Chat Thread 33

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Re: Chat Thread 33

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

it is a way to denote that you have purposefully said something stupid. as if someone had thrown a brick at your head for saying it.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Though some people have a tendency to overuse it.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

indeed, they do. *bricked* *bricked for overuse of bricked*
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
TensaZangetsu

Post by TensaZangetsu »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:indeed, they do. *bricked* *bricked for overuse of bricked*
You mean like Leafolawl
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Leaf doesn't overuse it
he just has a penchant for self correction.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

Or..... he tends to over use it. Least on the IRC.
The bricks thing is very popular on the Housepets! IRC, though I am not a fan of it, because it can and has been used to get away with saying things that you should not originally, in the bad way. Maybe I am just looking at one part of it, but it really does bug me when people go overly crazy and violent, then just say bricked after it as in "Ohh, don't worry, I did not mean it." It does not change or excuse the fact that you just said the things you did.

Thats my couple of thoughts on the subject.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I am not a fan of it, because it can and has been used to get away with saying things that you should not originally
The world would be kind of boring if everybody spent all their time worrying about not saying something humorous for fear of offending people.

I still don't like "Bricked" for a lot of reasons. The main one being that if you just say what you want to say without adding "bricked," people are going to understand that you were kidding and it will look much cleaner and have a better delivery and we can all enjoy the comment. also, it's wordy and odd. Just the idea that you get hit with a brick for joking. And even if you really just HAVE to put a verbal irony indicator, there are much better substitutes, such as "*giggles*," ":P," "⊥," or even "lol."
bwah bwah
TensaZangetsu

Post by TensaZangetsu »

(⌒-⌒; )
I use my emotes to show when I'm joking
FlintTheSquirrel

Actually, I kinda mean what I said in the way of swearing or extremely gory violence which I have seen it used for, more than a few times actually.
And I use expression emotes as well. :3
TensaZangetsu

Post by TensaZangetsu »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Actually, I kinda mean what I said in the way of swearing or extremely gory violence which I have seen it used for, more than a few times actually.
And I use expression emotes as well. :3
!(◎_◎;)
;-_ -)

That's was upsetting
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

what was upsetting?
actually i'm pretty certain it was directed at me anyway, in case there was confusion regarding the audience of his post. Unless you're talking about the second line, which I could hardly interpret as upsetting.
TensaZangetsu wrote:(⌒-⌒; )
I use my emotes to show when I'm joking
Which is usually another fine way to do it. Personally I find overly complex smilies to be a bit grating. There's a lot of things that I don't even know what it's supposed to represent. I could just look it up, but usually I can tell from context, because they're often unnecessary.
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Actually, I kinda mean what I said in the way of swearing or extremely gory violence which I have seen more than a few times actually.
Yeah, I can imagine someone using it as an excuse to smooth over a poorly delivered joke that sounded to extreme. For the most part though it's usually just used to pass harmless jests (unnecessarily so)
bwah bwah
TensaZangetsu

Post by TensaZangetsu »

(*^_^*) I can explain them if you want
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

I'm fine without knowing.
bwah bwah
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

It's either that or people use *shot* instead.
TensaZangetsu

Post by TensaZangetsu »

Psykeout wrote:I'm fine without knowing.
You're no fun!!
> 3<)
Dubiousity

Post by Dubiousity »

What ever happened to "just kidding"?
Sometimes I wish the world would end in 2012
FlintTheSquirrel

I so badly want to say "^ That". It just sounds better to me in any case. (Sorry for being so plainly vocal on this.) ^^;
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

NickCole wrote:It's either that or people use *shot* instead.
which has all the same problems as Bricked except it's even more stupid to say, as you'll probably kill yourself doing that so much.
Dubiousity wrote:What ever happened to "just kidding"?
Preferable over Bricked, but really if you need to put something to let people know you're joking, you should probably not be joking at all, because you're doing an awful job and people should be able to tell when you're joking and you're a bad person and should feel bad. *Bricked*
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I so badly want to say "^ That".
You just did.
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:(Sorry for being so plainly vocal on this.) ^^;
You don't need to apologize. No one's going to throw bricks at you for voicing your harmless opinion.
bwah bwah
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

You don't need to apologize. No one's going to throw bricks at you for voicing your harmless opinion.
Who said I wont Image
^For me its a lot more fun to do it like that!
I has Deviant... urrm... by same name (durr)
FlintTheSquirrel

I hope you meant that brick dropped on your head or something?
Xane wrote:Both *bricked* and *shot* are still tons less annoying than *psych!/sike!* that was so popular in the '90s. Ugh.
Well I must admit that is true, however, the word now-a-days is used probably 5 times as much as psych ever was. Makes it hard to hold a conversation without spastic randomness flying in with bricks everywhere.
I probably should not look to the internet to hold normal conversations. XP
Kaido

Post by Kaido »

They're just little quirks/habits. A lot of people have things like that~

"FlintTheSquirrel cries for Kaido. He is the only one who understood me not understanding things. :("
NickCole

Post by NickCole »

What Kai said.

I personally just use it as if I'm using 'Just kidding~'. I used to use that back then until I met friends that used *bricked* and I thought it was entertaining and more of a comedy-sense then 'just kidding'. Ever since then, it's been a habit and it's hard to remove. I: Though, I would understand that it's been overused lately and stuff but forcing people to stop using it doesn't feel right just 'cause you find it annoying or weird. (Or even violent, in some cases.)
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

This is true. People can say whatever they want, and there's no need to stop just because it's annoying.
Kaido wrote:They're just little quirks/habits. A lot of people have things like that~
Smoking is a habit. Doesn't make it less annoying/bad/blah.
bwah bwah
Kaido

Post by Kaido »

Psykeout wrote:This is true. People can say whatever they want, and there's no need to stop just because it's annoying.
Kaido wrote:They're just little quirks/habits. A lot of people have things like that~
Smoking is a habit. Doesn't make it less annoying/bad/blah.
That is completely different. You're comparing smoking... to typing.

"FlintTheSquirrel cries for Kaido. He is the only one who understood me not understanding things. :("
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

some comedian wrote:Opinions are like #### holes, everbody's got one,
now tell me what are better, #### holes or opinions?
Some comedy guy said that (I hope I've been discrete enough...),
Its very fitting in this discussion.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Kaido wrote:That is completely different. You're comparing smoking... to typing.
well OBVIOUSLY smoking is worse than typing. The point that still stands is that "I do it because it it's a habit" doesn't excuse something of it's negative traits. Typing "Bricked" obviously has fewer and lesser negative traits to be excused than smoking does.
bwah bwah
FlintTheSquirrel

NickCole wrote:forcing people to stop using it doesn't feel right just 'cause you find it annoying or weird. (Or even violent, in some cases.)
That is not my intention at the moment. Though I wished some of my friends did not pick up the habit at times. ^^;
And that is why I am apologizing, if it sounds like I am being assertive by saying this.
Psykeout wrote:well OBVIOUSLY smoking is worse than typing. The point that still stands is that "I do it because it it's a habit" doesn't excuse something of it's negative traits. Typing "Bricked" obviously has fewer and lesser negative traits to be excused.
I am not sure I can call it to much of a bad trait, but it does get bad when it is over used true. But yes, the first thing is MUCH worse.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:And that is why I am apologizing, if it sounds like I am being assertive by saying this.
being assertive isn't something one should apologize for.
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I am not sure I can call it to much of a bad trait, but it does get bad when it is over used true.
Well, "negative qualities one may attribute to the behavior" then. To be more accurate.
bwah bwah
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

Nit-picking Image
Has something fun happend lately?
FlintTheSquirrel

Sorry, I am probably blocking the fun. ^^; I shall stop for a bit if needed.
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Tattorack wrote:Has something fun happend lately?
my school exploded yesterday.
Tattorack wrote:Nit-picking
actually, I was clarifying. there's a small distinction that's irrelevant.
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Sorry, I am probably blocking the fun. ^^; I shall stop for a bit if needed.
No, you're fine Flint.
bwah bwah
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

Oh wow cool!!
Realy?!
I was talking about the whole conversation on its own,
if people care that its too much they'll do it less, If not they wont,
there isn't much you can do to/for/with others...
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

Tattorack wrote:
Oh wow cool!!
Realy?!
no
Tattorack wrote:
I was talking about the whole conversation on its own,
if people care that its too much they'll do it less, If not they wont,
there isn't much you can do to/for/with others...
thank you restating this for us.
bwah bwah
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

thank you restating this for us.
I'm too good at bieng Captain Obvius!
no
Fiddlesticks!
CY_Law

Post by CY_Law »

Rook wrote:EDIT: Uh, I hate to switch subjects, but what is this "*bricked*" thing? Maybe I'm internet dumb, but does anyone know what it is?
It starts out as some some very personal habit/quirk in the first place. And here,
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:it is a way to denote that you have purposefully said something stupid. as if someone had thrown a brick at your head for saying it.
Almost correct. It's the same thing when you always see someone get smacked up in the head or getting kick in the foot because they said something either a, bad joke, obscure joke, might-be-offensive statement, or just up right stated something in an inappropriate situation. For that, together with the "personal habit/quirk" statement, it works almost the same, except this leans towards more like obscure humour rather than crude joke, that your statement "might not get through, but don't mind it much", of course with its little side effect, for it's something personal and I'm not surprised if people keep questioning it.
Sleet wrote:Though some people have a tendency to overuse it.
And for here, that's very unfortunate, and I'll not state who they are here.
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:... but it really does bug me when people go overly crazy and violent, then just say bricked after it as in "Ohh, don't worry, I did not mean it." It does not change or excuse the fact that you just said the things you did.
That is why we frown upon it when it's overused, and worse, mis-used. You see it everywhere, most of the place, people would want to be a jerk, but don't wanna risk to get into trouble, they took this alternative method, be it using "bricked" or "shot" or "smacked" or "stoned to death" or not, they would assume this is a free pass to get away with their crude jokes. Unintended side effect it may be, we would be off better by taking the effort to identify whether the joke is a good one, or a bad one.
Psykeout wrote: The main one being that if you just say what you want to say without adding "bricked," people are going to understand that you were kidding and it will look much cleaner and have a better delivery and we can all enjoy the comment.
Can't be too sure about that, we have all our fair share of encountering over sensitive people on the internet, or just out right having a poor sense of humour. If they don't get it and get offended, *We* are the one getting all the blame and trouble. Keep that in mind, it's more like playing safe, rather than keep the joke hanging there while the others overthink, excessively.
Psykeout wrote: there are much better substitutes, such as "*giggles*," ":P," "⊥," or even "lol."
Now that you said it, I could say the same thing as well, and to be honest, I don't really like "giggles" and the emote ":P" too much as well, however, that's just what I feel, and even for "lol", now I use almost all of them myself, and I can't stop myself to not admit that even those are overused, a bit of irony there. It's simply a matter of taste, surely there are people who get tired of the streams of ":P" and "lol" in a conversation. And I have to admit, in reference to what you said, those emotes also gives me the same feeling that "bricked" gave you.
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:Actually, I kinda mean what I said in the way of swearing or extremely gory violence which I have seen it used for, more than a few times actually.
I myself have seen it a few times, and I'll say it again, that's a case where it's entirely mis-used, and like I mentioned, it would be easy to identify whether the usage is acceptable or not.

The usage of "bricked" goes way long back, and you'll notice how it's not used that often, and most importantly, where it's used for, and how.
Dubiousity wrote:What ever happened to "just kidding"?
I took the effort to keep the usage of them all at a balance, I have my fair share of using "just kidding" in some situations, again I said, when compared, "bricked" is mostly a personal alternative for that, in the end, it's the same thing.
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I so badly want to say "^ That". It just sounds better to me in any case.
Yeap, probably as you said, "in your case". But doesn't matter, I'll take that neutrally, first.
Psykeout wrote: which has all the same problems as Bricked except it's even more stupid to say, as you'll probably kill yourself doing that so much.

Preferable over Bricked, but really if you need to put something to let people know you're joking, you should probably not be joking at all, because you're doing an awful job and people should be able to tell when you're joking and you're a bad person and should feel bad. *Bricked*
Now I should probably now ask, is there a particular reason people are targetting this behaviour? Nevermind, I'll answer it myself first, I would understand if it's annoying, but like I said, it doesn't make it any less suggestive for other similar alternative like "lol just kidding, I don't mean it :P" (there I squeezed them all in one).

Ever heard of cartoon humour? There you'll probably get a hint, I'll have to state that the visual element in "bricked" and "shot" are expressed easier, as in cartoon format, it's the same as what I mentioned just now, getting kick in the foot, or getting smacked on the head.

It's almost the same when you often hear "Hey Chill down man! I'm just kidding/joking/pulling your legs" when someone accidently offended a person because the person didn't get the joke. Now we convert it visually, it's the equivalent of "Oh I said something stupid and I should get smacked in the head", take it with a hint of cartoon humour and violence, and you'll get something a tad exaggerated like "bricked", or like in Tom and Jerry, where "Tom went stupid and trying to catch Jerry who's hiding in his hole, ended up getting caught in the the mouse trap, and "rewarded" with a blistering hand/paw."
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:
Xane wrote:Both *bricked* and *shot* are still tons less annoying than *psych!/sike!* that was so popular in the '90s. Ugh.
Well I must admit that is true, however, the word now-a-days is used probably 5 times as much as psych ever was. Makes it hard to hold a conversation without spastic randomness flying in with bricks everywhere.
I probably should not look to the internet to hold normal conversations. XP
Well I'll first apologize for I have no idea what *psych!/sike!* means, and it'll probably a good idea we leave it out, for we can't really compare something personal with something that's widely used.

If you want to hold a conversation, atleast, I'm glad to do so. You'll probably get a few ignorant people here and there occasionally, but I'm pretty sure most of us are understanding enough to do so, provided you actually offer it first. I myself have been refraining myself from overusing it too much. And there goes another point, I sometimes used it to lighten up the atmosphere, especially in a conversation, for several reasons.
NickCole wrote:... Though, I would understand that it's been overused lately and stuff but forcing people to stop using it doesn't feel right just 'cause you find it annoying or weird. (Or even violent, in some cases.)
Like I have mentioned just now as well, I have taken the liberty to force myself to stop using it, for the feedback we got aren't very.. pleasant. Furthermore, the way people overusing and misuse it have, more or less, irk'd me enough to try to keep the standard, though I can't do much myself as a normal member there.
Psykeout wrote:Smoking is a habit. Doesn't make it less annoying/bad/blah.
Smoking: Unhealthy, often ends up in addiction, claiming it's a habit would be a tad off, and it's a global phenomenon.
The common thing between them is, people do it, others get annoyed by it, *FOR* it's not something everyone does.

Personal stuff can ended up as a habit, which applies to the "bricked" or similar. I myself have observed quite a bit, the "bricked" is initially used as a small personal habit of saying "I'm just kidding", how it got picked up by others and become the phenomenon we know today is beyond me. Simply comparing it to smoking would be a gross overstatement, it's an addiction and it's gonna be hard to get rid off, and for the fact that it affects the health of the smoker *and* those who're close to, as well as the alarming rate of increase in smoking-inflicted disease, it's common that the "habit" is viewed as bad, and most importantly, this is not a personal opinion, as opposed to the "bricked" phenomenon.
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:I am not sure I can call it to much of a bad trait, but it does get bad when it is over used true.
It'll all ended up being annoying no matter what stuff is overused, like I said, how it's being picked up and spread that far, is both beyond me and out of my control, I personally would prefer if it's kept in a small circle. No matter what it is, people would get annoyed and perhaps even threatened when something is taking over what they're involved in.

------------

Ok now, all in all, to be honest, this is a very old subject if anyone's curious, we have talked this through and it's been quite some times that we got enough feedback that we have been refraining from pushing it too much, but that only applies to some people, for now. For even we, have no control over what others want to do with it, and we can't do anything either if people misuse it. Perhaps a little private talk? I don't know, but I'm pretty sure it's very likely not everyone will be satisfied and that it'll most likely ended up in a vicious cycle.
Tattorack

Post by Tattorack »

TOO. MUCH. TO. READ!
But he has some points though...
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I like excessive bricking. *bricked*
When I was reading the earlier Sonic the Hedgehog comics, Sonic's common usage of "Not!" made me cringe so hard.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Psykeout

Post by Psykeout »

CY_Law wrote:
Psykeout wrote: which has all the same problems as Bricked except it's even more stupid to say, as you'll probably kill yourself doing that so much.

Now I should probably now ask, is there a particular reason people are targetting this behaviour? Nevermind, I'll answer it myself first, I would understand if it's annoying, but like I said, it doesn't make it any less suggestive for other similar alternative like "lol just kidding, I don't mean it :P" (there I squeezed them all in one).

Ever heard of cartoon humour? There you'll probably get a hint, I'll have to state that the visual element in "bricked" and "shot" are expressed easier, as in cartoon format, it's the same as what I mentioned just now, getting kick in the foot, or getting smacked on the head.

It's almost the same when you often hear "Hey Chill down man! I'm just kidding/joking/pulling your legs" when someone accidently offended a person because the person didn't get the joke. Now we convert it visually, it's the equivalent of "Oh I said something stupid and I should get smacked in the head", take it with a hint of cartoon humour and violence, and you'll get something a tad exaggerated like "bricked", or like in Tom and Jerry, where "Tom went stupid and trying to catch Jerry who's hiding in his hole, ended up getting caught in the the mouse trap, and "rewarded" with a blistering hand/paw."
Well yeah, I understand the logic behind it. and this is a fine point. Like I said, you don't need to use any of them. Just say what you were going to say and leave of the :P, lol, *bricked*, or what have you.
bwah bwah
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Much of cartoon humor comes from unpredictability. Using the same physical gag every time you say something as a joke ends up falling flat.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Psykeout wrote:Smoking is a habit. Doesn't make it less annoying/bad/blah.
I actually dont mind it
I like the smell of cigarette smoke, that and some of the best conversations I've ever had have taken place while standing outside while one of my friends has a smoke.

Sleet wrote:When I was reading the earlier Sonic the Hedgehog comics, Sonic's common usage of "Not!" made me cringe so hard.
I think we're all glad we don't have to live through 90's slang ever again.

I dont paticularly mind or care for *Brickd* its no different than people who overuse XD and similar emoticons, in excess it will inevitably get annoying.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz