Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

"Stupid enough" ≠ actually stupid.

It makes sense to put the lock on, it's just that he wasn't paying enough attention to his partner. That's a pretty easy to call mistake. If I was bothering to be 100% accurate, I'd have probably gone with oblivious.


They introduce the Awakening mechanic in chapter one, I just have what's called "Leaf Luck" or "Probability inversion." Depends on what group you ask. I got like three during the story and I haven't beat the post-game objective yet (mostly from not playing), but I've had one or two since the story's end. It's rare, it's just I encounter nonsense in chances.

Awakening is "Mega-Evolution lite", essentially. One might call it a prototype of "Dynamaxing", where it's just a general boost instead of being an evolution... but that's about the end of the similarities. In universe, Awakening emeras allow a single Pokemon using a looplet as a catalyst to "bring our their best," or to mega-evolve. The game does the former by boosting stats and making you immune to attacks from Pokemon you're facing.

It's described as a magical rush of energy that helps one focus on the task at hand, and invigorates both body and mind, if I recall. Don't feel like restarting to find out specifics, as I'm still gatherimg legendary treasures, but if I 100% the game soon I'll go back through to actually take notes from... Was the teacher Farfetch'd or Watchog?

Regardless, it's a tame thing in the game. Here, it's multiple players. While I trust everyone, I don't think it's a good idea to use the emera system in general. That's pausing to delegate every time they run into some emeras. Ever have loot talks in D&D?
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
Buster
Game Master
Posts: 5253
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Σ Disturbing Exploding Face

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Buster »

We figured out a way to streamline that ages ago. all the dungeon loot goes in a bag of holding we don't touch till the end of that quest. once done we each roll init and take turns picking items from the loot bag draft style, then once its divided up, you can trade, buy or sell with each other.

that way we only eat up half of the last session before the next quest instead of half of every session.
Last edited by Buster on Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
June wrote:"I don't think I've tried board games. are they tasty?"
Characters

User avatar
Gameb18oy
Game Master
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Gameb18oy »

CyberDragon wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:Hey Cyber, doubt any of our players will have access to them early on, but felt it be good to touch on this publically? You think all megas have an effect like that or is Hagone a special case? Also, think I remember Super had a semi mega thing going on for pokemon that don't have them, so you think we should discuss that a little as well?
I don't really know about how Pokemon Mystery Dungeon does Mega Evolution. TBH, the "Mystery Dungeon" (randomly generated dungeons that change every time you enter them) part of the games always ended up boring me once the main story was over, and I'd stop playing. When you randomly generate everything in order for things to be different every time, then everything ends up looking the same. The quests are all the same, the dungeons are all the same, everything is just monotonous climbing. As such, I never ended up getting to the Mega Evolution part of that game, or even really the "Awakening" part.

I do know that Mega Lucario is specifically mentioned to go berserk, and is shown to do so in the anime. This is due to Mega Lucario becoming entirely focused on fighting instinct, with anything that may be a restraint (such as honor, morality, mercy, actual restraint) is removed or suppressed by that instinct. Some Mega forms have similar things, while others don't. For example, Mega Gyarados has a powerful destructive instinct, but... well, so does regular Gyarados. Mega Alakazam, however, doesn't seem to have any mention of becoming more violent. Instead, it becomes much, much smarter.

So I think the effect the mega form has on pokemon depends on the species. I don't know what the deal with Awakening is.

As far as Blaine, he wasn't actually being stupid. One of the locks on Hagone's door came undone, and he tried fixing it. He missed Mr. Mime's warnings that Hagone would be able to sense him through the door if he got too close because he was busy arranging things so he could get a slumber wand from the combee. Mr. Mime doesn't talk (because mime reference) and so Blaine didn't realize he was saying anything.

Granted, Blaine is probably the least intelligent and least experienced member of the mercenary group, but he's also the youngest.
Could see them gaining a god complex from the increased intelligence, though that just expands my question a little, do you think the personality of a pokemon can often change with mega evolutions. Hagane of course is the worst case scenario, but if we had say an audino mega evolve, maybe that would change it's personality, but not necessarily make it more bloodthirsty.

