HPU: Applegate OOC

For all those times you're not in character, try new "Out of Character"

Moderators: CyberDragon, Serence Frostbite

Leafolawl

Re: HPU: Applegate OOC

Post by Leafolawl »

Moon Howler, that introductory post goes into one of the things that I was most concerned about. He readily identified as a non-pet. There might not be much of an issue taken to pets who aren't around their owner and—with a lot of lawyer work, loads of money, and special permissions—pets that live in a house all their own, but there's some clear legal issues with free-roaming non-pets.

Why is he not in a pound or adoption shelter if that's a standard question for his wardrobe options and lifestyle? I would think in a few years of traveling he'd have run into more than one person who would take him to one of those two places in order to get him into a house to be cared for.

Sorry if I seem like I'm nit-picking.
Love me right now! Done.
SoujiTheFox wrote:(9:36:35 PM) Steve: THE CHRIST AM I NAMED STEVE FOR
Why do I still find this funny?
The Moon Howler

Post by The Moon Howler »

Can't there be people who would just help those like Martin out of good heart and not force them into a pound or any other kind of institution against their will?
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

Housepets: Silver the Cat! fanfic

My RP Characters
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Serence Frostbite »

The Moon Howler wrote:Can't there be people who would just help those like Martin out of good heart and not force them into a pound or any other kind of institution against their will?
that , and when you think about it , it could probably also because of how he was raised for a large part of his life , living among the trees as a mystic . This might mean that he needed to learn how to be independent and how to take care of himself , so by the time he began his own journey , Martin could've been so used to that life style that he prefers it over his former one as a pet , possible evidence could be from the fact that he actively avoids big cities , and only blends in some festivities in order to get money for food and materials. So him wanting to go in a pound and/or looking for an owner would be unlikely .
Now you could argue that other people might offer him a home , or in case of animal control , catch him against his will , but if someone is nice enough to help and even offer him a proper home in the first place , I think they'll be also nice enough to respect his life style and his wish to continue it . What about the forceful alternative then ? Well we're talking about a half wolf who knows both martial arts , armed and unarmed , some of them is no longer known among human society , and magic , sooooo :P

oh and Leaf , both Duke and Miles replied to Rena in case you missed it ^^
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Two things: Firstly, I never said that there can't be those who want to help him. Of course there will be. Second, it's less about what he's used to, and more what he does and where he goes.

Of course there will be those who just want to help, but how people want to help will vary. Some will do just as that old man did. Others, however, would get the authorities to have him taken into a shelter or pound, and traveling beside the road would be a good way to get highway patrol officers to call the people that will pick him up as well. That is part of their job, after all.

Aside from that, fighting them would be a bad idea. With magic even more so. Fighting at all would make it so he's considered dangerous and in need of being detained, put in an animal behavior school, or... Well, other things, simply put.

I've been told I think too hard about things, and the 'what if's are still there, but there's such thing as pushing the suspension of disbelief too far. Personally, I feel it does that, but that may just be me.
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

I imagine with magic he wouldn't have to fight the authorities, he could just escape them.As he could anyone who would call the authorities.
also, keep in mind that this is a neighborhood where two feral foxes can roam the streets freely with minimal interference from authorities.
Am I saying authorities too much?
alert the authorities
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

I suppose I am just thinking too hard about it. Still, something in it puts this strange taste in my mouth, and I can't tell if it's good or not.

Carry on.
Love me right now! Done.
The-J-Man

Post by The-J-Man »

hey guys, i have returned. I was just wondering if you could help me with my starting post in Applegate. Should i just start with my character moving in?
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

welcome back J-man , and yeah having the character move in on is usually how most people started ^^
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Hi, J-Man!
You can be as creative with this as you like!
You can start with a moving-in post or you can start as though the character has already arrived and set up. Anything you like, really. :)

Leaf, I can understand your concerns. He wouldn't be the first stray animal to avoid capture though. It happens all the time in our world and I can see it happening even more often in this world, especially given that he has magic. I say, give it a go and see what happens. :) Things can always be changed later if it doesn't work out.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Am I right in assuming that Rena only just realised that Lilly is blind and that Martin hasn't realised yet?

It'll be interesting to see if Martin notices Lilly's mental touch too. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

Yes, Rena has just realized that Lilly is blind.
Love me right now! Done.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Thought so, thanks. Doesn't really affect my post. It was just fun to realise. :)
Rena must have found it a bit odd then, Lilly surmising all those things which would have been plain to see if you could actually see. :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

... Hardly, if I'm to be completely honest. The height one is the only observation found weird, but she didn't really gather enough in the rambling to think "What are you talking about" would be a good idea.
Love me right now! Done.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

I'm new, and this forum is a lot more structured about how RP's work than i'm used to, so I might not be doing this right... but i ask here first then post a character, right? or is there something else?

I was hoping I could add Buster Woods (cat - main) Duster Woods (Seeing-eye dog - minor) & Cassie Woods (Buster's owner/Duster's client - minor) to the town.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Buster wrote:I'm new, and this forum is a lot more structured about how RP's work than i'm used to, so I might not be doing this right... but i ask here first then post a character, right? or is there something else?

I was hoping I could add Buster Woods (cat - main) Duster Woods (Seeing-eye dog - minor) & Cassie Woods (Buster's owner/Duster's client - minor) to the town.
Hi Buster :) , though I can't say if we're accepting new members right now ( pretty sure we are , like 99.99999% sure , but ya know :P ) , I would like to welcome you to join the RP community anyway ^^ , if you wanna join then maybe the first thing you need to do is make a character sheet for each of your character , details can be found here https://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/v ... 54#p601354
yeah it's a little bit of reading , but I think it might be a little bit useful , so :P
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

we have room for more players, feel free to post character sheets. you only really need to post sheets for the pets/service animals, though if you want to make one for their owner then go ahead
should be interesting, since we already have a blind pet as well as another pet named Buster.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Character Name: Cassie Woods
Species: Human
Neighbourhood: Applegate

Appearance: Average height, skinny, and seems oblivious to her own appearance at times (prone to wearing odd color combinations, and priorities 'comfy' over 'stylish' or 'practical'. Justified in some ways as you can't exactly 'feel' the difference between red and blue.). Cassie has long red hair tied back in a braid. She has amber eyes, however they have a faded look to them and never seem to focus on anything, like she's always staring off into space. This is directly related to Buster's nonsensical name, and why Duster never leaves her side.

Personality:
Casandra, or Cassie as she prefers to go by, is surprisingly hard to sneak up on, though it's not due to paranoia or similar personality quirks, she just relies on her hearing far more than most people, and as a result is good at differentiating individual sounds. Unfortunately, the source of that talent is compensating for the fact that she can't see, at all. She was born with cataracts that went untreated, and by the time she was two her retinas had almost completely degenerated from disuse, rendering treatment impossible.

Despite that limitation she's as independent as she can be, save for relying on duster to guide her in places where hearing alone isn't enough, and holds a cheerful outlook on life.

Cassie has little to no interest in visual media like tv or movies, as she's unable to experience about half their content. She has a strong love of music, rather enjoys audiobooks, and her sharp hearing has always given her an edge in audio related fields.
You'll often hear her humming some tune or other.

Other notes:
Buster and Duster are her pets. Duster is also her seeing-eye dog.
Originally she thought Buster was a dog, and though she's since apologized and offered to come up with a more fitting name, Buster has refused every time.
Cassie works at a radio station. She's always felt that, as someone who experiences the world primarily through sound, radio is just better. She recently moved due to getting sick of listening to Buster whine about their apartment being too small.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Character Name: Buster Woods
Color: blue
Type: Main
Species/Breed: Cat, Mixed, Mostly norwegian forest cat

Appearance: Black and white, with odd blue smudges mostly where the two colors meet. She likes to groom her head fur so it curls down and in, looking almost like a human hairstyle.

Buster is a little overweight at the moment, but that's mainly because of being stuck in the city up until recently. Her size isn't enough to restrict her movement, or cause health problems, but it does make her noticeably fluffier.

Personality: Buster was raised by Cassie, and doesn't actually remember her real mother. Just Momma Cassie, and Nana (what she calls Cassie's mother). For the longest time Casie thought she was a dog, and Buster not knowing the difference due to having not met any other cats didn't correct her on that until she was nearly two. Despite having a dog's name, and a male dog's at that, she refuses to let Momma change it. She likes her name, and thinks that the way it rhymes with Duster's is neat.
Like many cats, buster is prone to chronic laziness, though the places you'll find her curled up can be odd. Things like being on top of the fridge. She likes high places.

Buster can be a bit of a smart aleck, and picks things up rather quickly, unfortunately she tends to pick up misconceptions and misinformation just as quickly, and has a bad habit of spreading it around. To make matters worse, she naturally sounds authoritative, so if someone doesn't actually know for certain she's wrong, she might actually convince them.

Other notes:
Female.
One of her favorite pastimes is climbing trees. No she does not get stuck, that's just a stereotype. I mean come on, modern cats have thumbs, climbing is not hard.
Having been raised on a farm before her owner moved out and got a job in the city, Buster HATES city life, and has been badgering Momma for weeks to take her somewhere with more room and some trees to climb.
Her collar's ornament is a shooting star.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:

- Strength: 3
- Perception: 7
- Endurance: 5
- Charisma: 7
- Intelligence: 8
- Agility: 7
- Luck: 5

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Character Name: Duster Woods
Color: brown
Type: Minor
Species/Breed: Dog, Chocolate Lab

Appearance: Solid dark brown everywhere except around his nose, which is more of a sandy brown. He's oversized for his breed putting him almost a full head taller than most dogs. if we assume most pets are 120-130cm, Duster would be about 145. he is to a dog, what a basketball player is to a less athletic human. His collar is, for lack of a better word, over-designed. It's more of a harness, with a handle behind his shoulders for someone to hold, and he usually has a white vest on underneath it with the logo of his old guide dog school on it. Duster is in reasonable shape.

Personality: Quiet, Reserved. Duster goes everywhere Cassie does, partly because he cares about her, and partly because it's his job, but he rarely interacts with those around them or really do much beyond making sure she's aware of her surroundings. He's a bit of a workaholic, and rarely takes time for himself.

Other notes:
Male.
Duster is employed as a seeing eye dog.
Unlike Buster, he thinks the whole rhyming names thing is silly and doesn't see why she puts up with it.
As a general rule, it's safe to assume Duster is present whenever Cassie is, and vise versa. They're less their own characters and more extensions of eachother.
His collar's ornament resembles a wild west-style sheriff's badge.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L stats:

- Strength: 4
- Perception: 10
- Endurance: 8
- Charisma: 4
- Intelligence: 6
- Agility: 6
- Luck: 4
Last edited by Buster on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

looks good, If no one has any objections or suggestion, you can start posting in 24 hours.
for the record, almost everyone is in the bookstore, but The-J-Man's character is on his own outside on main street right now so I'd suggest you go interact with him.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Moon Howler

I have some mostly cosmetic objections:

Cassie: she's human and as such she does not use color text (it should be black underlined) and special stats. Humans are generally NPCs so they don't need type.

Buster: the line for gender might be added. Also how much exactly is "little overweight at the moment" and wouldn't that interfere with 7 agility in her special stats. Also isn't 3 strength essentially thee strength of an otter/ferret/more muscular mouse/rat?

Duster: Nothing there, really, just the gender clarification and maybe putting in something a bit more numeric for the height?
I am The Moon Howler - the being with no exact form. I serve the Moon Goddess and in return, she gives me my muse and my shape.

My RP Characters
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'd say 3 is an alright strength for a cat, it's only two notches below average. and slightly overweight is perfectly fine for 7 agility.
If you want to change it you can,but unless anyone else agrees with Moon's assessment, I won't make you.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Personally I do like to give my humans coloured dialogue but there's no official rule either way as to whether they should be coloured or just black. In fact, I've also seen black underline as a pet's dialogue colour. So that part is really just GM preference.

As to strength 3, I think that's fine. I have a rabbit with strength 3. Rats and mice being smaller animals will probably have a strength of 1 or 2 because they have the special addendum that their stats get cut in half due to their stature.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Buster is female, Duster is male.

As for weight, Um, enough to make her look a bit fluffier than normal, but not enough to cause health problems? Like a chubby kid, overweight but not problematically so.
I'm using imprecise terms cause I don't know what the healthy weight of a 120cm-ish tall anthropomorphic being is.

Also, if we assume most pets are 120-130cm, Duster would be about 145. he is to a dog, what a basketball player is to a less athletic human.

as for the strength and agility thing, my brother's cat IRL was practically a balloon compared to most tabbys, and she could still jump high enough to catch birds mid-takeoff. I'm almost 150kg IRL, and I can still run reasonably fast. so above average agility is unlikely, yes, but far from impossible. Strength wise, enough to overpower a rodent is really all the strength a housecatcat needs, so being on par with a strong rat or mouse made sense to me.
If enough people complain, or the GM tells me to, I'll change it to a 4/6, rather than 3/7. But I like her as she is...

From what was written in the thread I got the character sheet from, it sounded like NPC's could be controlled by other people, which is problematic for Cassie as that's effectively taking control of Duster as well, due to his job as a service dog. Hence why I'm treating her more like a proper character than the 'in the background, doesn't do much' owners in the comic, Fanwork, and other RP's.
The Moon Howler

Heh, sorry for being nitpicky. All I wanted were some more specifications, which I got.
No more objections on my end.
However, I would strongly advice that you include that additional info to your sheets and to fix your human.

My RP Characters
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Buster wrote:From what was written in the thread I got the character sheet from, it sounded like NPC's could be controlled by other people, which is problematic for Cassie as that's effectively taking control of Duster as well, due to his job as a service dog. Hence why I'm treating her more like a proper character than the 'in the background, doesn't do much' owners in the comic, Fanwork, and other RP's.
Ah, sorry for the confusion there. Please allow me to explain. We usually treat owners as minor characters in the RPs rather than NPCs. NPCs tend to be other human characters like vets or shop owners that are recurring in the RP but that aren't considered as taking up a person's allowed character spots.

Neither NPCs nor minor characters are controlled by anyone other than the person who created that character without that person's permission. Control of NPCs can be passed to other players if desired, however this does not normally occur for minor characters, and again control will not be taken of any character without the permission of the creator. The only exception to that is if a GM needs to keep a story moving after player inactivity or if a GM needs to actively steer the story in a direction that is not likely to breach forum rules.

I hope that clears up the confusion for you but if not or if you have any other questions then please don't hesitate to ask. :)
Buster wrote:If enough people complain, or the GM tells me to, I'll change it to a 4/6, rather than 3/7. But I like her as she is...
Like I said, I like her like she is too. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

fixed it, also added pictures and a link in my signature.

Also, is Oak street, Lot G claimed?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Buster wrote:Also, is Oak street, Lot G claimed?
doesn't appear to be.

on that note, anyone who hasn't chosen a house on the map please do so and let me know.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Moon Howler

I'll guess Martin will find a nice place within the forest

My RP Characters
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Lilly has house Q on Oak Street. You just forgot to write her on the front page. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Leafolawl

Post by Leafolawl »

... Rena's residence should be obvious.
Love me right now! Done.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

oh yeah, I need to switch you back to the active list. yeah, I know where Rena lives :P
Hlaoroo wrote:Lilly has house Q on Oak Street. You just forgot to write her on the front page. ;)
I think you introduced her after I had done my last round of editing to the first post.

on another note, The-J-Man just informed me that he doesn;t actually have the time to RP so he's stepping out.

so when you make your introduction post, Buster, you'll probably want to join everyone else in the bookstore
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

wait a sec... I was looking through the character sheets, both Busters have black as their main fur color & yellow eyes...

I swear I didn't do that on purpose. :?

Should I change that?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

no, it's fine, just a fun coincidence. maybe when my Buster comes back, we can do the classic "is this a weird mirror?" joke :P

also, take note of my edit to my previous post
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:I think you introduced her after I had done my last round of editing to the first post.
That's quite likely. It would have been around that time.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: no, it's fine, just a fun coincidence. maybe when my Buster comes back, we can do the classic "is this a weird mirror?" joke :P
I can't wait to see that! :lol: When is your Buster coming back, Brent?
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:on another note, The-J-Man just informed me that he doesn;t actually have the time to RP so he's stepping out.
That's a shame. Oh well.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote: so when you make your introduction post, Buster, you'll probably want to join everyone else in the bookstore
I second that.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Well, I could use a mover ruining one of her Pridelands books as motivation for her to head over there first thing. Though she'll probably be in a vengeful mood to start then.
Though not the one that's a Limited Edition signed copy. Fictional or not, she'd find a way to kill me for that.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Hlaoroo wrote:I can't wait to see that! :lol: When is your Buster coming back, Brent?
probably not for a while, cause he's away for the entire in-game day. unless we do a time skip at some point that may take a few months, maybe even a year depending on how fast we move through the day.

as for going to the bookstore, it has books on tape as well as some braille books, so Cassie might be interested. or she could want a new book. no nee to ruin a good fictional copy of a fictional book just for the sake of fictional interaction :P
or maybe she could visit the music store and find out from the owners that all the other pets are in the bookstore.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

huh....for some reason I thought that we are at least at midday already
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

well, I assumed the day started at maybe 8AM, and since then at most 3 hours, so it's around 11 AM.
unless you guys want it to be later, in which case we could say the day started a bit late and call it noon.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Serence Frostbite
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

oh ok then that's actually fit what I was assuming , then there's no problem then ^^ . I guess it's just that I got used to the concept of time we have over here , where the day start at like 5AM , and 11AM is considered "midday" already :P
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

I thought it has at least been 11am myself. I feel like I made my post for Draco around 8am also... or 10am.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I have no idea what time it is so I'll go along with you guys.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters