25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

TensaZangetsu

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by TensaZangetsu »

Dissension wrote:
Seth wrote:Not sure if I'd ever feel comfortable wearing anything even vaugely furry related.
Maybe if it was just animal themed and not obviously furry.
What about this?

Can I borrow that sometime :) ? I don't care what people say about me :P their oppinion doesn't matter to me.
Only people who I care about's oppinion matter... This is very few.
To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

You could probably buy your own. :p
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I had a Lion King shirt at one point, which was like two sizes two small for me, that I bought simply because it was Lion King. I even wore it once or twice, but now I can't find it. :(

Aside from that, I don't really have any non-furry furry apparel. Though if I could find a cool shirt related to Starfox, I'd totally get it. I've also got several shirts with big cats on them (mostly from zoos and other animal-based attractions) that I wear on a semi-regular basis. :D
Alastair

Post by Alastair »

I think it would be cool to have a shirt that doesn't yell 'furry' but hints at it a little.
Life is Music, and Music is Life
------------------
My songs: http://www.soundcloud.com/onevirtue

Check out my FA page too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That's the best furry stuff, honestly. If you just wear the label it's in bad taste.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

Closest thing to a furry shirt I have is a Foxhound shirt.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I don't think I even own a shirt with an animal on it..........
KJOokami wrote:How 'bout something like this?
Well besides being incredibly tacky there's nothin wrong with it.........
:P

I'm thinking about getting a tatoo of the rabbit from Donnie Darko, don't know if that counts as furry???
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
The Grey Wolverine

I don't think so, that would be like saying my Foxhound shirt is furry, think about it for a second, its possibly not anthropomorphic, it has no bearings to the furry fandom, and it is from a movie unrelated to the fandom, so in short no.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Seth wrote:
I'm jus' try'na help a Corgi out, man. Shooooot.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

I think the Donny Darko rabbit would count as 1) creepy and 2)movie reference, not furry. Never watched the movie, but I've seen the rabbit. Kinda like a creepy Harvey. Same with most movie references, though. The Foxhound t-shirt would be Metal Gear Solid, to which I nod my head in approval, but it isn't even roughly related to furry if you ask me, seeing as it is an organization. It'd be like calling the Navy SEALS furry.

Then again, many things in the past have been used as a hint at something with just the slightest ounce of relation, so if its commonly accepted amongst furries, then it would pass.
"Rancid - its like a wine or cheese." "Or like roadkill!" ".....or like roadkill...."
Not a dead wizard
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

KJOokami wrote:
Seth wrote:
I'm jus' try'na help a Corgi out, man. Shooooot.
mannnnn that shirt ain't got no swag.....can't be messin up my look.
RancidRabbit wrote:I think the Donny Darko rabbit would count as 1) creepy .
well that's kinda what I'm going for.........
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Then 'tis very much perfect, good sir Seth!
"Rancid - its like a wine or cheese." "Or like roadkill!" ".....or like roadkill...."
Not a dead wizard
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

RancidRabbit wrote:The Foxhound t-shirt would be Metal Gear Solid, to which I nod my head in approval, but it isn't even roughly related to furry if you ask me, seeing as it is an organization.
Snake, Ocelot... totally furry, man. Don't deny it.
The Grey Wolverine

Well Ocelot only has his name because he was involved with the Spetsnaz as a major in the Ocelot unit, I dont really know where they got Snake from.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

It was written on the box of course!