Moving onto Leaf, we'll probably not introduce many chances to use emeras, but if they appear, then we'll just make sure in the rp they have some counter to them that makes them a gambit. Considering I think awakening leads to the user taking damage over time, not too big a stretch to say it pretty much destroys the body to use them for too long, kinda like rock lee opening the gates in the best part of naruto barring nothing. Speaking of Dynamax as well (Also can we all just get excited about a dark type gym finally getting to be a thing since all the types are appearing in Galar?) should we consider incorporating elements from future games into the rp?

User avatar
Legotron123
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm
Location: Colorado, missing Michigan

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Legotron123 »

In the games, Emeras shatter as soon as they’re taken out of the dungeon they spawn in, and it’s completely random which one you find/get from collecting dust (I.E. us GMs get to decide), which I feel is sufficient to keep them from being OP. As for Dynamaxing and other upcoming features, I feel like we should wait until the games have been out for a least a week or two, make sure everyone actually knows how it works, before introducing it into the RP. Maybe make a vague reference to it before then, but that’s it.
I am so tired of the people I look up to turning out to be jerks.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

Legotron123 wrote:In the games, Emeras shatter as soon as they’re taken out of the dungeon they spawn in, and it’s completely random which one you find/get from collecting dust (I.E. us GMs get to decide), which I feel is sufficient to keep them from being OP.
This, and in universe it's said the power of a mystery dungeon is the only thing that allows them to exist. This is also extends to the reasoning as to why different dungeons have different drop tables for emeras.

It's very much a use 'em or lose 'em situation.

The D&D loot comparison was only for the "x item would be fantastic for y character" style arguments. Even then, the guild is probably going to relieve many of the hold item scares we as players might have.


Making emeras permanent would open things up a lot, but Gameboy presents an interesting way of balancing the fact that you can stack them. Drawbacks. For example, voice/sound based attacks in the same "room" affect you when using the Big Ears emera. Yes, friendly ones as well.

But, drawbacks should only be applied if making them permanent is done.


I think Lego has a good stance for new mechanics though. I will need Dynamaxing explained when it comes, though.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
CyberDragon
Moderator
Posts: 3622
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:41 am
Location: The Depths of Cyberspace

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by CyberDragon »

Honestly I don't like the idea of keeping the Emeras. Or really even having them in this game. The mechanics and abilities they introduce can be easily regulated in a video game, and the game itself can keep track of all of them behind the scenes. Someone would have to keep track of who has what emera, what it does, to what extent, and how the ability translates into a story based game rather than an RPG style video game. We're already doing that for all of the other pokemon mechanics. I don't want to do that with Emeras as well.

Dynamaxing, while I agree should wait until the game actually comes out, seems much easier to implement and manage. The mechanic is simpler. You grow big, your power grows proportionately.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!

User avatar
Legotron123
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm
Location: Colorado, missing Michigan

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Legotron123 »

While I disagree with most of your points regarding emeras, they’re not really important enough to make a fuss over. Looplets are certainly a lot less special without them, but most of them are still rather useful on their own.
I am so tired of the people I look up to turning out to be jerks.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

Which is itself an argument against them, I would think. Emeras either mimic the effects of held items, orbs, a move, or wands, but they don't do much on their own. It's a convenience for gameplay that I feel doesn't translate well to written media. "Here's a boost, you're losing it after this mission" and "Here's a boost to keep track of but it has drawbacks" are both a punch in the gut, especially when our narrative isn't about the mystery dungeons.

A player should feel great for cleverly stringing things together in a way that makes sense. Even in Super, I feel emeras are bloat that detract from good planning. They might offer new approaches, but ultimately you can do everything they offer without them.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
Gameb18oy
Game Master
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Gameb18oy »

So been talking over I had with the other GMs and we've decided it be good to let you guys suggest arcs to go into within the rp. If we like the ideas brought forth, we'll help direct events for them to occur

User avatar
Buster
Game Master
Posts: 5253
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Σ Disturbing Exploding Face

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Buster »

Were not even out of Tutorial Town yet...
June wrote:"I don't think I've tried board games. are they tasty?"
Characters

User avatar
CyberDragon
Moderator
Posts: 3622
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:41 am
Location: The Depths of Cyberspace

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by CyberDragon »

If I recall, Lego was suggesting arcs and characters before Beacon of Hope even started, so it's not unreasonable to at least open up the opportunity.

We aren't saying to start making arcs now. We're just giving players the option in the future to do so.

By the way, I'll be posting later today. I just have some work to do first.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

Additionally, if you do decide to try making arcs right now, you have ample time to refine it. I've always been working on ideas myself, including the possibility of another main character after I reduce Chailyn to secondary.

That's for a later time though.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
Gameb18oy
Game Master
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Gameb18oy »

Also Buster, was figuring suggestions for arcs would increase engagement here and there, want you guys to feel as involved in stuff as possible

User avatar
Champion Wallace
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm
Location: Sootopolis City penthouse

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Champion Wallace »

Gameb18oy wrote:You think all megas have an effect like that or is Hagone a special case? Also, think I remember Super had a semi mega thing going on for pokemon that don't have them, so you think we should discuss that a little as well?
As Leafolawl said, awakening is a generic form of Mega Evolving, but its also less extreme. From Bulbapedia:
Mega Evolution article wrote:Mega-Evolved Pokémon will go into Berserk mode. In Berserk mode, the Pokémon will move around and use a powerful attack on any Pokémon surrounding it, friend and foe alike. This will go away after a while, and the Pokémon will revert to normal. When Mega Evolved, its regular attack will get a huge boost in power and range, destroy walls, and reveal purple sparkling spots on the floor which can be picked up for an item.
Attaching an Awakening Emera to a Pokémon that cannot Mega Evolve increases its stats by a lot and give it different boosts. Pokémon that cannot Mega Evolve with an Awakening Emera attached will not go into Berserk mode.
A Mega Evolved Pokémon is much stronger than and awakened Pokémon, which is much stronger than a regular Pokémon, but (in that game at least) all megas go berserk eventually, it's only a matter of time.
Gameb18oy wrote:Could see them gaining a god complex from the increased intelligence, though that just expands my question a little, do you think the personality of a pokemon can often change with mega evolutions. Hagane of course is the worst case scenario, but if we had say an audino mega evolve, maybe that would change it's personality, but not necessarily make it more bloodthirsty.
For this I want to share a quote from Pokémon GO. It's about shadow Pokémon, the mechanic from Pokémon Coloseum and XD: Gale of Darkness, but it's so applicable you could just change the word "shadow" to "Mega Evolved" and it would still make logical sense.
Professor Willow wrote:While Pokémon naturally become stronger through training, these Shadow Pokémon seem to have been overpowered through unnatural means.
As a result, their bodies painfully struggle with not knowing how to control this strength.
With both shadow and megas the Pokemon is quickly imbued with great strength. Even if Mega Evolution doesn't change the brain chemistry of all species like Lucario, they'll have more power than they they'll know what to do with and won't likely know what their doing. It would be hard for any Pokémon to train while mega, even ones that wouldn't require mercenaries. Mega Evolving doesn't look too healthy or pleasant. If nothing else, there's got to be a reason it's impossible to keep a Pokémon Mega Evolved for extended periods of time in the games.
Gameb18oy wrote:Speaking of Dynamax as well (Also can we all just get excited about a dark type gym finally getting to be a thing since all the types are appearing in Galar?) should we consider incorporating elements from future games into the rp?
With dynamaxing in particular if we decide not to include it we'll at least get to use the same cop-out that none of the locations we go to are right for dynamaxing. I don't see anything wrong with incorporating it, other then it seems only two can do it at once so it's not as fair if we come to a dynamax opponent and only one party member can really do stuff (or if you're the opinion it shouldn't be in Pokémon games in the first place). It would be nice to get stats and the mechanics of how it worked which we won't get till when the games come out, but it's not like we're using the exact stat calculations for everything else either.
Leafolawl wrote:Which is itself an argument against them, I would think. Emeras either mimic the effects of held items, orbs, a move, or wands, but they don't do much on their own. It's a convenience for gameplay that I feel doesn't translate well to written media. "Here's a boost, you're losing it after this mission" and "Here's a boost to keep track of but it has drawbacks" are both a punch in the gut, especially when our narrative isn't about the mystery dungeons.

A player should feel great for cleverly stringing things together in a way that makes sense. Even in Super, I feel emeras are bloat that detract from good planning. They might offer new approaches, but ultimately you can do everything they offer without them.
In my non-professional opinion as a video game player, the inclusion of looplets and emeras was another attempt at reworking held items to better suit Mystery Dungeon's mechanics. whether they succeeded can be debated, but I think the main objective was to introduce more macro level decisions into the gameplay loop. When you get in a skirmish with an opponent, if you didn't faint chances are you'll be full health by then next floor. With emeras, your decision will stick with you the rest of the dungeon (but unlike finding a better defense scarf, you get to go through this process again the next day). The emera countdown encourages you to not optimize the fun out of the game with different play styles. Normally, when you enter a room with multiple (or even one if you're desperate) Pokémon the strategy with the highest chance of success is to retreat and lure them into the hallway where they'll be bottlenecked and your party can use Quick Attack and whatnot. However, with an emera in play you'll often be fighting with fewer advantages to pick it up as soon as possible. The dusting mechanic also makes for multiple fail states. You can get the dust for part of an emera after clearing a room, or you can run away entirely if there are too strong opponents. Lastly, looplets and emeras let them add Mega Evolution in without problems such as staying mega the entire time, collecting the 48 different stones and other stuff people didn't like about Species specific items from Explorers.

Anyway, now that I'm done defending game mechanics my conclusion is looplets and emeras were designed to improve the mechanics of the game, but at the expense of not contributing much for world building. They contribute even less to roleplaying, especially because they're impermanent. Having your character wear a red silk scarf says more about them then having them in possession of a ring with a rock they happened to find that day. If we want to use permanent emeras, we might as well go with regular held items. Of course, that begs the question of do we use held items from earlier Mystery Dungeon games, the main series games, or both.

I don't think anyone answered my question of if Zoruas should be able to speak telepathically. It's canon, but never explained. If the escapee is a Zoroark I'd rather get this settled sooner rather than later.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Image
Image

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

I would say it takes a particularly special Zorua, but that's mostly because when you run into these movie Pokemon they tend to be exactly that–particularly exceptional examples of that Pokemon, or ones with borderline divine missions.

Of course, that could just be so that the Pokemon can communicate with humans. We don't have a need for that kind of thing, as it's all Pokemon. The defense for is as much an argument against.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
Champion Wallace
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm
Location: Sootopolis City penthouse

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Champion Wallace »

That's the exact opposite of the argument for Hagane being able to use Telepathy. You have a species with unique supernatural abilities, but none of which are speaking telepathically in the games, anime, etc until it's the main character of a movie where it can talk to the human protagonists with its mind. I understand that we're cherry picking from sources because Pokémon have expanded to lots of different media, none of which was designed for a Mystery Dungeon roll play, but we should at least be consistent! However, I realize now I should drop this because even if I'm right, nobody wins in that case. It's come up far too often in the RP for us to change it going forward without consequence.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Image
Image

User avatar
CyberDragon
Moderator
Posts: 3622
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:41 am
Location: The Depths of Cyberspace

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by CyberDragon »

Part of the reason Hagane is so adept at using his aura sense and manipulation to communicate telepathically is that he has a medicham in his bloodline. Medicham are one of the few pokemon that can learn Mind Reader and can have the Telepathy ability.

Regardless, like you said, Hagane has been established repeatedly to have the ability to use his aura to communicate telepathically, to the point where changing it now would potentially have consequences or cause inconsistencies going forward. However, due to how controversial telepathy is, we're also going to try to limit the number of telepathic major characters going forward.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!

User avatar
Legotron123
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm
Location: Colorado, missing Michigan

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Legotron123 »

Plus, while Lucario has multiple Pokédex entries mentioning it’s telepathy (or at least it’s mind reading), none of Zorua’s entries mention anything like that, which suggests the one from the 13th movie is somehow unique.
I am so tired of the people I look up to turning out to be jerks.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?

User avatar
Buster
Game Master
Posts: 5253
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Σ Disturbing Exploding Face

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Buster »

Legotron123 wrote:which suggests the one from the 13th movie is somehow unique.
or the writers couldn't figure out how in the world to get around pokemon speech seeming to be based on rythim and pitch rather than phonetics, and went "oh forget it, make the thing a mind reader."
June wrote:"I don't think I've tried board games. are they tasty?"
Characters

User avatar
Legotron123
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm
Location: Colorado, missing Michigan

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:which suggests the one from the 13th movie is somehow unique.
or the writers couldn't figure out how in the world to get around pokemon speech seeming to be based on rythim and pitch rather than phonetics, and went "oh forget it, make the thing a mind reader."
I mean, yeah,, but I was trying to make sense of it from an in universe viewpoint.
I am so tired of the people I look up to turning out to be jerks.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

The uncertainty just falls to one of my earlier points. Telepathy is usually not fully considered (leaving plot holes or unwanted implications), a crutch, or poorly explained. If it's only limited to specifically Pokemon with the move mind reader, Pokedex entries mentioning the species can, or the ability telepathy, it's a good start.

However, it's already been decided. I'm sorry I was the one who came in there with that hurricane of a consideration. Out of character defense for Hagane though, is the G.M.s should know about your characters. That just gives an in-universe reason to do so.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
Champion Wallace
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm
Location: Sootopolis City penthouse

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Champion Wallace »

CyberDragon wrote:Part of the reason Hagane is so adept at using his aura sense and manipulation to communicate telepathically is that he has a medicham in his bloodline. Medicham are one of the few pokemon that can learn Mind Reader and can have the Telepathy ability.
If that's the reason Hagane can talk to others with his mind then why is said ancestry, let alone the move Mind Reader, not in his character sheet if not because he failed to inherit the ability to read minds from a Medicham bloodline?
Legotron123 wrote: Lucario has multiple Pokédex entries mentioning it’s telepathy (or at least it’s mind reading)
Buster wrote:"oh forget it, make the thing a mind reader."
Mind reading≠telepathic speaker. I admit that I missed the Pearl entry the first time I looked through Lucario's Pokédex entries, but reading minds isn't Hagane's only telepathic feat. He can also project his thoughts on others.
Buster wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:which suggests the one from the 13th movie is somehow unique.
or the writers couldn't figure out how in the world to get around pokemon speech seeming to be based on rythim and pitch rather than phonetics, and went "oh forget it, make the thing a mind reader."
You could say the same thing about why the 8th movie had a unique Lucario.
Leafolawl wrote:However, it's already been decided. I'm sorry I was the one who came in there with that hurricane of a consideration. Out of character defense for Hagane though, is the G.M.s should know about your characters. That just gives an in-universe reason to do so.
So how much does Hagane and the guild masters know about the Rendrock prince, honorific heir to a clan known for, among other things, "destructive violence"?
The cape comes with the promotion.
Image
Image

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

I actually was thinking about that recently.

Where Gameboy has confirmed Atum has been to Basa Lurrak, I've proposed the idea they might recognize him. Einar is four years older than Kimera, or five years older than Scallop. Scallop knew his mom, which means it's likely that the guild masters continued to be active until less than a decade ago. Nothing says they couldn't have gone to Basa Lurrak repeatedly in that time period.

However, given it was years ago that Einar(Rockruff) vanished, it could be assumed he was overconfident and went out into the lands surrounding his home to... Well, it's a dangerous place. Wouldn't be the first it happened in the clan's history, either.

He's had time to attend schools, and assuming short learning periods based on the relative tech level, that could be a minimum three years of study depending on how much of an expert we say he is.

He spent at least a few months or a year traveling and learning basics of culture though. I'd add a few years because Super shows the world has a basic curriculum. I'd personally go with three years basic studies, two years on specialized studies, and one year traveling... though not necessarily in that order. That's a good bit of time to fall from memory, especially as a child from foreign lands.


What the G.M.s want to go with from that, considering he literally just walked into the guild recruitment and made himself at home. (Minus the bits about his education, of course. That hasn't come up yet.)


If I were to set out what Hagane knows about Einar specifically from the aura reading, following what I know from my interest in the paranormal...
  • Einar is not his true name, but it is his name. For example, it's like a Samuel going by Sam. (Something unique, present in his day-to-day life.)
  • His real name is obscured by the fact that it isn't used much, and that it's easy for those not from Basa Lurrak to mistake for species. (Something quiet in his life.)
  • He's traveled overseas. (A life changing event.)
  • He feels torn in some ways for leaving home without a word to anyone. (A life changing event, a gripping guilt.)
  • He's afraid that if he goes home, he'll never be able to follow his dream. (A constant fear.)
  • He hopes to see the world's cultures for himself, so he can firm his opinions without the prejudice of others in the way. (A powerful driving force in his life.)

If you were expecting something about him ripping something apart, consider... he's still a child, and he's not very strong.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
Champion Wallace
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm
Location: Sootopolis City penthouse

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Champion Wallace »

Leafolawl wrote:If you were expecting something about him ripping something apart, consider... he's still a child, and he's not very strong.
Of course not. Einar looks like an upstanding young gentlemen. I was just commenting on how Einar's history could be taken the wrong way if out of context and of the several recruits with shady backstories, only T appears to have been caught so far.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Image
Image

User avatar
Legotron123
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm
Location: Colorado, missing Michigan

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Legotron123 »

I’m so sorry I took so long to post guys. I thought I was still waiting for a response, when everyone I was waiting for responded weeks ago. I’ll try not to mess up like this again,
I am so tired of the people I look up to turning out to be jerks.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?

User avatar
Gameb18oy
Game Master
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Gameb18oy »

Legotron123 wrote:I’m so sorry I took so long to post guys. I thought I was still waiting for a response, when everyone I was waiting for responded weeks ago. I’ll try not to mess up like this again,
No apology necessary Lego, this is a slower paced rp anyway

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

I'm upset with myself for only just now catching on to the fact that I have a jolly gloom. How did I miss that for so long?
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
Buster
Game Master
Posts: 5253
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Σ Disturbing Exploding Face

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Buster »

the same way the rest of us did?
June wrote:"I don't think I've tried board games. are they tasty?"
Characters

User avatar
Champion Wallace
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm
Location: Sootopolis City penthouse

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Champion Wallace »

I didn't explicitly intend this, but with the character traits I gave him Trent turned out to be really self conscious about his body, so I'm just going to roll with it.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Image
Image

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

I think surprise traits are nice. Personally I find these unexpected bits of personality make a character more fun to play, as well as more interesting and/or well rounded. That said, we tend to want to see the best in our characters, and many consider vanity to be a negative trait. I think it's cute though.

On the same coin, Einar's temper I expected; it comes with being an impish individual. However, the specificity of his frustration with the guild masters' fight got me. He's not upset with the fight itself, he's upset with the idea that it was only being done to show how strong they are. I did not think him the type to be so pedantic about a fight.

Of course, the only reason he snapped about it was because there was more stress being added between being literally dragged out to watch and then laughed at, only to have that followed up with being blindsided with talk about his home that he doesn't want to talk about (yet).
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

So I woke up extra early today and got to thinking about a few different characters because that's what I do when it's quiet and I can't really do anything that makes more l noise. Doing this, I realized Einar's character design leaves more room for him to actively decide to leave the guild than you'd think. So I thought I'd need a backup character or three, just in case.

These are what I came up with, and I just thought I'd ask which sounds more interesting so I can focus on developing them if things take that turn.
  • 1) A bold Fletchling who's a bit too smart for his own good, tends to think higher of himself than others, though this only seems to feed into his desire to protect.
    2) An Eevee that's good hearted and wants to be helpful to everyone, but is both naive and gullible, which leaves her easy to manipulate.
    3) A Snivy more interested in the glamour and trinkets than actually helping, but she believes if fame were easy to get, no one would be.
There's one other I could use, but she's being worked on regardless. I have other plans for that one.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
Champion Wallace
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm
Location: Sootopolis City penthouse

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Champion Wallace »

My vote is for number 3: the rising star Snivy. That one sounds the most interesting and complements the existing crew well (if you swap Einar out you could raise the average PC level :)).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think people waiting on Gameb18oy to discuss assignments with Hagane so the PCs can go out to look for treasure or explore unknown places... or something less adventurous.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Image
Image

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

A bit more than that. Rose and Luke need to eat still, I plan on disengaging Einar from Baja if Buster lacks anything for her to say to his offer (or just missed that Einar asked a question) and engage him in other things until everything is set, and that still leaves Scallop without anything big to do in the meantime.

I suspect the guild masters might keep talking while this happens as well, or they might see to their own tasks to ready themselves and everyone else for the day ahead.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
Gameb18oy
Game Master
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote:My vote is for number 3: the rising star Snivy. That one sounds the most interesting and complements the existing crew well (if you swap Einar out you could raise the average PC level :)).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think people waiting on Gameb18oy to discuss assignments with Hagane so the PCs can go out to look for treasure or explore unknown places... or something less adventurous.
oof, sorry for making you guys wait

User avatar
Buster
Game Master
Posts: 5253
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Σ Disturbing Exploding Face

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Buster »

sorry, i haven't been paying much attention to anything going on with baja, as the glacial pace luke (and by extension anyone interacting with him) is moving at has me more frustrated than having fun with this RP...
June wrote:"I don't think I've tried board games. are they tasty?"
Characters

User avatar
Legotron123
Posts: 3923
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:54 pm
Location: Colorado, missing Michigan

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Legotron123 »

I should have a post up sometime today or tomorrow Buster. Sorry it’s been taking so long, I just keep forgetting I haven’t already posted.
I am so tired of the people I look up to turning out to be jerks.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?

User avatar
Buster
Game Master
Posts: 5253
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:26 pm
Location: Σ Disturbing Exploding Face

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Buster »

bit of a headcannon that the traditional way to serve pokepuffs is skewered on a little metal stick that looks suspiciously like a DS stylus...
June wrote:"I don't think I've tried board games. are they tasty?"
Characters

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

You might want to give that a second look, GB. Explicitly stated the smaller group is going with Chailyn.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

User avatar
CyberDragon
Moderator
Posts: 3622
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:41 am
Location: The Depths of Cyberspace

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by CyberDragon »

So... I don't like having to bring this up, but...

With Gameb18oy having been gone with no word for three weeks, Buster having left a few weeks earlier, and now at least one other person expressing a desire to leave, I don't know if this game can survive so many people leaving, especially considering how slowly things have been moving.

So I have to ask, is there still any interest in this game? Should we end it?
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!

User avatar
Leafolawl
Posts: 1882
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:11 pm
Location: Currently on hold, please wait.

Re: Non-HPU: Pokémon: Explorers of the Veil

Post by Leafolawl »

I'm still interested in it, though I'm sure that isn't a surprise with how much effort I put forth. I'll be here if this gets traction again, you can bet on it.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?

Post Reply