Dylan
Box Fox

Re: Another bit of fanart

Post by Dylan »

Make Pasta not war.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Now we wait for Buck to come in saying "(random letters) I ALREADY FOUND THIS (long time) AGO! DO NONE OF YOU CHECK THE INFO TOPIC?"
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Ebly wrote:Now we wait for Buck to come in saying "(random letters) I ALREADY FOUND THIS (long time) AGO! DO NONE OF YOU CHECK THE INFO TOPIC?"
That is the best part of the day.
Make Pasta not war.
Sketcherofstuff

Post by Sketcherofstuff »

Dylan wrote:Hey, lookie what I found.

http://darksideofthesun13.deviantart.co ... -116680466
those are good :)
i wish that my stuff looked better on paper- it always gets sloppy cause i use crappy archaic colored pencils :(
Daniel Plainview- I DRINK YOUR MILSHAKE!
Sinder wrote: Max can't snort catnip off Grape's chest? :(
Here Comes The Fuzz
Foldo

Post by Foldo »

Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

Talking about Sabrina in the IRC...this sums it.
By jondflores at 2009-12-27
Make Pasta not war.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Dylan wrote:Talking about Sabrina in the IRC...this sums it.
Now, why do y'all have to go having the good conversations when I'm not in the IRC? :lol:
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
2MKc

Post by 2MKc »

Hi, I like to draw dog breeds in a Housepets style.

(It's okay to request me to do more)
Attachments
Here's one I did.
Here's one I did.
chihuahua.GIF (5.5 KiB) Viewed 18972 times
Dylan
Box Fox

Post by Dylan »

That looks really nice, just a bit of coloring and I bet it looks great!
Make Pasta not war.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Yes, your drawing skills are good, however, the dimensions are wrong. The head is too big, the legs too short. You should take care of the dimensions. If you do, your pictures will be great :).
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

Foldo

Post by Foldo »

... And perhaps you should choose a file format more convenient than the .gif ... (example: .png) :geek:
2MKc

Post by 2MKc »

Alex wrote:Yes, your drawing skills are good, however, the dimensions are wrong. The head is too big, the legs too short. You should take care of the dimensions. If you do, your pictures will be great :).
Dude, it's a Chihuahua! don't you get it?
The Game

Post by The Game »

2MKc wrote:
Dude, it's a Chihuahua! don't you get it?
lol :lol: :lol:
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

I for one, welcome out new Chihuahua overlord :)
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Teh Brawler wrote:
Dylan wrote:Talking about Sabrina in the IRC...this sums it.
Now, why do y'all have to go having the good conversations when I'm not in the IRC? :lol:
Epic win.
WolvenPaw15

Post by WolvenPaw15 »

I had a couple but I reipped them to shreds because of my horrible drawing skills I love to draw really just ...can't *Sighs* Why does my best friend have to rub her artsy skills in my face not intentionally grrrr
Pet Friendly:
Zeke Warren RG S-5 P-5 E-5 C-5 I-8 A-9 L-5
The Game

Post by The Game »

I wish I could draw like this!!
And like wolvenpaw, my best friend is an EPIC artist but i suck
all my HP sketches have the right head and ears and tags. But any facial features make them unrecognizable and the eyes never look the same. i dont get how the noses get where they are either...mega annoying.
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

Here is a little doodle I did. I was bored and it was my first attempt to draw them. xD

Sorry if it's...too big. D:
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

*eye twitches*
I hate it how we artists can't stand our own work. On the plain of artistic talent, I am halfway between amazing and terrible, and I will spend hours going over flaws. That ^ up there, that's amazing. And for you to say it sucks proves to me that you're an artist.
Last edited by Teh Brawler on Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

Teh Brawler wrote:*eye twitches*
I hate it how we artists can't stand our own work. On the plain of artistic talent, I am halfway between amazing and terrible, and I will spend hours going over flaws. That ^ up there, that's amazing. And for you to sucks proves to me that you're an artist.
I think it's 'cause it looked WAAY better, in their mind, than the outcome. Plus I used pen so...it's harder for me to correct the mistakes. D:
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

NickCole wrote:I think it's 'cause it looked WAAY better, in their mind, than the outcome. Plus I used pen so...it's harder for me to correct the mistakes. D:
*Beats head into wall*
NickCole, let me put this as bluntly as I can: I LOVE YOUR TALENT. I WANT YOUR TALENT. I WISH YOUR TALENT CAME IN THE FORM OF AN ONLINE CREDIT CARD NUMBER SO I COULD STEAL YOUR TALENT. DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT; YOU ARE REALLY GOOD.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

Teh Brawler wrote:
NickCole wrote:I think it's 'cause it looked WAAY better, in their mind, than the outcome. Plus I used pen so...it's harder for me to correct the mistakes. D:
*Beats head into wall*
NickCole, let me put this as bluntly as I can: I LOVE YOUR TALENT. I WANT YOUR TALENT. I WISH YOUR TALENT CAME IN THE FORM OF AN ONLINE CREDIT CARD NUMBER SO I COULD STEAL YOUR TALENT. DO NOT SELL YOURSELF SHORT; YOU ARE REALLY GOOD.
IT AIN'T FOR SAL---HEY NO STEALING. D: Plus drawing ain't my passion anymore, it's more of a hobby now. C: I'm more into Programming, though I don't know how but I'm willing to learn.

