Non-HPU RP: Jade Star Academy OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

GrimD@rk8290

Re: Non-HPU RP: Jade Star Academy OOC

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Buster wrote:there are a few things with this one...
NONE of the elemental affinities are inherently good/evil, and even if they were this system links dark magic to creation not destruction.
See I read your system wrong. I'm used to 9/10 darkness meaning destruction etc. Probably won't change her powers or how I see to play the duo or the characters, but that is a good bit of note to see.

Buster wrote:this bit is almost giberish, also possibly redundant since all summons can do what i think you're saying if their partner knows how to channel, please clarify.
Well, considering the other times I've played this character that using his body as a conduit for other spells was unique, wasn't sure if putting that would be a worthwhile mention or not but I guess in your verse magic can be channeled through most anything.

Of course I'll post for hope and Fix Dusk's sheet.
Sunny Briggs -Golden Labrador Retriever- S3 P5 E7 C6 I3 A8 L10
Luna Briggs - Blue Russian Cat- S8 P6 E6 C6 I7 A5 L4
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Character Name: Hope Lidawn
Type: Main
Color Font: This color #0080FF
Species/Breed: Fenrae (Foxkin)
Magic Affinity: Light

Appearance: Standing at a nimble 5'8, small figure and wears a cloak given to her by her father. Though tattered and bit worn, it hangs down just over her tail. She wears grey gloves with special runes on them to help her cast magic and maintain spells.She has a pair of goggles that hang around her neck, and her floofy white tail. She is mostly white in fur color.

Personality: Hope usually likes to spend her time alone on missions, or out hunting. She likes to read, and is a bit stubborn and hardheaded at times. Tends to be respectful to teachers and her elders, but otherwise is very vocal about her opinions. Has a fear of losing control of her spells, and so has to the academy to train.

History: A noble from the House Lidawn, she was raised to be independent and strong. Born with a strange affinity for magic not found in normally of her kin Hope was different. As a younger kit, she couldn't control her powers and so the family looked far and wide for a way to keep them under. It wasn't until an accident involving her sister, that she ran away. It was in this cave she found a pair of strange gloves, and her future ethereal Dusk.

Having grown up she was sent to the academy at the urging of her family to better learn how to control her magic.
Other: (going to post some notable spells here)

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 5
- Perception: 7
- Endurance: 5
- Charisma: 6
- Intelligence: 7
- Agility: 8
- Luck: 4

-------

Character Name:Dusk
Type: Main
Color Font: This is #FF4040
Species/Breed: Darkness Familiar

Appearance: Materializes in the form of a dog when enough shadows are present and is properly summoned. He has no real shape given he is made purely of darkness magic.

Personality: As fun loving and loyal as the animal he portrays, he is a very positive, upbeat elemental. Caring and loving and extremely is very protective of Hope and is ironically the more optimistic of the two in almost any given situation.

History: Much was unknown about Dusk, and Dusk has barely opened up to Hope about his former existence before her. Hope found Dusk one day where a hunting trip for hope went wrong and she found herself separated from her group. She was lost in a cave, and what transpired in that cave no one knows except for Hope. The familiar bonded itself with Hope, and from then on they've been inseparable. They've been together for many years.

Other: Can shift his location based on the shadows in the area. (Not sure if this is worth noting but he can shadow shift [teleport] a short distance.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 5
- Charisma: 8
- Intelligence: 5
- Agility: 7
- Luck: 5
Last edited by GrimD@rk8290 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:20 am, edited 4 times in total.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the last line of hopes appearance looks like it got cut off mid sentence. other than that looking good.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sounds like we just need one more player and we can start. I know I'm excited!

I actually thought of a second character that I'd like to make. I'll see if I can write up a description.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, i poked two of the remaining three who originally seemed interested (No point in poking lego i already know what he'll say...), so fingers crossed a month was enough time to come up with something...
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I know one person has a few ideas (and I still have an idea I keep forgetting to write down. >.> Good thing it's a long weekend...). But I don't really know many details about it.
-Champion Motto

Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Sorry! I'm working on a character but it's taking longer than I expected!
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Alright! Got something down! I wrote this at 3am so there might be typos.
I'll fix things in the morning.

Name: Fen'rus Alabaster

Color: 40BFFF

Character Type: Main Character

Species: Northern Lunae (Wolfkin)

RP: Jade Star Academy

Appearance: Though he didn't care much for it, Fen'rus was always tall for his age. The white-furred, green-eyed Lunae had grown used to hearing it as he grew up, still hears about it now and then too. A growing boy they told him, and now he was almost six feet tall at the age of seventeen. Raised in the harsh snowy forests of the northern Empire, Fen'rus was used to the cold. It helped that his fur was thick and warm, which was a good thing because he often found himself out in the forest, whether it was to hunt, collect herbs, or carry out some physically laborious task. His paws are rough and worn with callous.

Personality/Background: Fen'rus (or Fen, as most people referred to him as) was born of two doctors, or at least, the closest thing a small village in the cold north could have to a doctor. Their practice was both magical and medicinal, relying on their etherials, as well as the local plant-life. And as much time as Fen spent around both his parents, he never really got the knack for memorizing all those medical terms and diagnoses. But what he did learn from his parents was how to care and comfort people, even through the most difficult of times. Fen always found physical work came easier to him than anything analytical, and he accepted that in stride, trying to make do with being helpful where he could. And though he may struggle sometimes, he always favored perseverance over giving up. The one thing he always found he could do better than anyone in the village, was sense when danger was coming, and something was wrong. And though he may not know the particular ailment that may plague someone, he could definitely tell if someone was sick. The nose knows, as they say.

Fen's spends most of his time being an optimistic pup, and before the encounter with his etherial, he had been content to spend his life in the frozen north, helping his people. Now with these newfound abilities, a new friend, and at the urging of his townspeople, Fen is making his way to the Jade Academy just in time to start the next academic year.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L:
Strength - 8
Perception - 9
Endurance - 6
Charisma - 7
Intelligence - 4
Agility - 3
Luck - 5

---------------------------------------------------------
Name: Viriathus

Character Type: Main Character

Color: BF00FF

Species: Etherial (Metal Affinity)

Appearance: If you focus on one spot, squint, and maybe stick your tongue out, you might find Vi resembles a silhouette of a Laurae. Though most of the time she's just a small mass of shimmers in the air. At night she twinkles a bit like silver fireflies, her form sometimes contracting and swaying in the breeze. Strangely enough, if you happen to see her by any mirrors you get a very corporeal reflection of a black-furred laurae with piercing yellow eyes.

Personality: Vi is everything Fen isn't. Snarky, quick-witted, and not afraid to tell someone off if she needs to. Though she can sometimes be out in the clouds, she always has Fen to pull her back to reality. He has become her rock, in more definitions than one, though when things get hairy it's usually her that comes up with the creative plan. She has quite the interest in etherials, as well as the many forms of magic that exists in this land. When she's not off with Fen her favorite pastime is reading and research (Fen leaves a few books out for her, so she can use the minor physical influences she has to flip the pages.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L:
Strength - 2
Perception - 7
Endurance - 4
Charisma - 4
Intelligence - 9
Agility - 8
Luck - 8
Last edited by Roarin on Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ref Ref!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Roarin wrote:Though he didn't care much more it, Fen'rus was always tall for his age.
the first half of this line doesn't make much sense i think there's either a word missing or got substituted.
Roarin wrote:Fen'rus (or Fen, as most people referred to him as) was born of two doctors, or at least, the closest thing a small village in the cold north could have to a doctor.
closest profession to a doctor would be an apothecary (mundane) or a healer (magic) you only really see proper doctors in the major settlements.

wait... is Viriathus body made out of glitter? that's hilarious. :mrgreen:

looks good.

