A Tale of Two Broadsides: A Housepets! Fanfic (PG-13)

What do you call a fic that's not a fic

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

Rollofthedice

A Tale of Two Broadsides: A Housepets! Fanfic (PG-13)

Post by Rollofthedice »

During a three-month, ongoing hiatus from my previous story, Creeping Realization, I realized three things: One, that story was heading nowhere fast; Two, it was beginning to feel quite boring to write AND read; and Three, I'm really not good with keeping a schedule.

So, I decided to come up with something different. To people who have read/still somehow remember my previous story: I have no idea if I'll ever go back to that, so don't get your hopes up. To new readers - welcome! I hope you all enjoy my attempts to entertain.

(Note: I don't know much about the intricacies of naval warfare, so forgive me if details seem inaccurate.)

A Tale of Two Broadsides
Chapter One: Revenge and Triumph

Slight waves rippled the surface of the ocean, crumpling the waterscape, as if it were a book bound with ancient and patterned leather. The deep sea stretched on at a seemingly infinite level, meeting the horizon in the far distance. The sky was devoid of clouds, and the burning orb of the sun was beginning to sink low into the skyline, lighting the world with a fiery orange light. Dolphins would occasionally leap gracefully into the air, their rubbery grey skin tinted tangerine by the sun.

Two ships signaled the end of the calm. One arrived from the west; the other, the east. The western ship’s hull had innumerable notches and knots – an entire century’s worth of history could be seen on the sturdy exterior alone. The cannons, dull over years of use, were scratched and somewhat rusted with age. The boat’s battered and worn sails of white cloth buffeted themselves warily but proudly against the wind, as sailors in ragged uniforms determinedly patrolled the ship and inspected equipment. Carved along the prow of the craft was a ten-foot long wooden rapier, with a single name engraved on each side: Anne’s Revenge.

In contrast, the eastern ship of the line was a stately thing, its hull varnished and the thirty-six brass guns polished to an almost blinding sheen. Men paraded the deck in bright, snazzy outfits; scores of silver buttons glinted in the sunlight. The prow of this ship had a figurehead – a maiden with a flowing, golden dress. On the port, just above the cannons, was the name of the vessel, along with its designated number: The Triumph 76.

Both noticed each other. Turning to their sides (Anne’s on its starboard, and Triumph’s on its port), they dropped anchor and regarded each other just ahead of cannon range. The Triumph’s first mate raised a flag, divided between red and white –

Surrender or die.

----------------------------

A feline ran over the deck of Anne’s Revenge. Pulling out his spyglass, he stood and stared at the flag being struck by the adjacent ship. Muttering curses and rubbing a paw down his exhausted, whiskered gray face, he turned to his left. Sighing, he regarded his captain.

“What do you think, captain? To be honest, it doesn’t look like we can get out of this…”

The captain regarded the Triumph, his pale blue eyes alit with curiosity. Smiling with an almost ecstatic air, he replied.

“First Mate Maxwell!” The chief exclaimed with bravado, his muzzle beginning to grin even wider. “Get me a hammer!”

Maxwell blinked once, then twice, and then smirked.

---------------------------

The captain of the Triumph 76, an aging canine with a slight limp and distinguished gait, glared out his spyglass at the Revenge. He smiled as he noticed one of the sailors, a canine with mostly light brown fur, heading for the mast. That smile quickly died, however, as he noticed what that dog was doing instead of taking the sails down.

The front sail of the ship – decorated with a worn but surprisingly ornate skull and crossbones – was being nailed to its mast.
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reminiscence: A Tale of Dreams - Complete
An Experiment - Ongoing: Story 2, 'The Babylon Incident', in progress!
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Re: A Tale of Two Broadsides: A Housepets! Fanfic (PG-13)

Post by copper »

Interesting start as always, Roll. I hope this one gets finished! :lol:

All of your stories are well done. I hope to see more of this one.
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

interesting. I suppose this was before Anne's Revenge became a Queen. and was owned by Blackbeard.

good story so far. nice, short update. my favorite kind.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

copper wrote:Interesting start as always, Roll. I hope this one gets finished! :lol:
I hope so, too.
All of your stories are well done. I hope to see more of this one.
Thanks, as always!
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:interesting. I suppose this was before Anne's Revenge became a Queen. and was owned by Blackbeard.
Uh... yes, that's exactly it! I was wondering where I got that name from...
good story so far. nice, short update. my favorite kind.
Great! It's nice to know I made a good first impression. ;)

By the by, if anyone doesn't fully understand the end of chapter one: When ships back in the Age of Sail surrendered, they would lower their national flag (As the Revenge doesn't have a national flag, being stereotypically pirate and all, I just regarded the skull and crossbones to be a 'national flag' of sorts). If a captain was determined not to surrender, however, he would have the sail nailed to the mast.

