OOC: Radients Vineyard.

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Legotron123

Re: OOC: Radients Vineyard.

Post by Legotron123 »

That water control seems rather overpowered. Even if she lacks more precise control and can't do things like Bloodbending or straight up ripping it out of people's bodies, 100 meters is a pretty big range.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Yeah that's where
Buster wrote:as long as the powers are in-scale with the others.
comes in. looks like Noah Hackle and Rig aren't going to be the only ones who got heavily nerfed during design.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Well, she mostly uses the aquakinesis to form a replacement arm from ice (she lost her right arm at the elbow when she was younger) that she can change the shape of to suit her needs. I can nerf the range of the aquakinesis considerably. How does 50 feet sound? As for it's precision, she can form a fully functional half-arm out of ice and, when she lost her arm, she was able to use her power to keep herself from bleeding out long enough to get help.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
Deske

Post by Deske »

Ugh, today has been so slow that I don't know if I can even dredge up the anger I need to write Noah's next piece; not to mention that I actually agree with 04 for the time being. Blurgh, here we go... Gods give me salt I can use...

EDIT: How is being angry so difficult? Like, it should be so easy to just rant. But I have nothing to rant about personally so I have no rant-like anger stored away for future use.

EDIT 2: Okay I think I'm done! Woo! Now I can move on to Rig being dumb. Basically what I'm the best at.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

...Wait, you agree with the walking ball of guilt, trust issues, and paranoia? that i was not expecting.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Deske

Post by Deske »

I agree with one of her points. Withholding information to prevent self-harm. Only because there wasn't a better option. I doubt 04 has the social skills necessary to help Sandy work through those memories. Unless she knows of a way to have them remain unhidden whilst not creating a risk for self-harm and she's just using them to justify her continued existence. In that case I wouldn't agree with her, I'd probably agree with Noah.

EDIT because I forgot it:
Buster wrote:looks like Noah Hackle and Rig aren't going to be the only ones who got heavily nerfed during design.
Random bit of information. Rig was originally supposed to have a power set that worked much like Geralt's did. A few signs that he could use on the fly each having different effects. I just expanded it by giving him a Nordic background, with a set of runes added to it.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So I still don't know if the character I have is acceptable and I don't want to make the sheet until I know she's acceptable. If I can't directly import the character as is, I need to know so I can make the necessary changes.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Well, what is it about her that you think is unacceptable?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Deske

Post by Deske »

Why don't you just make a full sheet and we'll see how it pans out from there? Noah and Rig had full sheets when they were being nerfed. Just make a sheet. Can't nerf or buff something that doesn't exist.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Legotron123 wrote:Well, what is it about her that you think is unacceptable?
Well, like I said, she's a Lycanthrope in her own universe, and I don't know if that's a thing in the RV universe. (Then again, everything is a thing :) )
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Put the sheet up. The GM will then fairly critique and advise.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CyberDragon wrote:
Legotron123 wrote:Well, what is it about her that you think is unacceptable?
Well, like I said, she's a Lycanthrope in her own universe, and I don't know if that's a thing in the RV universe. (Then again, everything is a thing :) )
well, all HPU settings use how the comic works as a baseline and expand from there. Magic and unusual abilities might not be common place or well known in the comic, but they do exist. one of the best examples is a major character, and while nolonger 'god-tier' Tarot is still a gifted user even after cutting ties with her former boss/powersource. RGV takes that one step further, and assumes that there are more out there than we've seen but they're not well know due to active effort on the part of the Magical and Supernatural themselves, but in all other regards conforms to how Housepets! works. (or at least that's how it's always looked to me)

Does that help?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sort of? Werewolves/Lycans have not been seen in the HPU (but have been mentioned once), but there is the line about how "everything is a thing," as well as inter-universal travel. So I might be able to use that and literally import her from her own universe, but that would be up to the GM.

Edit: Here is the character sheet for Eira Steele. This is her raw character as she appears in her own universe.
Character Name: Eira “Arctos” Steele

Color: This

Type: main

Species/Breed: Lycan

Neighbourhood: Radients Vineyard

Home: for now, a decent apartment in the city

Power(s): As a Lycan, she is able to switch between two forms: One that looks like a wolf, and one that looks human. She is not either. She has the strength of an athletic human in her left arm, but her right, mechanical prosthetic arm isn't quite as strong. She is a fairly fierce fighter, with knowledge of a variety of martial arts. In addition, she is an aquakinetic capable of impressive displays of power. However, she pushed these powers past their limits in an attempt to live up to her cosmic-tier "mother." In doing so, something went wrong inside of her. She began to loose control, even when emotionally calm. Eventually, she could not use her powers without posing a risk to everyone nearby. Eventually, after a massive incident where she lost control, the leader of her superhero group made her get a power limiter implant that suppresses her aquakinesis entirely. She might be able to power past this limiter if totally consumed with rage or fear, or if she is for some reason in an adrenaline rush. However, she still has no control over what happens, and thus this only causes absolute chaos.

Appearance: Being a Lycan, she has two appearances. The first one is her wolf form. In this form, which is her default, she looks similar to an arctic wolf in the HPU universe. she has the build of someone with a clearly active lifestyle. When she was born, her aquakinetic powers reacted oddly with her and gave her hollow ice-colored fur instead of the solid black fur of her father. She lost her right arm at the elbow as a child. She uses her control over water to form an arm out of ice when not in disguise, but due to her power limiter she cannot form the arm anymore.
When disguised as a human, she has somewhat pale skin and hair the same color as her fur. She sometimes dyes it to fit in better. She has sapphire colored eyes. As a human, she stands fairly tall, just a little over 6 feet.
in both forms, she normally wears casual clothing, such as jeans and T-shirts, that are made of a specifically designed smart-fabric that adjusts itself dynamically to fit the different forms shape-shifters (and just the large variety of clothes wearing species in her universe) can have. She also normally carries a large bottle of water clipped to her belt so that she has some water to manipulate (or, you know, just to drink) when she needs to. Though she cannot use the water at the moment due to the power limiter, she still wears it on her belt out of habit.

Personality: Eira is an athlete. She loves being active, and she loves sports, especially martial arts. She is somewhat rash and aggressive. She finds it difficult to trust others, but her heart is in the right place. While she is mostly physical, she’s no idiot. She is fairly well read and decent at planning. Finally, she utterly hates bullies. If she sees someone picking on a weaker person, she will step in.

Other notes: Back in her own universe, Eira is a superhero. She is the child of two other superheroes; her father, the Lycan, and her mother, the aquakinetic Tempest. She was created by scientists by taking her father’s DNA and inserting compatible portions of Tempest’s DNA. They raised her with a strong sense of justice and compassion for the weak. As a child, she accidently revealed her lycanthropic nature when she fell asleep in class and shifted to her default wolf-like form. The school bully (who might have had a case of super-strength) saw her and beat her over it. He took her arm when she fought back.
She spends a lot of time and effort training in hopes to live up to her parents' legacies, both of whom have gone toe-to-toe with deities. However, she pushed herself too far, and something snapped. The first thing she noticed was how her ice arm, whenever she formed it, would look overly large and gnarled. Eventually, she couldn't form it at all. She tried to hide this deterioration, but others started to notice. Eventually this lack of control got flat out dangerous to herself and others. The higher-ups as well as her parents agreed that she needed to stay away from hero work while they figure out how to get her control back, so they implanted her with the power limiter and sent her off to a quieter place that doesn't have constant super villain and monster attacks. And so, she arrives in the small city of Radients Vineyard.

Inter-universal travel is common for superheroes in her universe. She was sent away this time in hopes that she might be able to slow down while her "uncle" Solomon (a super called "Hivemind") figures out how to set her powers back to normal.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:
- Strength: 7
- Perception: 6
- Endurance: 8
- Charisma: 4
- Intelligence: 5
- Agility: 7
- Luck: 5
Again, this is the raw character sheet. If it isn't acceptable, I can change it. I was wondering if I could literally import the character from her own universe, as inter-universe travel has been confirmed in the HPU, and it seems like the kind of thing that might happen in a place that has a lot of magic.
Last edited by CyberDragon on Fri May 26, 2017 8:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Forget what I said about being in scale with the others, that's not even close.