(And I can actually draw that out, if I knew what you look it.)
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

NickCole wrote:
Teh Brawler wrote:
*Beats head into wall*
IT AIN'T FOR SAL---HEY NO STEALING. D: Plus drawing ain't my passion anymore, it's more of a hobby now. C: I'm more into Programming, though I don't know how but I'm willing to learn.

(And I can actually draw that out, if I knew what you look it.)
Programming really isn't that hard to learn, all you need is patience and a good handle on critical thinking. I can't point you in any directions when it comes to learning, but Tails++, Codewolf, Ebly, and others can. I'm learning Java at school this year, and it's really not that bad, it's actually pretty fun.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I hate it how we artists can't stand our own work. On the plain of artistic talent, I am halfway between amazing and terrible, and I will spend hours going over flaws. That ^ up there, that's amazing. And for you to say it sucks proves to me that you're an artist.
The best artists can point out 2 dozen flaws within their best pictures within a moment. And they also tend to be highly critical of their work. It's those two traits that help drive them to grow and improve. You need to be wary of any artist who not only never sees any flaws within their work but think it's just freaking fantastic. (Furry is a fandom full of those artists, look at FA) because not only are they more often then not turning out subpar pictures (And should be avoided for commissions) but they and their yes men fans will rip you a new one if you ever point out a flaw within their work. (All IMHO)
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Foxstar wrote:
The best artists can point out 2 dozen flaws within their best pictures within a moment. And they also tend to be highly critical of their work. It's those two traits that help drive them to grow and improve. You need to be wary of any artist who not only never sees any flaws within their work but think it's just freaking fantastic. (Furry is a fandom full of those artists, look at FA) because not only are they more often then not turning out subpar pictures (And should be avoided for commissions) but they and their yes men fans will rip you a new one if you ever point out a flaw within their work. (All IMHO)
Thumbs up smilie!
I tend not to be so blunt but basically I agree with this.
The only thing I have to add is that sometimes the people who aren't full of themselves can get a bit too down on their own work. It's a difficult equilibrium to maintain!

...Of course this is also just opinion.

I'd also like to say to not overwork. I know too many people who spend hours and hours on a really simple picture and it comes out looking really weird because they spent hours and hours fixing the most minor things on it!
But mostly this is from observation rather than experience so maybe people shouldn't listen to my advice.
WolvenPaw15

Post by WolvenPaw15 »

Ok fine I'll do my best drawing post and see what happens give me a good while because I'm probably going to go through a bunch of sheets of paper and compare and contrast them so it may take a while -_-
Pet Friendly:
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

i wish i could add something to this conversation, i really could.

but i can't draw, so im one of those people who can look at something someone drew and not catch a single flaw (some of the comments from the Housepets re-coloring thread made me feel stupid for not catching some of those things).

however, since i can write well (when i feel like it), i always tend to catch those flaws very easily, and i include pacing and plot structure as well as grammatical and spelling errors. good thing rick is a great writer though cause there is very little i can criticize the comic about in terms of writing.
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

Let me just say this now, because I actually feel for this topic of discussion, being an artist pretty much requires you not to become attached to any of your work. The first months I spent studying art with my professor he had us rip up our art work and do it over countless times. In order for an artist to actually succeed in their profession they need to be able to work fast, and not dwell too much on the little details. Its important to note your mistakes and improve of course, but remember, when your working on a commission from someone you can't waste time either; and the commissioner is always right. No excuses. The skill of an artist only goes so far as their ability to look past their own egotism and get the job done. Oh, and your imaginative input is also essential; so the artist must constantly juggle the amount of ideas they're projecting into the work, the requests of the commissioner, and the time limit. Like Ebly said, its a difficult equilibrium to maintain. I myself don't claim to know what makes an excellent artist, but I do know what makes a bad artist. And knowing is half the battle.

Making personal work, in itself on the other hand, can be self rewarding; doodling in Rick's style is a fun challenge for me because its completely opposite of mine, which is just drawing things more realistically :p
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Two_Twig wrote:words
hey

HEY

more art
ImageImage
ImageImage
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

Ebly wrote:
The only thing I have to add is that sometimes the people who aren't full of themselves can get a bit too down on their own work. It's a difficult equilibrium to maintain!
The key, of course, is to prefer doing art to any other work, and then develop a sort of masochism toward criticism.
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Two_Twig wrote:Let me just say this now, because I actually feel for this topic of discussion, being an artist pretty much requires you not to become attached to any of your work. The first months I spent studying art with my professor he had us rip up our art work and do it over countless times. In order for an artist to actually succeed in their profession they need to be able to work fast, and not dwell too much on the little details. Its important to note your mistakes and improve of course, but remember, when your working on a commission from someone you can't waste time either; and the commissioner is always right. No excuses. The skill of an artist only goes so far as their ability to look past their own egotism and get the job done. Oh, and your imaginative input is also essential; so the artist must constantly juggle the amount of ideas they're projecting into the work, the requests of the commissioner, and the time limit. Like Ebly said, its a difficult equilibrium to maintain. I myself don't claim to know what makes an excellent artist, but I do know what makes a bad artist. And knowing is half the battle.

