Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buster
Game Master

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by Buster »

I... Wasn't actually paying attention to that side story...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Lego, your turn to post dude..
Profile Picture by Hukley
Character Reference
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Just did.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

Replied. Thanks Lego!
Character Reference
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Oh, for those more familiar with imperial, Kobor's height equates to 8' 2 1/2", and he's about twice as wide as he is tall due to the crablike legs. If you don't count the legs, he's as long as he is tall, but half as wide. The legs are as big as they are because having his entire body mass inside the shell's core would make it extremely top-heavy without the wide base. It's also the biggest contributing factor to his slow movement.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'm almost serious with the 'littering' thing. It's happened before. Check this page out, most particularly the bit about Skylab. http://www.nullarbornet.com.au/towns/balladonia.html
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:"Actually nothing uses those engines anymore.
not likely. as long as there is air travel, there will be internal combustion, because a turbine if built correctly can run on alcohol and still have a better TWR than the most efficient electric engine physically possible, due to not needing a battery array/generator.

also combustion is a lot easier to explain in a hurry to someone who's not making sense, than induction and magnetic differentials.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

We were talking about cars, not airplanes. By nothing, he means no ground vehicle or car uses them anymore. Many aircraft use biofuels. Some of them, like the shuttles the beacon uses, use plasma jet engines due to the fact that, with micro-reactors and stable fusion generators making electricity much cheaper than combustion fuel, generating plasma is cheaper than burning the fuel those craft would need to escape the earth's gravity.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

kay.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

So, I’m guessing a Ghrakkal looks like a more primitive version of this?
Attachments
793A053D-30CB-4BB7-A43A-D4D7ADDBE36A.jpeg
793A053D-30CB-4BB7-A43A-D4D7ADDBE36A.jpeg (22.15 KiB) Viewed 11133 times
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

no cobra fringes or psudo mamalian traits, longer face, tail is much longer and has xenomorph like bony ridges, overall body texture like a Regal horned lizard, and arms more like this thing
(which are the same shape as the suits arms btw)

if you're wondering what they're like, picture a planet that's half Endor-on-miracle-gro, half Arrakis, with the jungle patches only surrounding the scarce few lakes and rivers, and everything wants to eat you, even half of the plants. these guys were top dog there, until the discovery of antibiotics wiped out the diseases limiting the spread of a certain parasite...
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I’m stuck on one of the dumbest things I’ve ever been stuck on for a post. Is Kobor to Kolts left or right? I know he’s behind Tempest, but I can’t remember what side she’s on.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Doesn't really matter. Whatever you pick, it will be correct.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the relative direction is... currently undefined..?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I never stated what direction Tempest set Kolt down facing because I didn't consider that an important detail. The relative direction and position and direction of Rika, Kolt, and Morgan is undefined until someone defines it.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Schroedinger's Kolt? :P
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Exactly.

BTW, I start work tomorrow. It sounds like my hours will be pretty reasonable, so I'll probably still be posting daily, but likely not until the afternoon, so things might slow down some days.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Finally. It's really great coming back to an entire page of posts after work.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

...I cant tell if that was genuine or sarcasm.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Transivimus per latus - "We went a side way" in Latin according to Google Translate. Seems a decent motto.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That's kind of a thing I've noticed with RPs. Especially when a new character is introduced. I've got 7 players I'm trying to synchronize and two (technically 3) new characters introduced. Once Talya and Hivemind finish their discussion which is basically to make sure they aren't a threat, things will continue again. In fact, I might continue the plot as soon as Kolt is up and Rika and Tempest are free to head out. Hivemind's conversation might take a few turns.
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Buster wrote:...I cant tell if that was genuine or sarcasm.
Genuine sarcasm.
~\Rook/~

Post by ~\Rook/~ »

I just need Lego's reply and i'm still thinking of Rika's reaction to the Kaal..
Character Reference
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I think Lego will post soon.

Hey guys, I wanted to ask if there was anything that I can do to improve your experience playing this RP? I realize that right now a lot of people don't have anything to do, and that might be the problem for some. I have plans for later in the day that will involve everyone. Is there anything else that I can do to help make things more fun?
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the only thing that needs work in my eyes is the pacing being all over the place, but that's pretty much inevitable when the main group can't easily split up to accommodate slower players or side-plots. i can't really think of a way to fix that without undermining the entire premise of the RP.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Once Rook posts, I'll make the next major plot post. Next post will have most of the group moving out. Hivemind will stay behind and continue interrogating the newcomer and Alexander and Gear should probably start wrapping up their conversation pretty soon so they can sync up. That, or they will just still be talking when the others find them. Actually, that might be better...

