Roleplaying Forums Main Out-Of-Character Thread

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

deepskycyan

Re: Roleplaying Forums Main Out-Of-Character Thread

Post by deepskycyan »

Well I inquired about roleplaying a while ago but ended up not participating. Yet I find myself inexplicably drawn to this SRP and it's funny because I've never watched star trek, or even know what FTL is. Maybe it's because I find it exciting to witness the conception of a new RP and I am personally quite fond of space.

So my question is, is it required that players have sufficient knowledge of the Star Trek and FTL universes in able to fully participate in Steelhaven?
If the answer is yes, then that's perfectly okay. After all, to have fun is the main purpose of an RP, and I wouldn't like it either if someone were to ruin the experience for others.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Half the players in Redwall have never even heard of the books. I'm sure you'll do fine in SteelHaven even if you're not familiar with Star Trek. That's something for Lego to confirm though.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
MrNeonShot wrote:
MrNeonShot wrote: Edited: Doctor Rain is a Cheif Petty Officer. Supposed to be a role model, Cheif petty officer Rain is in his own little world until it comes to exosuits.

Blitz is a Secondary Petty Officer. I thought it was an appropriate rank for him.
Both still work for Golem Incorporated, but they have the benefits of being soldiers.
Point of order here. If Rain is a Doctor he WON'T be a Chief Petty Officer. Doctors are Command Officers and get the Medical equivalent of the Command ranks. The Chief Petty Officer is an elisted ma. Even an Ensign is classed as being above them. For TV examples, O'Brien in Startrek TNG and Star Trek DS9 is an enlisted man and, even though he's responsible for maintaining the entire station on DS9, Nog ends up outranking him after going to Starfleet Acadamy.

A second example is M.A.S.H. if you've seen it. Both 'Hawkeye' Pierce and 'B.J.' Hunnicut hold the rank of 'Captain' after they're drafted in to serve.

Scietists will also hold Officer rank although it won't usually be above Lieutenant-Commader.

As for Corp's height? I could consider 4ft. (48inches)
Doctor Rain has no experience as a medical doctor. He holds the title because of his work in exosuit designing, building, and control programming. Anything else doesn't interest him.

What Lego wants in this rp (from my understanding) is to keep animals at their normal (hp) height. But maybe a mouse turned biological experiment (like a bowman's wolf mouse. A rocket raccoon mouse equivalent would be too painful.) at the height of the average dog would work!
deepskycyan wrote:...So my question is, is it required that players have sufficient knowledge of the Star Trek and FTL universes in able to fully participate in Steelhaven?
Only star trek ranks. Just keep re-submitting your character sheet until you hit the right rank.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Fair but, as I say, it goes for sciences as well. It keeps a 'chain of command' structure in place even if treated as a Brevet rank or temporary commission. A Doctor without rank, for example, would have trouble ordering around assistants who are in the command line. They'd always need to have a trailing officer to work with. Taking a brevet Lieutenant rank would eliminate that. The chain of command protects the ensigns and enlisted as much as the captain.

The experiment idea (the 'Bowman's Mouse') might work - or there's a planet of them out there...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

You don't need to know anything about Star Trek or FTL to play STEELHAVEN. I just used those to give people a rough example of what it would be like.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Legotron123 wrote:You don't need to know anything about Star Trek or FTL to play STEELHAVEN. I just used those to give people a rough example of what it would be like.
Works for me but I'm biased *cough*Loper*cough*
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Hey guys. My internet was cut at my house so I won't be on that much. I'll try to post as much as I can, but it won't be that often.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

awww , well , hope your internet will be restore soon
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

Oh and hey, next week from the 2nd of september to about the 7th I will be offline due to a surgery. Posting on the computer will be a bit challenging while I heal. My phone might be able to make posts but I don't know yet.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

Legotron123 wrote:You don't need to know anything about Star Trek or FTL to play STEELHAVEN. I just used those to give people a rough example of what it would be like.
Fab. Count me in!

brb gonna go write up me first ever character sheet. Will post soon!
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

deepskycyan wrote:
Fab. Count me in!

brb gonna go write up me first ever character sheet. Will post soon!
Welcome to steelhaven.
RP Characters:
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Okay... Let me try and rephrase this. Doctor Rain and Blitz are temporary soldiers on the refueling shuttle. Doctor Rain is in charge of Blitz as the head of exosuit testing. Besides Blitz, there is another animal exosuit tester and 2 human testers.

Lego... What is the appropriate rank for Dr. Rain and his soldiers?
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Doctor rain would be chief petty officer and his crew would be crewsman. Though looking back, I probably should have used the star trek ranking from the late 23rd instead, but I think it's too late to change that. Also, you guys know the OOC for STEELHAVEN is up now right?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Deske

Post by Deske »

I did. I was wondering why it was so quiet though.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Legotron123 wrote:Doctor rain would be chief petty officer and his crew would be crewsman. Though looking back, I probably should have used the star trek ranking from the late 23rd instead, but I think it's too late to change that. Also, you guys know the OOC for STEELHAVEN is up now right?
Thanks, man!
Welshman

Post by Welshman »

However temporarily this is the Halfwit. Email troubles have hit my host so I set up a secondary. I'll get back to my primary asap. I hope.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

oh wow that's bad , hope it's just temporary , good luck welsh
Welshman

Post by Welshman »

Ta, Serence. I partly locked myself out. I realised I wasn't getting mail to my primary e-mail address so I changed my log in here to a back up address that forwards mail to my primary. Which it did. So I was able to activate the change. And then, thinking it was fixed, I changed it back. No confirmation e-mail arrived. And now the entire mail server has gone down.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Dang... hope it gets fixed, Welsh!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Best of luck, Drake! I hope everything goes well and you heal quickly and painlessly!

Darn, Hyper. I hope that gets fixed for you soon!

Oops, Welshie. I had problems with my email today too. Fortunately I got it fixed. I'll talk to Diss and see if I can get him to reactivate your account for you. :) He might be in bed now but hopefully you'll be back within the next 12-24 hours at most. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Hlaoroo wrote:Best of luck, Drake! I hope everything goes well and you heal quickly and painlessly!

Darn, Hyper. I hope that gets fixed for you soon!

Oops, Welshie. I had problems with my email today too. Fortunately I got it fixed. I'll talk to Diss and see if I can get him to reactivate your account for you. :) He might be in bed now but hopefully you'll be back within the next 12-24 hours at most. ;)
It's now sorted. There was a problem sending and receiving from my ntlworld account (powered by gmail). Very few e-mails were getting through. Which is where things got silly.

When I didn't receive update e-mails from here (or anywhere) I came in and saw there were updates. So I thought it was a problem with ntlworld receiving all e-mails as happened a couple of years back. So I changed my log-in to my yahoo.co.uk account which forwards mails to ntlworld. Which it did. Successfully. I activated the account again and then thought... my ntlworld account is working because it received that forwarding. So I changed the account back. And got locked out as the activation e-mail never arrived.

Sorted now though.

(the really silly was gmail falling over. I made a purchase on the play store. Gmail automatically sends a mail to the main account - which it has as my gmail account. Some time after this mail failed to arrive I got a terminal failure message. Gmail was telling me that Gmail had failed to contact Gmail and the failure message alone got through!)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

So here's my character for STEELHAVEN. I'll have it reposted in the RP OOC thread once this gets approved :)
Constructing a character for an RP is also a great way to force myself to practice drawing, I've found. (Yes, I know it's not compulsory, but still)

Name: Ashleigh Serge

Color: #8000BF

Type: Main

Species, Breed: Cat, English Longhair

Neighborhood: STEELHAVEN

Appearance: Average height, slender/athletic build. Snowy white with patches of yellow fur on ears, face, chest and tail. Hair/fur cut short, despite being a longhaired cat. Has a large wardrobe but is often seen in command uniform; a navy overcoat she wears over a thin layer of plate armor. Standard dark trousers and boots.
Ashleigh Serge.png
Personality: Hard-headed, determined, ambitious. Somewhat stubborn but will conform to reason. Cautious around others, perhaps overly so. Paranoid and anxious, she is often hard to approach and it will take some time before she learns to trust someone other than herself. Prefers to be alone but does not mind the company of the people she is familiar with. Pensive and mindful, she usually keeps a calm demeanor and is rarely seen annoyed or angered. Also rather blunt and to-the-point, and likes to get the job done quick, but will often go out of the way for personal benefit. Though honorable, she will sometimes turn to deceit if she see no better option; although, she would never betray those who are close to her.

Backstory: Both Ashleigh's mother and father were experienced soldiers and expert pilots. Ash looked up to her parents and it was her dream to become just like them. Unfortunately, during the third war, her mother was killed in action and after the fighting was done, her father fell into deep depression and expressed his grief by becoming a combat medic, hoping to give others what he could not give to his beloved. Ash took this as a sign of weakness and enlisted for the military with duty and revenge in mind. Some few months later, she takes her father's place as the strength of the family, and looks forward to her possible promotion, and to the discovery of the identity her mother's murderer.

Other notes:
- Through her long months of intense training and hardship, Ash discovered that she has a natural talent for fighting. She graduated battle academy at the top of the class.
- Proficient in the martial arts and unquestionable skill as a marksman.
- Her preferred weapon is a longsword. She has yet to be defeated in a swordfight.
- Has basic knowledge of piloting aircraft.
- Will not touch alcohol
- Feels indignant towards those she perceives as weak-willed.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L.
S. 5
P. 7
E. 5
C1. 4
I. 5
A. 7
L. 7
R. 4
C2. 10
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Welcome aboard the STEELHAVEN. You can now repost your character in the OOC.

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

quick note, I'm getting into the swing of this semester's schedule so I may take a little while to respond to posts, but please poke me if I take a couple days. That means I've forgotten.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

I don't like to be asking this but I suppose it was inevitable. What happens when a forum thread falls off the front page?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Which thread are you referring to? If it's a RP or OOC thread that had died it might have been moved to the inactive threads forum. It could also have been moved there by mistake. Or it if was a duplicate thread or forum inappropriate thread then we may have deleted it and notified the poster. If it's one you want to reboot or you still need then feel free to PM one of us mods and we'll hopefully be able to find it for you again, or at least let you know what happened to it.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Hlaoroo wrote:Which thread are you referring to? If it's a RP or OOC thread that had died it might have been moved to the inactive threads forum. It could also have been moved there by mistake. Or it if was a duplicate thread or forum inappropriate thread then we may have deleted it and notified the poster. If it's one you want to reboot or you still need then feel free to PM one of us mods and we'll hopefully be able to find it for you again, or at least let you know what happened to it.
Snow Tunnels. It's not off yet but it could be soon. So I was wondering.

EDIT: And if it does fall off, I don't feel inclined to keep it going.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I see.
Well, I don't think they automatically fall off anyway. Snow Tunnels is only at the bottom at the moment because the others have all been commented on more recently. We won't move an RP to the inactive threads forum unless a) it's clearly dead and has been dead for some time, b) the GM instructs us to or c) it's in violation of forum or RP section rules. ST doesn't fit any of those categories as yet so it's safe for now. Ultimately it'll likely be up to you as GM what happens to it though.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

xhunterko wrote: Snow Tunnels. It's not off yet but it could be soon. So I was wondering.

EDIT: And if it does fall off, I don't feel inclined to keep it going.
um.....that's....rather pessimistic , a little bit , wouldn't you say ? I mean , the RP is going well in my opinion , a little bit slow , but still ^^"
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Yeah, every RP has its slow periods. Perhaps if you are losing interest in it you could pass the reins to someone else and they might be able to keep it going.
It does look like at the moment you have a few players who are having difficulty accessing the internet but don't worry, that rarely lasts for long.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

Yeah, every RP has its slow periods. Perhaps if you are losing interest in it you could pass the reins to someone else and they might be able to keep it going.
It does look like at the moment you have a few players who are having difficulty accessing the internet but don't worry, that rarely lasts for long.
I'm hardly losing interest don't worry. I'm just worried that players are. I don't keep track of all the oocs and just this one occasionally. So if that's the reason I've pmed some people and hopefully it'll get back on track soon.
69eist

Post by 69eist »

Hey guys, have you ever wondered what it would be like to be in a CatDog RP? Just wondering what you guys think.
My Personas

Remember the past to understand the present. That way, we can look forward to the future.
Jacey

Post by Jacey »

I hardly remember the show
RP Characters:
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Hmm... Would we ever get to find out just how they go to the toilet? :P

More seriously though, it could be a lot of fun but I don't think we could use any of the actual CatDog characters. We could certainly do something set in that world though. Feel free to write up a proposal and send it to one of the mods. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Hey guys, my posting speed is gonna be slow for the next few weeks. Needa get used to college life >_<. I'll try to post 1-2 times a day...
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Roarin wrote:Hey guys, my posting speed is gonna be slow for the next few weeks. Needa get used to college life >_<. I'll try to post 1-2 times a day...
ok no prob.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

No worries, Roarin. We know you do your best.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

We've been made aware that Kurowolfe probably won't be back anytime soon, so any RPs he's in will need to write his characters out of the action, where he can pick them up at a later time if he chooses to do so.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
xhunterko

Post by xhunterko »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:We've been made aware that Kurowolfe probably won't be back anytime soon, so any RPs he's in will need to write his characters out of the action, where he can pick them up at a later time if he chooses to do so.
Aw.

No worries Roarin. If you can't post tomorrow I'll let the next person go and then get you in when you can get in if that's okay with you.