Alright, my next day off is Monday, so expect to see the thread go live then.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

“Didn’t care much *for* it”. Hopefully that makes a little more sense. Whoops.

Vi is made of glitter, the hopes and dreams of children, and maybe some rainbows. XP
I wasn’t sure how to describe a metal affinity etherial... And I didn’t want her to be statue, or like... a floating metal object... like a crowbar or something.

Ref Ref!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

most of them look like living diecast, some clockworks, some wire sculptures, a few more interesting. dont worry she'll fit right in. glitter can easily be made from metal shavings after all.

as for being a statue, even if they're made of steel, granite, or packed ice, they're all flexible as flesh and blood. because magic.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

thankfully, phrasing one's back story as a conversation gives me an easy starting point for one of you, and the docks are a place the others could enter from too, so, bonus.

Also for any curious the buildings use a lot of stone. Mostly basalt red granite and marble.
Deske

Post by Deske »

Intro post feels a bit short, but I didn't really want to drag it out too much. Here's hoping it's enough to work with.

I redid it a couple times to add some dating to Tom. Such as hiring a painter, since he predates any form of photography or using the term "Natural Philosophy," since the word "Scientist" hadn't been invented yet.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Character Name: Kassalya Vorolok
Color: This
Type: Secondary/Support
Species/Breed: Kigrei Rou

Appearance:
Kass is a 4 meter long Kigrei Rou with scarlet red scales going all the way from her throat, down her front, and to the tip of her tail on the underside. Many of these red scales have black tips, and the scales on her back and head are also solidly black. Her eyes are a bright green, and always seem to be wide open, enthusiastically taking in as many sights as she can see. Otherwise, she is relatively ordinary, and wears a tunic over her upper body with the Explorer’s guild crest emblazoned on the upper left side of her chest.

Personality:
Kass is highly curious, and enthusiastic about learning new things about new people. She took a particular interest in things from other worlds. Cultures, artifacts, people, if it was alien she loved it and would study it all day. Kass is happiest when she’s reading or listening to stories about far off places she normally would never get to see. She is fascinated by David.

History:
When Kass was young, she used to read old stories about the farthest continents, beyond the reach of the empire. She loved those stories, and they drove her interest in exploration and the research of cultures. When she found stories about the lands beyond the portals, her interest shifted. Her imagination ran wild with speculation about what might be out there, and she worked and studied night and day in order to impress the Explorer’s Guild. Eventually, she was able to catch their attention, and they made her an Apprentice.
She could not have been more happy when they started opening the portals again. Finally, she had the chance to meet strange and fascinating people the likes of which she could only imagine. Even more exciting, the guild had decided she should be one of the ones watching the portals. She was one of the people present at the portal when a strange hairless thing calling himself David fell through the portal.
Kassalya was placed in charge of accompanying and studying David while he went to the Jade Star Academy, a task she could not have been happier to accept. She went with him on the ship ride to the Academy.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 7
- Perception: 5
- Charisma: 6
- Intelligence: 8
- Agility: 5
- Luck: 6
Putting Kass's character sheet here.
-Champion Motto

Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

While it took me a bit longer than I'd like, here be my characters for the Jade Star Academy!

Name: Sylas Khtor
Color: This color 8040BF
type: Main
Species/Breed: Laurae Rou

Appearance: Sylas is a somewhat short Laurae and has light gray fur with light violet stripes that match her eyes, while her mane and tail tuft are a darker shade of purple. Her wings are speckled, with splotches of all three of her fur colors covering her feathers. Her mane is styled into something of a small star shape.

She tends to wear a short, sleeveless, casual dress that splits into three at her waist, one piece in front and two behind so as not to hinder her tail, the front piece stopping just above her knees while the back pieces are longer. She also wears finger-less gloves that end just past her elbows, on her gloves lays her family’s insignia, which appears to be a circle of broken glass in varying sizes, if one looks close they might see a face reflected in the shards.

