Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Legotron123

Re: Non HPU: Beacon Of Hope OOC

Post by Legotron123 »

A defibrillator is a weapon in the same way a frying pan is one. You can certainly use it like that, but that’s not the intended purpose.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Deske

Post by Deske »

It's a repurposed stun gun. Just like frying pans are blunt weapons repurposed for cooking.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

i thought it was a buckler/club hybrid...
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Yeah, Andy's got the spidedlike power of being able to run on walls and ceilings - especially on all fours. Coz, y'know Squirrels can climb practically anything anyway. He's not quite realised it yet. And, as he's not a major character and is unlikely to go on missions - being Six - I haven't done him a sheet. Unless you want me to, Cyber.
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Nah, no real need to unless you want to. Not for a relatively minor character.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Deske

Post by Deske »

Had to finagle some numbers so that the power stat would match.
Name: Lieutenant-Commander Colorado Vanderbilt

Sub-Rank : Senior Medical Technician

Color: 194719

Type : Main

Species: Dog/ Husky-Malamute Mix (Basically a slightly bigger than average husky)

Neighborhood: STEELHAVEN

Appearance: White is the main color of his body with a black line running up from his nose, splitting in two and winding their way down his side's. These thicken to cover almost his entire sides. He wears a collar with the caduceus as a tag along with identification numbers and general info in a chip inside of his collar. The collar itself is a bright orange nylon. He also has a nifty cybernetic eye that allows him to see heart rate, mental activity, thermal imaging and can have 3D models of people linked to it from a handheld device, also allows for basic night vision by allowing more light in and enhancing it. This is mainly for medical purposes as the thermal imaging cannot be used through most materials and both heart rate and mental activity monitors have to have a direct line of sight. This results in one of his eyes being a sort of pine green while the other is an icy blue. He carries a small collar mounted field kit in case of emergency.

Personality: Helpful, tries to lend a hand if he can. Though when he's working he can get incredibly serious. Maybe a little dark.

Backstory : Survived the trip through a collapsing warp gate to end up in the Beacon's universe.

Other notes:

- Not always the most orthodox.
- He loves jokes, very fun loving and tries to get along with anyone.
- He likes to explore. He is an adventurer.
- He was a combat medic at one point. Fun times ensued.
- His eye is removable.

Stats:
- S: 6
- P: 7
- E: 6
- C: 5
- I: 8
- A: 6
- L: 5
- P: 5

Power : Can create clones of himself. These clones are sentient and remain telepathically linked to Vanderbilt. The telepathy exists only to them and is capable of transferring thoughts, emotions and passively transferring locations. Doctor Vanderbilt can reabsorb the clones, gaining any knowledge they've picked up.

Weakness : The telepathic link works both ways. Damage done to either the clones or the original one can be felt by the rest of them.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Approved!
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

might not post tonight and probably gonna be a bit inactive this weekend. if all goes well tomorrow, i may have a new job soon.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Awesome! Good luck!
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I meant to post about this, but I forgot. Just in case anyone’s wondering, yes, Lieutenants James and Martin are indeed the wolf and jaguar who fixed the projector. Hopefully that’s enough for you guys to figure out what they’re a reference too.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

on top of the limited free time i have at the moment from being on the job hunt, i'm kinda stuck at the moment.

Getting myself angry enough to get inside kobor's head, while simultaneously remaining clearheaded enough to write intelligibly and remember to edit my normally... colorful, speech (if i wrote the way i actually talk the site would be swapping every third word for nonsense) is proving difficult. As is coming up with counter arguments based on what he knows rather than what I know, while in that mindset... which considering they're the "always lawful evil" designated antagonists of my own personal... um thing? whatever, plus, unlike squid face i actually know how they tick when both he and hivemind are both WAY off the mark in different directions.