Aquakinesis precise enough for blood control, with no range drop-off at all?

You do realize no other pet has abilities that have been able to reach out of the house they're in besides Sandy who has a pretty rapid range fall-off with 'write', 'read', and, 'send/recieve', cutting out in that order long before 'locate' does.

still, i's hotep's call not mine, but expect to get nerfed.

-------------------------------

EDIT: :lol: Deske, you weren't paying attention at all to the dialogue between Four and Socks were you? :lol: She's a hallucination only he can see, that glitches any time something happens to Sandy, and has specifically commented she can't be separated from Sandy. :lol: What gave you the idea there was anything there to attack?
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Thanks for the input. I haven't been doing the best in keeping up with this RP, so I don't quite know what's standard. I've nerfed her powers, and I plan on reading through the last few pages of the RP sometime tomorrow.
Last edited by CyberDragon on Mon May 22, 2017 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Champion Motto

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

Hi guys , just gonna let you know that i found a post in the IC thread
Buster wrote:((That post is impossible. She's currently a hallucination being projected into Socks mind from Sandy, She has no form to attack. physical, ethereal, or otherwise. At best he'd be flailing uselessly at an image only socks can see.))
I figured it's more suitable here , so I moved it, but then I saw Buster's edit here already so.......yeah , just in case you guys wondered where that post went.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CD, if it helps, the current day starts on page 54, and we're in the early afternoon at this point (i think)
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Basically everyone has powers, Cyber, but they're all massively limited by something.

For instance, Sandy Dog can basically make flames as big and powerful if he wants but if they're too big he can only push them around and not extinguish them and even that is a struggle. He's also affected by the wind since wind pushes fire around. And he has to maintain his concentration if he wants his fire to do much.

Kaylee controls winds but her control is limited and she also has to be calm and concentrating to make them do anything specific.

Holly is a ghost. She can teleport, levitate, turn invisible and turn incorporeal. She can only do so much before she has to stop and recharge though. And she can't extend her abilities to affect anyone or anything else.

Bonnie can cast spells but she has to use energy from them and gets a headache if she casts too many spells or spells that are too powerful so that limits her. Also she can only cast what her book lets her read and that book has a mind of its own.

Socks can sense people's feelings and knows their deepest fears and greatest regrets and sorrows. He can't block anything out though and he can't manipulate or control their emotions at all except for by verbally trying to make them feel something else which he's not very good at.

Noah can do loads of things but only has a certain amount of aura to work with and when that's gone his power is gone until he recharges.

Can you see the pattern? Everyone has powers but they all have various limitations that prevent them from being OP-ed and throwing off the RP.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Jake has the ability to 'hop' thirty feet and has super strength. Whilst those are unregulated his resistance to damage is dependant on his confidence. If he's confident - or angry -and punches a wall he'll go through it. If he's not confident and does it he'll still go through it but he'll break every bone in his arm & hand. So he tries not to punch walls.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Hlaoroo wrote:Bonnie can cast spells but she has to use energy from them and gets a headache if she casts too many spells or spells that are too powerful so that limits her. Also she can only cast what her book lets her read and that book has a mind of its own.
She also has a limit of 16 charges before she runs dry and has to stop and recharge.
it takes 15 min of meditation to generate one charge (unless she has help), and unlike noah, who runs on Aura, she describes her power as coming from 'the natural order of the cosmos' (she's actually gathering Zero-point energy, that is later released when she casts).
Last edited by Buster on Mon May 22, 2017 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Amanda has great control over ice and frost and can also cast magic spells but it drains her energy and tires her if used too much and then needs time to recharge, and her cryokinesis is also heavily tied to her emotional state, so she loses control if overly emotional and the frosty effect is dependent on what type of emotion she's lost control of as well.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yensid has electric powers but if you throw water on him while he's trying to use them, he'll get the full shock of it instead. Also, if he tries to use too high a voltage, he'll just end up paralyzing his arms and hands for a while. When he takes himself apart, there's a limit of how far away his parts can go away from his body and how long they can stay detached has a limit as well. If they get too far or stay away too long, they become dormant until Yensid reattaches them.

Retlaw can summon paint, but too much at one time gives him a headache. Also, anything that cause paint to run or flake up, is his absolute enemy ex: fire and thinner. If you snap his wand in half, his powers are reduced to half their normal power until he can get a spare. This mean he gets a headache quicker and gets physically hurt if his paint gets damaged.

Both of their enchanted sketchbooks that they use to summon things can easily be ruined like any other other drawing pad and their summons can be erased with something as simple as a number 2 pencil eraser.
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

That's... a lot of examples... :shock:

Ok, so how's this: Eira has the ability to manipulate water, ice, or steam in the 50-100 foot radius, but can only manipulate a relatively small amount at that range (about 1-2 liters). She can manipulate more of it and more precisely as it gets closer, but there is still only so much water she can focus on. If she tries to manipulate too much water at once, it will exhaust her physically and mentally. She can control blood enough to keep it in her body, but when she does so she cannot control anything else, and she can only do so when her body is pumping with adrenaline. The amount of water she manipulates includes her ice arm, and so in order to manipulate water at long range or manipulate her blood when injured, she needs to give up her arm.
-Champion Motto

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Ah, it's just us telling of all our guys. Seriously we had to 'calm down' Yensid and Retlaw's powers as we didn't understand them. Remember that, Mickey?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

COUGH
My characters!
I got too many colors to remember. I'll put them here to see. Aren't they nice? Yep! Absolutely!
ImageImageImageImage (There's actually 6 eggs, but I ran out of links)
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I've made a couple of changes to the character sheet. I put in a couple more things about her appearance as well. Also gave her a text color. :)
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

Buster wrote: EDIT: :lol: Deske, you weren't paying attention at all to the dialogue between Four and Socks were you? :lol: She's a hallucination only he can see, that glitches any time something happens to Sandy, and has specifically commented she can't be separated from Sandy. :lol: What gave you the idea there was anything there to attack?
The physical one standing in front of him gave me the idea there was something to attack. Unless she's not there either, which wasn't stated, nor would it make her reaction to Holly have any sense behind it. Didn't realize I needed to be 100 feet away to move quickly. Not sure if it's been made clear or not, but Noah doesn't like her and doesn't really care. But hey, thanks.
Last edited by Deske on Mon May 22, 2017 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Well, either he just attacked Sandy with absolutely no provocation as far as anyone else can tell, since Sandy herself never actually stopped chatting with Holly and Amanda to even acknowledge he was talking, and the projection of Four showing amusement could just as easily be chalked up to messing with Socks (the whole reason she did the hallucinatory cheese thing, btw.) given the complete absence of malice or negative emotions said empath would feel from her, save the annoyance with him that was already there, or he's flailing at empty air and making a fool of himself.

Either way the post, as written is still inaccurate, as it doesn't differentiate between the two making him seemingly attacking the projection.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Holly's talking to the real, solid, Sandy. I admit I wasn't totally sure but the other did step aside at one point because Kaylee was standing in her. So I knew she was invisible and incorporeal but not how that would affect Noah's abilities.

But please, both of you, calm this down a bit. There is, oddly, no need to fight.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Noah doesn't know about the projection and Sandy hasn't been mentioned as moving since Noah started talking to 04, and while it doesn't explicitly say he's talking to 04, his speech does make it somewhat clear that's who he's talking too. There's no way to say this to Buster that doesn't sound accusatory, so I'm just going to spit it out. It seems like you want 04 to win, and you keep moving the goalposts whenever someone gains the upper hand. I'm sorry if that's rude, that's just the impression I've gotten.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I would have put it as less a case of moving the goal post, and more trying to drive home the point that the goal posts at either end never existed in the first place. There's nothing TO "win" for either side, it's supposed to be a permanent stalemate.

Both side's goals are impossible to accomplish, and I've been trying to make it clear the attempt is futile.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

While Noah's goal of separating 04 and Sandy is definitely impossible, he'll probably settle for 04 just leaving Sandy alone. Something 04 has no intention of doing, and all of Noah's attempts at getting her to back off have been met with a clear lack of respect for both everyone around her and the desires of others, plus so much smug that Noah ultimately couldn't handle it. Honestly the only thing stopping him from trying to dive into their shared mind and forcibly delete 04 is 04's clear superiority in regards to mental powers, and a fear that he could damage Sandy's mind in the process.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

:| which is the point...

She's an antagonist, they're not supposed to be easy to get along with. That doesn't mean doing anything about it has to be achievable though. Again, its supposed to be a perpetual stalemate.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

A few things.
1. I think you seem to be confusing what we know with what our characters know. While we know that Sandy and 04 can't be separated, Noah doesn't. He just thinks that 04 is refusing to acknowledge Sandy's sapience. All he knows about 04 is that she's a threat to him and his friends, that she's essentially holding one of said friends hostage, and that (outside of potentially Amanda's family) she has little to no incentive to not sneak into their houses in the middle of the night and brainwash them into thinking whatever she wants them to think. That terrifies and frustrates him to a significant degree, since his loved ones are in danger and there's nothing he can do about it. And until they're not in danger, he will do everything in his power to eliminate the threat that 04 poses. It's just who he is. While we know 04 isn't likely to do any of that stuff (more out of not wanting to put in the effort that out of any sense of empathy), everything that Noah's seen suggests that she will.
2. I think you made a mistake saying 04 is an antagonist, since, by definition, an antagonist is an opposing force for the main characters to overcome. That means your stalemate only lasts until Noah and the others find away around it, which, by labeling her an antagonist, you've just confirmed the existence of. It's basic narrative law.
3. This one's just a minor nitpick, but I think we started making a big deal of this around 20 posts ago, where your use of :lol: emojis gave the impression that you were being smug and mocking Deske.

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

So is my character acceptable now that I've modified her?
-Champion Motto

Deske

Post by Deske »

You might remember my questions from Steelhaven. I have more here. I like the character but some more information would be fun.

How does she "look more humanlike" as a wolf?
How is she neither? My knowledge of lycanthropy is that it's transferred from some form of contact.

I've got more but I'm a little busy atm
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Narrative archetypes are guidelines, not rules. They're easily bent, broken, or tied into convoluted knots. :P
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

No problem Deske. If you look at the TV-tropes page for the sliding scale of anthropomorphism, most of the HPU animals fall under "Funny animal." However, Eira falls just above that in the "Borderline Petting Zoo People" category. Thus as a wolf she is more heavily anthropomorphized than an HPU wolf.

Lycanthropy in her universe works differently. They are separate from the standard WW archetype in that they are actually a species of their own closer to bears and canines, which is why they have more canine traits in human form. Early on in their existence, they hunted humans and so adapted to hide among them. Humans got good at spotting them though, and the ones who were aggressive toward humans died out. The rest of them retreated into the forests and formed communities, maintaining their shape-shifting abilities in order to keep themselves hidden better.
-Champion Motto

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Buster wrote:Narrative archetypes are guidelines, not rules. They're easily bent, broken, or tied into convoluted knots. :P
....You're not going to object to anything else in my post? No objecting to what Noah thinks or to how I said your use of :lol: made you seem rude? You're only going to say anything on the technicalities of narrative archetypes?

Deske

Post by Deske »

CyberDragon wrote:No problem Deske. If you look at the TV-tropes page for the sliding scale of anthropomorphism, most of the HPU animals fall under "Funny animal." However, Eira falls just above that in the "Borderline Petting Zoo People" category. Thus as a wolf she is more heavily anthropomorphized than an HPU wolf.

Lycanthropy in her universe works differently. They are separate from the standard WW archetype in that they are actually a species of their own closer to bears and canines, which is why they have more canine traits in human form. Early on in their existence, they hunted humans and so adapted to hide among them. Humans got good at spotting them though, and the ones who were aggressive toward humans died out. The rest of them retreated into the forests and formed communities, maintaining their shape-shifting abilities in order to keep themselves hidden better.
That's pretty neat. Also, I'm back!

How do you heavily anthropomorphize something more than the HPU? They're already pretty anthro as it stands.
How does she react to actual wolves? How do/should they react to her?
I think it's kind of adorable how she's so modest in her wolf form, opting to keep clothes on.