Write Like A Writer: Fan Fiction Guidelines

Now with new GALLERY

Moderators: Hagus, SeanWolf

NHWestoN

Re: Write Like A Writer: Fan Fiction Guidelines

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote:
JamesTCat wrote:I have a stupid idea. What if an end of the world mad max styled apocalypse was caused by Fat Daryl eating any "Doomsday Dish" that will guarantee him the dishonor of ripping "the fart that ended of the world." A dish such as a "Seven Layer Quessarito Chipotle Beefy Nacho Supreme."

I know, it's stupid, immature and i have been afraid of stating it outright on the forums.
Dude...that sounds awesome!
"a REAL GAS" as they used to say back in the 70s.... :|
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I never got that saying because when I think gas, I think something a lot more cruder. ;)
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Okay, a couple questions:

How explicit can we get with suicidal thoughts and/or statements? I don’t intend to have any character commit suicide or attempt it, but I did want to ask.

Can crime be featured so long as it isn’t glorified or gory?

If I am reading the rules right blood and injuries can be featured so long as they aren’t described in gory detail, correct?

Thank you for your time.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

trekkie wrote:Okay, a couple questions:

How explicit can we get with suicidal thoughts and/or statements? I don’t intend to have any character commit suicide or attempt it, but I did want to ask.

Can crime be featured so long as it isn’t glorified or gory?

If I am reading the rules right blood and injuries can be featured so long as they aren’t described in gory detail, correct?

Thank you for your time.
You're correct about blood and injuries. To use a food analogy, instead of saying "The spaghetti sauce and noodles fell out of the bowl and splattered against the floor in a very squishy manner", say "The sauce fell out of the bowl and onto the ground" (I know it's odd but only thing I thought of).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Might have been the only thing you thought of but it does get your point across.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

trekkie wrote:Okay, a couple questions:

Would much rather that be avoided.
trekkie wrote:Can crime be featured so long as it isn’t glorified or gory?
I'd say so.
trekkie wrote:If I am reading the rules right blood and injuries can be featured so long as they aren’t described in gory detail, correct?
Yes, that is correct.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Thanks D-Rock, and SeanWolf!
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Can we do an “alternative history” story, that is, a story where we change events in an arc ?

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't see why you couldn't. Just as long as you follow the general rules and keep it friendly for everybody and enjoyable it should be OK. Valerio (I think) had a fanfiction where the events of Grape asking Max out at the farm didn't happen and resulted in Peanut and Grape getting together instead.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Indeed. You're allowed to come up with "what-ifs?" if you want. Yeah, Valerio's work had that, and I recall Buster for a time had one for if King accidentally chose to return to his human life.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Thanks, Dayzee and D-Rock!

JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Okay, since Lois is a Lynx now, is it okay to reference that mythical legend of Lynxes peeing gemstones?

(Source is: Topsell, History of Foure-footed Beasts, pg 493)
Challenge James T Cat in SMASH Ultimate plus Switch Online: SW-2695-1793-4587
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

JamesTCat wrote:Okay, since Lois is a Lynx now, is it okay to reference that mythical legend of Lynxes peeing gemstones?

(Source is: Topsell, History of Foure-footed Beasts, pg 493)
Better'n kidney stones ... by s long shot!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Ehhhhhh, I'd say no.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I didn't even know honestly that a lynx had a lore that it could urinate gemstones. :shock:
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Would it be permitted to show abuse, provided it wasn’t depicted graphically or glorified?

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would say you would have to be very careful. The comic did show some scenes of violence but it was never really explicit. Apparently Fox beat the living daylights out of Joel but we only saw 4 or 5 scenes.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

At most, I'd say it's best to just say that it happens, rather than describe it in explicit detail. Also, sometimes in media, it's implied, but we only see the aftermath, i.e. injuries such as bruises.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote:At most, I'd say it's best to just say that it happens, rather than describe it in explicit detail. Also, sometimes in media, it's implied, but we only see the aftermath, i.e. injuries such as bruises.
A lot happens off-stage in comics and cartoons - they often seem to result in bruising, I've noticed.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

It would also probably be best if the injuries weren't described in too much gruesome details also I'm assuming.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Do Max and Bino have last names, and if not could we assign them a name? I could have feedback from a microphone obscure the last name if the answer is no. It's not a huge deal but I did want to know before I wrote out that chapter.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Neither Jeff nor Jake's last name has been given (so nothing about Bino, Max, or Joey), but feel free to make up a last name. Your fic can adhere as strongly or loosely to canon as you want ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I find it strange how some of the characters don't have their first names or their surnames revealed after all this time but I guess that they aren't that important.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Can we write a different version of a story we are currently writing so long as it confirms to all the rules ?

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Why not? It's fanfic :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is sort of what Sean is doing with his as it goes in a different direction after the Temple Crashers 2 arc. But only TOTALLY off rails. :geek:
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Just something I'm going to ask about so here goes:

Not only am I working on Kingkaiger but also a Sonic The Hedgehog type game that crosses over Kingkaiger with the Sonic Games. I am doing everything from the ground up. Things such as sprite sheets, character abilities, bosses, enemies, level ports and new levels, coding, the engine, the ability to make user mods, it's own file extension for mods, retroarch compatibility, just... Everything humanly possible in order to aim to be the next John Carmack, Yuji Naka and whoever else is possible.

It will take a lot of time to do it properly but it will be finished by the 100th anniversary season of Super Sentai.

To make it a long story short... Can I make a thread detailing the progress of the Kingkaiger "Sonic Game" much like the "Tales of Babylon Gardens" Development thread at some point after a large amount of work is done on the engine? Sorry if I had to ask.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

If you think we'll still be around in 50 years and that you'll still want to be working on this project when you're 80, then go for it. It is a fan project
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm hoping that we will be around that long and that you will be writing a fan-fiction when you are 80 because that would be awesome and there are older authors out there.
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Obbl wrote:If you think we'll still be around in 50 years and that you'll still want to be working on this project when you're 80, then go for it. It is a fan project
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm hoping that we will be around that long and that you will be writing a fan-fiction when you are 80 because that would be awesome and there are older authors out there.
Thanks Dayzee. I will continue work on Kingkaiger! At least you alone will still be a audience despite everyone else having witnessed the Tokusatsu formula.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Can we use brand names at all?

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah! Why would there be a problem?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm thinking some people might think it would be because Rick when he draws out the comic doesn't use that many brand names.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

What Dayzee said, basically. I don’t want to get the site in trouble with anyone, might be silly of. E but I do tend to worry a lot.

Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Coke, Pepsi, Google, Playstation, Wilson, DiGiorno, Kleenex, Speedo, Dumpster, Q-Tips are all brand names that exist, and because they exist, you can reference their existence. Because they are brand names, you can't try to sell something with the same (or too similar a) name in order to confuse people. ;)
Obbl is not a lisenced law expert and will likely get you sued into and out of orbit if you take his legal advice beyond this extremely simplified layspeak
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Don't worry (and I say this as a joke). I don't think you have to worry about ANYBODY taking legal advice from you. :mrgreen:
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

Can Popcorn be the trademark favorite food for the entire Kingkaiger fanfiction for both the in universe characters and the viewers as well?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

For your writing, sure, do what you want. You can't decide for the viewers, though.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I will give you that I like popcorn but it isn't necessarily my favorite food or my trademark (I would like to think steak is mine. :mrgreen: )
JamesTCat

Post by JamesTCat »

What you're looking at is "K.O." Katy Kangaroo. (Art by Bud The Wolf on Deviantart( I am planning on writing a Transformed Hero Story where one wishing well coin transformed a person who have just played the Kangaroo Arcade Game and uses the coin to be Katy Kangaroo. Hence as soon as the smegpost of a wish is made, and he is reincarnated into a Female Kangaroo, specifically that of Katy Kangaroo as if she evolved throughout a hyperbole franchise of installments throughout the video game generations.

Yes, it will take place in the housepets! universe.