Personality: Smile-y and excitable, but patient, and plagued by anxiety of failing her family, herself or others. Can become driven when angered, an occurrence that is quite rare. While she has a pleasant, almost employee like if a bit more bouncy front, she is more awkward and shy when letting her guard down.

History: Was born to a well off and eccentric family of traders with a hand just about everywhere they can reach. Sylas herself was rather shut away from the world for awhile, as her family would jump from place to place for business or pleasure leaving her little time to settle, making the academy her first real foray into the real world and more eager than ever to experience it. Is torn between wanting to utilize her magic to its fullest to help her family’s business or to be more fulfilling towards herself.

Other: Carries a small dagger with her at all times in line with her family’s words of wisdom: “A silver tongue should never venture without a brother of steel.”

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 4
- Endurance: 4
- Charisma: 7
- Intelligence: 8
- Agility: 7

Name: Sinbel
Color: This color 40BFBF
type: Main
Species/Breed: Earth Ethereal

Appearance: Sinbel looks like a small (by comparison) Kigrei Rou made out of chunks of thick glass like crystal even if they don’t always appear to connect entirely.

Personality: Sinbel is hard to figure out, he’s mostly laid back and content to watch others do as they do while occasionally giving advice when he finds it applicable, which fits his role as something of an adviser to the Khtor. His laid back demeanor hides his sharp mind from the unobservant, just as he likes.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 7
- Perception: 6
- Endurance: 8
- Charisma: 5
- Intelligence: 7
- Agility: 4
Last edited by Neon Icy Wings on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

looks good, though a bit of an unusual appearance. i would have expected something more plant/wood themed with that affinity. crystals tend to be more of an ice-type thing.
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Ah, I knew writing them out in the middle of the night would lead to one mistake. I for some reason mixed up Nature and Earth in my mind. "Eh, well rocks are a part of nature right?" I'll just go fix that.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

okay that makes more sense.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Buster wrote:...can someone explain to me why a 'furry monster-kid magic school' in a medival fantasy setting keeps attracting adult humans?

cause there may or may not be a third one in the area soon?

not complaining, just confused.
... I realized that it's really super late to answer this, but I didn't see it until a little bit ago.

I can only speak for my own character myself. I wanted to play a character who was completely out of his element. He's small, he's far from home, he's lost, he's scared, he's surrounded by large monster people, and he has abilities he has no clue how to control. I also thought he'd be the only human in the school, and would actually be the strangest person there as a result.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

I think you still take the title of 'Strangest One Here.' I mean, werewolf or electrically charged plasma golem. Not really much of a competition there.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so i probably should have mentioned this earlier, but i wanted to use it as an excuse to play around with a few things IC.

Being a member of a house means your family own atleast a county worth of land and there are no fenrae houses within the empire's borders, which basicaly makes hope a foreign noble. and non-etherials born with an affinity of their own are extremely rare.

I knowingly approved the later, and I'm letting Grim keep the former, despite it not being on the sheet, (i don't mind minor things getting improved post character creation, or keeping a few less important details to yourself i do that myself, but that is not a minor detail. don't make a habit of it.) cause i want to see how you lot handle this. :twisted:
Also because your homeroom teacher might possibly be one of Alan Rickman's more famous roles crossed with a certain scarf wearing sleep deprived anime character and now i have someone for him to snark at...
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Buster wrote:so i probably should have mentioned this earlier, but i wanted to use it as an excuse to play around with a few things IC.

Being a member of a house means your family own atleast a county worth of land and there are no fenrae houses within the empire's borders, which basicaly makes hope a foreign noble. and non-etherials born with an affinity of their own are extremely rare.

I knowingly approved the later, and I'm letting Grim keep the former, despite it not being on the sheet, (i don't mind minor things getting improved post character creation, or keeping a few less important details to yourself i do that myself, but that is not a minor detail. don't make a habit of it.) cause i want to see how you lot handle this. :twisted:
Also because your homeroom teacher might possibly be one of Alan Rickman's more famous roles crossed with a certain scarf wearing sleep deprived anime character and now i have someone for him to snark at...
Oh my god, Buster I am so sorry D: I was wracking my brain up on what to post and I thought "House" meant more like family lineage. Which I suppose >-> I should've read over your OOC a bit better. But yes, if I do ever change something small. I more so like to expand on my character per in roleplay and just like using the character template sheet as an outline. However, backstroy will get expanded on, powers will get expanded on etc. I just like doing all that in roleplay rather than doing it in the OOC sheet as simply put I only know the character I make if I play them. If that makes sense.

But now that you've meantioned she's basically nobility it would make sense where her love for the outdoors came from given, no one is going to tell her no to get off her own land.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

ah don't worry about it, i'm over here laughing my ___ off over what you've accidentally pulled on yourself. too late to take it back now.
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

I embrace it honestly, and it would explain her more hunter oriented backstory and love of outdoors. :oops:
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

So Buster since I accidently dropped the ball that my character is now nobility of a sort and a rarity born with her own afinity for magic was wondering if it would be alright if I updated her character sheet?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

go right ahead.

and i'd say it's more curve-ball than dropped ball. they're perfectly serviceable traits as long as they don't become common, and it balances out given the fact that two of the other four players have innate spell-like abilities and foreign magic.

also i've found myself re explaining or expanding on existing explanations of things via PM a fair bit lately, so for the sake of clarity, the logs:
Buter wrote:uh, no. Fenrae are noticeably shorter and have larger ears than lunae, to say nothing of the color and marking differences. it would be a stretch to have one look like the other. and that's assuming you're referring to the wolf-man style lunae, not the horse-sized direwolf ones.
Buster wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Subject: Non-HPU RP: Jade Star Academy OOC
Buster wrote:anybody else have questions?
Oh, many questions. But I don't know what they are!

To put it sort of clearly, I've been watching over this RP from the beginning with the idea of joining but something's always been holding me back. A fear of misunderstanding, if you will. I was thinking about a telekinetic/Earth mover sort but I have no idea how that would work here. What power 'sets' or Etherals or... aaargh(!) It's frustrating to be so close to understanding and, yet, so far.
straight telekinesis isn't a thing here. shapers can manipulate their element, but it's closer to FMA style alchemy with type rules added than ATLA/LOK style bending.

as to power sets, thats determined largely by one's etherial partner. a fire type for example is going to have excelent fire, good synergy with lightning and ice, passable light and air control, but poor access to most of the others and little to no access to one in particular. usually water or nature. the same patern holds true for all etherials; strongest access to their affinity, diminished the further you get from it, save hybrid etherials who have passable access to all of them but at the cost of having no real strengths.
Buster wrote:
CyberDragon wrote:Any examples of what they might remember or have recorded, either true or not? I imagine Kass did as much research as she could on humans when she learned she would be studying David, and I am wondering about what she might have learned from that and what hilarious misunderstandings she might have as a result of the misinformation.
well the minimal fur has led to the assumption that humans shed bi-monthly the way kigrei do. nobody's sure what they eat since the the races mainly eat fruit meat and fish while humans they'd encountered on their travels had vast fields of... something, (hadn't seen corn before) the fact that humans have predominantly brown blue or green eye colors with the others nearly non existent, instead of predominantly violet red or orange with the others rarer, has led to a misconception about the quality of human eyesight (they think we can see a narrower range of colors than they can.), they actually understand human hearing correctly, the only of the races lacking claws being the pahre, who can punch on average much harder than the others, has led to a similar assumption of humans, and they think the lack of a tail is a ritual amputation thing, since they've seen monkeys and spotted the resemblance, plus know that most things have tails (as far as they're aware).
Buster wrote:
CyberDragon wrote:So how much does the Explorer's Guild know about humans? How have their previous interactions gone?
it's been long enough since they were allowed to use the planar gates, and the literate portion of the population small enough (Remember Rua's bit in RGV about lamenting books not being one of a kind handcrafted treasures?) that most of what they know has gotten warped and tangled up due to being passed orally, or on scrolls that need to be regularly retranscribed.

so, more than you might have thought given their level of development as a society, but less than you'd think with how much of it is misremembered, transcribed incorrectly, or just outright wrong.
Buster wrote:
CyberDragon wrote:Also, regarding the races in the game, since they're all really close to each other, I've got a couple more questions.

Are the Kigrei warm blooded? If they're so close to the mammals, I'd assume so.

Yup. though their skin type and lack of fur gives them much better heat tolerance, and cold vulnerability, so the 'likes warm, sluggish in the cold' bit still applies, just for different reasons.
CyberDragon wrote:Also, Rua mentioned that she was an obligate carnivore. That seems like something that would be consistent for all of the races since it's related to internal workings and internal organs and body chemistry and all that.

i picked cats, wolves, foxes, hawks, and snakes, as the template species for a reason.
CyberDragon wrote:But then the Pahre are based on ungulates like cattle, horses, rhinos, and all sorts of creatures that are often herbivores. How does that all work when the races are based off of so many different species?

not quite what they're based on...
The myth of the Minotaur states that the monster must eat humans for sustenance.
obviously this lot have a slightly wider diet, what with there being no local humans and all.

as for the variety, their gods are also their progenitors, but the seven were all shape-shifters. Rutyll (wrath) takes the form of a sphinx when talking to socks because creatures of myth and legend is how her local counterparts look, she thinks it's expected of her. that ability is something that was lost through the generations, so their progeny started 'customizing' their shape through selective breeding instead. certain looks became predominant in certain regions because of climate. over time they forgot they were one people, what had been lost, or why they didn't interbreed much.

that said this is all centuries before the first kingdoms formed, let alone the modern nations.
Buster wrote:
CyberDragon wrote:I meant more along the lines of how they function rather than how they look. Like, do they have forked tongues and segmented jaws, are their tails tails or are they actually 90% body, do they see infrared in the dark, do they like to use their tails as pillows... functional snake stuff.
rember how the intro mentioned Rurae? Rurae are possible because the races actually all share the same genome and about 80% of their anatomy, making them more like wildly divergent breeds of one species than several separate ones. save for a few having added or absent limbs the differences between the races are largely external. cosmetic stuff like the tongues, scales vs fur, the Anre and shas having beaks (even if the kigrei version is more turtlish instead of bird),or Anre wing-arms vs wings as a seperate limb tend to vary, but the underlying anatomy is mostly the same. their tail is just that, a tail. it's all muscle fat and bone, the major organs stop where the waist should have been.

that said body-type specific behaviors are definitely a go.
Buster wrote:
Neon Icy Wings wrote:Maybe, I'm just reading through the world, culture and mechanics again, trying to nail down exactly what I want, as I want to create a character from the world itself and not through the portals, which has probably led to me overthinking things. Like, do I want to play a caller or a channeler, which species do I want as even without the portal there's a large selection, exactly where does my character come from, ect.
laurae rou tend to be most populous in the north west parts near the old kingdom if it helps.
Neon Icy Wings wrote:Right now I'm thinking of maybe a Laurae Rou called Sylas who would be the daughter to an eccentric, but moderately successful family, whether it be normal trading or some other business I don't know. And then I'd need to design an ethereal. But, I think it's just that there's so much info available and I'm just psyching myself out.

With the channeler vs caller debate I just need to read and think more, so if you could tell me if my family trading business would fly and such that'd be nice. And I guess any extra info on what Laurae Rou look like, like colors would be helpful.
Both genders of laurae have lion like manes, which originally was my way of hand waving being able to give them hairstyles, and in a few cases beards, while still being cats. for the ones with wings their primary and secondary feathers have the colors of their mane and fur marks present. base fur color is usually some variation of white gray brown or black, while the markings and hair are usually far more vibrant. the mane, a stripe of fur going down the back and tapering toards the tail, the tail tuft, and primary row of feathers are usually a midtone or dark color, while the secondary row of feathers and stripes/spots/patches/chest/gloves/socks if present will be a noticeably lighter shade of the same or a similar color. Stripes are most common on Sha, spots on Nav, gloves and boots on Rou, but technically any can have any or all of the markings.

