Write Like A Writer: Fan Fiction Guidelines

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Write Like A Writer: Fan Fiction Guidelines

Post by NHWestoN »

Kikko the Kangaroo was a Paul Terry character back in the 20s and 30s.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Now I am interested in looking him up and seeing if there is any media about him still around.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

I kind of feel conflicted about my current idea for a fic. I feel that parts are WAY too dark, yet others are WAY too well, babyish? I dunno, my current tone feels mixed.

Like, one scene I was thinking about killing off a major character dies (no blood or gore, that would be against forum rules and even I don't have the stomach for that kind of thing), but the next scene is two characters having a ball. It feels... Wrong, somehow? Like the tone is off. That's even mentioning the story I have in mind, which is gonna be totally bonkers.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix the tone? Or is it fine?
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Probably best to send a sample of what you are going to post in your fanfic to one of the mods (Diss, Obbl, Sleet, D-Rock, Hagus or SeanWolf) and see if they think it is fine and not pushing it.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Having the tone be a mess can be done for comedy, and quite frankly seems really in line with Imaginate in general. I say go for it ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have never seen an Imaginate! that took itself too seriously I will say.
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

I just had a thought for a possible fan film that would be based off my Kingkaiger Fan Series that could also be a glorified effects reel of a live action fan film series is this workaround: As long as the Kingkaigers never take off their helmet or demorph into their actual civilian forms, it would prevent any assortment of quagmires when it comes to the Housepets Characters having illegal fursuits exist in general, even if the said fursuits are specifically intended for making Tokusatsu.

Yes, I still have the comedy of errors that is "Bootleg King goes to a furry convention and gets banned from all conventions because he infringed copyright" engrained in my mind. Hence why I'm aiming to make all new forms for all the housepets characters, remade physically into "Genericised, most likely Mass Produced Rangers."

Just letting you know about my workaround plan when it comes to preventing any sort of quagmires involving bringing to existance any and all illegal fursuits of all the Housepets webcomic characters.

An anecdote related to illegal fursuits situation I'm looking to avoid getting involved with and also releated the various series including Kingkaiger itself is a article about Toei pulling a successful raid against a then 39-year old company head who's criminal felonies (much like the story of the illegal King fursuit) involves making (among other bogus articles of cosplay) Chinese made, unauthorized gokaiger cosplay.
Sorry, just thought I'm make my discussion on fursuits' legality when it comes to housepets live action fan films (like... Guess Who...) as well as spark a discussion on if Housepets fursuits are even legal as long as it stays within the confines of fan work.
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:30 pm I kind of feel conflicted about my current idea for a fic. I feel that parts are WAY too dark, yet others are WAY too well, babyish? I dunno, my current tone feels mixed.

Like, one scene I was thinking about killing off a major character dies (no blood or gore, that would be against forum rules and even I don't have the stomach for that kind of thing), but the next scene is two characters having a ball. It feels... Wrong, somehow? Like the tone is off. That's even mentioning the story I have in mind, which is gonna be totally bonkers.

Anyone have any ideas on how I can fix the tone? Or is it fine?
Take a look at the Christmas "Imaginate" which ends with Peanut running another character through with a sword - and that particular imaginate IS seriously bonkers!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Overall tone is a tricky one to figure out. If both scenes are involving the same character, it could be jarring. If it’s different groups, it’d still work. If the former, it could still work if the survivors are still affected by what happened.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah there is no way you would be able to get away one character seeing someone die and then having a ball in the next scene they are on. At the very LEAST they need to be a little bit traumatized and have some thoughts to work through.
Harry Johnathan

I'm beginning to wonder if my ficcie, Housepets the Movie, is too boring.

I noticed while rereading the early bits that I seemed to spend a lot of time focusing on stuff that didn't really matter. I couldn't fit in all the stuff I wanted to, like Res and the Pridelands, quite a bit of Tarot and Peanut's realtionship, and literally anything to do with Bailey, because the other stuff ate up a LOT of page space.

I'm also worrying if the fic can get.... too dark, at times. In the fic, I rewrote Pete to make him more of a villain and less sympathetic than the comic version. (I went into the fic attempting to make it so that people who had no clue what Housepets! even was would be able to understand it; hence, if was styled like a big studio movie script). However, I began to wonder, especially around the later updates, if I had gone too far: Pete's goal in the fic's story was to eradicate the human race (for the dubious 'benefit' of animal rights) and eat their remains, and I'm honestly surprised a mod didn't PM me on the spot saying "Delete that, that's going too far!". Can't forget Zach getting kidnapped, Officer Shaw's insane laughter during the interrogation scene and the (admittedly lifted from Valerio's fic) messed up history of the Whiteman House!

Also, the characters felt somewhat.... same? King and Fox's dialouge at points could be shuffled around (a rather ludicrous example was when I somehow managed to give dialouge meant for Tarot to MAX.) It's ironic that Bino, of all people, actually became the most comic accurate character in there; everyone else's personalities were kinda off kilter. This is a problem I have with a lot of my writing; my characters tend to be nothing but tools for the plot, but that's just how I was taught to write. Sometimes, the story could also feel a tad oversentimental; how many times is Peanut going to proclaim his love for Tarot, or Duke going to cry over Henry's passing, or Marvin going to go on a long winded speech about the Arbelt family. Also, the Jehovah scene (lifted from The Last Crusade) felt a bit repetitive, but I have to put my knowledge of Hebrew to some use.

I dunno. I have a bad habit to punch myself up about dumb things. Is my fic alright, or are my own criticisms valid? I feel like an idiot just posting this. :oops:

Also, Valerio please don't kill me for using Father Ghetti and Brother Lazarus.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Your criticisms are vaild, but the fic is also totally fine ;)
Just enjoy making art. Write your fic, then see what you would improve and take that lesson into your next work. I've already seen that you're trying to improve the tone and strike a dark but still fun balance, and if I'm noticing the effort you're putting into that, it must be working :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm actually noticing it too and it makes me jealous that you can do it easily. xD Just make sure to keep up the good work!
Harry Johnathan

All right. I kinda need this. I need to know.

I want you guys to tell me what I did wrong in my fanfic The Housepets™ Chronicles. I need to know what I did that you guys did not like at all. I'm curious. I want to improve. Don't be nice about it. Be constructive with the criticism, but be honest.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Was Rufus a particular breed of dog? I don’t remember if it was canon.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Harry Johnathan

trekkie wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 1:57 pm Was Rufus a particular breed of dog? I don’t remember if it was canon.
Blue Merle, Austrailan Shepherd.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Thanks! I thought so, but didn’t remember for sure.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

To be fair, I don't really think any of us are able to remember all the specifics when it comes to breeds and are just here to enjoy the comic.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I’m actually at fanfic where Max decides to stay on the farm, so I needed to know Rufus’s breed. Has it ever been established what breed Joey, Bino, and Fido are? They are purebred because Bino showed Duchess his purebred papers when they became boyfriend/girlfriend.

Harry Johnathan

I think their just mutts. I don't really remember anything about Bino giving Duchess purebred papers.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I imagine she’d know if they were fake by now. https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... this-joke/
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Considering that she probably has papers of her own and would know a forgery if she sees one plus the fact that I doubt Bino could make a good forgery, I am pretty sure that they are genuine if Duchess even entertains using him as a punching bag.