent users to extend the map to far for finding the ores in new regions.
They are limited, but they can be made on a very large scale. There are options for blocking off your world from the randomly generated biomes with a bedrock wall, or you could fill the rest of the landscape with ocean, or you could make your world into a floating island with edges that drop off into the Void.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Woah, I left to work on the comic for about 19 hours and so much stuff is going on! :shock: :lol:
Anyway, I don't think we'll be mining anything really. That would mean not being on adventure mode, which would mean things could be destroyed (plus I don't know about you guys but it's hard to find gold for me). The houses we made are already allowed to have two floors, it's just that not all of us have gotten around to it. As for using a new map... WHAT?! We worked so hard on all of that stuff! :( I say if there's a way to fix it without removing everything we should do it.
ImageImageImageImage
Happiness Designer
Location: In the corner of your mind, where reality and dreams clash and create a fabulous universe.

Post by Happiness Designer »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Woah, I left to work on the comic for about 19 hours and so much stuff is going on! :shock: :lol:
Anyway, I don't think we'll be mining anything really. That would mean not being on adventure mode, which would mean things could be destroyed (plus I don't know about you guys but it's hard to find gold for me). The houses we made are already allowed to have two floors, it's just that not all of us have gotten around to it. As for using a new map... WHAT?! We worked so hard on all of that stuff! :( I say if there's a way to fix it without removing everything we should do it.
I concur.
~ Colors are good. ~
Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; It is something you design for the present.
Cam-Mac

Post by Cam-Mac »

New skins are available!

The 'Four Felines' Pack:

Mr. Bigglesworth - http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3056 ... glesworth/
Res - http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3056699/res/
Fiddler - http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3056712/fiddler/
(I couldn't do the assymetrical patches of brown fur on the arms because of how the skins work!)
Keys - http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3056744/keys/

Feel free to edit them yourself - I'm inexperienced with making skins.

Oh yeah, and I don't think we should scrap all that we've done on the server, too.
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

YAY! :D

Also, I am reading the forum. I'm just observing (And writing a new design document based on what is being said).

So, it looks like there are a few options here. The first one is to start over with a new world, with normal biome generation. The second is to start over, but with plains being the only biome. The third is to just keep working on what we have now. If anyone has other suggestions, feel free to post them.

*slinks back into the shadows*
I break my computer, so you don't have to! :D
You copied my entire signature? How peculiar...
Given that AB≅AB, prove that AB≇AB.
Cam-Mac

Post by Cam-Mac »

I'm glad you like the skin!

Third option. THIRD OPTION. Let's just edit what we've done.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I guess we'll do that.
Or
write the buildings into MC Schematics (I think thats a thing) and paste them into the new world.
I can restart on the temple, anyways.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

MrNeonShot wrote:I guess we'll do that.
Or
write the buildings into MC Schematics (I think thats a thing) and paste them into the new world.
MCEDIT! THAT'S THE NAME OF THE PROGRAM I NEEDED! THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU.

That's another option.
Cam-Mac

Post by Cam-Mac »

I guess we'll do that.
Or
Sounds good.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Cam-Mac wrote:New skins are available!

The 'Four Felines' Pack:

Mr. Bigglesworth - http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3056 ... glesworth/
Res - http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3056699/res/
Fiddler - http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3056712/fiddler/
(I couldn't do the assymetrical patches of brown fur on the arms because of how the skins work!)
Keys - http://www.minecraftskins.com/skin/3056744/keys/

Feel free to edit them yourself - I'm inexperienced with making skins.

Oh yeah, and I don't think we should scrap all that we've done on the server, too.
Niiiice :)
Cam-Mac wrote:
I guess we'll do that.
Or
Sounds good.
If we can do that let's do that!... in flat plains of course. (horses everywhere!)
ImageImageImageImage
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I'm able to get on right now, if anyone else is
(and if your not preparing for thanksgiving.)

Also, about the quick chat,
I prefer skype (sorry, CHAOKO).
Google+ isn't that good.

Edit again:
Gotta eat mah Ramen!
Last edited by MrNeonShot on Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

MrNeonShot wrote:I'm able to get on right now, if anyone else is
(and if your not preparing for thanksgiving.)

Also, about the quick chat,
I prefer skype (sorry, CHAOKO).
Google+ isn't that good.
Aww, oh well. I guess I'll try to use skype, don't know if it'll work or not.
EDIT) RAMEEEEEEN! YEAH!!
ImageImageImageImage
Cam-Mac

Post by Cam-Mac »

-
Last edited by Cam-Mac on Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

AAAnnddd I don't have skype on this computer :/
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Mine's just Mason Hardison (don't know why I'm censoring it, you see my name on the comic all the time :lol: )
ImageImageImageImage
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I do? I guess I haven't looked hard enough.
I THINK my skype username is Lutra Canadensis
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

Ok everyone, I'll add you all on Skype and make a group chat (unless you guys already did so). My Skype username is yellowcrash10.
A river once sung a song about spoilers. Yes, I am a total nerd.

Also, behold the revised Minepets! 2.0 Game Plan!
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Options for moving forward in MrNeonShot's opinion:

Map:
We should create the map using World Painter, then copy the already built buildings into MC schematics, then paste them into the newly painted map.