:ugeek:

Chapter 2: A Curious Coincidence

Cannons bombarded into the Triumph, the sheer impact sending two unfortunate crewmembers overboard. Anne’s Revenge was attacked in kind – Maxwell was nearly thrown off the ship - and soon the ocean reverberated with the sounds of fired guns and splintered wood. However, both ships were quite sturdy, and the distance between the ships alone made a very accurate shot rather unlikely. That didn’t stop anybody.

“This isn’t doing much at all,” The captain of the Revenge muttered. Pondering over his options, he frowned. It was too late to sail away; his crew would riot if he ran after already nailing his sails to the mast in defiance. By a sailor’s reckoning, the Triumph was faster than his ship anyway, making an escape a difficult prospect. Then, with the wind blowing hard to the west, sailing the Revenge east to attempt to board the Triumph would be both ploddingly slow and potentially suicidal. Annoyed, the dog yelled for the gunners to shoot once again.

“FIRE!”

------------------------------

The captain of the Triumph knew it was going to be a long Monday. That accursed ship still hadn’t gone down, and he had wanted to dock in Havana two days before. The dog leaned on the ship railing, taking care not to lean on his arthritic limb. He had heard the tropical air was good for the lungs. With all luck, it was good for his limp as well.

Sighing, he stood upright and hobbled over to his first mate. He winced as he stepped with his bad leg over a stray cannonball that had torn into a good third of the deck. Cursing, the canine realized how much expenses he would have to pay to get this all fixed. Hopefully he’d be able to capture the Revenge, and sail it back to the Caribbean for sale…

“Jeremiah,” the captain said, smiling tiredly. “What do you propose? The way it looks, we could just board them.”

Jeremiah blinked his dull grey eyes at the captain, and grinned back. “That would definitely be the fastest way to take them, sir. Though,” Jeremiah continued, barking a short laugh, “They look like hard fighters.”

“Good. Tell the helmsman to-“The captain paused, a curious instinct striking him. “Actually, hold that. Fire one more round.”

Jeremiah furrowed his brow. “May I ask why, sir?”

“Just a hunch I have.”

Jeremiah shrugged, and turned to the gunners.

“FIRE!”

Two full broadsides of cannons were fired, at that exact moment. Most of them failed to hit their target. Two, however, did.

Angling at exactly the right angle, at exactly the right speed, two cannonballs flew past each other. However, instead of landing on the deck, or the cabins, those two projectiles flew a bit lower than that.

Crunching into and past the hull of the ships, those two cannonballs flew directly into the gunpowder storage rooms. Explosions lit up the sky, now beginning to grow dark from the dusk. In fact, the blast could be heard for miles – if, in this broad expanse of ocean, anyone was alive to hear it.
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

Coatl_Ruu

Post by Coatl_Ruu »

Hey, you're back! And the writing is high quality, as always. Good work.

This one seems to be off to an interesting start. Housepets set in the Age of Sail ... I can say with some certainty that that's a new one. I like it. Also, explosions. =P I eagerly await your next update, Mr. Dice (or Roll, of ROTD, or... whatever inane nickname you prefer, really).
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

ships go boom. *claps and smiles like an idiot*

good update.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Coatl_Ruu wrote:Hey, you're back! And the writing is high quality, as always. Good work.
Thanks! :D I love compliments from fellow writers.
This one seems to be off to an interesting start. Housepets set in the Age of Sail ... I can say with some certainty that that's a new one. I like it. Also, explosions. =P I eagerly await your next update, Mr. Dice (or Roll, of ROTD, or... whatever inane nickname you prefer, really).
Call me whatever you want, really. It's not like I care very much.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:ships go boom. *claps and smiles like an idiot*

good update.
Thanks.

I will say 'thanks' to every nice or informative comment I get, just to show you all how much I care! ;)

Note: I hereby give anybody reading this permission to criticize the heck out of me. Whether it's syntax and diction concerns, or some confusing wording or whatever - fire away, if you've got anything. If you don't, then please consider dropping a comment on how much you like the story/chapter. I need an ego boost just as much as anybody else, after all. :lol:

Chapter 3 – Floating Fortunes

Maxwell awoke, his eyes painfully blinking away dust and ash. He found himself staring face to face with a nondescript, dull haze of brown. Groaning, the cat attempted to focus on what exactly he was looking at. With a start, he realized that he was reclining on the Revenge’s gangplank; its knotted and decrepit form was barely able to keep Maxwell above the tumultuous ocean waves. Taking care not to tip himself or the timber over, the feline turned around on his back and looked from side to side, studying his surroundings.

Innumerable amounts of splintered wood, all warped and blackened by the heat of explosions, bobbed silently in the water. Off in the distance, a few hundred feet away, a lone body was hung around the Revenge’s mast – the other hundred or so crewmembers were nowhere to be seen. No land was in sight either, and not even a single bird could be spotted flying across the blue, cloudless sky.

Maxwell stared at the wreckage surrounding him. Suddenly feeling very sick, he carefully leaned over the edge of the plank and vomited, loudly. Resting his head back after he was done, Maxwell couldn’t help but let weakness overtake him. Almost before he closed his eyes, everything went black.

“Hey! C’mon, wake up!”

Water lapped at Maxwell’s feet, and the sun beat down on him with a ferocity he had not even recalled as a sailor. Opening his eyes, the cat coughed, choking up water from his lungs. Blankly, he wondered what had happened to the gangplank he was lying on, and how long he had been out.

After a few minutes of solid gagging, he looked up at the animal that had awoken him.

“Captain?” Maxwell questioned, with as much relief in his hoarse voice as he could muster. The captain of the former Anne’s Revenge looked down, an unreadable expression on his face.

“Look, just call me… Peanut.”

Maxwell stared. After a moment, he began to giggle a hysterical and somewhat desperate laugh. The effort soon made him dizzy, however, so after a few seconds he just laid there and smirked.

“What is it?” Peanut asked, somewhat concerned.

“That name,” Maxwell said quietly. “It’s so stupid.”

Grinning at Peanut’s legitimately shocked expression, the feline attempted to sit up. The entire world spun around Maxwell, and he laid his head back on the ground with a thump.

“Hey, don’t try to move very much right now, okay?” Peanut looked around, slightly panicked. “You must be starving. Jeez, I must be starving.”
The dog headed away from the coastline. “If we’re lucky, we landed near a Caribbean city,” He shouted to Maxwell. “Even if we’re not, there’s got to be food somewhere on this island - you just stay there, okay?” Not waiting for an answer, he pressed on.

Maxwell kept on the sand, not really having the strength to move to begin with. Staring up at the sky – now populated with a few clouds – he chuckled softly.

“Peanut…”

Feeling overwhelmingly weak once again, Maxwell shut his eyes and felt everything fade away.
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I thought that captain looked like Peanut. So is this like a past life or something, or are the name and appearance a coincidence?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:So is this like a past life or something, or are the name and appearance a coincidence?
I like to think of it as an 'alternate universe' of sorts, personally. I like the idea of past life/wacky reincarnation too, though. Whatever floats your boat, really.

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Rollofthedice wrote:floats your boat, really.
get it? because pirate ships? *looking for lame puns where there are none*
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Great story once again! And here I thought you were going for a twist ending where it turns out it is all just an Imaginate story! :lol:

I wonder when Grape appears, if ever...
My characters
FowlJ

Post by FowlJ »

Very interesting. You don't see terribly many Alternate Universe stories that have the potential to actually be good - I'm quite pleasantly surprised.

Also : I'm guessing that if Grape appears she was a crew member on the other ship. Just placing my bet on that.
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

copper wrote: I wonder when Grape appears, if ever...

I'm certainly rattling some thoughts around, so don't worry - she'll more likely than not be showing up sooner or later.
FowlJ wrote:Very interesting. You don't see terribly many Alternate Universe stories that have the potential to actually be good - I'm quite pleasantly surprised.
It's nice to know I'm going beyond expectations! Hopefully, I won't disappoint later on.
Also : I'm guessing that if Grape appears she was a crew member on the other ship. Just placing my bet on that.
We'll see... Stories should challenge at least some predictions, after all. Should.

I'll be getting an update out later today. I'm in school right now (Shh! Don't tell my substitute!), and have Speech/Drama/Debate practice afterwards, so hopefully I won't be too tired when I get home.

Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Sorry for the delay - I was busy writing another story all night. This is the longest chapter I've made so far, at least.

Chapter 4: Grand Bahaman Blues

“…Oh, wake up, you…”

Maxwell’s eyes shot open, fast as a fired bullet. Peanut started backwards, tripping over a duly colored seashell and landing hard on the sand to the left of the cat.

“Don’t do that!” He yelled, shakily setting down a bushel of bananas and a solitary coconut. Maxwell grabbed them with surprising speed, ripping off the banana peels and breaking open the coconut faster than it took for Peanut to regain his wits. After devouring it all in less than two minutes, Maxwell finally started to feel some energy in him.

“You’re lucky I already ate a bushel,” Peanut muttered, getting back up on his feet. “Hey, you think you can stand? I took a quick look around, and there’s a small town to the north. Eleuthera, I think? Barely any buildings, really, but a ton of ships; it looks like a pirate hive. Maybe we can get aboard a ship or something.”

Bracing himself, Maxwell sat up. He swayed for a moment, disoriented, but soon got on his knees and pushed himself up to a standing position.

“Yeah, that’ll work,” The feline said sarcastically. “We’ll just walk on up to a ship’s captain and explain our situation. ‘Hello there! Look, our ship just horrifically exploded under factors that may or may not have been under our control – do you mind if we just stay on yours for a little while? *Gasp!* What do you mean no?’ They’ll probably think we’re cursed, you know.”

Peanut frowned. “If you have any better ideas, I’m open to suggestions.”

Grumbling in response, Maxwell trod to the shantytown.

An awkward and stifling silence punctuated the dusty road to the dock. Wiry, disgustingly unkempt cats and dogs leaned on the various shacks that surrounded the beaten path. They stared warily at two passersby, sizing them up in case of concealed wealth or weapons. It was a wasted effort; Peanut and Maxwell were too obviously helpless and desperate to be considered for a mugging. Nevertheless, the animals kept their eyes open, if purely for safety’s sake. One learns to be careful in a buccaneer haven, after all, no matter the circumstance.

The dock itself was a pitiful thing, barely even recognizable for one - save for a ramshackle and rotting warehouse built near the ocean. The foul smells of spoiled meat and foodstuffs emanated from within its depths. Perhaps because of this, the only animals that bothered to go near the place were rats and assorted varieties of cockroaches. Several ships lined the beach, dumping unwanted cargo and otherwise allowing their sailors to find a serviceable drink.

The duo headed towards the largest ship they could find. In the center of all the ships, dwarfing the other sloops in the harbor was a weather-beaten but quite serviceable galleon. For pirates, sailing a ship of that size was somewhat of an oddity; it was rather difficult to capture a vessel employed by a country’s military, and it was more expedient to own a fast and maneuverable ship as opposed to a large, bulky one with more firepower. Nevertheless, the Jolly Roger was presented proudly on the front mast, beckoning to Peanut and Maxwell as a second opportunity. The vessel itself was in an almost pristine condition, save for many light scratches on the hull of the ship. Many planks of wood were toned differently from the others, indicating new repairs. Etched on the bow were the words “Thespis.”

A canine stood in front of the wooden plank that acted as the walkway to the Revenge. Light purple eyes staring intently at the ground, he muttered to himself in irritation. Peanut only caught snippets of his words, most of them fiendishly creative curses involving a captain, a gunpowder deck, and lit matches. Peanut walked up to try and start a conversation. Maxwell stood just behind him, old reflexes regarding ship hierarchy taking hold. The dog looked up from his reverie, his body tense underneath his grey and white fur.

“What do you want?” He asked, annoyed. Peanut wasted no time elaborating.

“I’m Peanut, and the cat behind me is Maxwell. We’d like to sign up on your ship, captain.”

The other canine barked out a short, harsh laugh. “Psh, I wish I was the captain. I’d be better than that stupid, no good son of…” He continued his tirade for a good five minutes. Peanut patiently stood to attention, while Maxwell rolled his eyes and counted the individual grains on the beach.

“No, I’m just the first mate. Anyway,” the gray canine continued, “Do you know how many people, down on their luck, ask to board our ship? You’re even wearing rags!”

Peanut winced. He’d forgotten the state of his clothes after the shipwreck – though he admitted it wasn’t as if he had money to pay for a good outfit anymore.

“Do you even have any experience?” The Thespis’ first mate questioned.