Also, I've actually seen a flash where they make them all the animals they're named after. It was a silly thirty seconds.
Not a dead wizard
The Grey Wolverine

Did they do it with Decoy Octopus?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

The Grey Wolverine wrote:I dont really know where they got Snake from.
Fuuuuuuurrrrryyyyy~

:p
RancidRabbit wrote:Also, I've actually seen a flash where they make them all the animals they're named after. It was a silly thirty seconds.
I have to see this now. Lol.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Its Super Nintendo compilation, but spelled really funny. Its on youtube.....Anyway, thinking of your claims, Seth, does the relation to an animal just make things furry? This is very confusing.
Not a dead wizard
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

RancidRabbit wrote:Its Super Nintendo compilation, but spelled really funny. Its on youtube.....Anyway, thinking of your claims, Seth, does the relation to an animal just make things furry? This is very confusing.
Nah, I don't think so......
to me it has to have some kind of anthro animals to be furry
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
The Grey Wolverine

I don't conciser things to be furry unless it is meant to be furry, for example I think of my fursona Grey as furry but I don't think of things like the Argonians and Kajiks of the Elder Scrolls games to be furry.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Very enlightening. I'd just hate for any of my claims to be off, though I guess I'm the non-furry so I represent the claims of the average joe. I'd say furry is pretty specific from my view. Fursonas, fursuits, the like. Housepets! I wouldn't consider furry since they are animals and portray that role, but I've also read Altermeta which I'd consider furry...er...lizardy? since its supplementing humans. You just kinda know what to call what, honestly. For me it just usually requires a billboard.
Not a dead wizard
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I don't really see it as necessary to try to be furry. It's more the art itself than the artist's intention!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Sleet wrote:
GunRacer wrote:Wonder how long it'll be until furry stuff doesn't raise eyebrows more than anything else... a decade? Two?
Depends what you mean by "furry stuff." Probably a decade or a bit less for being a furry. If you wear tails, ears, collars, etc., probably never.
That's so pessimistic. The furry fandom is really quite charming and adorable in its purest form, I think that it could be very popular one day, but that would require a lot of time, energy, and money. It would also require an ambitious person to lead it (someone would have to make the decisions that the general furry populace would avoid making) as well as to unify the many furry communes and factions that currently exist. But, unfortunately, furries have a very destinct lack of ambition, and most feel as though they need to keep their involvement with this subculture private.

It is a shame, really. A subculture so common and universal as the Furry Fandom would be very successful and could do a lot of good work (the fandom, if made popular, could raise a lot of money for all kinds of charities and causes related to animals, endangered species, and environmental conservation). And we could help eachother out too; most furries are creative artists, we could set up different events and conventions to display our artistic skills to each other and to those outside the fandom. If there were an organisation behind it perhaps it could help furries have their paintings put in art galleries, publish creative writing, and so much more. We could even get some of the more talented furries (such as Rick) to set up classes to help their fellow furries improve on their own talents. And it would be a great way for the more socially withdrawn members of society to involve themselves with other people, and this generally happens now anyway but only on a small scale.

(Sigh) But this is just a dream, a dream that may never be realised.

Sleet wrote:FURRY PRIDE
Furry Pride? Is that some kind of furry supremacist group?
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I think you'll see it gradually become more accepted, but it's first exposure to the mainstream wasn't exactly the best first impression, so it's kind of an uphill climb.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
The Grey Wolverine

But Seth, an uphill climb is always easier with the proper equipment.
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Just throwing in my two cents here, as a non-furry who may be entirely wrong with this assessment:

The only real reason the furry fandom isn't universally accepted, or at the very least mostly ambivalently regarded, is because of the prevalence and noticeability of the more... unsavory parts of the subculture. While the whole group isn't made up of perverts - nor a majority, or even a large minority - there's enough attention given to the raunchier drawings or side-room events to stunt social acceptance of the community.

For example, it's a fair bet that most people savvy with the internet would associate the word 'furry' with the more questionable parts of FurAffinity, or the occasional total psycho who happens to be into anthropomorphic creatures. This is because of one simple fact - controversial things are psychologically given more importance in our mind than to the unequivocally innocent things; they are inherently high-profile.

So until the furry fandom can find a way to curtail or downplay the more scandalous parts of its community, then nothing they do will be able to change the idea that the fandom is just scandalous by nature.
Reminiscence: A Tale of Dreams - Complete
An Experiment - Ongoing: Story 2, 'The Babylon Incident', in progress!
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

What was its first exposure to mainstream? I think I've known of furry, though not by title, since I was eight; Sister drew anthro-squirrels cause she couldn't draw people too well. Recently been seeing it at conventions in the past (passed?) year, but don't know what got it started.
Not a dead wizard
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

RancidRabbit wrote:What was its first exposure to mainstream? I think I've known of furry, though not by title, since I was eight; Sister drew anthro-squirrels cause she couldn't draw people too well. Recently been seeing it at conventions in the past (passed?) year, but don't know what got it started.
I'm not sure if anybody can pinpoint the start of media attention exactly, but Wikipedia states that Loaded and Vanity Fair, along with other magazines, focused on the seedier parts of the furry community. This reporting has continued until somewhat recently, as coverage has begun to become a bit less biased.

The term 'furry' itself has been around since the 1980's, possibly earlier.
Reminiscence: A Tale of Dreams - Complete
An Experiment - Ongoing: Story 2, 'The Babylon Incident', in progress!
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Huh, well ya learn something new every day. And, I'd agree with you on how media is just digging into closets now-a-days to attract attention. Nothing like the -eh- things to get people reading. Very sad that's what they do, though.
Not a dead wizard
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I made sure to watch that episode just so I knew what it was like. It was ridiculous. And dear Lord that show is stupid. I don't see how people can watch it.

At MFF, 2 the gryphon was talking about how he was interviewed for Vanity Fair. He gave very reasonable, normal responses, so they ended up completely fabricating his interview. Right down to a particularly amusing factual error of him doing unspeakable things with his girlfriend. :P

The media is not kind to furries.
The Grey Wolverine

Yet we are generally kind to them, well, some of us are I'm sure.
RancidRabbit

Post by RancidRabbit »

Being kind is what you need to do, well, unless its PETA throwing paint on a bunch of bikers at a motorcycle rally, that's just asking for violence. I still laugh at the stories, but I digress. If you want positive media, you can really only be nice and hope they don't twist it. Eventually you should be able to out nice them....eventually.
Not a dead wizard
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Well yes and no, media coverage is always going to focus on the most sensational story. So to an extent you're right but the media will still tend to highlight the crazies because that's what people want to read.
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz
MilesKingford

Post by MilesKingford »

Ah, the deviants (I hate having to talk about them, mostly because they kill off conversations in this thread, so I will be very brief), we would simply have to take a hard line and stick to it, regardless of anything else.

As for the media, the media companies do love the most horrific stories they can get, which is why we will have to ensure they don't get such an opportunity, once the fandom is popular enough to give the media companies pause that is when we can bring them on our side. If they come to recognise that being friendly with a growing fandom would be in their best interests, as well as in ours, then we can use the media companies to gain more recognition. But we would have to be careful, a single slip (even a minor one) could be very damaging, and the media companies have no alligences other than to make money.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

The best thing for the fandom's image is real exposure. Seeing furries, meeting furries, talking to furries, etc. The media can't put spin on us if the public is experiencing us without the media to twist things.
Therolyn

Post by Therolyn »

While the media focus on the seediest part of the underbelly of groups considered minorities, we will never get anything more than the picture of the worse from them.
Werebilby For the Period of Easter - Please fellow Australians do not forget our little guy, the bilby
Nurematsu Zenpaw

Post by Nurematsu Zenpaw »

Therolyn wrote:While the media focus on the seediest part of the underbelly of groups considered minorities, we will never get anything more than the picture of the worse from them.
That stuff piques reader interest a lot more than what the majority of furries are in the fandom for.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I dunno, to me being a furry is not a label I care to wear. It's too much of a social cluster you know what and also why let people know I'm a member of a oversexualized, drama powered subculture full of budding socialpaths? ;D
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Because sociopathy is fun? I know I like being the only person who matters.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Foxstar wrote:I dunno, to me being a furry is not a label I care to wear. It's too much of a social cluster you know what and also why let people know I'm a member of a oversexualized, drama powered subculture full of budding socialpaths? ;D
so, you went to public school?

(Don't worry I did too so I'm allowed to make the joke :P )
I think in Non-sequiturs

Trash boiz