Server: 1.6.4 with bukkit until it has been updated to the current version.

Bukkit: Use the Gringotts. That sounds like exactly what we'll need.

After we figure that stuff out in MrNeonshot's opinion:

Everything pointed out there, but my idea was
for my house, I'll live in Pete's old house, and set up King's kennel as the jail. >:)

Awesome People:
Yup, all good!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

MrNeonShot wrote:Options for moving forward in MrNeonShot's opinion:

Map:
We should create the map using World Painter, then copy the already built buildings into MC schematics, then paste them into the newly painted map.

Server: 1.6.4 with bukkit until it has been updated to the current version.

Bukkit: Use the Gringotts. That sounds like exactly what we'll need.

After we figure that stuff out in MrNeonshot's opinion:

Everything pointed out there, but my idea was
for my house, I'll live in Pete's old house, and set up King's kennel as the jail. >:)

Awesome People:
Yup, all good!
I second that!
wait, is that what that was in your house???
ImageImageImageImage
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

MrNeonShot wrote:We should create the map using World Painter, then copy the already built buildings into MC schematics, then paste them into the newly painted map.
My problem with world painter is that the map it creates will be too small for what we'll need :/

[edit] I'm going to overlay the current map over one I generated with World Painter and see if I'm out of my mind or not.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I don't know if I'll be able to get on tonight.
I might be able to.
If not, Maybe Friday?
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

Things went to town today! My Skype name is the same as the one I have here, so no spoiler needed. I can recommend some useful server plugins, (try Lockette), which can be useful.
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

First order of business: I need to add you guys to a group chat. I'll probably do this tonight, that way you guys will already be in the chat when you sign on tomorrow (if you aren't spending time with your families).

Second order of business: World Painter. I made an elaborate diagram of how this is a problem using a sad, sad excuse for a photo editor™ (also known as Paint (also known as mspaint.exe)) Did I ever tell you that I am a total geek, too?
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

I can see my house from here! :D
The map looks totally cool dude!
ImageImageImageImage
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:I can see my house from here! :D
The map looks totally cool dude!
Do you see the problem though? At the rate we're building, we would cover almost half of a map generated with World Painter, and that doesn't even include the city or the forest surrounding the map.
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Did you know you can make it bigger?

If you start a new map or 'world' you can edit the size of the area..

I've made a huge island of which you can't see from one side to the other even with far render distance with world painter..
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

~\Rook/~ wrote:Did you know you can make it bigger?

If you start a new map or 'world' you can edit the size of the area..

I've made a huge island of which you can't see from one side to the other even with far render distance with world painter..
I didn't mess with the program too much. Thanks for the tip.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Oh I see how this is now developing, great!

Also I noticed that I was promoted. :D Thanks. Now I need to install Skype, I think. ;)
EDIT: Done. I'm Render_SM

Copying the existing Houses in a new generated natural world is a great Idea. MCEdit is good for this. Maybe it should be done somewhere aside and transported ingame with WorldEdit to the new locations adjusted to the terrain. Making a new street is a matter of minutes.

-----

There exists plugins that limit the worldsize, users cannot cross the borders. I think using this might solve the problem with uncontrolled growing of the map. I will ask my friends on our server what is used best for this as some of them are well experienced.

Maybe we need a security plugin like LWC or Lockette to allow users to secure their chests. But this has plenty of time. I don't yet know what the normal user should do later on. But that is something we can discuss later when the main core is established.

Also we do not need the world restriction plugin at the moment I think. We are a few people only and building is presently in creative, when I understood it correctly. So we do not need to mine and do not need to have explore so much of the world. And I like to ask everybody not to explore as this stresses the server unnecessarily.

An anti-griefing plugin like LogBlock may also be needed later on.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

We can rebuild the forest, if it makes it easier.
Evaliae

Post by Evaliae »

My Skype is... I thiiiiiink... Llaylen. Maybe.
Hedronal

Post by Hedronal »

Render wrote:There exists plugins that limit the worldsize, users cannot cross the borders. I think using this might solve the problem with uncontrolled growing of the map. I will ask my friends on our server what is used best for this as some of them are well experienced.

Maybe we need a security plugin like LWC or Lockette to allow users to secure their chests. But this has plenty of time. I don't yet know what the normal user should do later on. But that is something we can discuss later when the main core is established.

Also we do not need the world restriction plugin at the moment I think. We are a few people only and building is presently in creative, when I understood it correctly. So we do not need to mine and do not need to have explore so much of the world. And I like to ask everybody not to explore as this stresses the server unnecessarily.

An anti-griefing plugin like LogBlock may also be needed later on.
For those needs, I do suggest the plugins lockette, coreprotect and worldborder, I have seen them function very well in their areas.
Happiness Designer
Location: In the corner of your mind, where reality and dreams clash and create a fabulous universe.

Post by Happiness Designer »

We also can use HawkEye to track if anyone griefs terrain.
~ Colors are good. ~
Happiness is not something you postpone for the future; It is something you design for the present.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Chaoko, my compliments to the Peanut-Skin. I'm presently wearing it and it was recognizes by two other users who don't even read the comic. They only know my avatar and have maybe once clicked in the comics. Image

Image Image
ImageImageImage