Are You A Furry?

Putting dead threads to bed, Jed

Moderator: ArcWolf

Locked

Do you consider yourself a furry?

No
87
25%
Yes
261
75%
 
Total votes: 348

User avatar
TheAdamBo
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:58 pm
Location: TEH UNIVERSE!!!
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by TheAdamBo »

This is kind of a weird subject for me. I don't consider myself a furry, but the fact remains that I have a great appreciation for furry comics and books. Comics like this one draw me in more than ones based on humans do. Still, I think that's because I like the diversity in the cast that a furry comic brings rather than the fact that they're actually furries. Even the stories I write and publish could even be considered furry if you were inclined to look at it that way- a couple have even gotten fairly positive reactions when i uploaded them to SoFurry. So no, I don't consider myself a furry, but I guess *technically* I could still be labeled one. Whatever floats ya boat :)

User avatar
matthew Wolf
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: in the depths between time and space

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by matthew Wolf »

if you have a fursona i think your a furry <3
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same

User avatar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Posts: 14215
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Down under Down Under
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

I don't think having a fursona is essential to being furry. I've met a few furries in my limited experience of the fandom that don't have one.
The definition of furry that we've always used here is "one whose enjoyment of media is caused or enhanced by the presence of anthropomorphic or animal characters". But really furry can be whatever you want to make it and really it all boils down to whether you think you're furry or not. If you think you are then you are but if you think you're not then you're not. Simple as that. ;)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Image

User avatar
Cesco
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Cesco »

Hlaoroo wrote:I don't think having a fursona is essential to being furry. I've met a few furries in my limited experience of the fandom that don't have one.
Can be, but IMHO it's an important thing because it creates your identity in the fandom, where people present themself in that form constructed as they want. I don't have one, so simply I don't define myself a furry and part of the fandom...
I think that the time dedication and addicting counts a lot too: if they're high, you can define yourself a furry.
Hlaoroo wrote:The definition of furry that we've always used here is "one whose enjoyment of media is caused or enhanced by the presence of anthropomorphic or animal characters".
It's pretty so in my case.
Hlaoroo wrote:But really furry can be whatever you want to make it and really it all boils down to whether you think you're furry or not. If you think you are then you are but if you think you're not then you're not. Simple as that. ;)
Right, this because the meaning of being furry or not it's not defined. It's subjective, based on the personal opinion, experience and own feeling of being such or not.
Image

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17280
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

You don't need a fursona to be part of the fandom, you don't need a fursona to be a furry, and you don't need to be part of the fandom to be a furry...
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

User avatar
Duster
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 am
Location: Deep In The Heart of TEXAS

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Duster »

Sleet wrote:You don't need a fursona to be part of the fandom, you don't need a fursona to be a furry, and you don't need to be part of the fandom to be a furry...
But that begs the question, can you be labeled a furry?

For instance, lets say you don't have internet access and you live out in the country with nothing for "entertainment" but a portable dvd player and some old books. What if you have quite a few items pertaining to anthropomorphized media, like certain anthropomorphic characters or stories involving human-like animals? Again, no one has ever introduced you to the fandom and you have never heard of furries. Would you still be categorized as a "furry" or is that simply a broad moniker that we tote around to relate to our subject matter of personal interest?
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Image

User avatar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Posts: 14215
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Down under Down Under
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

Can you be a Trekkie or a Whovian without belonging to the fandom? You don't have to belong to the fandom in order to like something.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Image

User avatar
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles
Posts: 3018
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: The Housepets Forum ^^

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Obbl »

Since our definition relies on a self assessment, only you can call yourself a furry.
But not being a furry doesn't exclude you from liking furry works, and being a furry doesn't mean you have to be active in the fandom.
It's all your opinion of your interests.
Of course I would tend to assume that person is/would be a furry if they knew what the term meant.
Image

User avatar
Nyaliva
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:18 am
Location: Australia

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Nyaliva »

Hlaoroo wrote:Can you be a Trekkie or a Whovian without belonging to the fandom? You don't have to belong to the fandom in order to like something.
I'm a Whovian in the sense that I love and know a lot about Doctor Who - I have a larger collection of DW DVDs than my step-father who grew up with DW and considers it a massive part of his childhood - and yet I haven't even spoken to many other people who like DW as much as I do, let alone been involved in any kind of fandom.