“Yes, sir,” Peanut replied. “Maxwell and I were onboard the Anne’s Revenge until what I assume to have been a stray cannonball hit the gunpowder deck.” Peanut, with his experience as a captain, could be perceptive enough when he needed to be. He took care not to mention he had any of that experience; a former captain as a sailor on a ship opens up bad rivalries.

The first mate sighed. “Well, you can’t be the worst recruits. You are in Grand Bahama, of course. If you weren’t a pirate, you’d be a prisoner.”

Maxwell shot a dark look at Peanut, one that said “You thought we were in Eleuthera!” The dog struggled not to look sheepish, and simply stared at the first mate, awaiting his response.

“Fine,” He said, resigned. “Get on. They’ll be a sword or two scrounged up for you both.”

Peanut grinned. “Thank you, sir!” Climbing into the Thespis, he dragged Maxwell behind him. A thought struck him, however, and he turned around. “Hold on – what’s your name, sir!”

The first mate looked back.

“Just call me Fox!” He said. Peanut nodded, and hopped onto the deck.
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

let me guess. Captain Bino?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
DoctorDoc

Post by DoctorDoc »

Great update! I'm loving where this is going.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:let me guess. Captain Bino?
That would be awesome. :lol:
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

who else would have Fox as a first mate, make him curse like that, and have a temperament like a lit match on the gunpowder deck?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Definitely Bino.... maybe King.

Fox is always second, huh?
My characters
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Status Update:

Due to school, a stomach flu and general laziness, I haven't gotten around to finishing the next chapter yet. It'll show up sooner or later, though, so don't worry.

Just thought I'd give a head's up, to the dozen or so people that might be waiting. :lol:

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Always waiting, never enough.... :lol:

Take your time, really. This is good enough to wait for.
My characters
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Well, I guess it has been later, at least.

Chapter 5: If You Give an Angry Animal the Equipment to Practice Destructive Tendencies

Peanut and Maxwell, both standing next to the Thespis' boarding ramp to the dock, waited for a superior to address them on what exactly their job was. Peanut suspected he was rather stupid for not asking Fox that to begin with. He felt it was a bit too late for that, however, as soon as he saw the first mate drawing a vaguely canine face in the sand, covering it with animal lard, and setting it on fire with a torch.

To Maxwell, it felt as if he was waiting for a month - the feline took to chatting with Peanut about mundane or tangential things, like the weather, or whether pig fat could help win sieges. It seemed almost as if the crew-members of the Thespis were intentionally ignoring the duo, and Maxwell grew frustrated. Annoyed, he grabbed Peanut by the arm and walked towards the nearest sailor he could find: an orange-furred dog with a curious dark purple sash adorning his waist. He was pacing besides the cannons on the starboard side of the ship, checking them to see if they were functional. (Rust, after all, could be very pervasive.)

The fire on the beach caught to a few wayward planks, washed up from the Caribbean Sea. Peanut craned his head to glance at the sight, and, chuckling, noticed Fox sprinting towards what seemed to be the tavern.

Maxwell, meanwhile, attempted to strike up a conversation with the gunner.

"Ah... Excuse me," The feline said, tapping the dog's shoulder lightly.

The canine spun around with an almost preternatural speed, startling Maxwell and causing him to trip over a plank not quite level with the rest. As he got up, he noticed the gunner staring with golden eyes, confused by the cat's ragged appearance and sheer existence on the Thespis.

"Hello," Maxwell began, with an apologetic grin. "Me and my friend Peanut here," he said, pointing to Peanut, "Got your first mate to let us aboard. He didn't really care to tell us what to do, though, or where swords, or proper clothing and armor is."

Flames caught on dead seaweed, winding away from the Thespis. The gunner blinked at Maxwell, but composed himself, and smiled. Maxwell suppressed a shudder - there was something strange in the dog's eyes; something barely repressed.

"You'll probably want to talk to the captain, or Fox. Well, okay, probably just Fox. Captain's hard to catch in a good mood."

The canine paused, closing his eyes. After a minute, he opened them, and Maxwell could see a dangerous glint inside.

"My name's Tiger, by the way," the gunner said, pronouncing his name as if it was a cancer. Maxwell would've sniggered at it, but he felt a sudden and certain fondness for his head remaining on his neck.

"Maxwell," Peanut said, with a very strange, tense tone in his voice. "Turn around."
Maxwell did, and his eyes widened.

The fire, born by animal lard on a portrait of sand, was done with seaweed and planks. It had now meandered its way toward a certain large building; one filled with decomposing fish and rotted sailing equipment. Maxwell's brain, in a rather odd train of thought, realized that it had not ever really thought about how flammable sextants truly were. Peanut's mind, in contrast, was busy screaming.

Maxwell then noticed something, in the corner of his eye. Turning his head, he saw Fox, dragging some very drunk crew-members along with him.

"PREPARE TO SET SAIL!" The first mate screamed desperately, some meters away from the Thespis. The members who were on the ship and still sober complied, lifting the anchor and rigging the masts as fast as they possibly could, so that as soon as Fox had stepped on the ship and thrown his plastered shipmates on the deck, the Thespis was off.

The captain awoke with a splitting headache. Cursing, the dog felt the familiar rocking of the ship beneath him, as he crawled out of his straw bed. Through the painful haze of his senses, he irritably remembered that the Thespis was supposed to be docked. Clutching his head, the captain opened the door that exited his chambers to the upper deck.

He took a few minutes, only a few, to stare at the raging inferno that now lined the eastern shore of Grand Bahama.

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

fun. Time to run from the angry pirate town, eh?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Yay! This is back up! I am happy for that.

So we meet Tiger..... who in their right mind made HIM the gunner?
My characters
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:fun. Time to run from the angry pirate town, eh?
Let's just say it's safe to assume the Thespis won't be coming back any time soon. :D
copper wrote:Yay! This is back up! I am happy for that.

So we meet Tiger..... who in their right mind made HIM the gunner?
Either someone incredibly stupid, or someone just mad enough to be brilliant. Take a guess! :lol:

Chapter 6: Tension

The captain closed his eyes, and shook a little bit. Maxwell found it strangely interesting watching the canine's facial expression switch from shock to livid rage, as he slowly stalked over to Fox.

"What..." The dog began to whisper, "Is GOING ON HERE!?"

The cries of the seabirds and the waves of the ocean itself seemed to quiet. Almost the entire crew of the Thespis, interested by the spectacle, stopped paying attention to the ship and its maintenance and listened intently. Fox swallowed nervously, trying his utmost to maintain eye contact.

"Well, it seems as if there was a problem at the warehouse," he said slowly.

"What problem?" The captain asked.

"It might have caught on fire."

The captain stared, dumbfounded with rage. Fox began to feel a headache coming in.

"Look, Bino, I can explain –"

"I don't need an explanation." Bino sighed, tense. "Look, I'm willing to give you a bit of slack. You've been a, well, decent first mate so far, so maybe I'll wait a bit to throw you to the sharks."

Fox gritted his teeth, his face rigid with self-control. Peanut noticed, and began to wonder how much it would take for the canine to snap.

"Though, you'll have to make this up to me. The locals must've seen us sail off ahead of their burning warehouse, after all."

"I under-"

"Anyway," Bino said, "Due to the circumstances of your employment, I believe you owe me already."

------------------

A long silence penetrated the air. Maxwell, reclining his back on the spar of the ship's mast, caught a strange fire glinting off of Fox's eyes.

"I thought we agreed not to discuss that," Fox said, his voice eerily quiet. Bino smirked in reply.

"Is it really a surprise that a pirate would break a promise?"

Fox stood silent, simply staring at the captain.

After a minute, he relaxed, with a sedate expression on his face. Smiling almost apologetically, he lowered his head and stared at the knotted deck of the Thespis.

"You're right, of course," He said. "In fact, maybe I can help fix my mistakes right now."

Slowly, with a sad and fading smile on his face, Fox reached into his leather vest and pulled out a dull brass locket. In a roughly spherical shape, the pendant seemed more a product of affection than skill.

"It's my only souvenir from before my employment," Fox said softly, and clicked the locket open.

Every crewmember except Fox gasped, as finely-cut sapphires and diamonds sparkled in the Caribbean sun.

"You can have it," Fox said. "It's not worth much to me anymore."

Eyes wide, Bino reached for the locket, his hands shaking with excitement and greed. Leaning forward, Maxwell noticed an initial engraved in the center. From his somewhat distant position at the mast, however, the feline could not determine what letter it was.

------------------

Fox outstretched his right hand, the dangling chain of the necklace swaying in the ocean wind. The crew of the Thespis seemed to lean forward in breathless anticipation.

Then, just as Bino was about to grab his prize, Fox closed his paw. Bino stared, in confusion.

Fox smiled as if one would to a dear friend, and promptly punched Bino in the face.
Last edited by Rollofthedice on Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Rollofthedice wrote:
copper wrote:So we meet Tiger..... who in their right mind made HIM the gunner?
Either someone incredibly stupid, or someone just mad enough to be brilliant. Take a guess! :lol:
I guess the first one because I think it was Bino. ^_^

and Bino deserved that.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Mutiny aboard the Bounty, Thespis! I meant Thespis! :lol:

Great chapter to a great fanfic! I like the entire adventure.

Bino..... go figure.
My characters
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Chapter 7: Hesitance

Peanut hadn't seen someone punch so hard since that time his (now former, the dog realized with a wince) head gunner had a scuffle with Jimmy 'Deathly-Afraid-of-Coconuts' Rodriguez. The nickname was given afterwards, of course. Jimmy hadn't liked to talk about it.

Fox stood over the prone body of Bino. Hurriedly pocketing his locket and grabbing a spare piece of rope lying on the deck, the first mate proceeded to bind and gag the unconscious captain. Peanut, curious, walked over and stood next to Fox.

"What'cha going to do to him, sir?" He asked. Fox took a quick glance at Peanut, but quickly reaffixed his glare back on Bino.

"Well, I'd love to throw him overboard," Fox said, "But that'd be too... easy."

Fox furrowed his brow in thought.

"Hm, where could I dump hi-"

Fox paused. An epiphany lit in his lavender eyes; his hands bore the faintest of tremors.

"Sir?" Peanut asked, concerned.

"Havana," Fox said, quietly. He turned around, and addressed the crew.

"HAVANA! WE SET SAIL TO HAVANA!"

-----------

The Thespis swayed inside Havana's bustling port, as dozens of crewmembers tried to push their way out of the ship and into the pier. Fox didn't bother to join in, and simply leaned over a part of the ship's starboard balustrade railings. Sighing, he regarded the town.

It looked the same as Fox had seen it a year ago - Gigantic and choked with animals. Fifty thousand voices could be heard arguing, laughing and screaming, while the clangs of blacksmith's hammers and the dull thumps of fistfights added a variety to the noise. Ramshackle buildings seemed to cover any unoccupied square centimeter of territory, and appeared as if a light breeze would send them collapsing and flying into the ocean. An occasional glass or table would be seen being thrown out of a rowdy bar.

After the pirates had finally shuffled out of the way of the gangplank, Fox grabbed the now conscious and struggling Bino. Dragging him onto the dock, he headed to the local guard’s outpost.

---------

Most would be surprised if a roped-up pirate was dumped at their feet. The captain of the guard, however, was almost too used to the sight. Fox just looked at the chief, and smirked.

“Remember Bino?” Fox said.

The captain did. About six months previously, some dog drunkenly set fire to every bar in the waterfront. Soon afterward, a ship had pulled out of the docks; it wasn’t hard to put two and two together. The bound canine in front of him seemed to fit the description set forward by other guards.

Fox left before the captain could get any questions in. Shrugging his shoulders, the leader of Havana’s sentry lifted Bino up by the feet and led him toward the prisons.

----------

Fox, after leaving the garrison, headed further away from the docks. The dirt roads he traversed began to morph into a rough cobblestone, and rickety shacks became moderately sturdy, well-built homes.

Fox paused in front of such a home. Hands trembling, he slowly made to knock on the door, ready to be reacquainted with a life he hadn't seen in a year.

copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

Another wonderful update. You have a knack for painting the scene.

So Fox is heading back home... wonder if he is the Governor's son or something.
My characters
Karl

Post by Karl »

Though Bino is a nasty pirate here, I hope he will be okay and won't spend rest of his life in jail.
I'm a bookworm!
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Karlos wrote:Though Bino is a nasty pirate here, I hope he will be okay and won't spend rest of his life in jail.
Well, while I was considering it a nice way to remove Bino from the story - maybe they'll be a jailbreak, or some other way to involve him. If the readers are so nice, after all, why can't the story be? :D
copper wrote: So Fox is heading back home... wonder if he is the Governor's son or something.
I'm thinking long and hard about the next chapter, actually. There's a few ways to take this, and the way I want to go may be a bit... questionable. I'll IM or Skype you tomorrow about it, if I still have doubts.

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Interesting. but One does not simply walk into a life they haven't seen in a year.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets