Roleplaying Forums Main Out-Of-Character Thread

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Buster
Game Master

Re: Roleplaying Forums Main Out-Of-Character Thread

Post by Buster »

tempting but i have a full roster right now.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
22xander

Post by 22xander »

That is too bad. I’ve been working hard on this one.
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I'm actually highly interested, personally. I love a setting that takes itself seriously, and your focus on the history of the area, loosely plausible hollywood science, and the fact you put in the effort to make a map says that the setting would love to take itself seriously.

You can expect me to pop up in the O.O.C. if it comes around.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

given Lounging Around is slowing to a crawl yet again and i no longer feel inclined to revive it if it stalls out a third time, and Zandar is still dead in the water, if either or both of those shut down completely, I'd have less to keep track of, but i was kinda already planning to re-pitch the magic academy rp idea i mentioned a few pages back to serene if that happened.

point is, good concept, bad timing.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

that's a shame. But yeah I agree on the good concept part. To be honest I can't see any time to be considered "opportune" time these days, RPs will only appear more over time :P
Let's hope some more others will be interested.
22xander

Post by 22xander »

I mean, at this point I just need people to be interested enough for me to do the oof. Ooc (muffins and cookies autocorrect). The ooc is going to have a lot more information than the advertisement post, some of which I need to write, which I’d really like to share ^^.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I'll join
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I'll be in South Carolina from Wednesday to Friday, so I won't be able to write many posts then, shouldn't be much of a problem, but I'm just giving a heads up
Rp characters
22xander

Post by 22xander »

That’s 3/5 people I need to go ahead. I know two others were interested, so if frost allows ones from earlier before I technically got special then that might be good. I’ll see about if it’ll work tommarow
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

So, serence just got back to me about an RP idea. What do you guys think?
Premise:
At the height of the empire’s longest uninterrupted period of peace, two shocking declarations have been made. Outsiders are no longer barred from attending the imperial mages academy, ending a century long ban. And the explorer’s guild are being allowed to re-open the planar portals, allowing those from other worlds gifted enough to find them to reach this world.

Now you, an initiate of the academy, are able step foot inside its ancient halls for the first time, and see first hand all of the newcomers that have arrived from beyond our borders. We even have a few from some place called ‘earth’... Maybe you’re even one yourself?

- - - - - - - -

How it works: I’ll be playing the headmaster and most of the teachers, anyone who wants an assistant GM position can be a teacher as well (max 1 per 4 students), the rest of the rpers are students. Welcome to a magic school populated by a bunch of animal people.

More details will be provided when the full thread goes up.
By default the setting includes reptilian, panther, wolf, fox, bird, and minotaur themed races. There is also the option of bringing others in from different settings.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Sounds like fun to me!
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

sounds cool!
Rp characters
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

This definitely has a lot of potential, and I already have a bunch different character ideas, most of them taking advantage of the ability to use races from other settings (imagine a Headmaster or a Sirian learning magic), but I’m probably not going to join it unless one of the other RPs I’m in shuts down. I’m also a little curious if it’s going to have a set story like Beacon, or if the story is mostly decided by the characters like RGV.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Good news and bad news, everyone!

The good news is that my sister is getting married this weekend!

The bad news is that that means that I'm going to be away from now until Sunday evening my time because I have to fly about 2000 miles (literally!) to the wedding and back.

Take care, everyone and do poke Serence or Render if there are any emergencies and they can text me. Hopefully I'll be able to get on in a couple of evenings too but I can't guarantee it. Definitely not Saturday evening because that's wedding night. But other nights sure.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Hlaoroo wrote:Good news and bad news, everyone!

The bad news is that that means that I'm going to be away from now until Sunday evening my time because I have to fly about 2000 miles (literally!) to the wedding and back.

Take care, everyone and do poke Serence or Render if there are any emergencies and they can text me. Hopefully I'll be able to get on in a couple of evenings too but I can't guarantee it. Definitely not Saturday evening because that's wedding night. But other nights sure.
Congratulations to your sister! When I went to my sister's wedding, the flight was about 9200 miles, if you go by measuring the distance between stops on a flat map.
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Hawkfang42 wrote:sounds cool!
CyberDragon wrote:Sounds like fun to me!
Legotron123 wrote:This definitely has a lot of potential, and I already have a bunch different character ideas, most of them taking advantage of the ability to use races from other settings (imagine a Headmaster or a Sirian learning magic), but I’m probably not going to join it unless one of the other RPs I’m in shuts down.
So... two yes's and a maybe.

also pretty sure sirians already know magic if the size of one well known one's helmet is anything to go by.

anyone else have any questions? cometary on why they would/wouldn't be interested?
I'd like to get at least one more solid yes before i post the official thread and the full version of the description.
Legotron123 wrote:I’m also a little curious if it’s going to have a set story like Beacon, or if the story is mostly decided by the characters like RGV.
to avoid 'boring classroom' issues most of the lessons are hands on, and i have a story arc planned.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I've got a question.

Do you need a CO-GM?
-Champion Motto

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

there aren't even enough players to consider that yet.
Buster wrote:How it works: I’ll be playing the headmaster and most of the teachers, anyone who wants an assistant GM position can be a teacher as well (max 1 per 4 students), the rest of the rpers are students.
Deske

Post by Deske »

What kind of magic system are you planning on using? Is it based on a current one from another universe or is it going to be home built?
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

It is definitely an interesting idea from the setting alone. I'd be up for it.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

element based homebrew, involving symbiotic relationships with extraplaniar familiars. it draws some inspiration from FMA, in that every spell has a circle and requires one to fully understand the logical structure of what their making/changing or it can backfire explosively, some from ATLA, in that there are speciffic somatic components and gestures that must always be performed correctly to maintain and manipulate the spell in question, and mental state can amplify inhibit or destabilize that, and from Knight's & Magic, in that there's a degree of code logic to how the spells are built and that the spells require more than the caster them self has so an external boost is necessary (In KM it was an external focus, in this it's your ethereal partner).
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Can you go into more details about the familiars? You say they’re extraplaniar, do they all come from the same plane, or can they come from anywhere. How intelligent are they? Can we communicate with them? Will each person have to play both the caster and the familiar, or do you have control over them?
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

They come from the Ether which exists in parallel to the physical plane, and is a realm basically made of solidified magic energies. they are of equal intelligence to the Larais (collective term for imperial citizens), most can speak but not all, and that last one is your choice. if there aren't enough to go around i'll make a few, but i was hoping you guys would make either your own or eachother's partners as secondaries.

also THREAD LINK
GrimD@rk8290

Post by GrimD@rk8290 »

Is this where I post an idea for a roleplay?

I have an idea I can't shake. I don't know how everyone views me after bowing out of a couple of roleplays already. I was goung through a move and a tough time but I have my own place and I'm hungry to get more involved again.
Sunny Briggs -Golden Labrador Retriever- S3 P5 E7 C6 I3 A8 L10
Luna Briggs - Blue Russian Cat- S8 P6 E6 C6 I7 A5 L4
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

The process is check with a section mod, pitch the idea to them, and if they decide it's different enough and/or the other roleplays full enough, you pitch it here. Once you get enough interest you can open an O.O.C. thread and begin more detailed discussion with the players there.

That all said, welcome back.
Love me right now! Done.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I'm gonna be busy working on a personal project of mine, so I'm probably either not have enough time to post, or just forget to for a little while.
Rp characters
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hlaoroo wrote:Good news and bad news, everyone!

Congrats to your sister, Hlaroo! G'bless `em!!
Celticwarlord

Post by Celticwarlord »

Heyo! I'm Alex! I just signed up to Housepets recently from Hayven Celestia and cant wait to meet everyone! I hope to find some new friends to rp with and possibly chat with later on. I also am trying to find new friends to talk to on discord XD Anyway, I hope I am welcome here uwu
I'm just a guy who likes furry things (scalies are ok also XD). I love to make friend and hope to befriend many new and interesting people during my stay here!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Welcome to the RP section! I hope you have fun here!
-Champion Motto

Celticwarlord

Post by Celticwarlord »

Heyo, I'm super new here so I wanted to ask around and see if there was anyone who knew about and liked the Hayven Celestia branch of Ricks work. I find it great and am trying to start a rp based off it, and using my own personal nation I've been developing for over 8 years. Anyway, I just want to talk to someone XD
I'm just a guy who likes furry things (scalies are ok also XD). I love to make friend and hope to befriend many new and interesting people during my stay here!
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

I'm glad you're enthusiastic about getting your ideas out there.

However, there is a procedure here set up to make sure that all RPs obey the rules of the RP section.

When you have an idea, you are supposed to submit it to Serence Frostbite, the mod of this section of the forums. Once the mods approve of it, you set up an OOC for the game. Once the OOC is up, you need to attract four players. Then, once there are 5 players (you + 4 others) you can set up the In Character section.
-Champion Motto

furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

I'm postponing my project indefinitely, so I guess I'll be posting again.
Rp characters
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

so, halifax is in the path of some nasty weather, if i disappear for a few days, assume my power is out.
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Stay safe, Buster!
-Champion Motto

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Here's in the hopes it's not as bad as it looks. Regardless, safe practices, as better safe than sorry.
Love me right now! Done.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Oh dear. Take care, Buster!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Head down, Buster.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Neon Icy Wings
Game Master

Post by Neon Icy Wings »

Be safe!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Try not to die! It’d be a really bummer if you did.

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

well, i've got a gig of data and two hours of battery power, that need to last me until my wifi and electricity are back up... wheee.