I think a better term to use for things like that is 'anorak' which I recently learnt of. It's apparently British slang for someone who has a very strong interest in a niche subject. It's meant to be somewhat mocking but it's a lot softer than a lot of other nasty things people say about enthusiasts of different things, including furries. But yeah, as Hlaoroo said, you're only furry if you want to be, no-one can say otherwise. I think the biggest problem is the derogatory manner with which the term furry is used. People literally can't call themselves furry because other people recognise it immediately as a bad thing, when what they're thinking doesn't apply to that person.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17280
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

I'd say I'm probably a Whovian but I involve myself zero with the fandom.
Duster wrote:For instance, lets say you don't have internet access and you live out in the country with nothing for "entertainment" but a portable dvd player and some old books. What if you have quite a few items pertaining to anthropomorphized media, like certain anthropomorphic characters or stories involving human-like animals? Again, no one has ever introduced you to the fandom and you have never heard of furries. Would you still be categorized as a "furry" or is that simply a broad moniker that we tote around to relate to our subject matter of personal interest?
I would say that person could still be very much a furry.
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

User avatar
tychoaussie
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:00 pm
Location: East lansing, MI

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by tychoaussie »

Duster wrote:
Sleet wrote:You don't need a fursona to be part of the fandom, you don't need a fursona to be a furry, and you don't need to be part of the fandom to be a furry...
But that begs the question, can you be labeled a furry?

For instance, lets say you don't have internet access and you live out in the country with nothing for "entertainment" but a portable dvd player and some old books. What if you have quite a few items pertaining to anthropomorphized media, like certain anthropomorphic characters or stories involving human-like animals? Again, no one has ever introduced you to the fandom and you have never heard of furries. Would you still be categorized as a "furry" or is that simply a broad moniker that we tote around to relate to our subject matter of personal interest?
That sounds like me , up until late 2009. I never heard of furry fandom. Yet I was writing, drawing, and dreaming this genre off and on since, ohman... 1978?

so, I take it back... Im not a furry, I'm an anthropomorphic genre enthusiast.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17280
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

I thought that's what a furry is.
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

User avatar
Duster
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:44 am
Location: Deep In The Heart of TEXAS

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Duster »

Sleet wrote:I thought that's what a furry is.
Pretty much!

The only stigma I have is that the furry fandom Is often seen in the public eye as something perverse and reprehensible. I say I'm furry or that I like furry related things and suddenly I'm "that" guy. Kudos to those of y'all who are brave enough, but I just hate that a lot people cast our lot as a pariah group.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Image

User avatar
matthew Wolf
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: in the depths between time and space

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by matthew Wolf »

i have bean showing my furry side a little more recently ... i tnink i might just dress as a wolf for hollowean if that doesent say something nothing will X3
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same

User avatar
tychoaussie
Posts: 298
Joined: Mon May 14, 2012 12:00 pm
Location: East lansing, MI

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by tychoaussie »

Duster wrote: The only stigma I have is that the furry fandom Is often seen in the public eye as something perverse and reprehensible. I say I'm furry or that I like furry related things and suddenly I'm "that" guy. Kudos to those of y'all who are brave enough, but I just hate that a lot people cast our lot as a pariah group.
The stigma you experience is unfortunate. Some of us are trying to change that. It takes a lot of people who can stick to morals honor, and integrity, and live the talk. Unfortunately it only takes a few who cannot do so to ensure that the stigma remains.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.

User avatar
Nyaliva
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:18 am
Location: Australia

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Nyaliva »

tychoaussie wrote:so, I take it back... Im not a furry, I'm an anthropomorphic genre enthusiast.
Yay! Someone else who's started using the phrase! :D

If anyone asks if I'm a furry, I either ask what their definition is first and then say yes or no based on that or, if I already have a pretty good idea of what their definition is, I say "no, I'm an anthropomorphic enthusiast".

Because really, those furries who just like the art style shouldn't have to be differentiated from the kinds of people that like Impressionism or 17th century sculptures or what have you.
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book

0404

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by 0404 »

I've been to a place where everyone tires to define "Furry" and make their theory and argue it over immensely.
It's like hell.

Leaving someone to decide what "furry" is, but not when they simply think furry = sexually provocative things, and if they are furry or not is the best and safest way to go.

But I often tell Jeff to be "one of us" as a joke XD
Last edited by 0404 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Cesco
Posts: 4159
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Cesco »

Nyaliva wrote:
tychoaussie wrote:so, I take it back... Im not a furry, I'm an anthropomorphic genre enthusiast.
Yay! Someone else who's started using the phrase! :D

If anyone asks if I'm a furry, I either ask what their definition is first and then say yes or no based on that or, if I already have a pretty good idea of what their definition is, I say "no, I'm an anthropomorphic enthusiast".
I agree. Since there isn't a clear definition of the furry term, because it's based according to the own and people's different opinions, it's better say to be an "anthropomorphic genre enthusiast", it goes right to the point. There's an huge confusion in this argument, anyway...
Nyaliva wrote:Because really, those furries who just like the art style shouldn't have to be differentiated from the kinds of people that like Impressionism or 17th century sculptures or what have you.
Right, the category it's the same. This is can be considered an artistic movement like the others that there have been.
Image

User avatar
JeffCvt
Posts: 2854
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:33 pm
Location: Somewhere between 8:30 and the color red

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by JeffCvt »

texascat018 wrote:But I often tell Jeff to be "one of us" as a joke XD
By some definitions, I guess I am a furry.

I follow 6 furry webcomics and moderate a forum that is about 80% furry. I think that counts enough to say I'm into the furry fandom.

The real reason I don't call myself one is that furry stuff has absolutely no draw for me over non-furry stuff. I enjoy seeing well done pieces of furry art, but I also enjoy seeing well done pieces of art that have nothing to do with humanized animals. I prefer to see a well done picture rather than one with an animal.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit

User avatar
Nyaliva
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:18 am
Location: Australia

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Nyaliva »

That's a good point, Jeff. I'm much the same, in fact I started reading more furry stuff simply because it was better drawn than a lot of the non-furry stuff. Still - to put a different spin on it - if I was forced to choose between them, I'd rather see a poorly done piece of furry art than a poorly done piece of non-furry art. But that may be the Uncanny Valley talking. :shrug:
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book

User avatar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Posts: 14215
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Down under Down Under
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

You know, until I heard the term "furry" on here and found out what it's actually about, I only ever thought of myself as an animal enthusiast. I never even added "anthropomorphic" since I never realised it was a separate genre.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Image

User avatar
matthew Wolf
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: in the depths between time and space

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by matthew Wolf »

i dont really see the difference between furry and anthro art i onely see a small difference in the style but there still both walking talking animals with thumbs
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same

User avatar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Posts: 14215
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Down under Down Under
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

I didn't know there was a difference...
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Image

User avatar
matthew Wolf
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:04 pm
Location: in the depths between time and space

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by matthew Wolf »

i have heard people say there is i dont really see it though
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same

User avatar
TheInsaneMaster
Posts: 42
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:40 am

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by TheInsaneMaster »

Hard to say... I do like furries and anthromorphic(i hope i spelled it right) animals, but I'm not sure if that counts as a furry.
Image

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17280
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

There isn't a difference.
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

User avatar
Nyaliva
Posts: 437
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:18 am
Location: Australia

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Nyaliva »

The only difference is the one in your minds! *bricked*
Hlaoroo wrote:You know, until I heard the term "furry" on here and found out what it's actually about, I only ever thought of myself as an animal enthusiast. I never even added "anthropomorphic" since I never realised it was a separate genre.
Same, I only learnt of the term 'anthropomorphic' after I learned about furry art. I like it though, and not just because it has fewer negative connotations than the term 'furry' (which I think is why people think there must be a difference between the two).
Feel like you need a friend? I'm happy to talk anytime! :D

I'm on DeviantArt now!
Currently working on: "The Warriors" Book

User avatar
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 am
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Foxstar »

matthew Wolf wrote:i dont really see the difference between furry and anthro art i onely see a small difference in the style but there still both walking talking animals with thumbs
There's a fairly large difference. Not all anthro stuff uses animals, less sexualied, etc.

User avatar
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!
Posts: 14215
Joined: Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:09 am
Location: Down under Down Under
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Hlaoroo »

But the point we were making is that furry stuff doesn't HAVE to be sexualised and that that's where the stigma about furries comes from!
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Image

User avatar
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
Posts: 1689
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:00 am
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Foxstar »

Fair enough.

0404

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by 0404 »

TheInsaneMaster wrote:Hard to say... I do like furries and anthromorphic(i hope i spelled it right) animals, but I'm not sure if that counts as a furry.
hummm,

I don't consider Tony the tiger as a furry animal, even though it is anthro, because it doesn't branch off from "Furry Fandom".
It is anthro; however it doesn't originate form someone having much interest in anthropomorphic animals. It's just a general anthro animal for me.

User avatar
Silly Zealot
Posts: 1770
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:48 am
Location: The land of the dulce de leche!

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Silly Zealot »

texascat018 wrote:I don't consider Tony the tiger as a furry animal, even though it is anthro, because it doesn't branch off from "Furry Fandom".
It is anthro; however it doesn't originate form someone having much interest in anthropomorphic animals. It's just a general anthro animal for me.
Even though it was not created by people from the furry fandom, or with the furry fandom in fact, it pretty much fits the definition, sadly.
Nyaliva wrote:
tychoaussie wrote:so, I take it back... Im not a furry, I'm an anthropomorphic genre enthusiast.
Yay! Someone else who's started using the phrase! :D

If anyone asks if I'm a furry, I either ask what their definition is first and then say yes or no based on that or, if I already have a pretty good idea of what their definition is, I say "no, I'm an anthropomorphic enthusiast".
Euphemisms are to me what mondays are to Garfield!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!

0404

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by 0404 »

Silly Zealot wrote:
texascat018 wrote:I don't consider Tony the tiger as a furry animal, even though it is anthro, because it doesn't branch off from "Furry Fandom".
It is anthro; however it doesn't originate form someone having much interest in anthropomorphic animals. It's just a general anthro animal for me.
Even though it was not created by people from the furry fandom, or with the furry fandom in fact, it pretty much fits the definition, sadly.
I disagree. But like I said "Leaving someone to decide what "furry" is, but not when they simply think furry = sexually provocative things, and if they are furry or not is the best and safest way to go. " I'm not going to interfere with someone else's idea.

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17280
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

Technically there can be anthropomorphic things that aren't furry. The Brave Little Toaster and Veggie Tales come to mind. But most of the time it's animals and that's what people think of.
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

User avatar
Argent
Posts: 5957
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Argent »

Elves, gnomes, kobolds, boggies, leprechauns, gods, spirits, angels, devils, all anthropomorphic manifestations of nature.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @

User avatar
Kyuunado
Posts: 1682
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 3:43 pm
Location: Skulking in Hatfield, England

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Kyuunado »

They be sneaking into yo TV, sneaking into yo folklore and sneaking into yo media! :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17280
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

Argent wrote:Elves, gnomes, kobolds, boggies, leprechauns, gods, spirits, angels, devils, all anthropomorphic manifestations of nature.
I don't think that's true?
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

User avatar
Argent
Posts: 5957
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Argent »

Yeh, it is, it really is. Anthropomorphism means the assigning of human attributes to non-human things, and that can be the storm and bad luck just as much a cat or a toaster.

Speaking of assigning human attributes to cats, putting human facial hair on animal faces just wigs me out. It breaks my science-fictional suspension of disbelief.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @

User avatar
Macsen
Posts: 1849
Joined: Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:53 am
Location: Orlando, FL USA

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Macsen »

Furry and anthropomorphic are not one and the same.

Certainly not everything that is anthropomorphic is furry, as Sleet pointed out.

Furry also isn't completely 100% anthropomorphic, since there are those whose characters are actual "dumb" animals.
Image
Image

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17280
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

How many of those animals are literally like normal animals? At the very least they tend to pick up human attributes like speech or intelligence.
Argent wrote:Yeh, it is, it really is. Anthropomorphism means the assigning of human attributes to non-human things, and that can be the storm and bad luck just as much a cat or a toaster.
Things like elves, gnomes and the likes are usually seen as actual races of beings, not anthropomorphic representations of nature and the likes. I guess they can in some cases be represented as anthropomorphicizations of nature, but I would hardly call them that in general.
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

Locked