In kobor's mind, hivemind is being a naive fool, and he's paying more attention to poking holes in what hive's saying than actually listening to him. he still hasn't fully gotten his head around being in a world where avatars and deities are a thing, because he's from an AU where they aren't and never will be. to him the mech was an overenginered super weapon with a psycher pilot and hivemind liking to be melodramatic makes more sense to him than 'gods or aspects or whatever they are', as he would put it, being a thing. odium having somewhat refuge in audacity because the scope of what he's wrecked is larger than what Kob's used to thinking of as 'all of known space combined' isn't helping. he can't comprehend the scale so he doesn't fully acknowledge it as real. meanwhile the other side of the coin is, well, a mess that actually has a disturbing number of parallels to the covenant war and/or the plot of your average XCOM game/clone now that i think about it... i'm getting off track.

Talya used the term Deprogramming for a reason. His mindset isn't something a simple conversation will change, and all the attempt is accomplishing just making him angry, but i'm having trouble conveying that.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hmm... I'll have to figure out a way to break this loop of a conversation so things can move on. These posts take a great deal of time, sometimes two hours straight to write. I probably won't be able to think of any way to get us out of that conversation until Friday when I have time.

Speaking of which, I had a rough day and I feel there isn't enough there for me to respond to at the moment, so I probably won't be putting up a post tonight. I'll try to get one down in the morning.

Edit: as an afterthought (and a long one at that), the reason Hivemind doesn't believe Kobor about the Ghrakkal being totally evil is that the "always chaotic evil" race doesn't exist in this universe. Part of the reason is that it defeats the whole point of the anti-hatred message if there is a group you can point to and say "these guys though, they are ok to hate because they are totally evil." Everyone thinks their hatred is justified. In order to get rid of hatred and prejudice as a whole, we need to practice getting rid of the hatred in ourselves even when it seems it's most justified, because that justification is hatred lying to you.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, technically it's less a case of always evil, and more a case of our concepts of good and evil not being anywhere on their moral spectrum, and theirs to us looking less like good vs evil and more like omnicidal evil vs suicidal evil, hence the murderous xenophobe labels.

they're a very faith heavy culture, and while there used to be more variation being pushed to the brink of extinction and then rebuilding under the watch of a paranoid inquisition has mostly stifled that, leading to an unhealthy mono-culture that has an 'echo chamber' effect. they believe that other species aren't living things, they're tests/punishments placed here by their gods. which of the two any one thing is varies from one person to another, and the ones who take a third option are considered stupid and in need of proper education, leading to them being taken in and re-conditioned and that is seen as normal and perfectly healthy behavior. the ones that aren't openly violent toards the outside world aren't sympathizers like hivemind believes, or 'unfortunate but necessary losses' (noncombatants) as kobor would put it, they're the ones who think the test is not one of strength but of cunning and that slaying this beast requires being stealthy, or the ones who think the Kaal are a punishment for defying the natural order as dictated by Ewh (IE; Inventing medicine, the Kaal emerged as a direct byproduct of discovering antibiotics remember?) and that by sacrificing themselves to apease Ewh they can spare others. trying to protect them would just confuse them and turn any of the latter into the former.

and bits of that keep slipping into the drafts of posts i try to write, which then have to be scrapped and started over because none of my characters actually know any of that. they just know "axe-crazy murderous xenophobic species that likes to wipe out everything that's not them and needs to be contained at any cost".

Honestly, i suspect most of the clash between the two is due to hivemind living in a world where a hard black and white morality actually works, where kobor is from a place where its more of a black and grey spectrum with the white end being for the most part missing. (okay, yes, the mostly-utopian core worlds DO exist, but they're built on the backs of the colony worlds, where life isn't so easy, the frontier worlds, that have basically been forgotten about and left to fend for themselves, and galactic power being maintained martially via a military alliance, technically making them more distopia than utopia despite being functional in ways a distopia wouldn't be) their world views are incompatible, and unlike talya he can't just go "software patch, done."

On the up side, between this and PM conversations asking about them, my notes about them have gone from a one paragraph footnote of half-thought-through ideas to a ten page document in the last three months. making them a lot less 'generic villan' and more 'scary dogmatic alien'... so, thanks for that. :D
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hivemind doesn't live in a world of black-and-white morality. That's kind of the point. Nobody is purely good, but nobody is purely bad either. Every villain has a motivation people can understand, and nearly every hero has moral grey areas. For example, as altruistic as Hivemind is, he is still technically a dictator with more power than even he is comfortable with. The Lycan is known for his "hunts" which consist of what can only be described as fear based torture. Tempest is prone to "blood knight" tendencies. Gear is a former assassin with the blood of a lot of people on his hands, and there is no way I can talk about the Legionnaire and keep inside the forum rules. None of this has come up or been discussed in the RP itself, but none of this would be hand-waved if it did. Notice, neither I nor my characters have referred to themselves as the "good guys."

Also I'm glad if I helped you develop your universe. :D
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

As much as I hate to interrupt this honestly fascinating lore dump, I finally finished my new character sheets for Liz and Lewis!

Character Name: Elizabeth “Liz” Walker

Codename: Changer

Color: FF0000

Type: Main

Species/Breed: Human

Neighborhood: Beacon Of Hope

Powers: She can absorb the DNA of anyone she touches, and use it to turn to them whenever she wants. When she absorbs someone’s DNA, they temporarily become numb and tired, with the duration depending on their size. Something the size of a human would be stunned for around fifteen seconds, while something the size of a mouse would be stunned for a minute. She does not get any powers they might have, unless those powers are capable of being passed down to their offspring (so Randy and Morgan, yes, Kolt, no).

Weakness: When she changes into something, her mind slowly becomes more like the thing she changed into, whether it’s a person or an animal. If she stays in a form for too long, the mental changes can become permanent, lasting even when she changes back. In addition, she has trouble copying more powerful abilities. They usually wind up weaker or harder to control in some way. For example, if she changed into Tempest, she wouldn’t have the same range or fine control over water the original has.

Appearance: White with brown hair and blue eyes, and a face that looks like a cross between Jen Scotts and Captain Janeway. Shares clothing tastes with her son, in that she tends to wear relatively bland clothing on the job, only wearing more interesting stuff on her off days. Her superhero suit is designed to resemble the suit she wore as part of the Republic, being primarily greyish silver in color with an orange vest-like pattern, with hammerspace pockets scattered about.

Personality: Liz is a rather serious individual, in a similar manner to her son. However, while her son acts serious in an effort to be professional, she does it as a means of shielding herself and preventing others from getting close. While she’s always had confidence in herself, she still feels a need to prove that she deserved that promotion to Captain all those years ago, and constantly strives to act like she thinks a Captain should. Now that she no longer has a ship to Captain, she should slowly start to open up, but it will take effort on the part of the other Champions before she feels comfortable letting her guard down.

Other notes:
* She once dated a tiger named Francis Celeus Mandiger for a little over a year, but dumped him after finding out he was really Fortis Comiter Malum, leader of the notorious pirate group Barbarox. He’s still in love with her, and constantly tries extravagant ways to win her back. He’s unlikely to handle her disappearance well.
* Has a tendency to stuff herself with comfort food whenever she feels troubled, though her constant exercise and training means she always stays in shape.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 5
- Perception: 5
- Endurance: 5
- Charisma: 6
- Intelligence: 6
- Agility: 7
- Luck: 8
- Power: 6

Character Name: Lewis Walker

Codename: Linemaster

Color: 0000FF

Type: Main

Species/Breed: Shepadoodle

Neighborhood: Beacon Of Hope

Powers: Lewis has the ability to designate “lines” between two objects he can see, which he can use to force those objects towards or away from each other. He can adjust how much force is used in this, but the force is alway applied equally on both objects.

Weakness: He can only have three lines active at a time, which leaves him vulnerable if he’s significantly outnumbered and without a way to escape. In addition, his powers rely on line of sight, so he’s practically defenseless if his vision is disabled.

Appearance: Mostly Black fur, with silver markings scattered around his body, most predominantly on his paws. He usually shaves his fur in order to better fit in clothing, as it’s long curly nature would otherwise make them uncomfortable. Shares clothing tastes with his mom, in that he tends to wear relatively bland clothing while on the job, only wearing more unique stuff on his days off. His superhero suit is designed to resemble the suit he wore as part of the Republic, being mostly greyish silver with a blue vest-like pattern, with hammerspace pockets scattered about. He’s kept the nanotech gauntlets his old suit had, which gives him finger tasers, as well as a holographic display connected to Hivemind’s network, and has gotten a visor that gives him all sorts of tactical data and lets him see in the dark.

Personality: Relatively curt and professional, Lewis is a very serious person, mainly due to his sorta military raising. While he’s much more laidback when off duty, even becoming somewhat excitable, he never quite loses that serious nature of his. The (by his standards) erratic and nonsensical nature of the Beacon universe has left him confused and irritable, though he’s slowly getting used to it.

Other notes:
* While most of the differences in this universe irritate him, he is rather interested in the way pop culture has changed, and how different his favorite franchises are.
* Really gets annoyed by public displays of affection.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 6
- Perception: 6
- Endurance: 7
- Charisma: 5
- Intelligence: 8
- Agility: 6
- Luck: 7
- Power: 4

So? What do you guys think?
Last edited by Legotron123 on Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:38 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The only problem I have is with Liz being able to copy powers. She is a level 5 super, but if she copied Morgan's power, that's a world-weight power. Any power she copies must be no higher than her specified power class.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

maybe she can only copy powers equal to or less than her own? maybe they scale down? there areplenty of workarounds lego could use.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

There are, but one of them needs to be included in the sheet.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

What if she technically has access to them, but she has no idea how to control them, and something like Tempest’s can actually accelerate the mental changes? Say, instead of taking a few hours to become permanent, they take a few minutes?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That won't work. The weakness doesn't lower the power level. It is simply there for balance reasons to give villains a way past the power. If Liz takes a power for any length of time, she still has that power, weakness or not, whether she knows how to use it or not. Thus any power she takes must be 5 or lower, or be nerfed to 5.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Okay. I’ll change it once I have access to a touchscreen bigger than the palm of my hand.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Ok. Thank you!
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Changed it. Is that better?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Much. Thank you. They are approved.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Is it wrong that when I hear “cross between an anthropomorphic bird and a dragon,” my mind immediately goes to this guy?
He’s the one on the right.
Last edited by Legotron123 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'm now imagining the tester panicking. "I TRY NOT TO THINK ABOUT IT, THANKS! AAARGH!!"
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I was rereading that lore post about the Krell or whatever they’re called (can’t find the name) that Buster did, when I had a thought. If Kolt were to meet one of the ones who think that all other living beings are just tests/punishments from the gods, he’d view that as a challenge. Like, if Hivemind had one of them in the brig, Kolt would be that guy who goes to visit them to have a polite conversation from behind a glass screen every couple days. It wouldn’t matter if they yelled at him, threatened him, or didn’t even acknowledge him, he’d still go there every few days to make polite conversation about everything from his day, to religion, to whatever show he’s been getting into recently.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Ghrakkal.
I don't think i have anything named Krell. too close to Krull for my liking, and i'd rather not be reminded often of that wierd movie.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I thought that was the slur name?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That would be the Ghrak.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Ah okay. My bad.

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Mentioned this to Deske earlier.

A little known Superhero Doctor with the greatest Medical super power I know of in comics. From the British Government Superhuman response team MI-13, Doctor Faiza Hussain, she who is worthy to wield Excalibur.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Deske

Post by Deske »

That'd be amazing. Maybe a little more powerful than I'm willing to wield.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hey, Buster? Lego? Next chance you get, can we move things back to the training room for Kol and Kolt? There are three rounds we need to get to, and this first round probably has a third of it left.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I was waiting for Kol to respond to Quint. Did Buster post something and I just missed it?

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Not yet, no. I don't want to pressure anyone, I'm just excited for round 2 and especially round 3.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

sorry, i'll catch up soon. just have a lot to deal with on my end right now.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

It's ok. I hope things go well for you!
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, I've already botched two interviews, so can't get any worse... I hope...

EDIT: and of course i spend a stupid amount of time typing the thing and this blasted machine reboots right when i finish and am going back through it to start doing the color-coding. i'm not dealing with this tonight...
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Ouch... That's rough, Buster.

I'm not going to be posting tonight myself because 1) I try to let at least three people post before I post a reply and 2) I want others to be able to catch up a bit and 3) I'm pretty tired right now.
-Champion Motto