Making personal work, in itself on the other hand, can be self rewarding; doodling in Rick's style is a fun challenge for me because its completely opposite of mine, which is just drawing things more realistically :p
I agree with this wholeheartedly, but there's a difference between not getting attached to your work and never being happy with what you produce. That's one thing I've had to learn, that I'm never going to be able to produce what I imagine, not because I'm not necessarily good enough, but because what I draw will always come out different than what I initially imagined. So, I've developed the ability to be happy with what I finish with, even if it doesn't quite fit what I had in mind, as long as there aren't any real mistakes in it.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

Teh Brawler wrote:I agree with this wholeheartedly, but there's a difference between not getting attached to your work and never being happy with what you produce. That's one thing I've had to learn, that I'm never going to be able to produce what I imagine, not because I'm not necessarily good enough, but because what I draw will always come out different than what I initially imagined. So, I've developed the ability to be happy with what I finish with, even if it doesn't quite fit what I had in mind, as long as there aren't any real mistakes in it.
I'm not saying that an artist should never be happy with what they produce, there's nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, some people are just highly critical of their own work. There is no advice or understanding to it, it just depends on who you're asking. If you asked me, an artist should enjoy the passion of making something, while also trying to improve or change their work. If an artist keeps producing the same thing over and over, it becomes dull. Artist's are always in the state of continuing development, so its not easy to say your artwork is good because in your head you know it can be better.

Also, the mind is a complex, convoluted, intangible piece of substance. The ability to pull a perfect image from that, and put it on paper exactly as you imagined, is virtually impossible. The sooner people come to terms with that, the happier they'll be, so its good to see you understand that. It's not a fault, its just something every person, be they artist or not, has to work around. Whew, I think I'm getting too worked up over this.
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Two_Twig wrote:I'm not saying that an artist should never be happy with what they produce, there's nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately, some people are just highly critical of their own work. There is no advice or understanding to it, it just depends on who you're asking. If you asked me, an artist should enjoy the passion of making something, while also trying to improve or change their work. If an artist keeps producing the same thing over and over, it becomes dull. Artist's are always in the state of continuing development, so its not easy to say your artwork is good because in your head you know it can be better.

Also, the mind is a complex, convoluted, intangible piece of substance. The ability to pull a perfect image from that, and put it on paper exactly as you imagined, is virtually impossible. The sooner people come to terms with that, the happier they'll be, so its good to see you understand that. It's not a fault, its just something every person, be they artist or not, has to work around. Whew, I think I'm getting too worked up over this.
I think I might be, too, since I think, after reading that, that we agree on the subject, we're just expressing different viewpoints on the topic, and if we aren't, we are now, 'cause I do agree with that ^.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

rickgriffin wrote:
Ebly wrote:
The key, of course, is to prefer doing art to any other work, and then develop a sort of masochism toward criticism.
Needless to say I am not an artist! Heeheehee
The Game

Post by The Game »

I made a sorry attempt at drawing HP
lets just say Peanut ended up looking like Pete :oops: :D
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I marvel at my art so much as i draw it, i just can't see my poor character having that extra freckle more than he should or have a color or finger shape <i>wrong</i>.

Afterall, it's a thing of beauty. it's...Perfect.

but then i decided to put that character into a book. everything was solved!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

I'd just like to point out that when I write, there always seems to be something wrong with it, and if I attempted to make it "perfect" I would be editing ad infinitum. You just have to learn to eventually live with what you made and see what others think of it. Minor blemishes won't take away from the general premise.
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

BlueArmy wrote:I'd just like to point out that when I write, there always seems to be something wrong with it, and if I attempted to make it "perfect" I would be editing ad infinitum. You just have to learn to eventually live with what you made and see what others think of it. Minor blemishes won't take away from the general premise.
rule of thumb with writing: even though you may be able to replace words endlessly, you should stop the moment when it sounds good. read your writing aloud, and if something sounds off, fix it until it it can be spoken fluently. after all, all writing is meant to be read aloud (this goes double for poetry).
Last edited by Hipstar on Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
WolvenPaw15

Post by WolvenPaw15 »

*sighs*

I just can't get Fido's ears or facial features right and if I ever do I still have to draw Sabrina and Reno (Their son in my fanfic if you didn't know)
Pet Friendly:
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"