some winged laurae have speckled wings, rather than tricolor, where all three colors are present as patches of varying size on every feather, creating what from a distance looks like a gradient.

natural red pigments present in the eye result in reds oranges and violets being much more common in eye color than blues greens or ambers, and darker browns are nonexistant.

being an empire the size of asia that hasn't heard of he engine or the telegraph yet, traders and couriers in pretty high demand as several of the provinces produce and desire materials and products not available in all regions. a longstanding and well connected family of traders is plenty believable.

also you could make the channeler/caller thing an internal struggle for the character instead of an external one for the writer, if you wanted to give yourself more time. for example a channeler is more likely to get things that would effect their land speed or carry weight, which the family might push for even if they have a more natural tallent/desire towards being a caller. making the decision an in-character development moment rather than a backstory footnote.
furrygamer793

Oi Haves Know Eye Dea Water Oi Bee Doughing

Post by furrygamer793 »

Buster wrote:…the fact that two of the other four players have innate spell-like abilities and foreign magic.
*cue highly conspicuous whistle*
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

you still have to come up with a backstory that justifies why your character is the race you asked about hawkfang. I've yet to see anything.
furrygamer793

:||||||||||||||||

Post by furrygamer793 »

That's cause I am still working on the character and do not want to present it to you until it is done.
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

don't you ":||||||||||||||||" me, mister.

Post by Buster »

I'll be waiting...
furrygamer793

Oi, don't nuke my selchie!

Post by furrygamer793 »

I hast yon sheet that doth speaketh of yon character (in case you cannot comprehend old english: I made the character
Character sheep of dome wrote:Name: Serech Waters
Species: Selchie (Human on land, seal in water. It's a folklore thing, yes that means her last name is a joke)
Speech color: #BF0000

Appearance:
Human:
She stands at only 5'4". She has dark green eyes and long brown hair, while having pale skin. She will be seen wearing a variety of silly inspirational t-shirts and when it's cold, an otter sweater. She has a skinny build.
Seal:
She looks like a normal Atlantic grey seal and is 5'5" long, slightly larger than in her human form.

Personality:
She's very silly and loves sea creatures, especially otters. She loves reading and playing games, card games like UNO or real games like tag, not video games. She likes reading about magic, and has wanted to learn magic for a long time (one reason why she doesn't think this place is so bad). She hates carrots, but likes lima beans.

History:
She lived in a small beach town in a world that's in the future, it wasn't a dystopian future, but neither was it utopian. When she was 7, she first found out she was a selchie, and she wasn't that surprised with the news, as she loved the water. On her twelfth birthday, she was investigating a mysterious underwater cave, in which she found an object that teleported her here, where a Anre Sha named Xerana helped her and told her about this world.

Other notes:
Nothing I can think of.
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

It's my RP, I can nuke whatever I want.

Post by Buster »

furrygamer793 wrote:I hast yon sheet that doth speaketh of yon character
i see we're using renaissance fair grammar instead of ACTUAL old English grammar...
furrygamer793 wrote:Personality:
She's very silly and loves sea creatures, especially otters. She loves reading and playing games, card games like UNO or real games like tag, not video games. She likes reading about magic, and has wanted to learn magic for a long time (one reason why she doesn't think this place is so bad). She hates carrots, but likes lima beans.
you know when folks suggest expanding a personality by including likes and dislikes, ones that are character defining or relevant to the RP are WAY more informative than random trivia. this place doesn't even have electric lights let alone computation, and the population are predominantly carnivorous, so neither of these are relevant and don't actually tell anything about her personality.
furrygamer793 wrote:History:
She lived in a small beach town in a world that's in the future, it wasn't a dystopian future, but neither was it utopian. When she was 7, she first found out she was a selchie, and she wasn't that surprised with the news, as she loved the water. On her twelfth birthday, she was investigating a mysterious underwater cave, in which she found an object that teleported her here, where a Anre Sha named Xerana helped her and told her about this world.
so remember how i said if you wanted to play an outsider you would have to justify why they're here and how they can do what they do? i expected more than this:

(also i'm going to be comparing you to Deske and CD a lot because the others being locals didn't need to include as much of this stuff)

firstly, the future world line is vague to the point that i question why it's there, saying it's neither of the extreme ends of the spectrum still leaves nearly the entire spectrum of possible settings open. also, future relative to what? this is feudal era fantasy, the 1200s are the future relative to this. the others gave a speciffic era and setting. one is from early post industrial earth, the mid 1800s, with a bit of old style supernatural horor logic thrown in. the other is from a 31st century human colony world recently ravaged by an alien raid, in a DC-esque superhero setting.

secondly, the planar gates aren't just 'poof' you're here. you have to DO something to trigger them. think less portkey more bifrost, get Heimdall's attention so to speak. CD accidentally tore a hole in subspace when his powers reacted to a piece of alien tech, deske miscast a high level spell to disastrous results. what did you do?

thirdly, i never designed an anre sha sub race, i said if you guys wanted one you could make it. so if you're going to have one as a mentor, you'll need to describe them, in detail, and i'll tell you whether or not they fit or clash with the setting. bear in mind that anre are all bird themed and their base form draws inspiration from the harpy.
furrygamer793 wrote:Other notes:
Nothing I can think of.
uh, how about how her transformation works? or her base character stats? actually where are her base stats? those are kinda mandatory.
CyberDragon

Nukes are bad. Spaceships are awesome. Say yes to Spaceships

Post by CyberDragon »

I just realized that, as a nerd from a space colony, David would probably have had all sorts of futuristic devices and technology on his person that, since he can keep it charged basically by touching it, would still largely work.

I mean, he can't exactly make any phone calls home, and there's no internet to access, but anything that didn't require networking would still work. Mostly things like his cellphone camera and maybe some mobile games so nothing super significant, but I imagine it's enough to make Kass and the Explorer's Guild very interested.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

as long as we're clear that you are NOT turning this into Isekai wa Smartphone to Tomo ni.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Of course not. With no calling, no internet, no gps, no anything that isn't self contained in the phone, only about 5% of it is functional. It would mostly be a curiosity for Kass to ask endless questions about.

Also, just to be clear, the force and size of the blast created by David's last bolt was only supposed to be about as strong as a particularly aggressive firework. Not a grenade.
-Champion Motto

GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

CyberDragon wrote:Of course not. With no calling, no internet, no gps, no anything that isn't self contained in the phone, only about 5% of it is functional. It would mostly be a curiosity for Kass to ask endless questions about.

Also, just to be clear, the force and size of the blast created by David's last bolt was only supposed to be about as strong as a particularly aggressive firework. Not a grenade.
I don't find anything wrong with my post. I dunno, if Buster feels my post is stating too much or something. Than I'll edit. But I don't feel like changing that. You not only mentioned that you made the metal target red hot (which takes a lot of heat mind you depending on the metal) but you also mentioned that it shattered the metal statue. I don't feel like there is any disconnect between what you put and what I posted.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Bronze. the vast majority of the metalwork here is bronze.
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Oh...bronze??? That changes things. Here I figured, oh you know what you're right! You mentioned the era was pre something or another I should have noted that since it was before the 1200's that there would be no real iron smithing...it took mankind longer to switch from Bronze weapons to steel than it did going from steel weapons to making the nuclear bomb. Wouldn't that make it more malieable though and susceptible to heat? I dunno do you guys want to change my post?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

It's also a far more Shapable metal than iron, which is adding roadblocks to progress on top of the ones analogous to our own history.

The less magnetic a metal is the better it responds to Mana.
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

So my post isn't too far fetched then?