Chat Thread 42: The Answer To Life, The Universe and Everyth

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

JeffCvt

Re: Chat Thread 42: The Answer To Life, The Universe and Eve

Post by JeffCvt »

I'm pretty sure Vista suffered from the same problems that a lot of things like that suffer from. It was the first steps into a new direction for personal computers. Yes, there were laptops with Windows XP, but Vista was right around when laptops were kinda becoming standard instead of a luxury. I know that computers were also getting larger hard drives and a lot more RAM on average. The biggest problems I honestly heard about Vista were dealing with large file transfers and eating up all of the RAM because everyone was still trying to figure out how to make use of it all and so it kinda saved EVERYTHING instead of what was important.

It kinda suffered from the same problems that I found the Samsung Galaxy S4 and S6 suffered from. The S3 was a great phone, so they had to try and innovate for the S4. The S4 was... not bad, but not an outstanding phone either. Then came the S5 and it was awesome. That once again raised the bar for the S6 and forced Samsung to try to innovate and... well, I'm sure you guys know what happened with that. And you want to honestly know what the S7, considered to be one of the best smartphones out right now, is? A polished S6. They found out what worked with it, what didn't, and basically made the S6 again fixing the mistakes.

Same thing with Windows. XP was great, but due to advancing technology, they HAD to try new things and it just didn't work the first time. When I tried Windows 7, it didn't strike me as a brand new OS like vista had after XP. It struck me as the same thing, just polished. People always seem to talk down on things like that when they don't work out, but that's just how it works. Sometimes things just need time to develop and what we get in the meantime isn't always... well, good.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Vista wasn't too bad, but most people's experience i had with Vista was that it was slow and had trouble running background processes. I never really found vista bad, though, to be honest.

If i remember correctly about Vista, one of the problems i recall Vista had that was making it clunky for people back then was the ever-so-adaptable Windows Defender, but it wasn't doing so hot back on Vista. Security in general was the big issue.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

What I don't get is why Windows, with its infamy for even-numbered versions being bad, skipped from 8 to 10. :P
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I heard they believed there might be an issue because of Windows '95 and the updates being confused by that or something.

*checks how many iterations of Windows there have been out of curiosity*

Huh. Windows 10 is actually the 14th iteration. Funnily enough, Windows Vista is the 10th.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

The Blue Fox wrote:I heard they believed there might be an issue because of Windows '95 and the updates being confused by that or something.
that's supposedly a benefit of choosing 10 but not the main reason. the problem is that a bunch of big programs check OS compatibility by checking for the string "Windows 9" to make sure it isn't 95 or 98. but 9 would be caught by that too.

but I think the actual reason was something about sounding like they're taking a bigger leap forward, especially since this is allegedly their last new OS.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Deske

Post by Deske »

GameCobra wrote:Vista wasn't too bad, but most people's experience i had with Vista was that it was slow and had trouble running background processes. I never really found vista bad, though, to be honest.

If i remember correctly about Vista, one of the problems i recall Vista had that was making it clunky for people back then was the ever-so-adaptable Windows Defender, but it wasn't doing so hot back on Vista. Security in general was the big issue.
Data Execution Prevention demolished it's ability to game. I remember having to tango with that program when I had Vista.
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
The Blue Fox wrote:I heard they believed there might be an issue because of Windows '95 and the updates being confused by that or something.
that's supposedly a benefit of choosing 10 but not the main reason. the problem is that a bunch of big programs check OS compatibility by checking for the string "Windows 9" to make sure it isn't 95 or 98. but 9 would be caught by that too.

but I think the actual reason was something about sounding like they're taking a bigger leap forward, especially since this is allegedly their last new OS.
Somehow I don't really think windows 10 is going to be the last OS. Unless they're going to turn it into XP with its infinite support.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Deske wrote:Somehow I don't really think windows 10 is going to be the last OS. Unless they're going to turn it into XP with its infinite support.
well, from what I heard they'll still release different versions of Windows 10, the same way all the apple OSs have been OSX 10.x since 2001.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Eh. I'm sure they'll "reboot" at some point. It's all about marketing anyway. Once the tea leaves say they would do well to change how they present it, they will.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Okay, let's play a little guessing game. For those who don't know there's these shorts on Cartoon Network called Wabbit, and one character that frequently appears in the shorts is a dim witted but lovable Bigfoot. Can you guess who voices him?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxVrdVB1Mbo
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Saturn381 wrote:Can you guess who voices him?
wow, I'm clearly not familiar enough with his vocal range. and I've seen him at a convention before.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Not as good as the original :P
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

that's a Yeti, not a Bigfoot. they're similar but different. so the voices had to be different as well.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
schradieck

Post by schradieck »

Ok, i'm going to suddenly become active here. there was another forum where I was super active, but things ended on bad terms a week ago.
bad enough I lost every online friend I had, and bad enough I got placed on a suicide watch as i'm an extreme risk right now.

but enough depressing interesting banana.
HI PEOPLES! I IS YOUR NEW FRIEND! :D
PLEASE TALK TO ME I'M LONELY! :cry:
Not lonely anymore,

But do still feel free to talk to me
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I'm sorry to hear about what happened. I hope that you'll have a better experience on this part of the internet. Pretty much anything you want to chat about, you can here. It is the "Chat Thread" after all :)
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

You also have the Housepets! Telegram Group :)
http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... f=3&t=3863
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

So, who here has had to move a lot?
Just wondering, I am about to move for the second time in my life.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
RedFoxWizard

Post by RedFoxWizard »

Technically I moved 4 times, even though the first two times were in the same town (I don't remember the first one as I was too young), and then outside of the town on the family farm, then finally I "moved" into a dorm for college. They weren't all that big of moves as I thought they'd be. :lol:
Ice and fire magic? Does that result in a freezer-burn?
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

My dad was in the military, so I have moved 8 times since I was born, not including college (I've lived in two different dorms since I started), or anything under 6 months.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I've moved twice in my life. Once to the other side of town, once to the other side of the world :D
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I have yet to move outta my parent's house. Can't really afford my own place when I'm stuck unemployed.

I was kinda thinking of trying to find my own place anyway...then I got a RL girlfriend who had to come live with me. Long story.

It's just way too inconvinient to live in a house where there's four people and only 1 bathroom...kitchen tends to get crowded too sometimes. Plus there's no privacy.

The sooner either she or I or both can hold down a job with a regular, decent income, the sooner we can get our own place and the better it'd be for everyone.
Unusuallynamedperson

Post by Unusuallynamedperson »

I know that feeling, household of five often with guess', I am just lucky I live in the middle of nowhere
If I hit someone with a dictionary is that physical, or verbal assault?
https://discord.gg/2Kwwv Housepets Discord link repaired!
Jacey
Location: inside a miniture submarine that is orbiting the earth.

Post by Jacey »

I think I was wrong with my earlier post, my family moved at least once before when I was younger so this new move will be move 3.
I spent most of my life in one house before a few things changed and now am moving apartments. Went from my home town, to a new city, back to my home town again.
The Blue Fox wrote:I have yet to move outta my parent's house. Can't really afford my own place when I'm stuck unemployed.

I was kinda thinking of trying to find my own place anyway...then I got a RL girlfriend who had to come live with me. Long story.

It's just way too inconvinient to live in a house where there's four people and only 1 bathroom...kitchen tends to get crowded too sometimes. Plus there's no privacy.

The sooner either she or I or both can hold down a job with a regular, decent income, the sooner we can get our own place and the better it'd be for everyone.
I sort of have the same situation with me (not the girlfriend part though). I even have only one bathroom now, and cant find a place I can afford.
Obbl wrote:I've moved twice in my life. Once to the other side of town, once to the other side of the world :D
Sounds like quite a journey.
RP Characters:
[All have gone on vacation]
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

I'm finding less and less reason to come back to this forum, it's really disheartening honestly

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Why? What reasons to stay are you looking for? What're you interested in?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Is there something putting you off the forums, Kuro? You're more than welcome to talk to any of the staff privately if you don't want it common knowledge. We'd like everyone to feel welcome and safe here.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Douglas Collier

Well, for me, the comic updating more frequently was a catalyst for forum activity. It's kind of dried up a little since the change in schedule.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Aww... well I hope things turn out for the better for ya, Kuro!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

the interesting parts of forum itself slowing to a crawl (low posts per day) probably doesn't help.

I mean when was the last time you saw pices of fanart go up on consecutive days? Or an rp thread where posting every 2-3 days got you left behind?
I know from my own experience it's hard to find the motivation to work on something when it feels like no one else is.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

A lot of our forum members are teenagers, so activity tends to drop off when public school and university are in session.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Dissension wrote:A lot of our forum members are teenagers, so activity tends to drop off when public school and university are in session.
Speaking of that, when does Winter Holiday starts in the North hemisphere?
Have you been looking at the thing above this? Dis is my old signature and is not relevant anymore.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It varies, but I'd say mid-December is a good guesstimate.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

So I just have to hope that I do not fail so I don't need to go to school in December :? I'm doing school badly already.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Awwr... anything we can help with?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Oh hey, look how many posts I reached today! This number pleases me. ^^
11111.PNG
11111.PNG (69.95 KiB) Viewed 16836 times
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

nice. <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Douglas Collier

Of course, most of it is probably RP. :P
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

I'm somewhat near you, with 884 posts :)
tsMKG

Post by tsMKG »

Geez! I made a twitter account some days ago and... puff!

Is really hard to keep in touch with everything! It goes too fast!

(Or am I slow?)
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I don't think anyone sees everything from everyone they follow on twitter. I just look at the highlights on mobile and occasionally a small chunk of my timeline
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's part of the reason I stopped using Tumblr. Too much happens to follow, so my friends' activity gets drowned out with a bunch of random shared things.