Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

CyberDragon

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by CyberDragon »

Hawkfang42 wrote:Hello, I've decided to rejoin the RP, with a different character of course.
character sheet wrote:Name: Cabbage
Color: #00BF40
Type: Main
Species: Skitty, Just a simple Skitty, what did you expect, a shiny?
Appearance: She looks like any other Skitty
Personality: Naive, She is kind when unprovoked, but won't resort to tackling other Pokémon if they get too annoying. She likes chasing her tail and eating. she doesn't like it when it's much below freezing as she can't play around as much
Inherited moves: Zen Headbutt
Ability: Normalize, it turns the Pokémon's moves into normal type moves
Dynamic stats:
Level: 27
Hp: 72
Attack: 37
Defense: 37
Special attack: 32
Special defense: 28
Speed: 44
Static stats:
Perception: 7
Charisma: 3
Intelligance: 6
Luck: 8
I can't see any obvious problem with this one. What do you think, Lego?
22xander wrote:Idk If this is open for people to join, but I decided to try because frankly I just want to make more chareters XD

Character Name: Kabus

Color: Royal Yellow (FADA5E)

Type: PC

Species: Mimikyu

RP: Pokemon

Level: 15

Nature: Timid

Appearance: Kabus is a basic lookng Mimikyu, but no one can really tell that from under their mask. They wear a slightly different style of costume, that which looks somewhat like a sylveon, and try to excentuate fairy aspects.

Personality: Cutsie. While Kabus is a ghost, they try to be as cute as posible at all times, just wanting to be recognised as cute. They have trouble because of their status, and try to simply act cute at all times. When they get angry, well, they drop the fisade for a second and are far more ready to attack.

Other notes: Kabus' father was a Haunter, making them more ghost than fairy, which makes them dislike that liniage all the more.

Ability: Disguise: allows the bearer to avoid damage for one attack, but busts their discuise up in the prosess

Special Moves:
Nightmare

Dynamic stats
HP: 46
Attack: 32
Defense: 33
Special Attack: 24
Special Defense: 41
Speed: 41

Static stats (24 points):
Perception: 4
Charisma: 8
Intelligence: 5
Luck: 7
I can't see any problems with this either, though a couple of nitpicks. Typically we've been placing the Nature at the start of Personality. Also, if his father's a Haunter, they will also have access to Destiny Bond and Curse. Just so you know you have those options.

In both cases, it's best to wait a couple more turns to join, both of you. It's the middle of the night in-game and at least one player is straight up waiting for us to finish it. The two of you can join in when the next day starts.

Speaking of which, Lego, I believe it's your turn.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Both of them look fine to me. As for posting, I was waiting to see if Busters character wanted to respond to Lance noticing them. They haven’t, so I’ll get a post up sometime tomorrow.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Should I trigger the next day? I might be able to do it tomorrow (or tonight if I get a quick response), but that will be the last chance until next week since my sister's wedding is on Saturday.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’d say go for it. There’s really nothing else left to do at the moment.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Lets Go!
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Yeah, Einar isn't going to stay out walking around.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Lost internet last night. Currently working on a BoH post. Once that's done, if I have time with all of the wedding preparations, I will start the new day when I can.
-Champion Motto

22xander

Post by 22xander »

So how can I join in? Cx now that it’s morning.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Yes, you and Hawk can join in whenever you feel.
-Champion Motto

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

22? Hawk? Are you going to join? Hagane's waiting for new recruits right now. Now's your chance to join.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

It was approximately halfway through writing this next post that I decided Lance is just Pokémon All Might.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Cue Entering The Room Like A Normal Person?
Last edited by Buster on Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

No, but that is on the agenda.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

now i'm picturing a green Smeargle following him around and sketching his best moves, but keeps using them wrong and hurting himself.

Also does that mean Atum is Shōta Aizawa?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I imagine Hagane as someone from Dragon Ball, but I don't have a specific character in mind.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:Also does that mean Atum is Shōta Aizawa?
.....Oh my god, that fits WAY too well.
CyberDragon wrote:I imagine Hagane as someone from Dragon Ball, but I don't have a specific character in mind.
Piccolo?

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

and i just noticed that it replaces his name with 'toenail clippers' in the link... the heck? the only difference between the link and the proper spelling is an underscore instead of a space and the o isn't accented cause urls are finicky... how is that enough for the filter to mistake a moderately common Japanese name for swearing?
Legotron123 wrote:
CyberDragon wrote:I imagine Hagane as someone from Dragon Ball, but I don't have a specific character in mind.
Piccolo?
Broly. because they both have a super mode that makes them WAY less rational and WAY more aggressive.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Given that everyone is about to eat breakfast, I figure this is a good time to rekindle the "what should/shouldn't civilized Pokémon eat in this world" discussion that happened before I joined. It wasn't touched on before, but I would like to make the case that Pokémon are truly vegetarian and not just vegan because dairy products would not be seen as unethical.
Miltank in Super Mystery Dungeon wrote:I want more and more Pokémon to drink milk.
And
Y Pokédex wrote:[Chansey] lays several eggs a day...
Sun Pokédex wrote:The eggs laid by Chansey are rich in nutrients and a favorite food of many Pokémon.
Granted, just because Pokémon that willingly produce milk and eggs exist doesn't mean the products will be accessible or cheap or that secondary products like cheese has been invented. I would be remiss to not include one more Pokédex entry.
Ultra Moon Pokédex wrote:Because the eggs on their bellies have been overharvested by people in the past, the Chansey population remains very small.
Additionally, we aren't mirroring the source material exactly. GMs will have the final say.

Now for something completely different. Theater of the mind is great and all, but with the forum format sometimes I have trouble keeping track of what character are where and where that puts them in relation to other stuff. It would be really nice if there was something interactive like a Google sheet with the rooms of the guild so when our character moves we can move them on the sheet, but I'd be happy if someone made a regular map of the guild hall.
The cape comes with the promotion.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I think it's assumed that dairy and egg products are considered fine. This is assuming the Chansey eggs they consume don't have pokemon inside of them (in other words, aren't fertile). Chansey and Miltank willingly give their eggs and milk to other pokemon in the canon of the series, so it would be safe to assume there isn't really an ethical problem in civilization with eating or drinking them.

A google sheet might be difficult to maintain and moderate. I might be able to draw up a map of the guild hall if I get some time tomorrow. I'm no artist though, so we might need a better option. For now though, it seems literally everyone is in the cafeteria right now.
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I've done a bit of drawing, and already have a rough sketch that follows the linear flow the buildings in PMD games tend to follow. It might be a thing of abstraction for player ease. Anyway, the sketch is literally "rough lines to show the general idea of the outer walls of the building". It's few minutes of work at worst .

I'm just trying to find a way to reduce the file size on my phone because the forums don't like files over a size it hasn't specified... It's either that or workarounds using off site uploading and then embedding—which I can do, and it's a good bit faster—but it's a little clunky.
Love me right now! Done.
Champion Wallace

CyberDragon wrote:A google sheet might be difficult to maintain and moderate. I might be able to draw up a map of the guild hall if I get some time tomorrow. I'm no artist though, so we might need a better option. For now though, it seems literally everyone is in the cafeteria right now.
The thing is, using the current situation as an example, yes everyone is in the cafeteria right now, but it's hard to tell who is sitting next to whom.
Leafolawl wrote:I'm just trying to find a way to reduce the file size on my phone because the forums don't like files over a size it hasn't specified..
The maximum file size is 256 Kilobytes. It mentions that every time I try to add a picture that is too large ("The file is too big, maximum allowed size is 256 KiB.")
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Got an app to resize it. Image can now fit.

Here's the concept sketch that follows how the games lay out most buildings. It's going up a terraced landscape.
Low effort concept sketch.jpg
Low effort concept sketch.jpg (159.39 KiB) Viewed 21705 times
This image is literally just to show the bare bones idea of the outer walls.

Biggest fight was getting it to a size that fits, thank you Wallace. If it should be a centralized building, let me know, I have a few ideas on that, too.
Love me right now! Done.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Alright, it's been over a week, let me see if this clears anything up.

This was a minimum effort sketch to convey a vague idea of what I get the impression of. It is not anything that took any actual investment beyond just posting, and I'm not attached to it. Please tell me if you were thinking a different shape, or a more angular design, whatever. Or, let me know if you want me do actually do a refined version.

I just want to know if I should go all in on what I get the impression of, or if you had a design you want me to follow.
Love me right now! Done.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i don't really have anything to say about the design of the building, i'm just waiting for it to be finalized so we can resume the RP.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I mean, I think it looks fine so far. I don’t have a problem if you want to keep going with this.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

As a front view rough sketch, that's kind of similar to the layout of the building, but more detail might be needed to help give Champion Wallace and the other players an idea of where everyone is.

As I was the one to describe the building and it's layout originally, I can give a more detailed sketch of the rooms, and even a sketch of what I envision the dining room seating arrangements to currently be, which was specifically brought up.

After that, I can provide more focused sketches of the individual rooms on an as-needed basis, if needed.

Sorry, everyone. I kind of forgot this was what people were waiting on.
-Champion Motto

Champion Wallace

The sketch isn't what I originally imagined, though there isn't anything wrong with it (other then lack of detail, but it's like that because it's a first draft). In my head I pictured it more long and rectangular with a single hallway on each floor with rooms on either side and the front entrance in the middle of a long side. I'm not saying my idea is better, it's just good that we're clearing this up so we don't run into miscommunications later one due to differing umwelt. Don't worry Cyber; I wasn't waiting on a map to post. I have no excuse for why it's been so long since my last IC post. I'll get on that when I can.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I won't be able to do the sketch today. At least, not have it done. I've got a ton of writing to do, and I'm not even near being done.
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I wouldn't even consider what I showed a first draft. I put no effort into it, I just drew a general shape and it came out looking like a potato/lobster hybrid. I had no love for it. I changed a lot of it in refining it.
20190820_184757-373x452.jpg
20190820_184757-373x452.jpg (52.62 KiB) Viewed 21359 times
This is the one I call rough draft. The most recent version resembles a flower, and I'm only really making it symmetrical before I move to the next iteration where I'll call it done. Some features left to be added, then it's just decorative details.

The reason I didn't do rectangular design is because as far as we can tell from the games, pokemon seem to prefer rounded designs for their buildings. Inside I definitely do imagine use of angular design inside though, so you're not completely off.

Edit: Didn't know what to do with the observatory section. Remember, it's a top down view, so it's not showing windows, I'm not giving any x-ray view because Cyber is doing inside. This is not reflective of what the building looks like from above, but I tried.
Good enough for one day.jpg
Good enough for one day.jpg (201.61 KiB) Viewed 21316 times
Colored it because I was feeling cute, though I don't actually know what colors it is so I did a default stone-esque color for the "exposed" building. Thought hit me that Pokemon wouldn't make a building like that and then make it so it can't be walked on. Let me know if I messed anything up.
Love me right now! Done.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Crossposting this with Beacon, just a heads up that I might not be able to post too much for the next week. With school starting up again, the theater I work at lost a lot of seasonal employees, and the ones who are staying are drastically decreasing their availability, I’m working more shifts this week, and will probably be working more shifts until we manage to get some new workers. Just wanted to let you know why I might be taking a bit longer than usual to post.

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Hope it doesn't stay like that long, Lego. Working long hours is stressful.

Also, Cyber, I'm not good with bright yellows. The orange used before was fine, but the only reason I could read the Alakazam's words this time is that my phone can zoom in enough that the yellow stops being a solid blob.
Love me right now! Done.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Fixed. Hopefully that's better.
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Yes, it is.

So that there's yellows to pick from, I've been toying with them all day to find the brightest I can read without it being a problem.

Example text: Cwm fjord bank glyphs vext quiz. Hex color code #D2D200.

Adding any amount of blue seems to lack effect until it turns grey and starts blending with the background some(which happens close to #D2D2AA).
Love me right now! Done.
Champion Wallace

When I created my character I felt a bit selfish for giving him a secret to keep from most of the other players, but as stuff has been revealed my reaction has been a bit like Buster's:
Buster wrote:and here i thought "children of a former adventurer who hooked up with an Ex-bandit who lied about the 'Ex-' part" would be a shock, but that one-ups what i had in mind by leagues. :shock:
I realized that keeping a secret forever would neither be feasible, nor fun, so instead my goal was to make people guess incorrectly what Trent's deal is.

On a different note, I drew a portrait of Trent, Phoebe and Sidney. I edited it into my character sheet post.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I think making it fun is in the pacing. We have a lot of different threads to get to in time, so I wouldn't worry too much on if keeping it secret will hinder things(and for some it can be fun to encounter secrets being kept, whether they figure it out or not).

I also have a few wild ideas on what the secret is, from "Trent is hiding in the guild to protect a secret item while his adoptive parents run interference. Trent is also a fake name." to "He's a plant from a criminal group" and even "Trent is actually a ditto in something similar to witness protection."
Love me right now! Done.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Theories:
"Trent is the RP's resident Ex-Human, cause there always seems to be one in PMD, and blane the charizard knows."
"Blane The charizard is trent's Ex."
"Blane The Charizard is trent's real dad (Dont ask, he cant figure out how it happened either)."
"Blane The Charizard is the real Trent and Trent is actually Blane, but they got mind-switched because of an encounter with a hungover mewtwo, and neither likes to talk about it because it's an embarrassing story."
Champion Wallace

Leafolawl wrote:I also have a few wild ideas on what the secret is, from "Trent is hiding in the guild to protect a secret item while his adoptive parents run interference. Trent is also a fake name." to "He's a plant from a criminal group" and even "Trent is actually a ditto in something similar to witness protection."
Buster wrote:Theories:
"Trent is the RP's resident Ex-Human, cause there always seems to be one in PMD, and blane the charizard knows."
"Blane The charizard is trent's Ex."
"Blane The Charizard is trent's real dad (Dont ask, he cant figure out how it happened either)."
"Blane The Charizard is the real Trent and Trent is actually Blane, but they got mind-switched because of an encounter with a hungover mewtwo, and neither likes to talk about it because it's an embarrassing story."
Muahahahahaha!
CyberDragon wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:Trent slowly raises his spotless muzzle out of the bowl with a leaf sticking out of his mouth. His eyes slowly pan over to the mercenaries. Oh no! It's those Pokémon! Wait, calm down. They can't possibly know who I am; that shouldn't be possible. Unless! Trent quickly turns his head to look behind him. *Sigh* Now I'm just being paranoid. Trent looks back at the berry salad and resumes eating, but that isn't where his focus is.
The alakazam among the group glanced up at the 'sound' of Trent's mental panic. He turned his attention back to the berry he was calmly munching on. A word from the wise... His voice spoke in Trent's head. If you wish for a secret to be kept, do not think about it so loudly around psychic types. He said without once moving his mouth to speak or even shifting his gaze to the person he was telepathically speaking to.
Hagane can read minds because Lucarios can sense aura in all living things (which according to the Pokédex just informs it with what something is and how its feeling. We took some creative liberties with that). An Alakazam can not sense aura, nor can it have the ability Telepathy or the attack Mind Reader (although Mind Reader explicitly is "The user senses the target's movements with its mind..."). Additionally, Alakazam's Pokédex descriptions say nothing about reading minds, just that it's spoons are magical and made by the Pokémon, it has an IQ of 5,000, and it has virtually no muscle mass so it moves its limbs with psychic energy. The majority of Pokémon that can have the ability Telepathy are Psychic types, so Mr. Cayce's advice isn't altogether faulty, but my point here is he shouldn't be giving such advice to Trent right now in such a way for multiple reasons.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Guess it didn't get revealed while I was away... I'm tempted to give them a hint on his secret so they can lead the rp in a way so it can be revealed. Would you mind me doing that so long as I didn't essentially give it away with the hint?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Pearl Pokedex Entry wrote:"Its highly developed brain is on par with a supercomputer. It can use all forms of psychic abilities."
While Alakazam's primary psychic power is telekinesis, it isn't too much of a stretch I think to say that the OG main psychic type can probably speak telepathically or read minds, even if he can't technically learn those as combat moves or abilities, but I guess it's up to Gameb18oy now that he's back.
-Champion Motto

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:
Pearl Pokedex Entry wrote:"Its highly developed brain is on par with a supercomputer. It can use all forms of psychic abilities."
While Alakazam's primary psychic power is telekinesis, it isn't too much of a stretch I think to say that the OG main psychic type can probably speak telepathically or read minds, even if he can't technically learn those as combat moves or abilities, but I guess it's up to Gameb18oy now that he's back.
I think the usual headcanon on psychic types is they all can read minds aside from maybe some of the dumb ones like slowpoke. They are incapable of doing so with dark types due to their immunity though and we can nerf it in other ways if other players want that