Also, does anyone else have any suggestions?
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Suggestions for what? Whether or not the team should have their own Tokusatsu style giant combiner robot? Because the answer is yes yes yesyesyesyesYES, and if you need help designing it, I can have a list of Zords and a combination sequence by Thursday.
I REALLY like giant robots.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Don't worry, Lego. There will be many a giant robot before all is said and done.

But no, I meant is there anything that I can do to help make this more fun for you guys? or in some way improve the RP? Aside from giant robots which, of course, improve everything implicitly. I mean things like pacing, involvement, is there anything you like, anything you don't, that kind of stuff?
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Then sorry, I got nothing. But seriously, as soon as the idea popped into my head, I was already coming up with design ideas for what the teams Zords would be like. Kol’s would probably just a giant version of her self that copies her movements, since she has no idea how to use most technology. It’d probably turn into an arm, and transform similarly to the Red Robo Zord. I haven’t determined how the rest would transform, but I imagine Rika would have some sort of bomber jet, Ulrich would have some sort of tank, Jenny would have a giant version of her motorcycle, and Kolt would have something like TLK Megatrons jet mode. Morgan, Randy, and Solomon would each have their own Megazord that would combine with the teams Megazord in varying ways.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Well a full Megazord made of a bunch of other vehicles wouldn't be feasible in an RP. Having a giant robot where each player controls a limb would be impossible. That being said, I can imagine there being individual giant robots controlled by the characters. I don't have any plans, but it is very possible.

Anyway, I'm going to give Rook a little more time, but I will post by tomorrow no matter what. We need to get moving again.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

See, I always imagined that (for at least some of the ranger teams) that the Morphing Grid gave them some sort telepathic link that let them pull off the crazy amount of coordination necessary to control a giant robot like that. I thought we could either do something similar here (which would likely manifest as either us taking turns controlling the robot, or as our characters mentally debating what the robot should, and having the robot do whatever we’ve decided on your turn), or we just have one person controlling the robot, while the others go fight on the ground or something.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That would just be far too complicated. And if only one person is controlling the robot, there is no reason to not give everyone their own giant robots.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Third option that I just thought of: we do the Power Core Combiners thing, where each person has one transforming mech and four drones. The mech becomes a torso, and the drones become limbs. That lets us still have combining mechs, while making it much easier to determine who controls what. Though that would quintuple the amount of transformation sequences I have to come up with. But if ANY of them make it into this RP, it would be well worth the effort

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I thought we were waiting on Rook to post, but I’ll try to tone it down. I just get REALLY excited whenever the prospect of giant robots comes up.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I remembered that after and deleted the post.

As to robots, The fundamental problem of coordinating the posts for the RP, inherent to a shared character/shared craft remains regardless of how the combination mechanic works. a combination mechanic itself being present is the problem.

also, one of my characters wouldn't have the slightest clue how to operate a robot and is easily distracted by: screens, Buttons, Displays, Projections, etc. while another would go 'SWEET! NEW BODY! and never leave the slagging thing.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

What I was thinking in terms of robots is something more like Pacific Rim except without the second pilot. Giant robots would only really show up in the case of fighting giant monsters. Maybe Odium's fully realized form? IDK, I'm still thinking about that. If I put in giant robots for each player, I'd let you guys decide the abilities of your robots.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

That last sentence just sparked off another wave of creativity. I’m thinking the main ability of my robot would be being able to rapidly change shape in the middle of battle, in manner similar to some of the IDW Transformers gestalts (at least the ones created by the Enigma of Combination). Say a giant monster tries to punch my mech in the chest. I change it so that there’s a giant hole where it was going to punch, then change the hole so that it’s arm is stuck, and I can just wail on it while it’s disabled. Or if it tries to pin me down by my arms, SURPRISE! My mechs feet can now give sucker punches. Either that, or I have my mech do that Power Core Combiner thing I mentioned earlier, and it can rapidly disassemble and reassemble itself at will. Which one do you guys think sounds better?

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I think this whole topic is silly.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Of course it's silly. That's what's fun about it.

Rook PM'd me earlier and said I should just go ahead with the lore post. It will take a little time to put it together, but I'll try to have it up by noon central time.

Edit: I tried my best to describe a resort having never been to one myself. I realized it was a pretty futile gesture. This is what I tried to use as a reference:

-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

For those wondering about Kolts rather childish behavior, there is a reason for it, and I will reveal it eventually, once it’s relevant to the plot.